Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default Who uses sleeping pils.

As I was just sitting here on AFF I started to think that it was about time I got some sleep. I suffer from insomnia. I havent been to bed for 3 days now. But I know that if I lay down I still wont do more than doze.

I have to take a mild sleeping pill (stillnox) to knock me out for about 6 hours. So I thought I would see if I am the only one in this little corner of cyber space that suffers the same issues???

Cheers all and hopefully nighty night.... :nutsycuck

Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
Scott

Yep, only on the odd occasion though. Normally I just get the sh1ts and lie there til the alarm goes off!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

I do take stilknox on a the rare occasion but to be honest i don't think they work that well. I have very broken slip, couple of hours here and there but i do have fair amount of other health problems so its par for the course.

My brother inlaw suffers similar problems but he is a workaholic and just can't seem to switch off from his business when he comes home at night.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

I used to chew threw temazapan (spelling?) like they were lollies. But these days half or more of a bottle of jacks, jim or john a night is a better alternative. : : sleep:
rapidxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I always wake up at 2am, 4/5am every night. I dont take any pills. When I was little, I used to hear stories of people who take too many and never waking up (suicide). So I used to be really scared that if I took one I might never wake up. lol I was like... 6 at the time btw. But even though I wake up during the night, I still get my rest so I'm good.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 11:00 PM   #6
ozzyjim

yeah guilty of stillnox, normison, and restavit. Try restavit mate as u can buy over the counter, the only problem is that unlike the others it last longer and will make u feel heaps tired the next day.

Cheers
Jim
Old 02-05-2006, 11:12 PM   #7
Scott

Restavit works well for me, use in moderation though!
Old 02-05-2006, 11:58 PM   #8
myxr6
Banned

If i take a pill I wake up after 2 hours wide awake and can't sleep for 2 days.
Will never take another sleeping tablet.After 7 years shift work my body clock is totallt screwed, so I sleep when i am tiredand hope for the best.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 12:43 AM   #9
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A beer before bed always knocks me out...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 01:01 AM   #10
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxr6
If i take a pill I wake up after 2 hours wide awake and can't sleep for 2 days.
Will never take another sleeping tablet.After 7 years shift work my body clock is totallt screwed, so I sleep when i am tiredand hope for the best.
me too , but the family doesn't understand and thinks i'm lazy . but they dont understand that i am sometimes working in the rain at 3am on sunday.
i sleep the least in my family but they all think i sleep all the time . i average about 5 hrs a day but occasionally i get 10 hours catchup.
sometimes i take one or two mersondol. they knock you out for 8 hours.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 01:03 AM   #11
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

anyone who wants a relaxation technique which if done properly will get you off to sleep, pm me an email address and I'll shoot you off a copy sometime tomorrow.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 10:33 AM   #12
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I work graveyard shift and only get 3hrs max during the day and another 2 before work. Weekends I actually back to back those hrs so I get 5 altogether. That is when I'm not working my second job. Sleep is overated,you sleep when you die and you're a long time dead.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #13
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've popped a few but only on rare occasions. Can't remember what they were called but diazapam rings a bell. Doc said take 2 but geez two knocked me out for nearly 2 days. 1 was plenty. I found I always felt crap the next morning with them.

Insomnia is a bastard!

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 10:58 AM   #14
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
As I was just sitting here on AFF I started to think that it was about time I got some sleep. I suffer from insomnia. I havent been to bed for 3 days now. But I know that if I lay down I still wont do more than doze.

I have to take a mild sleeping pill (stillnox) to knock me out for about 6 hours. So I thought I would see if I am the only one in this little corner of cyber space that suffers the same issues???

Cheers all and hopefully nighty night.... :nutsycuck
I am getting to the stage where I am contemplating taking something. Waking after a couple of hours sleep then restless for hours. It has been said that one should get up at that stage, do stuff and return to bed when the next wave of sleepiness hits. Thats OK but the rest of the household doesn't take too kindly to someone clunking around the house while they're trying to sleep!
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 11:11 AM   #15
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

i sort of have that problem ... but i've adapted to stupid sleeping patterns, the only way i can get to sleep with ease is run around a block a few times or go to the shops ,,, otherwise it'll take me 5 hrs to get to sleep eh...
(not sure if this has anythin to do with it, but sometimes - rare, but i wake up like i'm having a seisure haha i think its a panic attack, but i have adapted and brushed it off as if its nothing =)

- what are some good brand pills to take.. to make you non tired .. i got 5 hrs sleep last night
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 11:42 AM   #16
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

I'm always stuck laying awake in bed. Years ago I suffered really badly and got Temazapan form the army and it helped. I didn't want to get addicted so I stopped and tried the natural way.

I find changes in surroundings don't help, ie. quiet to noisy it take time to adapt.

I'm really looking forward to the new job with 24 hour rotating rosters. Might need some nice tablets
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 12:47 PM   #17
gtfpv
GT

my advice is shift work is bad enough . anyone doing shift work and then a 2nd job "what are you living for? dont do it . lots of people dont realise its caused from over exertion , stress and long working hours .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 02:40 PM   #18
The Monty
Just slidin'

I have the occasional stillnox, or sometimes just a couple of Dolased, while not a sleeping tablet, they help me get there and help me from having a broken sleep.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:50 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I sleep when i can ... i am one of the "rotational day/night shiftworkers that does another job on the side".

Although I seem to be one of the luckier ones though ... when i finish my shift I get home have a light meal and relax for the bit and go to bed ... after a nightshift i am that tired (as I have just driven 75km home from work after a minimum 12 hour shift) I go to bed and crash out for 8 hours.

I have actually had to stop on the side of the road on the way home and sleep in the car ... just to make it home alive.

One my days off from my shiftwork I do 8-10 hour days doing courier work around Sydney driving the entire day ... so that can tire me out enough so I get decent sleep at night.

I think it's a case of that I tire myself out enough that I am exhausted.

I'd go crazy if i couldn't sleep though ... i definitely wouldn't be working a 2nd job if i couldn't sleep properly though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 04:36 PM   #20
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

If i needed to i would. But i sleep during normal hours (Night Time) and not during the day like some shift workers.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #21
aimzes
...fairly odd

you guys just need to do an honest days work... lol jokes.

i live a block from one of the busiest roads in sudknee and under a flight path aaaannnd close to an international flight path. i sleep very well indeed.

lucky i like aircraft.
aimzes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 06:19 PM   #22
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMHO sleep is over-rated, "they" reckon the more sleep you need the less intelligent you are. :

Anyway, if I am really lucky I will sleep for 6 hours max, it has been years since I have had more than that. I used to be a truck driver and still work in the industry so I still work the hours, so that has thrown me. :
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 07:39 PM   #23
AUIIIXR8
Formerly AU2XLSV8

Sorry guys i have no trouble sleeping at all usually. When i have taken pills etc i find that they sometimes work but screw up my internal clock for a week afterwards.
Beer/rum or two is good if your wired. Other than that i just try to get 7.5-8 hours a night, no more. I find if i oversleep it can mess it all up.

Past
EL 6 S/C - sold
AUII XLS V8 Stroker - sold
99' Laser (runabout) - sold
BA Fairmont - sold
AU III XR8 220 - sold (so should have kept this one)
AU III XLS Tickford 6 - sold

Formerly AU2XLSV8
AUIIIXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 08:22 PM   #24
YuGoStaR
Long Member

Did you know that the most you can live without sleep is eleven days. Afterwards you die, due to the lack of REM sleep which is when your brain replenishes neurons etc.

Just a cheesy fact from the Victorian College of Pharmacy, courtesy YuGoStaR.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:13 PM   #25
alesia
Banned

yeah i am on a different type of sleeping or relaxing pill every month or so ..... this of course was all through my doctor, i am only 18, i havent been able to sleep more then 2 hours a night without them (and thats 2 hours in gaps) sinse i was 16, stress level from when my mother kicked me out
alesia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #26
MustangNicko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After consulting my gf who is a pharmacist you can buy Dozile, Unisom, Restavit, Avil, Periactin and other drowsy anti-histamines over the counter. If however you decide to buy these, make sure you look presentable as your request will be denied if you look like a druggy. If these don't work for you, you can speak to your doctor and he/she may prescribe something stronger to combat your cyber-induced insomnia.
MustangNicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #27
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Listen you lot of reprobates get out there and do an honest days PHYSICAL work and you will sleep!!!!!

Bloody mob of whinging nancy's.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 10:20 PM   #28
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
Listen you lot of reprobates get out there and do an honest days PHYSICAL work and you will sleep!!!!!

rofl

An honest days work doesn't cure insomnia. I work shiftwork and your body clock gets really screwed up sometimes. I've had several nights this year that I've gone to work on no more than 2 hours sleep in a 48 our period. Still only slept for 6 hours when I finally was able to sleep.

I'm going night shift soon but work still managed to throw an afternoon shift in the roster to screw up my body clock.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 10:47 PM   #29
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster

Uh huh. Insomnia and not being tired are a little different. If it was that simple, not sleeping for 3 nights straight would cure it, not make it worse.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:16 PM   #30
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Hi all I am glad to see that I am not the only one that finds refreshing sleep an elusive luxury. When I posted at the beginning of this thread I had been awake for 3 straight nights. I had not even attempted to sleep. I have a very happy employer!!! Well I took a pill and it nailed me for 8.5 hours. The longest I have slept in about 3 or 4 months. I am under the care of a very good doctor, he has offered stronger sedatives but I wont go further than stilnox, reason being that I can still function the next day (or 2 or 3 or 4). I am a shift worker (2 days 2 nights 4 days off) weekends and public holidays mean nothing, if I am rostered on, I work. Luckily I love my work and have a very understanding empolyer, I have been told many times to go home. It is a good feeling to know that there are others out there that have similar issues. BTW my mates love me when we go on long road trips... "no problems mate, you drive, we'll take a kip and take over if you get tired" yeah right!!!

Cheers all. :togo:
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post