Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-05-2006, 09:51 PM   #1
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Default Extended Warranty.....Is it worthwhile ?

Just got a letter from the Ford Dealership where i bought my GTP advising me that my New Vehicle Warranty is close to expiry.
The Ford Solutions Extended New Vehicle Warranty is an extension of your current New Vechicle Warranty for all new Ford Vehicle.
In order to be eligible for the Ford Solutions Extended New Vehicle Warranty plan vehicles must have travelled less than 90,000 Klm and are under 3 years old.The Plan can be purchased on either time or Kilometres.
Time Options are; Kilometres travelled options
12 Months/100,000 $1245 12 Months/120,00
24 Months/100,000 $1445 24 Months/140,000
36 Months/100,000 $1595 36 Months/160,000
What are your opinions on this subject , is it worthwhile or not ? to take up the option on Extended New Vehicle Warranty.
By the way my car has travelled only 23,800
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

certainly worthwhile if you plan to keep the car stock IMO. I got one for my BA XR , but those prices are about $500 more than the 36 month Ford Solution extention that i purchased. Maby bacause ive got an I6 , but shop around anyway...just make sure its "Ford Solutions" warranty that you endup with..

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me, it all depends on how long I keep the car for. If the Ford Solutions Extended New Vehicle Warranty is exactly the same as the original warranty, I would go for it.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #4
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
certainly worthwhile if you plan to keep the car stock IMO. I got one for my BA XR , but those prices are about $500 more than the 36 month Ford Solution extention that i purchased.

James
You have to remember that these prices apply to Special Vehicle such as GTPs etc.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #5
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Worth every single penny. I had it on my Fairmont and it paid for itself in the first 8 months of having it.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #6
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a little less than 12 months till my warranty is up... I'll probably go the extra yer at least anyway. As it's an extension of the factory warranty it shouldn't be like one of those car yard dodgey warranties that cover everything except what will break.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #7
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
You have to remember that these prices apply to Special Vehicle such as GTPs etc.
Cheers John
Ofcourse , but as the selling dealer make profits form the sale of the warranty , there is always room for negotiation.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:32 PM   #8
Aeron
DJR Fan

When i get that letter, i'll go and upgrade to BF. Who knows where we stand, even with minimal mods. You could pay your $1595 for them to say sorry, you have Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer, Open mouth cold air induction, Uni Chip and BMC air filter. Your warranty is void. :(
I’d be asking your local service department if you would still be covered.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #9
GT-E

As mentioned it is worth it if the car is stock and you plan to keep it longer.
You can also cash in any extended warranties if you want. I had a 3 year one on my T I traded in and got $1100 back from Ford...sorta made up for the crap trade in I got.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:35 PM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

I've never used it and have never seen the point.
Before you choose to continue, find out what is covers, sometime the extented warrenty doesn't cover what the normal warrenty did.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #11
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeron
When i get that letter, i'll go and upgrade to BF. Who knows where we stand, even with minimal mods. You could pay your $1595 for them to say sorry, you have Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer, Open mouth cold air induction, Uni Chip and BMC air filter. Your warranty is void. :(
I’d be asking your local service department if you would still be covered.
Your right Aeron , you warranty probably will be void on engine / transmission but you still have the rest of the car covered....if your CD player buggers up for instance , it will still get fixed.

If (when) the mod bug bites me , ill be expecting my engine / drive train warranty to be void , but I like the fact the smaller (and sometimes expensive) things are still covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I've never used it and have never seen the point.
Before you choose to continue, find out what is covers, sometime the extented warrenty doesn't cover what the normal warrenty did.
its been said many times before , We are talking about a factory warranty extention not an aftermarket one.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:00 AM   #12
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
In order to be eligible for the Ford Solutions Extended New Vehicle Warranty plan vehicles must have travelled less than 90,000 Klm and are under 3 years old.
This bit always got me with the Ford Warranty extension (which I got on my ute) .. why 90,000km/under-3years? What's wrong with allowing to purchase this extension up to the normal warranty expiry of 100,000km/3years???? (like I did with my Holden?)

Do Ford know somethings going to happen in those last 10,000km???

Rod.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 09:29 AM   #13
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

come on guys Its just a marketing con you know don't you.

ever want to service it yourself? ever want to do any mods? been to the drag strip lately?

Do you actually think they will fix stuff for free because you paid for a warranty?
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #14
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
This bit always got me with the Ford Warranty extension (which I got on my ute) .. why 90,000km/under-3years? What's wrong with allowing to purchase this extension up to the normal warranty expiry of 100,000km/3years???? (like I did with my Holden?)

Do Ford know somethings going to happen in those last 10,000km???

Rod.
it is a 3y warranty with a maximum odometer reading of 100,000kms. You can only purchase a warranty if the vehicle has less than 90,000kms....
Old 10-05-2006, 09:31 AM   #15
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Do you actually think they will fix stuff for free because you paid for a warranty?
they just did for me :
Old 10-05-2006, 01:25 PM   #16
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
it is a 3y warranty with a maximum odometer reading of 100,000kms. You can only purchase a warranty if the vehicle has less than 90,000kms....
Why not up to 99,999.9999999999 .. km?????

.. and yep, why bother with warranty if you are going to mod, etc .. but then if you've got money to throw away then more power to ya! If you could afford to replace a Boss290 that's thrown a rod or something, then obviously warranty concerns are irrelevant ..
Rod.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #17
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
I've got a little less than 12 months till my warranty is up... I'll probably go the extra yer at least anyway. As it's an extension of the factory warranty it shouldn't be like one of those car yard dodgey warranties that cover everything except what will break.
I had one from a Ford dealer like that when I bought my EL. To figure out who it is just read the sticker in my EL's back window. A cyl head/head gasket under warranty cost me $2500!

You guys shouldn't be having warrranty claims for cars with low k's but I guess it seems to be a Ford trait. Got to make money somewhere.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #18
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Warranties would be useless if nothing broke.. all manufacturers give warraties.. not just ford.
Not to mention that if somethinig is covered under warranty then they don't make any money.... to have had a head gasket cost you that, I suggest there is more to the story.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #19
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Warranties would be useless if nothing broke.. all manufacturers give warraties.. not just ford.

Exactly right , I think of it just like an insurance policy....
Old 10-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #20
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not to mention that if somethinig is covered under warranty then they don't make any money.... to have had a head gasket cost you that, I suggest there is more to the story.
They cyl head cracked and I required a new cyl head surprisingly. I marked the head and it wasn't replaced. I don't go to dealers anymore. It isn't cost effective. It took them just over a week. My warranty didn't cover labour. Which was majority of the cost. They also only covered 75% of the cyl head cost. Pretty pathetic considering I'd only driven the car 10,000k's since I bought it from them.

nb : this was way back when EL's were still able to be bought new, hence costs.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post