Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-06-2006, 09:38 AM   #31
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the mid 1980's at Easter time Queensland cops were on TV encouriging people to flash their headlights to warn other motorist of speed traps! That was when it was about saving lives NOT just about revinue raising.
Every 'K' Over is a Dollar For Us!!!
The only time i don't flash is for a speed trap in a School Zone,they deserve to be caught.
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 10:17 AM   #32
AUIIIXR8
Formerly AU2XLSV8

Pathetic. Not interested in saving lives. Once an area is known as a camara hot spot everyone slows down considerably as an everyday practice.

Flashing your lights is the only effective way to warn motorists of any road hazzard ahead. That is apart from stopping and waving your arms. Your hardly doing to do that for a minor issue ahead though are you.

So it's illegal to warn other road users of speed cameras and general road hazzards by using your best tool to do so.

Eh NO. I'll continue to do so. If i get caight i'll even spend a day in court fighting over it.

There is a couple of general rules used to govern the speed zones and other general road rules in most other major countries. 1. Common sense 2. (for speed) Take the mean speed of any given roadway as traveled by it's passengers (that is take away the bottom and top 10% and average the rest) and theres your speed limit.

I think it even says it here in a mission statement from the police or road authority somewhere. Something like: No road rule will be enforced if the vast majorrity of the public do not obide by the rule. It is basically saying that if the rule is considered unfit or poorly administered then it will default to become invalid.

I also want to know what the hell happened to research into speed zones for the appropriate speed limit to be imposed. Several speed zones around the sunny coast have been altered (lower) with no due cause. One in particular is a straight stretch of road that was 100 and now is 80. If you happened to spear off the road you'd be met by a mass of sugar cane.

The headlight thing is simply rediculous. I would suggest that EVERYONE make a point of flashing thier lights when they see ANY road hazzard including cameras. If enough people do it it will soon become accepted practice again.

The idea is to slow people down in certain areas isn't it. If not and if it is impeding the police then i will be guilty. Maybe we should start considering changing our nations title away from being a democracy. Seams we have no say in the rules we are imposed with and that not many if any of our local or state council and government representatives are actually representing the public. There are better ways to reduce the road toll.

Past
EL 6 S/C - sold
AUII XLS V8 Stroker - sold
99' Laser (runabout) - sold
BA Fairmont - sold
AU III XR8 220 - sold (so should have kept this one)
AU III XLS Tickford 6 - sold

Formerly AU2XLSV8
AUIIIXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #33
BlackLS

I rarely but sometimes induldge on Saturday night, seeing ricers and the VL crew blatantly speeding in the opposite direction(like 120 in 70 zone), flashing my headlights and seeing all them jump on the brakes.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 10:49 AM   #34
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
most cameras are hidden or unidentified, so u could argue all day that u didnt see them, seeing as they are hidding anyway.
I agree it would be hard for them to prove. I would take them on in court, you wouldn't lose.
Old 20-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #35
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

well i think it's good that speed cameras are about, but not how they are used. I think they are a real deterant (are for me anyway). Whilst i don't agree with many of the speed laws, liscencing laws and i believe many of the road rules need simplifying. I think having speed cameras is better then not policing the roads "speed" issues would be far worse.
Think about this:
1. You get booked doing 60 in a school zone, he was "hiding"....lets face it you deserve it. (not getting into poorley places school zones etc, but as i said some of the laws need changing/simplifying)
2. you get booked exceding the limit on a busy town road... Bad luck....you still deserve it, if you can't organise yourself to have plenty of time, the speeding ticket should not only serve as a deterant not to speed but get your crap togeather. If you cause someone whiplash which intern prevents them from working for the rest of the life(worst case scenerio) how good would you feel then...but hey you were gunna get there on time.
3. you get booked on the highway or freeway doing 100+stupidheadkph....you shouldn't be allowed back in a car, end of story, if you have no respect for the laws that "bind" our society have recless abandon for your own life and no care for others live around you, then you need your kicked in a way that will cause you to reassess your choices.
eg if you get done doing 170...the excuse "i didn't realise" wears a bit thin.

4. if you get booked doing 1-5pkh over the speed limit. this is where i feel for you, it's rubbish, i think the line should be at 5pkh+ it gives you leway, going down hills/uphills etc, and caters for a bit of misjudgement.

IF the fines and punishment fit the crime, then and only then would the police deterant work. Until that point there will be real deterant, just a revenue raising venture.
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #36
mUTHA
DALLY 41

are radar detectors illegal in wa? since when?
i still see bout 30% of cars driving with them
my familys always had them and never been fined
mUTHA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 12:07 PM   #37
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Radar Detectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mUTHA
are radar detectors illegal in wa? since when?
i still see bout 30% of cars driving with them
my familys always had them and never been fined
WA has always been the last bastian for Radar Detectors. I don't know if the law has changed but I know WA is the only state where they can be sold legally. A place called Neltronics used to sell them & ship Aust wide.
Old 20-06-2006, 12:26 PM   #38
janek
Ripping it up

i rekon radar detectors should be allowed on the highway. simply because if you sneeze doing 110, youre doing 120. my cruise has been known to jump to 140 coming off a hill, and you dont really realise it till its too late! its not as though most of us go and do 180 all the way, and if we do, even with a radar detector, theres no enough time to slow it down enough!
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 12:41 PM   #39
XR6turbo
Great EF XR8

When speed limits were first implemented, they were there as an advisory for every driver, Just like when you come to a corner and they have 40km/h on a yellow sign, its an advisory limit. Now, they are the limit and you can't go any further, fair enough, because your going to get idiots taking advantage of the old system. I don't generally have a problem with speed limits in suburban areas, sometimes they seem a bit silly, but that doesn't matter. What i do have a problem with, is the fact that our highways, in Victoria anyway (i.e. Eastern fwy) Are good enough roads that the traveling speed could be raised. Now i am not saying it should be raised to 170km/h or anything near there, but it could at least be 130km/h. I think our government needs to look at germany, and implement a similar drivers licencing structure (There's is far harder than ours) and there road laws.
Old 20-06-2006, 02:10 PM   #40
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6turbo
When speed limits were first implemented, they were there as an advisory for every driver, Just like when you come to a corner and they have 40km/h on a yellow sign, its an advisory limit.
The only historical 'advisory' limit was the yellow sign showing a numerical speed limit, this has still not changed, it remains an 'advisory'.. The maximum legal speed limit that applies where an advisory sign is posted, say on a bend, is the general 'default' or signposted speed limit on the road that your on.

A posted speed limit sign bears a white background, a red circle and black numerals within the red circle. The sign may have a black rim border around its outside diameter. This sign is an international road traffic sign.

When you say 'advisory', I wonder if you refer the speed derestriction sign?

Quote:
What i do have a problem with, is the fact that our highways, in Victoria anyway (i.e. Eastern fwy) are good enough roads that the traveling speed could be raised. Now i am not saying it should be raised to 170km/h or anything near there, but it could at least be 130km/h.
One day Australia will see higher speed restrictions, that will NOT be in Victoria however, and you can bank on that, certainly not first. NSW, SA and WA stand much higher chance than QLD, TAS and with VIC last in the probability stakes.

NSW will NOT raise the intercity freeway speed limits until changes are made to median design (our 'Road Design Guidelines' and via AUSROADS impacting barrier and U-Turn bays). We further remain uncomfortable with the low level of vehicular equipment requirement, this is an easy enough fix and will mean mandated safety gear to a level AMOST matching EU, but still below them. Timeframe 3 - 7 years.

It is possible we would re-introduce speed derestriction on remote, high standard western and south western highways. Derestriction would not be used on freeways till the issues identified are remedied.

Quote:
I think our government needs to look at germany, and implement a similar drivers licencing structure (There's is far harder than ours) and there road laws.
We are really (I do know the German system well). The graduated licensing systems you see being implemented around Australia, the 100 - 120 log book hour requirement, the green P and red P's, the twin computer based hazard perception programs etc are all part of a gradual creation of a (EU sourced) "National Driver Training Scheme". (NSW did NOT create the Green P stage, but was the first Australian jurisdiction to adopt them).

The emphasis on this scheme is on the DEFENSIVE component. Candidates needing additional training and attention will firstly be identified and intervention strategies undertaken, in effect 'cowboys and girls' should come under notice. Driving instructors in the program *must* be accredited. It is very, very early days yet.

There is strong desire within the agencies to reduce and remove the 'bad driving habits' that are often passed from parent to pupil.

The commonwealth's position has been that the program-system must be one that is equally administrable/implementable across the nation, so that kid A from backwater Victoria is not disadvantaged in comparision to kid B in Melbourne.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 05:02 PM   #41
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After travelling some of NSW and QLD's country roads recently I'm not sure our roads could handle higher speed limits... they're that bad.

Our country's roads are in such poor condition that I think we're gonna be stuck with 100-110kph for a long time to come. :(
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 05:10 PM   #42
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
Yeah, but then the government won't make any money out of slowing you down.
That's what its all about!!!!
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #43
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well ya wouldnt be flashing your lights to warn people about a speed camera... It is usually to warn people of possible danger with a parked car on the side of the road, we wouldnt of known it was a speed camera! ;-)
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 10:24 PM   #44
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

yeah how is the government going to cope if your not giving them your hard earned dollars , that one less overseas trip or corporate meal , have some heart !

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #45
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

I had a dust up with a copper about this a few years ago. I ended up telling him that I was simply testing the operation of my headlights, and if he'd like to claim otherwise he'd see me in the magistrates court. He backed down eventually, but I wouldn;t count on that defence...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #46
MAD
Petro-sexual

When I see a speed camera on the opposite side of the road, I like to flash my low beams just before I pass the car just so the guy can se what I've just done...hehehe.

Using low beams works just as good for warning others, as long as its not night time.
Old 21-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #47
jmc-007

next they will have a Flash ur lights camera and a ad saying flashing lights kills. and have a whole story concocked up
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #48
XRchic
Hello

I will always flash for a speed camera of any kind. I will not flash for an RBT though.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 02:38 PM   #49
Olympus
Rocket Fuel Anyone?

You're not allowed to flash your lights ? Yet they're allowed to use their flash when they snap you. W@NK3R5.
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post