Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-03-2019, 09:09 AM   #1
Sioso
irregular member

Default The future of driving...

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...the-eu-117707/

Proposed rules become law in 2022 for speed limiters, black boxes and more

Speed limiters and black-box data recorders will be mandatory on every new vehicle sold in the European Union from 2022.

The European Commission yesterday approved the new rules, which were provisionally agreed on last month, after they were proposed late in 2018. The new rules need to be formally approved by the European Parliament and its 27 members states in September, though this is thought to be a formality.

Pitched as a bid to improve road safety and lower crash deaths across Europe, the rules should trickle down to every car-buying nation that shares the EU compliance regimes – including Australia.

All new models will be required to have the technology fitted by 2022, though models already on sale will have a grace period until 2024 to figure out how to retrofit all of the mandated devices.

The European Union insists the features are for saving lives, estimating it could save 25,000 lives in Europe alone within 25 years, or 1000 lives a year.

The headline act will be the intelligent speed limiters, plus technology to detect distracted, drunk or sleepy drivers and the data-recording black boxes, or event data recorders.

The speed limiters will use GPS data and traffic sign-recognition cameras and will both deliver advice to drivers on speed-limit changes and limit the speed of the vehicle in each zone.

Critically, the limiters can be overridden by the simple means of pushing down the accelerator pedal.

This makes it similar to intelligent speed-limit recognition systems already on sale in some Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Porsche, Bentley, BMW, Volkswagen, Jaguar Land Rover and Skoda vehicles.

Its introduction also makes a slight mockery of Volvo’s public-relations coup of imposing its own 180km/h speed limiters on its cars from next year.

“There have only been a handful of moments in the last 50 years which could be described as big leaps forward for road safety in Europe,” the European Transport Safety Council’s executive director, Antonio Avenoso, said.

“The mandatory introduction of the seatbelt was one, and the first EU minimum crash safety standards, agreed in 1998, was another. If this agreement is given the formal green light, it will represent another of those moments.”

Other rules being introduced in Europe include mandatory compatibility for alcohol interlock systems, designed to stop drink driving in its tracks on a continent with lax policing of drunken driving.

The new rules will also turn some safety technologies, currently sold as value-added safety features, into mandatory, across-the-board technologies.

Many of the technologies on the list are already encouraged as compulsory fitment for any carmaker chasing five Euro NCAP stars, including autonomous emergency braking.

There are fears from some carmakers, including Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and the Volkswagen Group, that the cost of the technologies could effectively spell the end of the smallest A-segment cars, like the Fiat Panda and the Volkswagen Up.

The full list of the new mandatory technologies includes:

• Intelligent speed limiters
• Data-recording black boxes
• Advanced autonomous emergency braking
• Lane departure warning systems
• Alcohol Interlock facilitation
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The future of driving...

So using GPS it wouldn’t detect if the wheels are spinning at high speed but the vehicle is stationary or moving in small circular patterns?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Policing of regulations is largely up to member countries. Look at the mania for straight-piping diesels in the UK or the prevalence of DPF delete practices. Also to mention sophisticated piggyback boxes or people who will reflash an ECU (even if they later restore the OEM file for an inspection).

The monitoring of operator data will run into significant obstacles with the strong EU privacy laws and their enshrined right of people to access “personal” information and seek amendments. No such protection exists here. :(

I have to wonder if the billions invested, wouldn’t be better spent on attempting to build on positive social conduct - including respectful driving.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Was only a matter of time. Where will lost speeding revenue come from?

Will insurance(s) drop I wonder?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #5
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

When everyone goes autonomous, can you imagine what the insurance cost will be for those who want to drive themselves?! And insurance would become redundant given no one will be having accidents (when they get it right).

Lot of insurance companies are investing into how they stay viable moving into the future
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

More like insurance(s) would increase for those who own vehicles that don’t have these devices implemented.

Or if you want to get all Black Mirror; automatic GPS-evidenced fines sent out if you’re accelerating out of a town (60-100 just prior to the 100 sign) or overtaking a B-Double (momentary 115 in a 100 zone)...

Many worksites have these retrofitted to their work vehicles and the technology has been around for years. You have to badge on or insert a dongle or code to start the vehicle, and that way all of your driving habits are recorded until you stop the engine. One time I was doing 50 in a 60 zone and braked hard to avoid hitting a roo that came out of nowhere. The in-vehicle alarm went off and the event was recorded against my employee ID as “excessive braking”.

Last edited by mcflux; 28-03-2019 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling...
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #7
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
When everyone goes autonomous, can you imagine what the insurance cost will be for those who want to drive themselves?! And insurance would become redundant given no one will be having accidents (when they get it right).

Lot of insurance companies are investing into how they stay viable moving into the future
I doubt it’ll ever be redundant.

There will still be hail storms, vandalism, fires and other acts which could damage a car. Plus I doubt road accidents will ever be zero, automated machinery still make mistakes, and probably always will.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2019, 05:26 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I don't call this actual "driving" anymore.
life is going to get super boring.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #9
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I doubt it’ll ever be redundant.

There will still be hail storms, vandalism, fires and other acts which could damage a car. Plus I doubt road accidents will ever be zero, automated machinery still make mistakes, and probably always will.
Sure. But I'd suggest that traffic collisions make up the bulk of automotive claims and set the premiums on perceived risk to be involved in a collision...

Whether we think it will or won't happen, the insurance companies are working on strategies for this possible eventuality.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2019, 09:51 PM   #10
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflux View Post
Many worksites have these retrofitted to their work vehicles and the technology has been around for years. You have to badge on or insert a dongle or code to start the vehicle, and that way all of your driving habits are recorded until you stop the engine. One time I was doing 50 in a 60 zone and braked hard to avoid hitting a roo that came out of nowhere. The in-vehicle alarm went off and the event was recorded against my employee ID as “excessive braking”.
We have something similar in our work cars. You brake hard at night time, usually for a roo, and while negotiating the situation this stupid thing beeps and lights up in your face. Safety first! We know braking hard to avoid incidents is such a horrible thing to do and the best way to make it safer is to shine light in the drivers face while making a warning sound.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2019, 10:04 PM   #11
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

The future looks bleak.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2019, 10:22 PM   #12
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
The future looks bleak.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2019, 11:27 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

No big deal, give it 6 months until the ECU is cracked and you can just turn it off
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2019, 11:30 PM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Or spoof it. I think there might be lots of people apparently doing blockies when the truth is nothing close.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #15
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
No big deal, give it 6 months until the ECU is cracked and you can just turn it off
That’s the easy part, we’ve bypassed the work vehicles speed limiter easily.

The issue is GPS tracking and monitoring. How do you fool a GPS system to show a slower speed? And surely scrambling the signal will result in some kind of warning being given to the driver.
Old 29-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #16
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

just pull the gps fuse. you might lose your navigation, but that's what a Garmin is for.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #17
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
just pull the gps fuse. you might lose your navigation, but that's what a Garmin is for.
Which likely sends alarm bells to any nearby police officer, similar to plate recognition does for an unregistered vehicle.
Old 29-03-2019, 10:43 AM   #18
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Anybody who legislates and/or enforces compulsory gps systems in privately owned vehicles should politely remove themselves from society, or society may remove them first.

This is how wars start.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #19
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Anybody who legislates and/or enforces compulsory gps systems in privately owned vehicles should politely remove themselves from society, or society may remove them first.

This is how wars start.
Anyone with a smartphone in their pocket basically GIVES away GPS location details willingly, forget about it being compulsory.
3 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #20
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Anyone with a smartphone in their pocket basically GIVES away GPS location details willingly, forget about it being compulsory.
Phones can be easily blocked and are not copulsory to carry when you drive your motorcar.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #21
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

You are already tracked by Google Maps.
Wonder why Google traffic reports are so accurate .... it's cause they know where you are and how fast/slow you are travelling .... along with the other 20 million off people in Australia.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #22
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

What if you put the GPS unit in a Faraday cage? Good luck transmitting then little friend.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2019, 04:41 PM   #23
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the most important feature would be black boxes and video cameras to record all the accidents.

If someone you knows dies in a car accident you would like to know the actions of the driver or car?
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #24
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post

This is how wars start.
Lol you are already being tracked by using technology.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #25
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
Lol you are already being tracked by using technology.
So are you kmav.. Elon has the Gulags waiting
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2019, 07:21 PM   #26
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's 'Demolition Man' from 1993, accurately predicting ipads, Skype and Google's driverless car in a controlled world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlpPR_GgwEc

Here's the antidote: the Olds 442:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teFXjTSQGDQ
Old 30-03-2019, 05:22 AM   #27
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good enough for trucks, good enough for cars
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #28
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my truck for the last few years we have GPS monitoring set up with the geo fences coming in to and exiting towns any speed over 5km above the posted speed sends an overspeed to a person who monitors it all harsh braking etc , also sensors either side of driver on the dash that watch the pupils of your eyes if your eyes close for than 2 secs I think it is an alarm sounds and the drivers seat shakes ....set up to a camera that when this happens records the last 20 secs so they can see what's happening the recording spouse to go to some place in USA which then ring your supervisor and say your drivers falling asleep

It's all about conditioning us to being constantly monitored so there's someone to blame when the s##t hits the fan , and conditioning us for slowly introducing driver less vehicles

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #29
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzman View Post
In my truck for the last few years we have GPS monitoring set up with the geo fences coming in to and exiting towns any speed over 5km above the posted speed sends an overspeed to a person who monitors it all harsh braking etc , also sensors either side of driver on the dash that watch the pupils of your eyes if your eyes close for than 2 secs I think it is an alarm sounds and the drivers seat shakes ....set up to a camera that when this happens records the last 20 secs so they can see what's happening the recording spouse to go to some place in USA which then ring your supervisor and say your drivers falling asleep

It's all about conditioning us to being constantly monitored so there's someone to blame when the s##t hits the fan , and conditioning us for slowly introducing driver less vehicles
And in the truck you drive, what happens when the GPS signal is lost, or it’s found you tampered with the GPS using scramblers, faraday cages etc?
Old 30-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #30
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No ňnes really gone to that extreme yet.... just pulling sun visor down to cover the camera , tape over the lense , wiring alterations etc . The GPS and over speeds you get used to its the one's behind you that aren't expecting you to slow down before you hit the 50km sign .........paid by the hour so you just roll with it

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post