Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Melbourne Trams

Personally I find trams a major pain in the backside during the morning and afternoon while driving to and from work. Especially when 15 cars are held up by a tram carrying 5 passengers. I would like to see the least patronized routes abolished and the funds used for the train network or buses. I do realise that for some Melbournians the trams are some sort of icon and are somewhat "untouchable" but for me this was for the old W class trams. Any takers for kicking these oversize underpatronized lumps off the roads?
cheers
Bill.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
Kryton

they do the public a service so why knock them?
they are on tracks, you arent, if they are that annoying find a different way to work.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 10:29 PM   #3
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Yep, they're public transport and a lot more people will be using PT in the future !!

They deserve to be there.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
bigev
Bloke

Move to the western suburbs - they're no problem out here :-)
bigev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #5
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

Um...
They're excellent forms of transport.

Would you prefer a bus that is a little unpredictable in their driving? Or a tram that's guarantee'd not to swerve out in front of you without indication. Trams are fantastic!
Old 11-03-2007, 11:20 PM   #6
pecker73
Falcon Addict

Angry

Melbourne without trams.......

Hell, that's like Australia without FORD..... :

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 11:23 PM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Under patronized?
Try getting one at peak hour! Sardine city!

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 11:28 PM   #8
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Trams have been around for ages and their future seems pretty secure. Maybe you should seek and alternative route or method of travel.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 11:38 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I never have a problem with trams... but then I dont see many on the Newell Highway...
Old 12-03-2007, 12:11 AM   #10
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was in Melbourne on business a few years ago and caught a tram from my hotel to the exhibition centre. Jumped on, looked around, no conductor, no ticket dispenser, so ended up getting off at my destination without paying. I thought ... how good is this ... free trams. Someone later pointed out that I could have been heavily fined, but I still don'r know where you pay.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 12:26 AM   #11
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

haha pedro, ive done that too, but i gave the whole, im sorry, im from the country speech... they felt sorry for me.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 12:31 AM   #12
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Melbourne Trams suit a need. There are alternate routes to work I would suggest.
Give that, I suggest that you find an alternate, tramless route.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 12:35 AM   #13
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigev
Move to the western suburbs - they're no problem out here :-)
Amen to that one bro.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:39 AM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
I was in Melbourne on business a few years ago and caught a tram from my hotel to the exhibition centre. Jumped on, looked around, no conductor, no ticket dispenser, so ended up getting off at my destination without paying. I thought ... how good is this ... free trams. Someone later pointed out that I could have been heavily fined, but I still don'r know where you pay.
For us poor interstate souls that dont have the benefit of Trams. Just where DO you buy a ticket?
Old 12-03-2007, 12:45 AM   #15
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know what your on about. I used to get stuck behind them stopping every few hundred meters through hawthorn and camberwell. Frustrating when running late.

They're not the safest things in the world though. Seen an old lady get dragged for 150 meters and ground to a pulp going down swanston street. Not nice.

However I found them very handy in the CBD. Great for zipping over the otherside of the city to a meeting.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #16
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
For us poor interstate souls that dont have the benefit of Trams. Just where DO you buy a ticket?
The easiest way is to buy a ticket from a newsagent before you go, otherwise there are machines on board the trams (in the middle) that take coins only. (ticket machines at train stations take notes)
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #17
adrianb

Awesome form of public transport - agreed try getting on one in peak hour theyre packed.

If you get stuck behind one they're not too bad to overtake except for a few busy roads.

If you're running late is it the trams fault or yours? ;)
Old 12-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #18
XRated
Shoot.

Wow! That's a fair whinge!!

I think they're great... Especially during peak hour! You just have to be on one buzzing past all the suckers in cars getting upset to understand their purpose. Most of them run every 10-15 minutes, and they sure beat the hell out of the pathetic bus system we have, and obviously come with the added benefit of near nil pollution.

By the way, Pedro, all trams have ticket dispensers and they do have regular ticket inspectors. Maybe you were on the City Loop tram - it's free (or was) as far as I'm aware.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 05:23 PM   #19
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
The easiest way is to buy a ticket from a newsagent before you go, otherwise there are machines on board the trams (in the middle) that take coins only. (ticket machines at train stations take notes)
There are machines at some special tram stops in the City as well.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #20
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if we listened to everybody who whinges on this forum, we would get rid of trams, busses, trucks, 4 wheel drives, Camry's, Holden's, Volvo's, motorbikes, police, train crossings, and it would be just empty roads for the person who is doing the whinging. SNAP back to reality, they have a purpose, they are electric, they are moving a lot more people in a lot less space than there would be cars (dont forget there would be an everage of 1.2 people per car, burning on average around 12L per 100km each around town. People should stop being selfish and realize we all share the roads, all vehicles, all shapes and sizes and FREAKING GET OVER IT!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 08:51 PM   #21
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being from Sydney I got the shock of my life when I approached a Melboune tram from behind. It stopped at a red light and this little stop sign popped out. I didn't realise this meant I had to stop BEHIND the tram!!! All of a sudden all these people hopped off the tram in front of me, scary stuff.The hook turns were interesting. I think they go back to horse and cart days from what I can make out, a bizarre concept.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 09:14 PM   #22
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Trams = on tracks.
You = not on tracks.

Go around.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #23
nos_james

trams are great when im in the city i use them all the time that or i ride the bike
nos_james is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #24
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank you all for the replies, the positive thing to come from my post is some now know how to buy tickets myself included! For those who thought that this thread is a little provocative that is partially correct, mea culpa! I was interested in other's experiences who use roads in conjunction with the tram network.
cheers
Bill.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #25
Nashy86

my mrs is in the urban planning industry and the future of melb is more and more public transport, including trams, and fewer cars.
Their ideal scenario for the perfectly planned ciyt is when everyone working in the cbd lives there and has a tram/train on their doorstep so none needs cars, making the cbd a no car zone
I think we need to learn to live with them, they aren't going anywhere
Written off whilst parked!

FG Mk II XR6T
Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto,, Dark Tint
Awesome toy for Grown Ups!
Nashy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 10:51 PM   #26
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
The hook turns were interesting. I think they go back to horse and cart days from what I can make out, a bizarre concept.
Nah, its so you dont get in the way of a tram when you turn right. Usually when you want to turn right at an intersection you would have to wait until the traffic clears which blocks everything behind you. A hook turn eliminates this.

Thats what my interpretation is anyway.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 10:58 PM   #27
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
Personally I find trams a major pain in the backside during the morning and afternoon while driving to and from work. Especially when 15 cars are held up by a tram carrying 5 passengers. I would like to see the least patronized routes abolished and the funds used for the train network or buses. I do realise that for some Melbournians the trams are some sort of icon and are somewhat "untouchable" but for me this was for the old W class trams. Any takers for kicking these oversize underpatronized lumps off the roads?
cheers
Bill.
I have a job interview tomorrow and will be heading down Burke Rd to get to it. I will let you know how that goes!!!

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #28
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
cheers
Bill.
So catch the tram...

BAM! One less car being "inconvineinced" by public transport and one more person on the tram. Your comments seem somewhat counter intuitive to the purpose and goal of public transport!

Having said this, it must be a bastard sharing the road with the things. Only an issue on a couple of streets in Adelaide, neither of which do i use regularly.
Old 13-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #29
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just got back from Melbourne Sunday night. I used the tram to get around I left my car in the car park at my apartment in East Melbourne for the two days I was there. I drove through the city about 5pm Friday night Collins Street Bourke Street Flinders Street Spencer Street William Street & a few others & I didnt have any problems driving & having to wait for trams. The city wouldnt move if there was no public transport & all that used the trams drove in instead.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #30
holmsy
Banned

the one thing i want done is better signage on how to work the damn things. on the tram as well as at the stops so u can read up on it before getting on a tram.

putting an out of town person on a tram is like sitting a 150 year old guy in front of a computer and telling them to install stuff. where the hell would they start
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post