Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-06-2005, 09:58 PM   #1
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Not sure but possible scam?

Today at about 1500 got a call from an Indian who said he was connected to telstra and that my exchange has just been upgraded for adsl and would I like to connect to DODO broadband.
Now to cut a long story short they are doing the hard sell when they wanted my banking details..e.g BSB,Acct number and name of bank...the alarm bells went off,so I told them no way do they get my details,they got a bit upset and kept insisting it was the only way to get the deal.

End result I said a definite no and hung up.

I then rang telstra to confirm they had a call centre in India it was confirmed,however the person I spoke to said it was sus about the bank details,why did'nt they use my billing details and was'nt sure about telstra pushing DODO.

So hopefully it is now with telstra security am thinking of talking to the local boys in blue about it.

So all dialup users beware.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6

Last edited by MO; 09-06-2005 at 09:59 PM. Reason: typo
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 10:06 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I spoke to some Chinaman yesterday about some shit with my phone bill. I told him that I was not interested, and he started to tell me that I was stupid for not beintg interested! I promptly hung up.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 10:07 PM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldnt say possible id say guarenteed lol
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 11:11 PM   #4
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Iv had a few of then style calls at work over the last 2 weeks.
It seem is cheaper to hire a company in india to get them to ring australia and hussle us . and when i said NO all i get another phone call a few hrs later . i havent got the adsl 1 yet but a few times to change phone carriers.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:35 AM   #5
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

I to get shit loads of calls from people that barely have a grasp on the english language.
Depending on my mood and the time they call they can be quite fun to mess with if you're the witty type.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 08:47 AM   #6
MrFlibbles
ill have a beer milkshake

i get them at work all the time too, can be lots of fun messing with them, even if you cant understand a word they say!
1969 Isuzu Florian
1976 Chev luv (really its just a rebadged Isuzu!)
1980 Isuzu KB 4x4
MrFlibbles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 08:55 AM   #7
hambo_12

I had a call similar to that at work. A suspicous accent and baaaadddd line was enough to put me off.

The bloke was claiming that ALL telstra services were being upgraded, and he needed the companies details in order to upgrade our phone system.

He even put me through to a "supervisor" which I thought was a good touch!

I ended up just telling him to pi$$ off, and later that week, the newspaper had an article about the scam...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 09:33 AM   #8
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

At this stage the only LEGAL way for you to allow anyone to direct debit your account is via a form that needs to be completed.

Now even though some ISP allow you to sign up over the phone by quoting your BSB and Account number it is not a process endorsed by APCA (governing body) and if you wanted to be a pain, you could dispute all transactions upto 7 years

If anyone rings you and asks for details as such, refer them to my ****, describe it in detail, and that should deter them!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 09:48 AM   #9
Spaniard

Scams are one of the lowest forms of stealing. Thank God it hasn't happened to me yet.
Spaniard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 09:48 AM   #10
OLS108
LS1 owner

i had a call last week for an indian guy from a telco, and he tol me they were doing deals inmy local area, and i said " o h good what is my local area then ?" when he couldnt tell me , i said ring back when u know what ur talking out.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:10 AM   #11
james

yes it is a scam, they are trying to churn you from telstra to dodo or whoever they were. so next months phone bill comes from dodo and not telstra.

becarefull with this sort of stuff it can cost you $$$$
Old 10-06-2005, 10:13 AM   #12
hambo_12

Is there anything wrong with DODO, or are they just being used as an example??
Old 10-06-2005, 10:14 AM   #13
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

i feel sorry for the elderly who get caught with this sort of stuff all the time. thats where i get very angry indeed.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:20 AM   #14
james

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster

I then rang telstra to confirm they had a call centre in India it was confirmed,however the person I spoke to said it was sus about the bank details,why did'nt they use my billing details and was'nt sure about telstra pushing DODO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo_12

Is there anything wrong with DODO, or are they just being used as an example??
Nothing wrong with dodo as a network but they seem to be using indian call centres to pry business from other networks. Call Churning.

but I for one would not hand over any CC Details to a random call over the phone regardless of anything.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:47 AM   #15
Marlin_Girl
I wish I was a Pursuit...

ha i get those all the time! at work, at home!

the last one was in the morning and the guy goes "good afternoon mam!" and i was like "It's the morning HERE actually..." and he's like "really? it says 12:50pm!" and i'm just like "No." and he's like "Oh! Gee well it must be because i'm calling from MELBOURNE..." pfffft! Melbourne my a$$!! I just say that i'm not interested. Ive asked for the number to reach them on when the manager hasn't been in so he can call them back and they wont give it... so dodgy

pics of my ute HERE
Marlin_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 07:22 PM   #16
Steve
torque is your friend

We get so many calls from Indian call centres at work that we've now resorted to just putting them on hold for as long as they're prepared to stay there. It's funny how long some of them will wait for you to answer.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:27 PM   #17
Steve
torque is your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs casper
i feel sorry for the elderly who get caught with this sort of stuff all the time. thats where i get very angry indeed.
Gee that's terrible, just how many times has this poor couple been caught out? :
Old 10-06-2005, 09:55 PM   #18
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At about 1900 this evening .........guess who rang again...yep ...guess what they were told.
I had just sat down to eat my evening feed...jeeeez i hate that ...if its an OZ call I always ask for their number so I can call them at home just as they are starting to eat their meal.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 10-06-2005, 09:59 PM   #19
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs casper
Just one of the reasons I posted if I have saved just one person being scammed then I know its worth it.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 10-06-2005, 10:51 PM   #20
max^power
Formerly au^ute

my mate had one if these calls when i was over there drinking one evening, and he asked if i wanted to take the call. After a good few minutes of solid abuse (i had a bad day and a few beers hehehe), the indian woman on the other end of the phone was STILL asking if i wanted a "free demo" of something they were selling. they just never give up! i've been meaning to get one of those loud horn things to blow down the phone.... :
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 10:54 PM   #21
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au^ute
my mate had one if these calls when i was over there drinking one evening, and he asked if i wanted to take the call. After a good few minutes of solid abuse (i had a bad day and a few beers hehehe), the indian woman on the other end of the phone was STILL asking if i wanted a "free demo" of something they were selling. they just never give up! i've been meaning to get one of those loud horn things to blow down the phone.... :
lol its just like at Maccas when they ask if you want fries with that. One of my mates one day said back "If i wanted ****ing fries then i would of ****ing asked for fries lol"
Old 10-06-2005, 10:56 PM   #22
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There not fries here in OZ ...there CHIPS!!!

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 10-06-2005, 10:57 PM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There not fries here in OZ ...there CHIPS!!!
lol rodney rude haha. "Theyre not fries theyre ****ing chips."
Old 10-06-2005, 11:09 PM   #24
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

I had a similar call a few days ago at my parents place while I was watching a movie. I asked the Indian bloke if he could wait while I finished doing something to which he replied "yes". I then put the phone onto speakerphone and finished watching my movie. He was yelling out "Hello Hello Hello" for a few mins and then hung up.

I like trying different things with these people instead of getting shitty and swearing at them. I don't cringe when the caller ID says "OVERSEAS" anymore. I just think..."what should I do today"???
Old 10-06-2005, 11:55 PM   #25
xrgran

They must be doing the rounds. Had one recently, actually left a message on the phone. The message was this: Can I speak to graham, oops no sorry, no glenn, or is it graham, well whatever! I need to speak to someone. will you ring me back?

weird and rude but no call back number left, though they were indian and from telstra!
Old 11-06-2005, 10:04 PM   #26
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Just one of the reasons I posted if I have saved just one person being scammed then I know its worth it.
Good thinking mate, we all need to do whatever we can to help protect others from being scammed.

Now I know what one of the (extremely few) advantages there are to being on dial-up - all they'll get if they try calling us is an busy signal, hahahaha!

If anyone really wants/needs to contact us, they can call one of the mobile phones.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2005, 01:13 AM   #27
eb2flyz
bettering 13.7

i had one a while ago from an overseas number for optus, funny thing is i wasn't sure that optus had overseas tele centers so i rang them and queried about the call i had just received, my suspisions were correct optus only has aussie call centres.

had a few now saying that i have qualified for a free mobile phone and then after a heavy handed sales pitch try and sign me up on a plan which they reckoned would be better value than what i had already had - blah.

now all overseas numbers get from me is no not interested beep beep beep

FPV/Tickford Club of W.A

Performance is Electronic

BPT Motorsport
eb2flyz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2005, 01:42 AM   #28
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is strange today i got a fone call from westpac and the woman knew my name and said they needed my details cos of some mix up, funy thing is im not woth westpac and im with a credit co-op so a skammer, jst like those emails u get bout u have 2 update ur net banking
Sprint_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2005, 03:35 AM   #29
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

A while back an Indian was trying to get us to convert from Telstra to some other company. I asked him "Does it support low cost ISDN calls?" (We have ISDN here). He had no idea, went quite, then went on reading from his script infront of him. I cracked it and hung up in his ear, so he rang back! "Why did you hang up on me?". It was so funny..

Ive got to try some of these ideas mentioned here. ;)
EFPWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2005, 08:40 AM   #30
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Some really good idears on how to have some more fun with this calls. I all way use the saying "if it's to good to be true, it's proably is not". Just remember while you hold them on line you costing them money!