Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 31-12-2004, 01:57 PM   #1
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Default Well after 10 years of Ford ownership...

... I've jumped ship.

First Holden was purchased last week - Black VTII 5.7 Calais. Feels very strange owning a General.

Gotta say, best car I have owned yet. She flies, well compared to the EF XR6 she certainly does. And better fuel economy to boot.

Still have blue blood through my veins though.

But why? I wanted a powerful rear driver thats was relatively new, and well, AU's are just plain ugly, and the 5.0L just does'nt cut it.

I will be back. As soon as the 5.4's start dropping in price.
Old 31-12-2004, 02:01 PM   #2
RATT

Congrats on the purchase. We know you'll be back! ;)

Old 31-12-2004, 02:03 PM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFOracing
... I've jumped ship.

First Holden was purchased last week - Black VTII 5.7 Calais. Feels very strange owning a General.

Gotta say, best car I have owned yet. She flies, well compared to the EF XR6 she certainly does. And better fuel economy to boot.

But why? I wanted a powerful rear driver thats was relatively new, and well, AU's are just plain ugly, and the 5.0L just does'nt cut it.

O!!!
Hows the oil consumption on the VT? Those things used more oil than fuel. They had severe problems with piston slap.Everyone I knew with one sold it..engine rebuilds every time. Not trying to be smart just stating an observation.I think they revised the engine in the newer models.
Old 31-12-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
rodderz

Throw on a zorst to get a decent note, then put on a cai and get ls1edit on it, it'll be a quick car
Old 31-12-2004, 02:13 PM   #5
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
O!!!
Hows the oil consumption on the VT? Those things used more oil than fuel. They had severe problems with piston slap.Everyone I knew with one sold it..engine rebuilds every time. Not trying to be smart just stating an observation.I think they revised the engine in the newer models.
It was on;y 1 in 5 that had that problem and they have nearly all been rebuilt by now. This VT is over 5 years old, it will surely have been done or it woul dbe so completely rooted by now old mate would not have had the sense to by it.

FFO Racing: You have the same frame of mind I had, before I bought the Turbo I was going to get a VU SS ute simply because the 5.0 XR8 was gutless and ugly and the 5. was too dear and at the time had zero potential. I was so glad I didn't get a BOSS or SS, because the T is that much better. However, if the T never came to be, it would have been 5.7 over a 5.4 no doubt about it. All Ford V8s are useless (except the 5.6).
Old 31-12-2004, 02:22 PM   #6
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
O!!!
Yep, I had the same fears. But this motor is as sweet as. Serviced by the book at Holden since new. Its quiet, smooth and uses no oil to mention of. Its really a very nice motor. Well mine is anyway.
Old 31-12-2004, 02:27 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Yep, I had the same fears. But this motor is as sweet as. Serviced by the book at Holden since new. Its quiet, smooth and uses no oil to mention of. Its really a very nice motor. Well mine is anyway.

I am glad to hear that.Ihave a friend who let me take one home for a drive it went well. I still think the AU is a good looking car. :p
Old 31-12-2004, 02:28 PM   #8
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
FFO Racing: You have the same frame of mind I had, before I bought the Turbo I was going to get a VU SS ute simply because the 5.0 XR8 was gutless and ugly and the 5. was too dear and at the time had zero potential. I was so glad I didn't get a BOSS or SS, because the T is that much better. However, if the T never came to be, it would have been 5.7 over a 5.4 no doubt about it. All Ford V8s are useless (except the 5.6).
Yeah, would have loved a Turbo, but they are holding their value really well. To well. When I buy one, I'll certainly be looking for one that hasn't been modified. Interesting to see how they'll hold up over time. The motor should be fine, but its the drivline that concerns me. Ford have sh!t drivlines - they clunk and whine too much for my liking. Even when new.

I agree with your comments on Ford V8's... Ford still don't get it. Maybe one day? I do like the BOSS. Sounds great. But performance wise, Holden still have lead in that area.

Ford are much much better at producing good performing sixes.
Old 31-12-2004, 02:48 PM   #9
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Looking at the ferocious depreciation on these Holdens, you should have picked it up for a pretty good price! Budget for the usual bolt-ons and an Edit and you'll be happy for a while yet

Any pics yet?
Old 31-12-2004, 03:01 PM   #10
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle
Looking at the ferocious depreciation on these Holdens, you should have picked it up for a pretty good price! Budget for the usual bolt-ons and an Edit and you'll be happy for a while yet

Any pics yet?
Yeah, an Edit will be done once I research it a bit more. At present, the 5.7 is streets ahead performance wise to anything I have owned in the past. I rikey. I rikey arot.

It aint a bad handler either (for what it is). Although stock, it does have 17's

Just getting used to it with my self imposed compulsory weekly fix on the Old Road. Actually, I have fun in *ANY* car on the Old Road. Even the trusty XE tow car. I think I hold the record for the quickest stock XE Ghia up there
Old 31-12-2004, 03:03 PM   #11
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle
Looking at the ferocious depreciation on these Holdens, you should have picked it up for a pretty good price!
Any pics yet?

As I knew the previous owner, he paid $65k for it back in 2000. It has every available option on it. I picked it up for considerably less than 20k. They still ask $24k at the yards.
Old 31-12-2004, 03:09 PM   #12
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
All Ford V8s are useless (except the 5.6).
I don't know how you can say that, considering that 5.6 is simply a 5.0 Windsor (as used in EB - AUIII) with a 3.400" crankshaft and 5.400" connecting rods. The Windsor, from a modification standpoint, is one of the best, if not the best V8 engine there is. It'll slap a LS1 and 5.4 around if you're actually willing to modify the thing, and this is staying the stock 302 cubes....

Congrats on your purchase FFOracing... how long until the LS1 Edit come's along?
Old 31-12-2004, 03:15 PM   #13
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Steffo
I don't know how you can say that, considering that 5.6 is simply a 5.0 Windsor (as used in EB - AUIII) with a 3.400" crankshaft and 5.400" connecting rods. The Windsor, from a modification standpoint, is one of the best, if not the best V8 engine there is. It'll slap a LS1 and 5.4 around if you're actually willing to modify the thing, and this is staying the stock 302 cubes....

Congrats on your purchase FFOracing... how long until the LS1 Edit come's along?
I agree with Steffo here, The Ford windsor V8 is a sweat little donk.
Old 31-12-2004, 03:32 PM   #14
Barry_v
rocknrolla

people always rubbish the windsor, get used to it. equally we can rubbish the LS1 for its oil consumption
Old 31-12-2004, 03:43 PM   #15
Josho
Mini > *

But we still all know that Mini > Ford in the small car market both old and young mini's
Old 31-12-2004, 03:48 PM   #16
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo

The Windsors will always go down in history as being a fine V8 in its day. I think he ment the performance when compared to the equivalent Holden of its day. It did lag there. It was NOT a bad motor.

The Edit will come. As soon as I want more power, which will be ummm next week.
Old 31-12-2004, 03:57 PM   #17
clampy
Mr Extraordinary

nice buy mate... good cars the VTs.. only thing i still dont like is the doors feel flimsy.. i love the ford door feeling. big heavy things that when you shut em you know you aint goin anywhere...

other than that... gen3 powered chariots are nice fast metal for not that much green.
Old 31-12-2004, 04:18 PM   #18
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Yeah, an Edit will be done once I research it a bit more. At present, the 5.7 is streets ahead performance wise to anything I have owned in the past. I rikey. I rikey arot.

It aint a bad handler either (for what it is). Although stock, it does have 17's

Just getting used to it with my self imposed compulsory weekly fix on the Old Road. Actually, I have fun in *ANY* car on the Old Road. Even the trusty XE tow car. I think I hold the record for the quickest stock XE Ghia up there
Well I'll have to keep an eye out for you, and don't worry, the yellow thing in your rear view mirror won't be there for long

There are a few nice rims to pick from as well, I am rather partial to the WH Grange rims in the Holden / HSV range...
Old 31-12-2004, 04:33 PM   #19
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It'll slap a LS1 and 5.4 around if you're actually willing to modify the thing, and this is staying the stock 302 cubes....
Sorry but an LS1 is miles ahead of a Windsor...

There is a VU ute over here with a set of CNC ported std heads, different cam and an LS1edit tune (along with the usual exhaust, cold air intake) making 450+hp at the tyres. Std cubes, std bottom end, no blower, no nitrous. Try that with a Windsor or Clevo and they'll crap themselves.
Old 31-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #20
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Jeez, you'd want the LS1 to be miles ahead of the Windsor....it's how much newer?

Black VTs look bloody horn, and I hate to say it, but a Holden 5.0 or Gen III with an exhaust sounds sooooo damn nice.

How's the steering, especially at higher speeds? Mum's VT shits me, the steering feels so loose, especially over 120 odd, whereas the EB feels heaps better at higher speeds, even with shonky wheel allignment. Don't know if the extra weight of the 5.7 would change that much.
Old 31-12-2004, 06:31 PM   #21
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD357

There is a VU ute over here with a set of CNC ported std heads, different cam and an LS1edit tune (along with the usual exhaust, cold air intake) making 450+hp at the tyres. Std cubes, std bottom end, no blower, no nitrous. Try that with a Windsor or Clevo and they'll crap themselves.
have a read mate. considering the ls1 is 15% larger engine the windsor doesnt perform too bad.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=518936
Old 31-12-2004, 06:56 PM   #22
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Quote:

Have a look at that link Barry posted.

Quote:
How's the steering, especially at higher speeds? Mum's VT shits me, the steering feels so loose, especially over 120 odd, whereas the EB feels heaps better at higher speeds, even with shonky wheel allignment. Don't know if the extra weight of the 5.7 would change that much.
GenIII's weigh only a few kg's more than the Ecotec V6.
Old 31-12-2004, 06:58 PM   #23
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Yeah I posted then realised they are alloy. Stupid me.
Old 31-12-2004, 07:05 PM   #24
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Congrats on the purchase..
Old 31-12-2004, 07:28 PM   #25
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Congrats on the purchase, sounds nice! Got any pics?
Old 01-01-2005, 12:45 PM   #26
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
... I've jumped ship.

Exactly the same reason I bought a VTII SS a couple of years ago. Driving home last night after NYE festivities, passing City Ford in Chullora, I saw what appeared to be a nice Blue GT (well, it had a buldge and white stripes anyway). Might go have a squiz because it's nearing that time to upgrade.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:02 PM   #27
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:

Actually, I don't think that is correct.

A T Series which runs a stroked Windsor ( 5.7 ) and which is supposedly hand assembled, blueprinted etc etc yada yada ain't as quick as a stockie BA XR8 with the 5.4. I see the T series get spanked every week at Calder by BA XR8's with just CAI

As for calling it the best V8 engine there is ?????????????????? There might be a few owners of a Hi Tech quad cam multi valve FORD V8 that would beg to differ, BIG TIME.

Neighbour has a VT Clubbie with many mods and LS1 edit..............Woa MAMA. It's a weapon.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 02-01-2005, 11:16 AM   #28
YOOT
Banned

Quote:

Your point is out of context, I could say, no V8 is a match for my 500hp 2L WRX that I spent $50,000 to make it like that.

Its all relative.

99% of drivers don't even check their own oil, but they want to be able make their car go faster in the simplest of forms. Which means minor mods (bolt ons) or nothing at all. And since that represents the actual market for these cars, Ford V8s are uterly useless. None of them respond to a couple of thousand dollars worth of bolt ons. However, the LS1 and the XR6T... can you say 13 seconds
Old 02-01-2005, 11:44 AM   #29
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your point is out of context, I could say, no V8 is a match for my 500hp 2L WRX that I spent $50,000 to make it like that.

Its all relative.

99% of drivers don't even check their own oil, but they want to be able make their car go faster in the simplest of forms. Which means minor mods (bolt ons) or nothing at all. And since that represents the actual market for these cars, Ford V8s are uterly useless. None of them respond to a couple of thousand dollars worth of bolt ons. However, the LS1 and the XR6T... can you say 13 seconds
I know of a few T3's with a k&n filter, cai & complete exhaust are running consistent mid to high 13s.

Sure they are not as easy to get the power as a xr6t but they are still running the times.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:48 AM   #30
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
... I've jumped ship.

Congrats on the purchase, hope it's a good car for you.

I think a few people did jump ship for pretty much the same reasoning. Some Ford guys just couldn't cope with the AU looks and to get the performance you needed the AU3 XR8 220kw windsor just to stay with the Holden. Mind you, the 5.6L stroker is a good thing.

I have a mate who had a VT SS, an early Gen3 version and he was rapt with it. No problems at all with it but had to sell it after 2 years, family reasons. About 12 months ago he was "let off the leash" to buy himself another car and went for a BA XR6T. First Ford he has ever owned and hasn't looked back.

The tide has turned.
Closed Thread