Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 10-03-2005, 07:21 AM   #1
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Default Things are going wrong...

Well, no wonder I guess - IT'S A FORD!

I replaced the instrument cluster in the EA about 3 months ago, and last week the speedo started only working when you hit 40kph, then would drop to zero once you slowed down to around the 40km mark.

The other day it stopped working altogether... so now there's no speedo, no odometer and no trip meter (naturally, as according to the speedo we are going nowhere!).

I decided to get the old one out (which I kept) and took it apart to see how it worked. I knew that the only thing that stopped working on this old one was the trip meter (hence the odometer too). When I took it apart I didn't find too much wrong with it other than the actual trip meter button not mounted on properly.

This morning I swapped the one already in the car for the one I fooled around with... and the speedo didn't work. So I am thinking there may be something wrong with the wiring behind the cluster (can't see anything visible though).

Is there anything else I should be looking at? Can two clusters die in the same way so quickly? Is it worth sticking in another one and seeing if it does the same thing?

HELP, the NSW AFF meet is on Sunday, and I can't go if there is no speedo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2005, 07:28 AM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Try the speedo drive in the side of the gear box. That causes all the symptoms you speak of.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397

Last edited by RG; 10-03-2005 at 07:31 AM. Reason: damn dodgy keyboard
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2005, 07:34 AM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

Yeah I'd look at the speedo gear. It's pretty easy to remove.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2005, 11:33 AM   #4
Sundeep
Banned

Yeah I'd be trying the speedo gear too, although it might not be as simple as just changing it. On the three speeds the speedo driving gear wears out and can cause what you're talking about. It's mounted on the output shaft of the auto trans inside the extension housing, not something easily replaced.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2005, 11:35 AM   #5
bindi

So it's at the side of the gearbox, as in the transmission??? Gimme more details and I'll go have a looksie - you are all my Yodas and I am Luke Skywalker, TEACH ME!

Which side, what does it look like, what normally goes wrong, what am I looking for that stuffs up?

Ta!

Quote:
Old 10-03-2005, 11:53 AM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

On mine it's about 2" long cylinder looking thing with a cog gear on the drivers side of the gearbox (transmission) and has a wire coming out of the back of it (covered with red plastic insulation). Well it is on mine anyway even when it was an auto. Can't remember exactly how to get it out and check it but I know it wasn't hard. Hope this helps.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #7
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

im pretty sure there is one bolt holding a bracket that holds in the speedo transducer which has got three wires coming out the side of it........i think
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2005, 07:17 PM   #8
5speedeb
now with 3.73 lsd

u need a open ring spanner 8mm or some size around there and on the ea i think its and the left side of the gearbox
5speedeb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2005, 08:47 PM   #9
bindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Yeah I'd be trying the speedo gear too, although it might not be as simple as just changing it. On the three speeds the speedo driving gear wears out and can cause what you're talking about. It's mounted on the output shaft of the auto trans inside the extension housing, not something easily replaced.

Sundeep
Bugger! Dammit! :(

I am off to the wrecker tomorrow for a bit for the rolla, I will ask about it while I am there... do my whole "I don't know anything about cars" routine and call the parts "thingies" lol

Then again, that's not far from the truth cos on this particular subject, I know nothing! :

Quote: