Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-01-2018, 04:46 PM   #1
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default Video: Dual 1JZ V12 Engine Project Finally Comes To Life!

I have followed this for a while now. I have always wanted to turn a 6 cylinder into a V-12. This is one fella who has done it using an engine I have always liked.

In the vid you will only see it idle, but that is a significant milestone on the project. It sounds good.

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/video...-comes-to-life

As a fan of EngineLabs, you’re probably at least somewhat familiar with Don Groff’s wild homebuilt V12 project. As we explained in our first article three years ago, this project involves the cutting, welding, stress-relieving, and align-boring of a pair of 1JZ inline six-cylinder engine blocks into a single 120-degree V12 engine block.

In the second update to the project, a little over two years ago, Groff changed gears from a quad-turbo setup, to dual Garrett units, and got the exhaust manifold setup fleshed out. No small feat, with a final product that resembles the automotive version of Medusa’s hair.

Then, two months ago, there was another update, in which all of the engine’s machine work and assembly had been finished up, and Groff had wrapped up the custom chassis. As to be expected when dropping in a completely custom engine into a completely custom chassis, there were a few hiccups, leaks, and misalignments, but Groff worked through them.

Now, we are insanely excited to be able to bring you the video above, with the wild V12 dual 1JZ engine taking its first breath of life. “This is the first-time-ever start-up and is another major hurdle accomplished, thanks to the boys at Nth Moto,” Groff says. “I could not have done it without their help. They make it look easy, even if we did have a few issues to resolve.”

As if tuning a custom-made dual 1JZ V12 engine with a pair of turbochargers wasn’t enough of a challenge, Groff added a twist by choosing ethanol to power the project. Controlled by an AEM Infinity ECU that has been wired and tuned by the team at Nth Moto – who specialize in exotic performance cars – and force-fed by a pair of Garrett GTX-series turbochargers which each have their own air-to-air intercooler, Groff’s creation purrs like a kitten.

While it’s only an idle video, the fact is this: not only is the engine is running under its own power, but it’s doing so smoothly and with a gorgeous exhaust note. While we are practically salivating in anticipation of a dyno video of this homebuilt masterpiece, this video is proof of life, and we know that the final stages of development and tuning of the engine is near at hand. After all, Groff left us with the words we’ve uttered ourselves what feels like a million times: “Now if it only was 65 degrees and sunny outside…”
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2018, 04:50 PM   #2
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default Re: Video: Dual 1JZ V12 Engine Project Finally Comes To Life!

Links to some past articles:

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/quad-...supra-engines/

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/updat...humming-along/

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/don-g...-roar-to-life/
This user likes this post:
Old 01-01-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is saying that there is nothing like a V8, have to agree as anything more is rarely seen or heard, when we hear a V10 or V12 in any form it is awesome noise
Old 01-01-2018, 07:16 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Most v12’s have a v angle of around 60 degrees. Why did they choose 120? Seems excessively wide. Or was it a case of 120 being the only way to get the 2 engines to join together?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2018, 08:22 PM   #5
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I don't really know. The answer may have been in one of the earlier articles. I forgot.

I believe one of the Ferarri v-12s was a 120. Maybe he is a fan of the prancing horse?
Old 01-01-2018, 08:30 PM   #6
justbrett

Someone needs to do this with a couple of barras
Daily: '08 FPV F6X Territory, #82

Project 1: XA Sedan, Barra swap incoming
justbrett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #7
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Doesn't sound much different from a 1JZ with no exhaust at idle
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #8
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bit more in this than those guys shoving two ls3s end to end, that's for sure.
It will be a nervous day when they give it the beans I imagine.

Any idea how the crank was made sg?

Still nothing can beat the sound of a GM 12v.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2018, 01:18 PM   #9
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Doesn't sound much different from a 1JZ with no exhaust at idle
Still sounds good to me. I'm sure under load on the dyno, it will sound better.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #10
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
A bit more in this than those guys shoving two ls3s end to end, that's for sure.
It will be a nervous day when they give it the beans I imagine.

Any idea how the crank was made sg?

Still nothing can beat the sound of a GM 12v.
I can imagine. It will be a nervous day. He has been taking methodical steps. At some point we will find out.

I would have to go back through the older articles on the crank. I don't recall off the top of my head. I it was me, I would go to somebody like Crower, Winberg or Bryant. One of those guys.

Those Rolls Royce V12s sound pretty nice too...