Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Far out, can I just pay for my fuel?

Had an interesting one today, went to the local BP (near the showgrounds for any Wagga people), filled up and walked in to pay for my fuel, did so and went to walk back out again. Got to the door, 2 steps away from freedom I'm bailed up by a guy with an Indian accent so thick I honestly couldnt understand what he was saying.

What did he want? To sign me up for some BP Mastercard! Couldnt understand a word he was saying, he started hassling me for ID to fill in some application form and then wouldnt back off when I said no. I got a bit archy and was just about tell him where to shove his clipboard when he shut up and let me walk out the door.

Now fair enough everybody has their job to do but I got really annoyed by this - full on harrassment, the guy was trying to bully me into filling out the damn form! Standing at the door waiting for people to walk in doesnt exactly make me want to talk to you either. I'm not happy about it and won't be going back there for a while. I'm also tempted to write the servo owners a letter telling them just what I think of their trapdoor tactics.

And btw, BP Ultimate was 140.9 at this particular servo - down the road at Caltex, Vortex98 = 135.9. Guess where I'll be going from now on.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Ive had the exact same experience here in Newcastle, its pretty slack these days being bothered and harrassed everywhere you go. If I wanted a damn Mastercard i'd go apply for one.
What made it worse was they were there at 7.45am right on peak hour and I was already running late for work.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dear B2tf,

Thank you for your letter regarding the BP Mastercard representative.
BP values our high quality standards of our products and services.
We appreciate all feedback and with your help we will strive to resolve this issue as fast as we can. So please can you fill in the form provided with your Credit card and Drivers License details, your home address and telephone numbers.
Thankyou for your support.

Brittish Petrolium

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

wasnt citibank was it?

I told them to **** off on numerous occasions and that i had a company car with company fuel provided, talk about annoying!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the same thing happen at St George Bank, while I was waiting in THEIR queue. The nerve of them to do that. You can bet that guy was recruited from Sydney and sent down to Wagga to annoy everyone there, he is probably one of my neighbours. Did he tell you to please come again or ask if you wanted papadums with that?
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #6
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
And btw, BP Ultimate was 140.9 at this particular servo - down the road at Caltex, Vortex98 = 135.9. Guess where I'll be going from now on.
Thats the worst part of this story!

i dont think ive paid over 117 for a while!

But i agree, if i ever came across a shop that used these sort of tactics i would be taking my business elsewhere!

I dont need to go to the shops and get hasseld, i get that at work enough!
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 08:19 PM   #7
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I had the same thing at BP yesterday, an asian at the door bailed me up about the Master card.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #8
Peter T

My to all time pet hates, clipboard carrying service sellers, and distributors of "junk mail" either cross my path, and they better be ready for an embarrassing dressing down, !! and yes I have pursued the junk mail man, and given it all back to him, with a healthy dose of attitude and opinion,!
Peter T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #9
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

It is standard across BP's, my 2 nearest ones have it going on at the moment.. Be curt and move on, seriously is it worth getting your panties in a bunch?

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh I had some chick hassel me about it for ages at a BP in Perth. I needed to get back to work and she just would not take no for an answer. I would have told her to ****** off but she was bloody hot.

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 08:51 PM   #11
GT-E

I get this from BP twice a week.
I told them last week that if they approach me again I am switching to the Shell next door.
I asked them if they thought it was a good deal to get 5% off the price of fuel whent he interest rate was 16%. They can take their BP scam card and shove it :
Old 09-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #12
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

It's bad enough being raped at the bowser, but then when you fork over a descent chunk of your weekly wage for the privilage they hassle you to get a credit card....maybe they know something about coming fuel prices that we don't
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #13
XRated
Shoot.

Wow! They just don't stop. It's annoying enough when they continue to call at all types of hours during the day and night when you're trying to relax at home.. And boy I hate those people who try and sell stuff in the middle of shopping centres and get narky when you say, "not interested," and keep walking. If I wanted to go paint-balling I'd ring the frigging place myself.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #14
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

I had a similar thing a few weeks ago at a near my work. I went in one day to grab a drink and as i'm walking out this hot blonde chick bails me up about the same card you were talking about so politely i kept nodding my head and tuned out till she stopped talking so i took the form and walked out.

A few days later i go back to the servo and shes there again and once again bails me up about the stupid card except this time i told her i was 16 and didn't have a car etc. etc. and she left me alone.

Then the early the next week she was there AGAIN so same deal except this time my car was tragically destroyed in a fire after the fuel tank ruptured and i lost all my worldly possesions and only barely escaped with my life and i will never own/drive another vehicle again etc. etc. but she didn't look happy when i got in my ute and drove off HAHA!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:38 PM   #15
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

former Wagga boy, know where that is, and again same thing happened to me in Lane Cove, Syd a few days ago, but this (indian) dude said something about shopping at Woolworths while I was wearing a Franklins shirt... Dumbass. No dice my man.
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:42 PM   #16
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

I Hate the Ones in the Shopping Centers , BP Citybank are the Worst , and the Tint Professor yellow car always asks and i always answer " YOU HAVE TINTED IT ALREADY !"

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:56 PM   #17
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

How about the attendants trying to get you to buy chocolate bars, chips, coke etc. Two for one, or 3 for $2 etc etc

Peeves me off

If I wanted the stuff I'd get it from the shelf!!!
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #18
Kryton

yep, there needs to be some sort of code of ethics with these people.
if it isnt bad enough they ring you all the time, they also rock up on your doorstep and dont know what NO means. then to make it worse you go down to the shopping centre/complex and they are sitting at the door hassling you. you cant even walk through a plaza without someone at their cart table trying to flog crap off to you.
seriously, if i wanted to change/go with/buy something, I would go and find the company.
dont come to me, im not interested.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 11:05 PM   #19
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a similar experiance.. He too was very pushy.. Should off seen how quick he stopped talking when I told him his breath smelled vial....LOL

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 12:06 AM   #20
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or door to door salespersons, they tend to skip my house.
Must be the 2 Rottweilers in the garage with me.
Had 1 indian/pakistani come right up to the door, then the dog followed me out, you should have seen the look of fear in his eyes as the dog was sniffing him. I told him not to make any sudden moves as the dog was very protective.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 12:30 AM   #21
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Im sure your old boss could do with a new credit card Austin, I can help him spend it too.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 12:58 AM   #22
StookEB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel
How about the attendants trying to get you to buy chocolate bars, chips, coke etc. Two for one, or 3 for $2 etc etc

Peeves me off

They have to say this especially at Coles Express (Shell), if an inspector for the company comes in, tests your presentation and you say everything right (such as fly buys and all that crap), you can win awards and stuff.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:17 AM   #23
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

But they get narky when you don't answer their question of whether you wanted a chocolate. To which i usually tell them I'm a free thinking person and if I wanted a ****ing Choc bar, I would have got one myself.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 01:22 AM   #24
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

140.9, What a rip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forget it, I'd rather run my car on water, it'll be cheaper to repair the damage.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 02:15 AM   #25
XRchic
Hello

What about the credit card people at airports when you get off the plane? Hmmm.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 03:56 AM   #26
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
What about the credit card people at airports when you get off the plane? Hmmm.
That would **** me off. Just come off a long flight and you have some dick head trying to sign you up
:jab: :SaiyanSmi

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 04:08 AM   #27
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDXR8BLOKE
Or door to door salespersons, they tend to skip my house.
Must be the 2 Rottweilers in the garage with me.
Had 1 indian/pakistani come right up to the door, then the dog followed me out, you should have seen the look of fear in his eyes as the dog was sniffing him. I told him not to make any sudden moves as the dog was very protective.
: : :

I'd love to have seen that!

Good mate of mine NEVER gets door to door salesmen... they can't come in.

Their fence is right at the footpath and in the yard is a big bulldog/staffy cross which 99.99% of people mistake for a pitbull. And the dog's not too stranger happy either. It does get annoying having to wait for the pizza man to let him in though... :
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 AM   #28
1600GT

had one at the shopping centre last week.
i was in a hurry (seriously), but this girl wouldnt take 'sorry, i'm in a hurry' for an answer, saying 'but it'll only take 5 minutes...'
but she changed her mind when i said 'ok, give me YOUR phone number and i'll call u when i have 5 minutes...'
Quote:
Originally Posted by apu narhasapeenapetilon
thank u, come again.
i remember a couple of years ago the same happened to a mate when he, his wife and myself amd MRSXR-8 were out on the town, and a HOT HOT HOTTIE chick was trying to get people to sign up to a credit card with a so called 'free money' bonus, or something.
she wouldnt take 'not interested' by replying 'but how can u not want free money?'
when he then shouted, in front of the however many other people that were in the area... 'honey, i know u want me, and i'm sure u'd be as good as u say u are, but... I'M MARRIED!!' she left to find somewhere else to hassle people!!
: : :
:
1600GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 12:22 PM   #29
kempster1

American Express have had a stall at the Melbourne airport for about two years.
They hassle everybody as they are set up where you have to walk past them to get your bags.
kempster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #30
Jesk
certified nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel

Peeves me off

Quote:
hey have to say this especially at Coles Express (Shell), if an inspector for the company comes in, tests your presentation and you say everything right (such as fly buys and all that crap), you can win awards and stuff.
I agree fully its really annoying and this is coming from the other side of the counter. its part of our job any we don't need our bosses ripping into us over not asking, and its really not worth the $50 voucher cos of the amount of hassle we get trying to do it all when 50% of the time the person that marks you cant get it right anyway
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post