Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 07-03-2005, 08:48 PM   #1
brax
EL-Brax

Default EA Falcon Head Gasket

The time has come(approx 250,000km) to replace the head gasket, and the rocker cover gasket etc as water seems to disappear somewhere and oil leaks out of the rocker cover gasket and the head gasket(both have also gone hard)
Being that I have not done this before, does anyone have some tips. i read a while back that i should buy some new AU??? head bolts even though it's an EA??
Apart from a torque wrench and other general tools, should i have anything specific?? Also is there any particular way i should go about pulling it off? so i lose the least bits?
brax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2005, 09:22 PM   #2
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Make sure you have a single hex 14mm socket and a decent breaker bar. Rounding head bolts getting them off is a bastard.

EA-AU head bolts are the same. Make sure you get new ones.

Get the head decked and crack tested (shouldn't be more than $100 at a machine shop).
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 12:44 AM   #3
old_mate
Smash the Boost

also use a steel AU gasket, will be sweet

Been a while since i dont a EA/EB head, is it advisable to use the ED rocker cover gasket instead of the cork EA one? I know I put a rubber one on my EA but dont know if it was a ED part or not. Also, while everything is in bits, I'd think about replacing a probably tired water pump and getting the radiator looked at...it'll probably be stuffed too. Oh and be prepared for timing chain guides to be stuffed as well. Other than that, its a case of pull it apart, and put it back together the same way. A workshop manual is a good idea too

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
brax
EL-Brax

why a steel AU gasket? do both the EA and AU use the same size gaskets?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
Walkinshaw
Two > One

yep same sizes, AU is a steel gasket, a few more points of compression as well.

a GOOD (and i mean good) 14mm single hex socket is MANDITORY. Accurate torque wrench, good breaker bar, and 1/2 a case of beer should see this job done within a day

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 09:21 PM   #6
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

ea-au headbolts are the same part from ford I think... use au ones anyway.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:45 PM   #7
shane289
Starter Motor

Au head bolts are bigger around the top than EB fit ok and cost around $60 from Ford, Also get your head checked for cracks and machined
shane289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 01:08 AM   #8
460cixy
burn out king

i used the same bolts no worrys. if you look in the manual you need an angle gauge for final tension . i warmed mine up to operating temp then let it cool down. and re tightend the bolts by feel with a breaker bar. i recomend the use of hylomar spray on the new head gasket ya can get it from super cheap . just shake it well. make sure the head is checked to be straight in a machine shop if you dont have a good straight edge. from my experiance they dont seem to crack just warp. also clean the filter in the chain tensioner.
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 03:12 PM   #9
brax
EL-Brax

say i have a nice straight edge, how do i check if t's warped, and is taking it to a machine shop really necessary?
also does anyone know of a local head machining shop to cheltenham vic 3192?

Last edited by brax; 09-03-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:17 PM   #10
darkfang888
ED Fairmont 4.0L

just done the head gasket on my EAII. Remove the exhaust & inlet manifolds (if they're in the way) remove any coolant/heater tubes, unbolt p/steering pump bracket, unbolt & lift head (don't turn head upside down or you'll lose rocker ends) lift head, scrape off all gasket remnants, replace ALL gaskets using RTV to seal, toruqe to specifications (as described in workshop manual. if you don't have a manual I can give you the sepecifications).

By the way, a straight edge and feeler gauges will you give a good indication of any warpage, but you're better off taking the head to a proffessional regrinder - cost me NZ$45 for a head skim. Excpect about another $15 for them to clean the head.

Last edited by darkfang888; 09-03-2005 at 03:19 PM. Reason: one more thing...
darkfang888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 03:42 PM   #11
darkfang888
ED Fairmont 4.0L

One ore thing - I was losing coolant too, except I lost all the coolant (with a brand new radiator) in about 10 mins. Turned out the head was as crooked as a dog's hind leg, coz the previous owner changed the gasket but didn't skim the head! The thing wasn't sealing and the coolant was going through the head and pouring out the hole in the muffler! Wasn't a big job to fix though, drain/replace oil to get rid of sludge, clean block and head, fix the muffler and replace gaskets and she was mint. took about 3 hours and cost $100 for gasket set. Not expensive or time-comsuming if you know what you're doing.