Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-10-2005, 11:11 PM   #1
Leah
www.madel.com.au

Default Sunroofs... good or bad?

Well as the title suggests, Ive been considering getting a sunroof installed alot lately. Ive always loved them, but have heard both good & bad stories about them.

I was hoping you guys could shed some light on the pro's and con's to sunroof's, where you got them done and the approx cost. Im in Victoria.

Sanx!

-Leah

Leah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 11:49 PM   #2
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Pros:

Sunlight!
Can look good ;)
More buttons to play with

Cons:
Noise.
Possible bad seals, etc
Can look not as good as before.

It's a toss-up really!

Can't help with prices sorry, and as for sunroof vs no sunroof I'm going by my experiences in my old man's BA and VZ.

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 11:50 PM   #3
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

I honestly think they're the best.
Have never lived with one day to day, but on everycar I've driven that did have one, it was always open with the light pouring in. At speed, not even the rain was getting in, and if you were stopped, you could close it and still have the glass allowing light in.

I'm seriously considering one for the next (or current) car.
Prestige Sunroofs in Vic are supposed to be the best there is. Saab and Subaru use them to fit suroofs to their aus vehicles.
Quicklier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 11:53 PM   #4
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Go for a long warranty that covers rust, seals and all fittings etc. At least a lot longer than you will keep the car.
Old 26-10-2005, 11:55 PM   #5
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once you have one, you will not one a car without one. My advise dont get one and you will not know what you are missing! I got one and now everytime I buy/look for a car it will have to have a sunroof.
Old 26-10-2005, 11:55 PM   #6
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I wouldn't get one personally. Everyone I know with one has hated it.
They leaked, and one even started to rust the roof around it, staining all the headlining around it and making it sag.

I also couldn't handle the thought of the roof getting hacked apart.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 12:00 AM   #7
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im not a fan of them... My RS has one and it leaks and has caused rust in the roof so its getting removed... If i was to have one though id only have a factory fitted one...
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 12:01 AM   #8
SSbaby
Banned

Sunrooves are good BUT I wouldn't get an aftermarket one.

Having seen the way the factory pressings are crafted for a factory sunroof and the rust proofing that follows, I would definitely avoid getting an aftermarket sunroof as over time, it would be prone to corrosion due the inability to properly seal the roof's cut edges.
Old 27-10-2005, 12:05 AM   #9
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby

Having seen the way the factory pressings are crafted for a factory sunroof and the rust proofing that follows, I would definitely avoid getting an aftermarket sunroof as over time, it would be prone to corrosion due the inability to properly seal the roof's cut edges.
Why do they not rust proof them? I would insist on it! I would also insist on nothing less that a 15 year warranty that covers rust to the roof, water damage to the roof lining, leakage, fading etc. If they can't supplly it they can't have my business!
Old 27-10-2005, 12:24 AM   #10
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby

Factory pressing? You mean the roof turret being pre punched?
Nah.... I think you'll find the Ford ones are fitted in the FPV building & they just cut the hole with electric shears? (which is same as after market)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 02:39 AM   #11
Biggoggs
Rider on the storm

Well, my EA2 has a factory sunroof. It seems to open up the car a bit for the passengers, adds to the cooling on a hot day, but I could easily live without it. Because it's getting old, it's broken in one particular place and only slides a few cm, crooked. It also has a nasty tendancy to leak in bad weather, I could go round a corner and me or a passenger will get a little wet. Makes a little road noise at speed too, and do you really want sunlight on your gauges?

Overall, it's a `nice' feature. I'd be hesitant to buy another one though, I still don't like the idea of a plastic window sealed with rubber in an aluminium roof, over the front seats.
Biggoggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 09:02 AM   #12
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

about 5 years ago i had a Pajero with a sunroof. that car was already 5 years old when i bought it and we never had one drama with it. now we have the new GT with a factory fitted roof and don't expect any dramas. i've got a feeling a sunroof is only as good as the maintenence it receives, like the rest of the car.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 09:17 AM   #13
Stampy

Factory fit only .
Mine has no problems and it's design is excellent so you can have it open in the rain ,there is no rust in mine and i live near the coast .
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 09:19 AM   #14
Gunns
Banned

They are great right up to the point when they start leaking.
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 09:56 AM   #15
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

I have had 4 cars with Sunroofs and can honestly say, every car I purchase from now till death will include a sunroof, I love them, never had a problem, and there is nothing like a nice little cruise late at night with the roof open and a nice cool breeze flowing thru the car.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 10:04 AM   #16
BJ
Banned

They are great. The XC has a factory one fitted. No leaks and no wind noise. The best part is going for a cruise over the black spur with it open ( for those in Melbourne you will know were im talking about) the site and smell of that freash country air, well you just carn't beat it. Go for it.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 10:04 AM   #17
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

I am obsessed with Sunroofs at the moment.

I have done quite a bit of research into this lately and from what I am told FPV do not actually do the sunroofs themselves. The car is made first and then sent to the sunroof fitter – who then cuts the roof and fits the sunroof -he does this to FPVs strict guidelines. So even factory sunroofs are technically not “factory” fitted. However they are listed on your car as an option so therefore covered by your Ford warranty. So as long as you found the right fitter I don't think it would be a problem esp if you can suss out who Ford use.

It never even crossed my mind that a sunroof would leak or cause rusting...

Cheers, Tori
Penelope Pitstop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 10:17 AM   #18
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Think it comes down to if you go cheap you get cheap! If you get a good warranty that covers everything, what is the problem?
Old 27-10-2005, 10:24 AM   #19
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

I love my sunroof in my BA GT, fresh air and sun on your face, the exhaust note...
The only thing I would point out is that they do eat into the headroom available. I am only 6 foot, but I wouldn't want to be much taller and have the sunroof. I saw how they are "fitted" at FPV, not very romantic if your love the turret on your car. Still the end result is great and covered by the factory warranty anyway.
Old 27-10-2005, 10:59 AM   #20
Leah
www.madel.com.au

Thanks for all your input guys & girls! Im leaning towards getting one, with a long warranty as geckoxr8 said. Ive always loved the look of them on the e-series (It will be going on the EL).

Now I just have to save some pennies! Anyone have any idea of rough prices? I was going to start ringing around but as always, being female I know I will probly get stooged! Thanks again for your input
Old 27-10-2005, 11:02 AM   #21
Leah
www.madel.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH7472
They are great. The XC has a factory one fitted. No leaks and no wind noise. The best part is going for a cruise over the black spur with it open ( for those in Melbourne you will know were im talking about) the site and smell of that freash country air, well you just carn't beat it. Go for it.

I havent been up that way for ages! I used to travel through there alot as a kid and always loved the country air. Now I live in the Dandenongs so I probly don't appreciate it as much as I should.
Old 27-10-2005, 12:39 PM   #22
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can get full electric ones, that slide into the roof, for around $1800-2300. Ute ones are around $1400, as they slide up and back, as they cant go into the roof, so thats why they arent as expensive.

I'd love to get one, but not at $2k. If I want some fresh air, i'll wind down my windows. They do look hot, but are fairly priced. I'd definately get it done, if i had a ute though.
Old 27-10-2005, 01:00 PM   #23
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A sunroof decreases the scructural integrity of the roof of a car. They are good for letting heat out of the car but once you own a car with a sunroof for a reasonable time you'll find the seals will deteriorate and leak. You'll hear the roof/sunroof creak when cruising a decent speeds (100/110kph).

I wouldnt' recommend one.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 01:10 PM   #24
-AL-
Knuckle Head

Hi Leah, I used to work for a company that fitted all sort of stuff including sunroofs a few years back. We used to get mixed feedback and the occasional leak issues. I'd be jumping in as many cars with them already fitted as you can and just make sure it's really what you want.
Personally I'd steer clear of after market but thats just my opinion.

p.s I know what you mean about taking the Dandenongs for granted, it is a beautiful place but I reckon we tend to always be in a rush to get somewhere else to notice it
-AL- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #25
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a "factory" fitted sunroof and its fine had no problems

Must admit when it gets really hot I tend to leave it closed as the a/c works best that way. However anything from say 18 - 30 its great.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 01:49 PM   #26
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i love sunroofs. IMO i would get one, they are defiantely a cool thing to have. The only thing i can think of that would be bad is if you are tall, as the roof lining will be 2-3 inches or so lower with an electric sunroof. If i had the money i'd have one put in ;)
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2005, 02:00 PM   #27
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Factory pressing? You mean the roof turret being pre punched?
Nah.... I think you'll find the Ford ones are fitted in the FPV building & they just cut the hole with electric shears? (which is same as after market)
Yes, I've seen the assembly process at Toyota for Camry. The metal mould that supports the sunroof is pressed into shape... the void for the sunroof is not cut out post assembly, as per the FPV method you describe.
Old 28-10-2005, 05:12 PM   #28
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

I have a sunroof in my ute and it is the greatest thing. I LOVEZZZ it.
It is full electric and pops up and out as suggested above.
It was fitted by prestige in burwood. I belive they fit alot of the so called factory fitted roofs at there shop.

Kev.....

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT