Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-06-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Default Mark Webber, The Herald Sun and why some people should never be given a keyboard

Hey folks,
Has anyone read the sport section of today's Herald Sun???
I would like it if as many of you could as possible, the last page of the sports section, just before the obituaries.
There is a lovely peice about Williams F1.
I got to the end of the first column and could not read on.
How could anyone who is supposed to be a proffesional sports writer make such obvious mistakes and factual errors?
Makes me soooo angry!!!!
Cosworth V10??? This is 2006!!! V8's, anyone who is even the smallest fan of F1 knows this, and Crompton tells you every telecast if you didnt know anyway!!!
whats worse, Reverting to an "old" Aston Martin V10???
Im pretty sure there isnt even such an engine. All ford associated and subsiduary teams engines in F1 (even though they dont own cosworth anymore and williams isnt a ford team) have been labelled cosworth or cosworth ford engines. Tyrell ford, stewart ford, jaguar were all powered by cosworth engines.
How can someone type such utter rubbish in the first place???!!! AND who edits this crud??? :

Anyway, i'm off to wagga wagga, my brother has his passing out parade at kapooka. Have a great weekend all, and to the admins of this forum, Well done

brodfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Default Update

from planetF1.com

http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_...292377,00.html

Williams preview the Canadian GP
Wednesday June 21 2006

Mark Webber:
"I'm looking forward to the two North American races. It's always good returning to Montréal because the atmosphere reminds me of Melbourne in some ways. It's a bit more relaxed than some of our more recent races, and the track is set in a nice location."

"The circuit requires a completely different aerodynamic package to the ones we've used for the first part of the season, which means a low to medium downforce level to help our top speeds. It also means we could see a slight change in performance from some teams as it's a fresh opportunity to find pace, I'm certainly hoping it'll provide us with a chance to improve our performance in the right direction.

"Traditionally, Montréal is heavy on brakes and that's why we were testing in Monza last week. It's also a circuit which rewards good horsepower from the engine, so that should be a positive for us. We certainly need both Williams' in the points at Montréal."

Nico Rosberg:
"I'm really looking forward to the Canadian Grand Prix for two big reasons. Firstly, we had a good test in Monza last week running the low to medium downforce set-up so everything is in order for the Montréal track. We should be stronger there than we were at Silverstone and we have the potential to score some points."

"The second reason is that everybody keeps telling me that the Canadian Grand Prix is one of the nicest races of the season. It will be my first time there and, although that makes it a greater challenge, I'm looking forward to getting everything out of it that I can."

Sam Michael, Technical Director, WilliamsF1:
"Montréal is a low drag circuit, more so now with the v8s, and is made up of long straights, a lot of slow corners and chicanes. There are two or three good overtaking opportunities every lap which always makes for good racing at this circuit. Traditionally hard on brakes and temperatures, the window will shift slightly this year following the reduction in power levels and the increase in tyre grip compared to last season."

We have a full car upgrade for Canada in the shape of front and rear wings, winglets, nose and diffuser revisions which were all tested and successfully signed off at the Monza test. Strategy at Montréal is always interesting and this year will be no exception."

Simon Corbyn, Head of F1 Race Engineering, Cosworth:
"Cosworth will install two fresh CA2006 Series 4 engines for the Canadian Grand Prix, as scheduled. Results from last week's Monza test are directly relevant to Montréal and this data will now be used to define the engine control system calibrations for the event. Montréal features notoriously tough braking events and so we'll be working closely with Williams to optimise the engine braking settings for this circuit."

No one is replying, but please Contrast this with the obvious bull that the herald sun printed today.
Old 22-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Byron Young is the author of the herald sun article, i just read it fully again, he refers to the Williams' cars plural as the "Williamses" The rest of the article is ok, i guess, he just reconstitutes all of the news from F1 sites over the last week, but for a guy sending his report in from the location, Montreal, its hardly worth it at all.

'old' ASTON MARTIN V10?????? WTF!!!
Old 22-06-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
marcosambrose

Someone email the Herald and tell off the editor for making blatent mistakes.

Im a self believer in that if you genuinely interested in F1 you should be given a job in it, if you dont know what your talking about, get the hell out, theres alot of other people out there that know more.
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodfloyd
Crompton tells you every telecast if you didnt know anyway!!!
What about the Watts Link.... does that get a mention! :
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #6
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
What about the Watts Link.... does that get a mention! :
I'm still writing down all the facts on how a V8 supercar can be compared to an F1 car - IT JUST CAN'T - lol...

Can you get an online version of this mentioned writeup?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 06:16 PM   #7
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
I'm still writing down all the facts on how a V8 supercar can be compared to an F1 car - IT JUST CAN'T - lol...

Can you get an online version of this mentioned writeup?
i tried to but it wasnt even on their web site, i think someone must have read it and realised how crap it is. its just blatantly wrong and made up. And the guy is supposed to be writing it from montreal, getting the inside story, all that jazz. Its not even half true, its not even an easy mistake to make, its just total bs