Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Motorist Crashes On SatNav Order...

A 46-year-old German motorist driving along a busy road suddenly veered to the left and ended up stuck on a railway track - because his satellite navigation system told him to.

The motorist was heading into the north German city of Bremen "when the friendly voice from his satnav told him to turn left," a spokesman said.

"He did what he was ordered to do and turned his Audi left up over the curb and onto the track of a local streetcar line. He tried to back up off the track but got completely stuck."

The police spokesman said about a dozen trams were held up until a tow truck arrived to clear the car off the track.

Several German motorists have crashed their cars in recent months, later telling police they were only obeying orders from their satnavs.

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

DARWIN awards the lot of them.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:lookedat:

Why? Didnt he realise there was no street and if he turned he would just be going up a curb?

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 01:46 AM   #4
fmc351
let it burn

People will say anything if they think it will shift the blame. I dont believe the fool for a second.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 01:49 AM   #5
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

lol thats pretty funny :P car owner 0 satnav 1. !
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 04:26 AM   #6
5L
[ 5L ]

in the advetiser a week or two ago, it said there was a confusion with sat navs as they said you can drive to K.I. not wait here for ferry, it said to drive straight.

thinking about taking mates car down there to test this out with his sat nav, there must be an invisible bridge, otherwise his commodore will be conducting another test, "do vx s packs know how to swim".
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 05:08 AM   #7
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You know you would of got a hell of alot more responses in you changed the nationality of the person to American.

45 people would see it as a perfect opportunity to bash America, 3 people would for whatever reason bring up Iraq, and two people would be on the defence and claim this can happen to anyone, not just 'the stupid Yanks'
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 05:19 AM   #8
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
People will say anything if they think it will shift the blame. I dont believe the fool for a second.
why wouldn't you believe it ?

my GPS has told me to take the wrong routes several times. i use it more as a map than anything else. It often tells me to make right turns on freeways, which 9 times out of 10 would involve me mounting the 3 foot median walls, the 10 foot barrier on the opposing side, and then careering off the several metre drop down the the ground. Needless to say, i don't listen to its commands.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 08:36 AM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I remember a story about a lady who successfully sued the Winnebago company (IIRC). She put the RV on cruise and went out the back to make a sandwich and coffee.

The RV crashed (duh) and she sued saying that the company should have warned her. Apparently she won, and the owner's manual was ammended to include a warning about it.

I'm not sure if it's true or not; others may be able to confirm this as true or rubbish.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #10
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
I remember a story about a lady who successfully sued the Winnebago company (IIRC). She put the RV on cruise and went out the back to make a sandwich and coffee.

The RV crashed (duh) and she sued saying that the company should have warned her. Apparently she won, and the owner's manual was ammended to include a warning about it.

I'm not sure if it's true or not; others may be able to confirm this as true or rubbish.

GK
Urban Myth

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp

http://www.atla.org/homepage/debunk.aspx
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #11
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

do anyone know what model satnav he was using?

if so they should be made mandatory. Every satnav should come with a built-in idiot remover!
Old 16-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #12
photn
AFF Post NAZI

there was also a report some time last year that a German Fellow/old man carreed off the road onto another road that had Road works and signs and all that and Hit a Large mound of dirt and he blamed the Sat NAV

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #13
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrackers

my GPS has told me to take the wrong routes several times. i use it more as a map than anything else. It often tells me to make right turns on freeways, which 9 times out of 10 would involve me mounting the 3 foot median walls, the 10 foot barrier on the opposing side, and then careering off the several metre drop down the the ground. Needless to say, i don't listen to its commands.
Because who would follow the instruction?

Guys either an idiot, or is looking for a lawsuit, or trying to blame equipment for his own lapse in concentration. No-ones that stupid, that only leaves the last two. If the guy was that stupid, he wouldnt reach 12 years old let alone 46.
Old 16-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've always thought these things were a waste of money : Well was for these people especially.

But yeah I reckon what a load of crap. As if you turn blindly on what a gizmo tells you :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #15
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrackers

but as you said a GPS is for directions, you still got to look at the road and im pretty sure can still tell the difference between road and some curb..... obviously some people should just stay home

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #16
TZENU
XY Driv3r

A mates sav nav once told us to turn right in the middle of the Westgate Bridge... But i suppose he bought the cheap one!

What ever happened to the good 'ol Melway?
Old 16-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #17
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone know of a satnav that calculates routes according to road classification?

The truck i drive tops out at about 4.450m high, and doesnt like narrow streets, overhanging trees and especially low bridges. I've found i have to have a good look through the melways or the vic roads first and make sure its not going to get me into trouble.

I've got a Navman ICN 720 which was supposed to be their flagship model when i got in october when it was released. Got some nice features but this is 1 that it lacks that i could really do with!

Was speaking to a guy who had one that you could set to pick the route according to road classifications but he had it bought for him by his work and didnt know the brand.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 09:04 PM   #18
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

probably checking out the fraulein in the beamer next to him. not the reason the wife wants to hear you give when you wreck your audi
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #19
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

Don't put one in an XR6/8 falcon and wear a light blue shirt. every mofo you come across thinks you're a cop and slows down. Makes getting to work take ages. :
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 12:08 AM   #20
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Just be grateful you have a choice and don't yet have to obey the sat nav system. There was an interesting front page in today's "The West Australian Newspaper" titled "'Big Brother's Plan to Slow Speeders". The WA Main Roads Department is reported as testing a system (Intelligent Speed Adaption system) that notifies drivers via sat nav of local speed limits then if he does not reduce speed forces the accelerator pedal back remotely controlling his speed. 50 vehicles including government vehicles (the poor maligned public servants being used as test dummies again) taxis and some commercial vehicles will be trialling the system and the WA Road Safety Council Chair, Grant Dorrington, said the council is considering that the system being made manadatory for novice drivers and recidivist speeders.

The article also said research by Monash Uni had indicated that the system was expected to reduce road fatalities by 8%. If this proves true I guess there is a case (however much we may hate the idea and however much it might appear to infringe on our freedom) to fit it to all cars. The thin edge of the wedge perhaps; who knows in another 10 years all our cars may all be totally remotely driven. I guess one way or the other that's where we are headed; but even when that happens I am sure people will still find a way to kill themselves and others with cars and then blame the sat nav system however well it works.
Old 17-01-2007, 01:44 AM   #21
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
Just be grateful you have a choice and don't yet have to obey the sat nav system. There was an interesting front page in today's "The West Australian Newspaper" titled "'Big Brother's Plan to Slow Speeders". The WA Main Roads Department is reported as testing a system (Intelligent Speed Adaption system) that notifies drivers via sat nav of local speed limits then if he does not reduce speed forces the accelerator pedal back remotely controlling his speed. 50 vehicles including government vehicles (the poor maligned public servants being used as test dummies again) taxis and some commercial vehicles will be trialling the system and the WA Road Safety Council Chair, Grant Dorrington, said the council is considering that the system being made manadatory for novice drivers and recidivist speeders.

The article also said research by Monash Uni had indicated that the system was expected to reduce road fatalities by 8%. If this proves true I guess there is a case (however much we may hate the idea and however much it might appear to infringe on our freedom) to fit it to all cars. The thin edge of the wedge perhaps; who knows in another 10 years all our cars may all be totally remotely driven. I guess one way or the other that's where we are headed; but even when that happens I am sure people will still find a way to kill themselves and others with cars and then blame the sat nav system however well it works.
I dont want to have to run AVG or Nortons on my car. Radio full of spam, wait....already is, scratch that.
Old 17-01-2007, 02:57 AM   #22
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
What ever happened to the good 'ol Melway?
Oh god, used one today.. If there's ONE thing i've learnt from using a satnav, it's that no matter how bad they are at directions from time to time, they're still better than a woman in the passenger seat trying to figure out a map!!
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 04:28 AM   #23
Den.
That Canadian guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
A 46-year-old German motorist driving along a busy road suddenly veered to the left and ended up stuck on a railway track - because his satellite navigation system told him to.

The motorist was heading into the north German city of Bremen "when the friendly voice from his satnav told him to turn left," a spokesman said.

"He did what he was ordered to do and turned his Audi left up over the curb and onto the track of a local streetcar line. He tried to back up off the track but got completely stuck."

The police spokesman said about a dozen trams were held up until a tow truck arrived to clear the car off the track.

Several German motorists have crashed their cars in recent months, later telling police they were only obeying orders from their satnavs.
I been waiting for one of these! Thanks for making my day and confirming my opinion of idiots with SatNAV systems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcook
do anyone know what model satnav he was using?

if so they should be made mandatory. Every satnav should come with a built-in idiot remover!
Speaking of mandatory. Here in North America (Or more exactly the U.S. which means we in Canada are STUCK with it!) there is legislation that from what I understand is going through next year that will make stability control mandatory!!

Needless to say, (If it goes through) this years New Car Guide will be the last one I ever buy! Hard enough NOW to find new cars without Stability and traction control crap!
Old 17-01-2007, 04:38 AM   #24
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SatNav doesn't beat a Melway (or your states equivalent).

Technology will one day rise above its creators and in the year 2029, a massive war will erupt between Earth's automated defense system, "Skynet" and the inhabitants of the planet Earth, The Earthlings (otherwise known as people, pricks, *****, bastards, bitches and a host of other expletives).

To avoid this war, use your Melway. Paper doesn't fight back...often.

Damn paper cuts!
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 04:45 AM   #25
Den.
That Canadian guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
Oh god, used one today.. If there's ONE thing i've learnt from using a satnav, it's that no matter how bad they are at directions from time to time, they're still better than a woman in the passenger seat trying to figure out a map!!

My wife was my navigator when I ran a courier car. One of the best mapreaders I've ever worked with, male OR female.

My old courier car: (LOL- I miss that hunk of junk!)
I used to say,
"It's not a job, It's an attitude!"

Old 17-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #26
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
You know you would of got a hell of alot more responses in you changed the nationality of the person to American.

45 people would see it as a perfect opportunity to bash America, 3 people would for whatever reason bring up Iraq, and two people would be on the defence and claim this can happen to anyone, not just 'the stupid Yanks'
What has that got to do with anything?
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 10:30 AM   #27
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14A-Mclaren
What has that got to do with anything?

I thought it was spot on as it clearly demonstrates the attitude of some members of the forums
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 10:43 AM   #28
Den.
That Canadian guy.

I don't know about Americans but we Canadians don't NEED an excuse to crash. As a nation we are probably some of the worse drivers on the planet!
Old 17-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #29
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den.
I don't know about Americans but we Canadians don't NEED an excuse to crash. As a nation we are probably some of the worse drivers on the planet!
Come to Australia !!! Brisbane drivers are kamakaze!!!!!!!!!!!!
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 02:15 PM   #30
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin

Spot on. Happens at satellite technical forums, Whirlpool and the like. God, I tell them America started the second wourld war and that Japanese forces of WW2 committed no atrocities, except that in false-fact that (those nasty) Americans brutalised them, - and some of these extreme-left tools, as dumb as dogshi* go for it.

Its a nasty, pea-brained small man lot.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post