Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-06-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default The problem with Holden sales

Quote:
Hyundai i30 Oz's top selling car

Hyundai beats Holden – again – while ute sales and luxury cars strengthen in buoyant May.

Sam Charlwood
3 June, 2016

Hyundai has stormed to the top of the Aussie car charts yet again, with the i30 hatchback outselling rivals for the third consecutive month in May.

Preliminary industry figures obtained by Drive reveal the small car bested both the Toyota Corolla and Mazda3 to be the top selling car in the land in May, underlining another buoyant trading period for the industry. The i30's result reflects an aggressive $19,990 driveaway price from the South Korean manufacturer that falls well under the regular $20,990 plus on-road costs RRP.

The result leveraged third-placed Hyundai further ahead of languishing Holden, which sits in fourth spot overall year-to-date. Toyota and Mazda have streaked ahead at the top of the charts after both enjoying strong sales in May.

Holden sales were down 8 per cent for the month of May, contributing to a 6.9 per cent nosedive year-to-date. Volkswagen was the only other marque within the top 10 brands to suffer a loss for the month as the fallout from the emissions cheating scandal continues.

Worryingly for Holden, it is continually losing ground to fifth-placed Ford, reflecting the uptake in the blue oval's imported models as it prepares to shutter its local manufacturing operations in October. Almost half of Holden's May sales were vehicles produced in Australia, at 48 per cent; Ford's result comprised 21 per cent locally produced cars by comparison.

Conversely, Kia snuck into the top 10 for May after a 24 per cent jump in sales. Sales year-to-date are up 26 per cent for the South Korean brand.

The tussle at the top underlined another strong month for the industry, which is 3.8 per cent higher year-to-date than last year's record stretch. The industry finished 3.6 per cent higher than May of 2015.

Key to the renewed market was consolidated utility and trade sales, which will again be a factor in June's end-of-financial-year blitz. The Toyota HiLux was the second-best selling vehicle for May, featuring alongside the Ford Ranger, Mitsubishi Triton and Nissan Navara within the top 10.

At the other end of the market Mercedes-Benz streaked further ahead of BMW and Audi in the luxury segment. The three-pointed star is 25 per cent up year-to-date on 2015, sitting 10th overall in the market. Audi and BMW are also up on last year's posts.

The result comes as the industry gears up for the biggest month of the year in June. Keep an eye out for Drive's EOFY trade buyer's guide next week.

Top 10 makes – May

Toyota – 17,201 (+8 per cent)

Mazda - 9608 (+10.2 per cent)

Hyundai - 9005 (+8.9 per cent)

Holden - 7405 (-6.9 per cent)

Ford - 6584 (+9.8 per cent)

Mitsubishi – 6154 (+0.9 per cent)

Nissan - 5585 (+25 per cent)

Volkswagen – 4565 (-17.5 per cent)

Suburu – 4002 (+6.0 per cent)

Kia – 3542 (+26 per cent)

Top 10 models - May

Hyundai i30 – 3771

Toyota HiLux – 3675

Toyota Corolla – 3333

Mazda3 - 3243

Ford Ranger – 3115

Holden Commodore – 2255

Mazda CX-5 - 2117

Mitsubishi Triton – 2021

Volkswagen Golf – 1840

Nissan Navara - 1752

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/h...03-gpapfm.html
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: The problem with Holden sales

Waiting for HSV in Clayton to start doing up Hyundais when Holden closes down. Then they can still retain the H in HSV: Hyundai Special Vehicles
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Waiting for HSV in Clayton to start doing up Hyundais when Holden closes down. Then they can still retain the H in HSV: Hyundai Special Vehicles
They already exist..http://www.hmm.mn/assets/files/SPVCatalogue-English.pdf
Also : flame proof suit on : In May I bought a Hyundai Accent ,auto, $14,990 drive away, for my daughter..and me flame ,suit on I bought a MY 16 Feb Captiva LTZ auto, 2.2 diesel for $36,990 drive away.with 3 years free servicing. Not a demo...Ok, tell me all the "Craptiva" problems, I am still waiting for the problems with my i20, that I was told would happen, by FF members. !!!! In 3 weeks driven 1,500kms, average 9.1l/100kms. Holden claim 8.5l/100kms..Impressive!!..No rattles , nothing has failed.
The heated seats are great, especially on my back after work. Apple Car Play took some getting used too..for a diesel its very quiet. It is very good value for money. Thats right after all these years with Ford, I bought a Holden !!!
Ok : let me have it!!!!

Last edited by csv8; 03-06-2016 at 05:46 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #4
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Also : flame proof suit on : In May I bought a Hyundai Accent ,auto, $14,990 drive away, for my daughter..and me flame ,suit on I bought a MY 16 Feb Captiva LTZ auto, 2.2 diesel for $36,990 drive away.with 3 years free servicing. Not a demo...Ok, tell me all the "Craptiva" problems, I am still waiting for the problems with my i20, that I was told would happen, by FF members. !!!! In 3 weeks driven 1,500kms, average 9.1l/100kms. Holden claim 8.5l/100kms..Impressive!!..No rattles , nothing has failed.
The heated seats are great, especially on my back after work. Apple Car Play took some getting used too..for a diesel its very quiet. It is very good value for money. Thats right after all these years with Ford, I bought a Holden !!!
Can't say I'm surprised.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #5
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Each to their own. Not every owner experiences the same issues as another. Well done if you have a goodie. Similarly my missus's Cruze is serving us well. Doesn't mean every other variant does the same though.

They're a whole lot of car for cheap, can't expect 100% satisfaction rates.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They don't call tham Craptiva for nothing ,these are probably towards the bottom of the list in their category. People still buy them because they are good value for money (cheap). Still if you are enjoying it , thats all that matters.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #7
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Captiva and an Accent sitting beside each other on your driveway? Dude, I think you're on the wrong forum...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #8
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Ford are doing okay at the moment, but I don't think they're in a much better position than Holden (as the quote may suggest). They're probably a little too exposed to Ranger sales, given that basically 1 in 2 Fords sold is a Ranger. If that segment cools off or gets more crowded, they're in trouble. Then there's the fact that while Holden are replacing Commodore and Cruze with imported variants (Cruze sales should be unaffected and the German Commodore is surprisingly shaping up to be quite decent, particularly a rumoured 300kw AWD SS range), Ford are replacing their local volume with nothing. So even if the new Commodore tanks 50% of its volume, they still may not be any worse off than Ford. Holden really just need a competitive ute.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #9
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
A Captiva and an Accent sitting beside each other on your driveway? Dude, I think you're on the wrong forum...
Totally agree...Cheers Rod
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-06-2016, 09:29 AM   #10
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
Don't forget the i20!!! I still have a fondness for FORD but FORD Aus have lost the plot. If it wasnt for Ranger where would they be????
Old 04-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #11
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't forget the i20!!! I still have a fondness for FORD but FORD Aus have lost the plot. If it wasnt for Ranger where would they be????
Let's be honest, you bought on price...which is perfectly fair, but you cannot say Ford Aust has lost the plot if you expect them to price match what you paid and still expect them to stay viable in Aust.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #12
Carrion

Lightbulb Re: The problem with Holden sales

Quote:
Cool.

Now I know where I can get my next water cannon truck from.

Yeah Baby

Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #13
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Ok then.

Every time I see a new captiva go past me I think to myself "they must be a tight a##".
They sell because they are the cheapest,not because they are any good.
Soccer moms who want an suv but can't afford anything decent would be the target demographic I'd imagine.

Nothings broken in 1500k's on a brand new car and you're impressed lol?
Come back in 2 years and let us know how the experience is going.
I've never spoken to a long term owner and heard anything good back from them.

I put an engine in a diesel one at 115k's last year,I drove it for a couple of weeks afterwards and was not even slightly impressed.
My old TD5 Discovery was a nicer car to drive and given it had 300 000k's on it at the time it was more reliable lol.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #14
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

I can't understand people that play tight on prices when they are already investing so much on a new car. If you can afford $36990 on a new car, what's another $5000 or $10000? I would never buy a car on price only. That's a lot of money to spend only to be stuck with something that you didn't really want.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #15
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Ford are doing okay at the moment, but I don't think they're in a much better position than Holden (as the quote may suggest). They're probably a little too exposed to Ranger sales, given that basically 1 in 2 Fords sold is a Ranger. If that segment cools off or gets more crowded, they're in trouble. Then there's the fact that while Holden are replacing Commodore and Cruze with imported variants (Cruze sales should be unaffected and the German Commodore is surprisingly shaping up to be quite decent, particularly a rumoured 300kw AWD SS range), Ford are replacing their local volume with nothing. So even if the new Commodore tanks 50% of its volume, they still may not be any worse off than Ford. Holden really just need a competitive ute.
The problem with the Commodore is its mainly propped up by its performance variants. If the replacement doesn't have a RWD V8 then it could fail badly. There is nothing to suggest that the dual cab segment will drop off in the short term.

As unpopular as Ford is on this forum you have to give them credit for moving with the trends. Referring to Territory, Ranger and Everest. Holden has always put its eggs in one basket. Can it hang on is the question.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #16
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

When a twin turbo AWD V6 model comes out that spanks the SS. V8 RWD will just be forgotten.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #17
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
When a twin turbo AWD V6 model comes out that spanks the SS. V8 RWD will just be forgotten.
Yeah that's ok....but what about the run of the mill base model that's FWD? To me, that's not a Commodore.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #18
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
There’s really no need to let you have it as you say, as you’ve punished yourself
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #19
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
The dyed in the wool V8 guys probably wont care for it no matter how good it is.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #20
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I dont drive FWD cars. They are for my MUM

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #21
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What does the subject topic name have to do with the topic??? Can the topic name be changed to what the topic actually is? I.E. New Car sales for May!!

Another good job by Ford, I think we might have seen the bottom (at last) for Ford.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #22
XWGT