Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
silverfocusstar
mmmm...chocolate...

Default Focus RS AWD 228kws

Hey people! I just read in an online magazine that Ford of Europe is seriously considering fast tracking the development of the Focus RS.

the specs are as follows:
-all wheel drive
-2.5 litre [volvo sourced:see xr5] turbo engine
-maxing out 228 kilowatts :thebirds: :

sounds tasty just thinking about it. if they did bring it out i wonder if ford of europe will actually elevate australia up the ladder so we can have decent import levels. i reckon fpv would take charge of this beast. if it did...bye bye to hsv's astra, mazda 3mps and golf r32.

but nothing comes as close as the focus!
silverfocusstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds good but also sounds a little too good to be true, what';s the link?
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News_Articl...currentresults
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
silverfocusstar
mmmm...chocolate...

mmmmm tasty!

Old 02-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

This car would be awesome. The XR5 is a nice car but the torque steer it had gave me the s#its. Otherwise it went hard and revved out and seemed to want to go higher.
AWD Focus, yes please!!
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #6
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that's hot
Old 02-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #7
FRA
Mr Focus

Bring it on.
It's about time the Focus got this upgrade
Watch out EVO and WRX, go the Focus...LOL
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
marcosambrose

I seriously doubt the RS would be brought to Oz, how many would Ford sell here? not many!

The ST/XR5 has sold like a can of drink on a hot day, why? because its $36k thats why.

The RS would be about $55k if it hits our shores. Thats FPV territory, and im not sure if FPV are ready for a 5-pot hatch. Ford marketing Oz still suck at selling small cars, i doubt FPV would know much more about it.

Of course i want it here, it would be the Ford Hero car for the next decade with fuel prices the way they are, not to mention that it would dump a pile of on any WRX or MPS or whatever other japanese car is out there.

The ST/XR5 is fine for Oz at the moment, Australians still dont know how to buy a small car (just look at small car sales, Viva, Barina, Yaris, Corolla) and until Ford can get the message out that the Focus is best small car out there, then its not going to bring it here because quite frankly, focus sales are half of what they should be.

Oh and not forgetting that the damn europeans would probably buy them all before we would get a chance to look at one.
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #9
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosambrose
I seriously doubt the RS would be brought to Oz, how many would Ford sell here? not many!
Well, the Golf GTI sold well - we have the XR5T now
The R32 sold relatively well - we SHOULD have the RS

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #10
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Australians still dont know how to buy a small car (just look at small car sales, Viva, Barina, Yaris, Corolla)
I think Small Car Sales are booming. Astra, Golf, Mazda3 and Corolla are the big guns. The Focus is also there.... we also have the 307, C4 and Megane from the frenchies. The small car market is DEFINITELY booming and things are only going to get tougher with Diesel models going insane!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 03:03 PM   #11
silverfocusstar
mmmm...chocolate...

i agree ford needs to do more with its small car marketing, but i think the RS is FPV guise would be a winner! the focus just fell short of one unit behind the astra in the april sales tally. the astra used to be in top 5 territory, and its now 9th! focus was never in the top 10 since the debut of the LR a few years ago, but now the focus is ranked 10th and gaining momentum. ford needs to capitalise on this momentum, and i think the ads for the focus are clever, although i wish there would be one already for the xr5.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #12
marcosambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
I think Small Car Sales are booming. Astra, Golf, Mazda3 and Corolla are the big guns. The Focus is also there.... we also have the 307, C4 and Megane from the frenchies. The small car market is DEFINITELY booming and things are only going to get tougher with Diesel models going insane!
I meant that Australians are buying the WRONG small cars, instead of buying Euro Astra, Focus, Golf, C4, Fiesta etc they are buying crapboxs like viva, korena-barina, rio etc.

I whole-heartedly agree that an FPV RS would be ballastic, but first FPV need to learn about customer service and Ford need to learn about small car marketing.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #13
Talldude

i had a service in a country ford department and they were veru good gave me sms when the car was ready and didnt try to rip me off, so i guess ford has to learn to be consistant in their servicing.

but i would love this car!

does volvo make a 4wd volvo sedan if they did it would be easy to slot the runing gear into a focus.
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 01:45 PM   #14
Forg
Starter Motor

This wouldn't have to be a $55k car; Volvo currently sell it (with the engine detuned to XR5T level) for $55k. So if Ford undercuts that by even only $50k, they're outpowering & probably out-suspensioning Mazda & Subaru for slightly less money. OK, the Ford badge does devalue the car a little for most buyers; but if they could do it for base-spec Mazda6 MPS pricing ($48600) then I reckon they could sell a few.
I guess it depends on whether they think they'd sell enough here to bother; but with the drivetrain (Volvo S40/V50) & engine (Volvo S60R) already being available for sale here, and the body also, it must surely cost them about the least it's possible for an ADR certification to cost.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 03:49 PM   #15
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
not to mention that it would dump a pile of on any WRX or MPS or whatever other japanese car is out there.
Wake up ! : You know next to nothing about a car not even yet in production, yet you say it will S . H . I . T on any WRX/MPS/Jap _ you are a dreamer

Also if its a Ford with RS after its model name, DO NOT let FPV anywhere near it, it is totally uneccessary, its an RS for gods sake !
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #16
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Golf doesn't quite make it as a Big Gun I'm afraid.

VFACTS May result:

Corolla 2898
Mazda3 2555

Then a tight bunch of 4

Astra 1289
Focus 1288
Elantra 1149
Civic 1140

Nothing else over 1000. Golf did 627
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 05:47 PM   #17
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Wake up ! : You know next to nothing about a car not even yet in production, yet you say it will S . H . I . T on any WRX/MPS/Jap _ you are a dreamer
going by the specs it looks like it would S . H . I . T on any WRX/MPS/Jap...
Old 05-06-2006, 05:54 PM   #18
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec20
going by the specs it looks like it would S . H . I . T on any WRX/MPS/Jap...
What specs.... a very MAYBE power figure :evil_laug

Lets not worry about torque, weight, gear ratios or how these other vehicles will improve by the time a RS actually arrives (if ever) _
Old 05-06-2006, 06:13 PM   #19
used

The RS might not crap on WRX/MPS/ or any other hot hatches
but one thing for sure it would be a very competitive car in the range...
there is no point for ford to built a car that could not run with the other bad boys.
BUT i do believe that with the sucess of the XR5/st ford would have plan for a RS.
and if RS is in production, means that most of us here would need to find a second job....
used is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #20
silverfocusstar
mmmm...chocolate...

i dont see why fpv cant sell this car if it ever comes down to australia. they dont have to touch the car...just sell it through their dealer network as a focus spec above the xr5t. holden just rebadged the vauxhall vxr for its hsv operations, so i cant see why ford cant do the same marketing angle.

and we dont need the rs to beat the wrx...the xr5t already did in the current wheels issue...not by all out grunt, but by overall polish...

Old 05-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #21
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by used
The RS might not crap on WRX/MPS/ or any other hot hatches
but one thing for sure it would be a very competitive car in the range...
there is no point for ford to built a car that could not run with the other bad boys.
BUT i do believe that with the sucess of the XR5/st ford would have plan for a RS.
and if RS is in production, means that most of us here would need to find a second job....
Agreed, The RS really should not be compared to a WRX/MPS its at the next level...

I see it as

STi
EVO
RS
R32

then the next level down

WRX
ST
GTi
Old 05-06-2006, 09:13 PM   #22
used

mmm sti evo rs r32
but after all, all specs including the price will be judged to see which is the best car.
just wondering the sale figures of both Sti and Evo in euro. compare to R32 and also pricing between these three cars and even so r32 would be more of a direct competitor due to both are hatch while sti and evo are seden. (correct me if i am wrong but most of the people i talked to they dont go for hatch if they are seden supporters)
and of cos the popularity of it as well...
even tho these three cars would be very comptitive in the australia market but in the end it is the world market ford would really need to look at to see if the car would be put on production.
if rs is ever gonna go on production
Ford would really consider on
1. the sales figures of focus and Xr5t
2. the sales figures of other competitor ie VXR, R32
3. is there a need for a "super hot hatch"?
and in the end can ford aus end the deal with ford euro.?
but anyway rs would be great and lets just wait and see...
Old 05-06-2006, 09:20 PM   #23
marcosambrose

Quote:
Im pretty sure that an AWD 228kw Mk2 Focus RS would flog a WRX or MPS around the 'ring.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:26 PM   #24
amlohac

Um just for the record, the current RS kicks the crap out of a WRX on the track. They had a shoot out on, um..... that british car show, the name has totally slipped my mind for the minute. But yes if anyone has the video i think it would prove a very nice point
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 06:43 AM   #25
silverfocusstar
mmmm...chocolate...

i think i know what show you're on about amlohac...good show it is too!

Old 06-06-2006, 08:59 AM   #26
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlohac
Um just for the record, the current RS kicks the crap out of a WRX on the track. They had a shoot out on, um..... that british car show, the name has totally slipped my mind for the minute. But yes if anyone has the video i think it would prove a very nice point
Top Gear

Lap Times

Subaru Impreza STI 1.30.1
Golf R32 1.30.4
Ford Focus RS 1.32.2

maybe you mean another British car show _
Old 06-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #27
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Top Gear

Lap Times

Subaru Impreza STI 1.30.1
Golf R32 1.30.4
Ford Focus RS 1.32.2

maybe you mean another British car show _
Wasnt that a wet test? and they said that on a dry track it would have nailed it?
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #28
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Wasnt that a wet test? and they said that on a dry track it would have nailed it?
Pretty sure it was the ST that had the wet test & they reckoned it would have beat the RS if it was dry.

I could be completely wrong though :
Old 06-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #29
Forg
Starter Motor

While Top Gear is fun, and good to watch, and I enjoy it ... every time they come back with the results of a comparison, I have to temper it with the fact that Clarkson has been known to say good things about Range Rovers & how they drive. Plus comparos in Yewrop/UK don't always translate to here, whether because of roads or fuel or whatever; notable examples are the claimed ~7.5s 0-100 performance of the SB Barina GSi (which by the time it got here was more like 10s), and also the general raving over there about the Renault Bum Car RenaultSport 225 (which doesn't quite seem to 'gel' on our roads).

One comment though; the Japanese do tend towards brochure-filling numbers (with the notable exception of cars which exceeded their 300hp gentleman's agreement), whereas the Europeans tend to put out more drivable engines with more "real"-feeling power figures. The S60R weighs a good 500kg more than a Focus (so a good 400kg more than a Focus with AWD), and while it's capable of 6s 0-100 it suffers a little due to it's weight; if they're talking about putting that engine into a Focus, it should have a really nice usable torque spread, be more nimble, and also be generally nicer to use than STi's & EVO's are off the racetrack. However ... there's a lot of "should" there; best to wait & see what happens.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 04:43 PM   #30
used

btw how much is a S40R?