Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-06-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default DON'T Flash Your Lights in QLD !!!

In the democratic republic of banana benders, if you flash your lights to warn other drivers of speed camera's, you will be fined $30 and 1 demerit point. !!!
This was on Today Tonight, tonite.
Another means of revenue raising. :

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

same as Vic and NSW. Using High Beams within X meters of an oncoming vehicle.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

Stuff them!! Wont stop me flashing!! out:

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
vino3o2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down

This is in additional to the current headlight distance law. Flash your lights near a speed camera and you will be fined, even if no other cars close by.
Old 19-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #5
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I was reading a 1970's family law book, and doing this is actually "Obstucting Police in the Line of Duty", so I can understand it, but two points:

1. In Canberra, we have Speed vans that are done by the Motor Registry, not the police;

2. Why can radio stations get away with telling people where police speed cameras are...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
1TUFFUTE
Banned

i would have thought if u flash with out using high beam ud be alright. bugger hey....
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon you're preventing a crime, why should anything be wrong with that?
:(

Bloody government!
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #8
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
This is in additional to the current headlight distance law. Flash your lights near a speed camera and you will be fined, even if no other cars close by.

most cameras are hidden or unidentified, so u could argue all day that u didnt see them, seeing as they are hidding anyway.
Old 19-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
I was reading a 1970's family law book, and doing this is actually "Obstucting Police in the Line of Duty", so I can understand it, but two points:

1. In Canberra, we have Speed vans that are done by the Motor Registry, not the police;

2. Why can radio stations get away with telling people where police speed cameras are...
The West Australian prints the days camera's location and Channel 7 lists them on the 7 o'clock news in Perth. With police blessing, then you cann't say you weren't warned. Every state has different rules. VicRoads you can download sites, manual etc on the camera's.
Old 19-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #10
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
The West Australian prints the days camera's location and Channel 7 lists them on the 7 o'clock news in Perth. With police blessing, then you cann't say you weren't warned. Every state has different rules. VicRoads you can download sites, manual etc on the camera's.

also in all states u can buy in car devices that warn u when u are coming up on a radar site or a police zone.Go figure...
Old 19-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #11
macca_779
Turbine Power

ahhhh im still going to do it. Its saved me a few times so basically its paid for itself if i do get caught. But really how often do u see a camera directly followed by a car. Hardly ever so they wont see me flash 99.9% of the time anyway. Scare tactics people it must be frustrating for the cops when we try and help each other out.
macca_779 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:32 PM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
also in all states u can buy in car devices that warn u when u are coming up on a radar site or a police zone.Go figure...
not in W.A Radar detectors are illegal.
Old 19-06-2006, 08:33 PM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
its not a radar detector.. its a GPS unit with preprogrammed locations. No good for mobile radar.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:39 PM   #14
1TUFFUTE
Banned

itd probably u right off i reckon. It wouldnt stop beeping when u think how many sites they setup on... :yeees:
Old 19-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #15
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets see, guilty of convincing someone to not break the law....

Interesting court case. All the radio stations in Bris list the locations of the radars every day on the basis that they are stopping people speeding near the radars and as the radars are only put in dangerous places to slow people down not as an income source they are making the roads safer.

If I see someone about to commit a murder or armed robbery and I prevent them will I be charged with impeding a police investigation too?

Every K over is a dollar ah I mean killer..............
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 09:09 PM   #16
HOON69
Banned

revenue raising never got better
oh look i can hide my speed camera van in a damn hwy barrier with my warning sign behind my vehicle and still nab speeders but hey if i warn of this greedy revenue rasing *insert word here* then we cop another fine anyways.

yep we got it good in qld
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 09:23 PM   #17
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

flashed an oncoming car a few months back cos i thought he had his high beam on, saw the sticker down the side of the car as he passed, so i pulled over when i saw him chuck a u-turn.....

ulls up beside me

"did you just flash your lights at me?"
"yea, sorry m8, thought you had your high beams on"
"yea, these new cars are like that"

and he drove off...... lol

that said, it was a small town, and he's a ford fan, so kudos to him

funny thing is, i went back past him 10 mins later and he was adjusting the radar gun on his car......
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #18
Aussie_Geo
Aussie_Geo

Quote:
Mate they have talked about banning them but they are still legal in WA. Was pulled up Sun morning in Northbidge for a lisence check, random breath test etc, and they commented on the detector sitting there on the front window.....right in their collective faces ... smart cop said you dont need one for a ford

but there was nothing they could do :thebirds:

Peter
Aussie_Geo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 09:59 PM   #19
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sunday Herald Sun article 18/6/06 by Sue Hewitt.
"Four out of 10 Victorian motorists so dislike speed cameras they warn other drivers approaching them, a survey has found. The drivers flashed their lights to alert others that their speed was being clocked, according to a survey by motor insurerAAMI".
"A spokesman for Police Minister, Tim Holding, said although it was not an offence to flash other drivers with headlights, it was not encouraged because the cameras were designed to make people slow down".

So maybe in Victoria it is legal to warn other drivers of speed detection devices by flashing them with your lights?
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #20
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
Sunday Herald Sun article 18/6/06 by Sue Hewitt.
"Four out of 10 Victorian motorists so dislike speed cameras they warn other drivers approaching them, a survey has found. The drivers flashed their lights to alert others that their speed was being clocked, according to a survey by motor insurerAAMI".
"A spokesman for Police Minister, Tim Holding, said although it was not an offence to flash other drivers with headlights, it was not encouraged because the cameras were designed to make people slow down".
Doesn't someone warning you of an upcoming speed camera make you slow down?????

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 11:03 PM   #21
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I will never stop flashing a warning about speed camera's. And they can shove their demerit points, they dont affect territorians.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 11:07 PM   #22
MYLO_XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well....looks like i should stop flashing.....i've only got 1 point left!
MYLO_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 11:11 PM   #23
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

couldn't you just say it was an accident and you meant to use your wipers? My GF's car is the other way around.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 11:12 PM   #24
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive had other drivers flash me from the other lane to warn of a speed camera. Usually those ones are the boxes on the road and the occasional police car parked on the side.
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 11:25 PM   #25
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Doesn't someone warning you of an upcoming speed camera make you slow down?????
Yeah, but then the government won't make any money out of slowing you down.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 11:56 PM   #26
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
Yeah, but then the government won't make any money out of slowing you down.
Too true. It is so farcical that the coppers, government and Road safety council say that they are only doing it to slow people down and yet;

1) You are fined for flashing your headlights ie makes every car in the vicinity slow down
2) How many people do you see speed past marked police cars - none! And how many marked police cars are there on the road as compared to un-marked????
3) And lastly, think of it this way, every time a speed camera flashes some one for speeding, the so called 'traffic slower' has just failed to slow said vehicle down. Not real bright is it.

Sorry, I think there all in the same family, the Kerr's, with all having the same first name - Wayne!!!!
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 12:05 AM   #27
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few years back there was an internal memo circulated around the NSW Police Force that asked those officers that were going away on holiday to flash their lights every 15-30 minutes while driving. Thus giving the oncoming traffic the impression that they were heading towards a speed trap and so they slow down. I wish I had a copy of it. :

Goes to show the hypocrisy of the NSW Police.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 12:12 AM   #28
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownvn
A few years back there was an internal memo circulated around the NSW Police Force that asked those officers that were going away on holiday to flash their lights every 15-30 minutes while driving. Thus giving the oncoming traffic the impression that they were heading towards a speed trap and so they slow down. I wish I had a copy of it. :

Goes to show the hypocrisy of the NSW Police.
Atleast their intetions were good. In WA I think their true intention or emphasis perhaps, is on CATCHING people speeding as compared to preventing people from speeding. To me, this is why I have little kudos in these government bodies and have no credence in anything they say or do.

Paul
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 08:12 AM   #29
troppo
Mr old phart

Warning other motorists of speed cameras isn't exactly encouraged, but it's certainly far from being frowned on here in the NT. Police here have publicly stated they won't bust anyone for doing and what's more they actually publish the locations of speed camera's in the paper on a daily basis. They name the road and suburb, they just don't publish what time they'll be there.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 08:53 AM   #30
Simmo
White Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino3o2
Stuff them!! Wont stop me flashing!! out:
same here vince. don't give em the satisfaction.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post