Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-04-2006, 12:11 AM   #1
Mutley

Default What type of Child's Safety Seat

I'm chasing some advice regarding child safety seats. I have 2 girls aged 2 and 4 and need to rearrange the rear seat seating plan. They are currently in 8-18kg convertible seats but don't know what type of seats to use now as the eldest is 18kg's. My choices are either a foam type high backed booster seat, backless type booster seat or maxirider type with 4 point harness.

Can anyone who has experienced these types of seats please tell me what you recommend and why? I currently have an EF wagon.

Mutley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 02:11 AM   #2
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

The backless booster seat is the lowest form of child seat and I wouldnt be considering this one at all. The foam type is the next step up and really, isnt providing anywhere near the protection a proper seat will.

Go the 4 point harness. Nothing is as valuable as your kids and nothing but the absolute best safety should be provided for them. It is in this type seat your children stand the best chance of surviving an accident and in reality, these type seats are more safe than the seat you drive in even with all the airbags, collapsible steering and crumple zones provided. More and more children in proper 4 point harness seats survive accidents where their parents have been killed simply due to the seat they are in. I cant stress enough the importance of these seats for kids.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.

Last edited by Black XR6; 17-04-2006 at 02:30 AM.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 09:29 AM   #3
Mutley

Thanks for the advice Black XR6. Like most choices in life the best is the most expensive but kids are more important than anything.
Old 17-04-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

We are trying to get these for our 2 youngest now.

http://www.recarochildseats.com/styleChildSeats.asp#

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #5
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutley
Thanks for the advice Black XR6. Like most choices in life the best is the most expensive but kids are more important than anything.
Yeah, and like most parents your probably finding it hard on the bank balance to get everything they need, we did. But in the end what price for the lives of your kids. Better they get full safety and miss out on some toys or something than have the toys and have the worst happen.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 17-04-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
Yeah, and like most parents your probably finding it hard on the bank balance to get everything they need, we did. But in the end what price for the lives of your kids. Better they get full safety and miss out on some toys or something than have the toys and have the worst happen.
Exactly. Only thing sadder than a kid with no toys is a heap of toys with no kids to play with them.

Safety first. It costs but it is absolutely critical.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 10:47 AM   #7
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
We are trying to get these for our 2 youngest now.

http://www.recarochildseats.com/styleChildSeats.asp#

That seat looks to offre some good side impact protection. That would be a good choice if you couldnt afford the 4 point harness type.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 17-04-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Also, just done a very quick google on the maxirider seat you mention as the 4 point harness type. From what I read the 4 point harness is only whilst they are small. When they get bigger, aka 18kg, the harness removes and the seat belt restrains them instead making them just another booster.

So, not sure if there is a 4 point harness seat available for the upto 26kg sizes.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 17-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #9
Mutley

My brother and sister in law put their kids in booster seats but always ran into trouble with the seatbelt running across their face. It seems to me you could probably hold the belt down but in an accident, when the pressure comes on the seatbelt, the belt would still ride up over their face. Any good advice on this issue?
Old 17-04-2006, 11:21 AM   #10
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Sorry to dominate the thread a little. But anyways, heres some links ive found that give some info

http://motoring.racv.com.au/peacemin...oster_seat.cfm - brief explanation of the different types you mention

http://autoweb.drive.com.au/cms/A_10...wsarticle.html - a good read on booster seats and some statistics on deaths etc.

Take a trip into a local babies galore etc and talk to them about what the latest safety features are for booster seats etc.

Here is a quote on the maxi rider "Another safer alternative to the booster seat is Safe n Sound Maxi rider seat. This seat is rated for 8kg to 26kg and has a built in harness. It offers a maximum protection and now the new model maxi rider has side impact protection (S.I.P). This offers maximum protection for your child and secure your child in the most effective way with a built in 5 point harness"

Stinking, mongrel, dog.

Last edited by Black XR6; 17-04-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old 17-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #11
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutley
My brother and sister in law put their kids in booster seats but always ran into trouble with the seatbelt running across their face. It seems to me you could probably hold the belt down but in an accident, when the pressure comes on the seatbelt, the belt would still ride up over their face. Any good advice on this issue?
My son is only 1 year old and not near booster seats so I havent done the research on them. But isnt there booster seats that thread the seat belt down and across their chests to stop this. I would think there would be or else all kids in booster seats would suffer from this and be very dangerous in accidents. Not meaning to make any offensive comment, but maybe your brothers isnt as new or as "safe" as it could be. Not sure though.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 17-04-2006, 11:43 AM   #12
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

my appologies again. Another post.

http://www.babyzonedirect.com.au/information/car_safety

This has a good explanation of the car seat. The best points of this seat are:

1) it is bolted into the car like a rear facing, ie it dosnt just sit there like a regular booster.

2) As a result of 1, the harness must fit the child right upto 27kg. An extremely good safety feature and something I havent seen in another booster so far.

3) Side impact protection.

Ive got no doubt this is the booster seat I will be buying in a few months when our next child arrives. Will be moving my one year old into this booster and putting the bub into oue existing rear facing seat. Glad you brought it up now mutley :-)

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 17-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #13
Mutley

Thanks black XR6. I hope all goes well with the baby.

Cheers
Old 17-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #14
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

GRRR, Just read the 5 point harness actually dosnt fit them all the way through to 27kg. That just makes it another booster, except it bolts into the car which is still a big plus. Ill keep looking for a booster that harnesses upto 27kg.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 17-04-2006, 01:40 PM   #15
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

If anybody is looking at the maxi rider there is a recall on seats built between 17 May 2005 and 26 May 2005 with an inspection label with the number 63. Check the stock your buying.

http://birth.com.au/forum/showthread...oto=nextnewest

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 17-04-2006, 01:47 PM   #16
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From Casper's post about 'older' baby seats.

I am trying to track down one of these seats in the UK, So that i can have him sit in it... I have relatives coming out on holidays in a few months, so this would be totally sweet... One thing i dont know about is, Do the European cars have the same fixing system for child seats as we do? I would expect yes, But i cant be certain...

Recaro Sports Child Seats
UK Recaro Link

Last edited by Martyvan; 17-04-2006 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Wrong Person Quoted! & UK Link...
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 02:40 PM   #17
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Euromarket and most of the world = ISOFIX Standard.

Interesting discussion and statements.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 05:01 PM   #18
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Not sure about euro seats, but americans from what we saw had a very different way of securing the seat to the car. They had a bar welded behind the seat where the back meets the seat part. You know the gap where all your money goes down. The child seat sat on the car seat and the child seat came with a strap that you use to fasten it down to this rod. Strange system but looked like it would work.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 17-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #19
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Euromarket and most of the world = ISOFIX Standard.
Thats what i read on the UK sites, but i wasnt sure if our standard was the ISOFIX standard or something more stringent and unique to Australia.

Looks like my wifes aunty coming out in July will be bringing a nice large Recaro Box with her
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 11:57 PM   #20
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Does the recaro one allow the 5 point harness to be used right upto 27kg etc. On that link about is says, use the 5 point harness from 30-80 pounds. Which is about 36kg. But under that it also says remove harnessing system and use as belt positioning booster. So which is it, a belt booster or full harness setup for kids upto 36kg?

Note: just done some research on it. Found this on a website.

" The Young Sport is a forward-facing, LATCH compatible youth car seat that converts into a belt-positioning booster seat with a few very easy adjustments. It's simple to install, and is suited for use in vehicles fitted with 2 or 3-point safety belts as well as the LATCH system (the young sport is LATCH compatible while in its forward-facing mode only--not booster mode)."

Im not at all sure the harness can be used right upto 36kg as their site states. I have emailed them through the site to get an answer once and for all.

More info here - http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro/baby...ightFlash.html

The above site says to only use the harness upto 18kg then change to booster.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.