Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-07-2005, 10:34 PM   #1
ULLOSE
Starter Motor

Default G-tech

anyone on here used one of these before and then ran the car on the dyno or down the strip too see how close they are

ULLOSE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 10:40 PM   #2
xrgran

ask blufoon or pursuit ute...they have one (each)
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 11:15 PM   #3
fatxagt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the old one and it was .1 sec out every time down the Adelaide Raceway.
fatxagt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 12:50 AM   #4
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

what are the gtech's worth?
Old 07-07-2005, 12:58 AM   #5
neb
hibernating

i also have an older one... and mine was .2 sec out when i dragged at calder
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 01:16 AM   #6
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoxr8
what are the gtech's worth?
$40 to $90 on ebay for the basic ones depending how savvy you are.

There are models with a graphical display usually about $250 on ebay not worth it inmho , but there is a version of these with a PC dump interface which could be tempting.

They aren't the same as a timeslip and buffons like me can use them without reaction times in the numbers, think of Gtech as a handy tuning tool.

Oh and you'll need a suitable strip of level non public road, not that easy to find. Gtechs are surprisingly acurate if the surface is dead levels, average a series of runs in both directions and you'll be pretty close.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 01:20 AM   #7
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Are the cheap ones worth it, what sort of features do they have?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:25 AM   #8
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Are the cheap ones worth it, what sort of features do they have?
As a tuning tool, well worth it,as a bragging tool, well people that shout too loud about GTech times may be bragging tools themselves.

$50 well worth it ,but remember its a $50 tool, its a good way of seeing which mods work for you and and by how much. ET , 0-100, mph all good info.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:28 AM   #9
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The cheap Gtech pro's available on ebay are a great unit IMO, they are cheap because they are obsolete now. The newer ones are more flashy and easier to setup but at 4x the price I would just stick with the basic units. As said, if you set them up correctly and use a flat piece of road they are damn accurate, more importantly they are consistant so show improvements of mods and tuning. Main features are 0-100kph and 1/4 mile times, and if you input the vehicle weight they will also give you a power reading. They also give acceleration ans breaking G-forces, and breaking distance.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 01:39 AM   #10
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

How complicated is the setup, can they be set as a temporary thing without too much fuss. I don't want something sitting on my dash all the time and I would prefer not having to make any permanent holes in anything.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:45 AM   #11
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

I wouldn't leave on on the dash/screen or you will get pulled over when plod thinks its a radar detector.

Suction cup on the screen, plug into the lighter, and tap some awkward buttons and your done.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:49 AM   #12
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are quite easy to set up, only takes 30secs to fit. They just stick to the windscreen with thier suction cap, the important thing is that they dead square to the windscreen, i find it easier to get someone standing in front of the car to guide me to when it is square. Then you turn it on when you want to do the run and it gives you a +/- verticle allignment on the screen, just rotate the unit up or down to get that to 0 and then it is all set. The newer versions have a 3-axis accelerometer which basically auto aligns.

Last edited by EDXR8; 07-07-2005 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:06 AM   #13
fatxagt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Suction cup on the screen, plug into the lighter, and tap some awkward buttons and your done.
They sure are awkward buttons for fat fingers! But still a great tool. If ya can get one for $50 go for it . I Bought mine 2nd hand a few years ago for alot more. Autobarn had them new then for $395.
fatxagt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #14
ULLOSE
Starter Motor

i work at autobarn in shepparton and recently used a diffterent brand of gtech off the shelf it was a beltronics vector gx2 now this one tells you your kw rating at the wheels quarter mile 250metre 100metre 0-20-40-60-80-100-120-140-160 times and does skid pans g forces body roll anything you can imgine and was just wondering how tue it was i just borrowed i off the shelf for a night and had a crack to see more kw rating and pulled 188rwkw with only primarys open no secondaries so was just curious to what they were like with accuracy this one is ment to be spot on
ULLOSE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 01:19 PM   #15
jaym
I Wish I Was A Post Whore

im looking at a g-tech on ebay. but they don't have postage on there, what are you guys paying for postage on em?

XR8 On 20s W00T W00T
www.aufalcon.com/jaysxr8
jaym is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 01:27 PM   #16
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they are only a small unit, they will fit in a 3kg postage satchet which is about $6 standard and $9 express, but some buyers try and rip you off with postage so its worth checking with thye buyer before bidding
Old 09-07-2005, 01:30 PM   #17
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULLOSE
i work at autobarn in shepparton and recently used a diffterent brand of gtech off the shelf it was a beltronics vector gx2 now this one tells you your kw rating at the wheels quarter mile 250metre 100metre 0-20-40-60-80-100-120-140-160 times and does skid pans g forces body roll anything you can imgine and was just wondering how tue it was i just borrowed i off the shelf for a night and had a crack to see more kw rating and pulled 188rwkw with only primarys open no secondaries so was just curious to what they were like with accuracy this one is ment to be spot on

Having trouble finding them online., anyone got a link
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 01:31 PM   #18
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Gtech will tell accurate 0-100 times for sure.However it told me on several occasions that I have 600 horsepower from an AU six.This is obviously wrong.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 08:43 PM   #19
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaym
im looking at a g-tech on ebay. but they don't have postage on there, what are you guys paying for postage on em?
Ask the seller how much he/she charges..

I paid $63 for my unit + $14.40 for postage. But a mate bought one off the same seller (about a month ago) for $79.00 and paid only $8.60 for postage.

My theory with this particular seller is that he didn't provide postage costs upfront because he was waiting for the Auction to end - see what the final price is then try to get a bit extra through postage cost.

Quote:
How complicated is the setup, can they be set as a temporary thing without too much fuss. I don't want something sitting on my dash all the time and I would prefer not having to make any permanent holes in anything
Simple. A suction cup and velcro between the unit and the holder.
CLICK HERE FOR SETUP PIC
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 09:06 PM   #20
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

We tried the latest model Gtech out with Firefox in his T3, & found it to be spot on.. the Gtech said he was doing 13.6 passes, & then later that week he went to WSID and did a dosen 13.6 passes. So I would say there very good...

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 02:09 AM   #21
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler
We tried the latest model Gtech out with Firefox in his T3, & found it to be spot on.. the Gtech said he was doing 13.6 passes, & then later that week he went to WSID and did a dosen 13.6 passes. So I would say there very good...
Bugger Steve - I was hoping they were way out. The wagon does 8.something seconds 0-100. I was hoping it was including slow down time to zero! LOL
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 04:07 AM   #22
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gtech puts my 0-100 time at 6.15, 1/4 mile at 15.5@97mph

video camera + computer puts my 0-100 at 6.10, timeslip puts my 1/4 at 14.8@95mph
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 08:30 PM   #23
nick81xd

it got my off ebay last week paid $34 and postage was $17. havent got it yet cause auction finished on friday should be here by wednesday
nick81xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 09:38 PM   #24
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

I really think It all depends on which one you get. There are dodgie ones & good ones..

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 09:42 PM   #25
XR8GRL