Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Warning when doing a REVS or PPRS Search

When doing a PPRS check ,make sure it is the genuine Government site here: https://www.ppsr.gov.au/start-your-q...vehicle-search not the numerous and much more expensive Veda operated sites posing as the Government site with similar names you'll find with first a Google search on "REVS" or PPRS" (e.g. http://www.ppsr.com.au/revs-check?gc...FYGavAoduGMFLg and http://www.ppsr.com.au/?gclid=CM2Yv4...FVMAvAodjnkFcw and http://www.revs.com.au/?gclid=CPmkxZ...FVgmvQodwn0NkA) Although there is no Government Coat of Arms on these sites, the only place you'll actually find Veda mentioned is in the fine print in the "Terms and Conditions" that appear at the foot of the page and you won't know about them until a sometimes reoccurring Veda "subscription" charge pops up on your credit card. I am usually very cautious and aware of such things and I still got caught. But Amex reversed the charges when I questioned what they were for.
Old 24-02-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Warning when doing a REVS or PPRS Search

And you can see why Veda are one star rated http://www.productreview.com.au/p/veda-advantage.html
Old 24-02-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got caught out last year, trap for young players.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
something wrong
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good tip thanks

I am about to used it for buying a new (2nd) Boat.
something wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #5
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Damnit I used the revs.com.au site recently.
I feel quite silly, didn't even think about it.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2016, 03:34 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

And more importantly Veda reports don't come with the same Government warranty regarding ownerships and encumbrances as provided by the Government site albeit they are copied from the Government site.
Old 24-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Veda are so notorious with credit card companies that simply questioning a charge from them will get an immediate refund. Watch also you don't get subsequent unauthorized (well it was apparently in the very fine print somewhere) annual or monthly subscription charge from them.
Old 25-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #8
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes,it's very misleading.When you google PPSR search the VEDA site is the first one that comes up and it's very easy to think it's the official PPSR website if you don't read it carefully.
Old 25-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #9
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Not to mention that the government PPSR search costs only about $3.50 and the others charge $30 or so?
Refer also, for the start page:
https://www.ppsr.gov.au/
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2016, 11:09 PM   #10
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have also paid the $25-30 odd for the REVS check years ago when they first started charging.

Recently found the $3.50 option. Most people I mention it to have used the 'REVS' checks as well and didn't know about PPSR. Bit of a scam.

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 09:26 AM   #11
malazn mafia
Boss 335

How do we eliminate Veda once and for all ?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #12
falcon_bandit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs View Post
When you google PPSR search the VEDA site is the first one that comes up
first one that comes up is the actual site

you might be talking about the paid ads, which i never rely on

falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
first one that comes up is the actual site
No; that first one is not the right site. The second one is (note no "gov" in the web address of the 1st one). It may even look like the official site with the blue tick at the top like the official site, but go the terms and conditions at the foot of the opening page and its Veda. See how easy it is to get sucked in?
Old 26-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #14
falcon_bandit
Banned

Again, that is the paid advertisements.

Have a look below where the actual results from the search start. But yes i can understand how alot of people get fooled into clicking into the wrong site for alot of things. My wife has been using the internet for years, but still has no idea what she's doing
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2016, 12:28 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
When you find out, let me know.

I lost out on a house auction when Veda had the wrong info on my file. They had me down with having a bad debt and my finance wasn't approved till the error was cleared.

Calling Veda was a joke "We don't make mistakes".. The only way to clear my name was to buy my report from them.

Guess what - it WAS their mistake.... and I lost out on a house I could have got at auction.

Then the person told me they don't issue refunds on reports - even though the report was used to clear my name of THEIR mistake... they just didn't see the logic in it till I took it further

A year later I had more money debited from my CC for another report I didn't ask for. That took a while to refund as well but got it eventually.

They are a shameful bunch of mongrels IMO...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 01:51 PM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Again, that is the paid advertisements.
Interestingly that yellow Ad box does not always appear to the left when I do a Google search on PPSR; I wonder how they organized that? It comes and goes at random; I'll have to investigate my IE11, Google and Norton Settings.
Old 26-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #17
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Don't know I contacted Consumer Affairs/Commerce in WA and while they said they would get back to me, part of the title of their email reply being "Competitive Sites" probably tells me what their ultimate response will be.
Old 26-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #18
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

wow, what a scam. Thanks for the heads up.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #19
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Seems Google is stilling running it out (the yellow Ad boxes) and testing so they still come and go occasionally.
https://www.seroundtable.com/google-...med-21668.html But perhaps I have some other issues; Like many I have this unresolved issue with Spybot http://elingnotah.appspot.com/forums...sn-t-End/page4 and have reverted to using Lavasoft's Ad-Aware with reluctance since it has been acquired by the "Dark Side" :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavasoft
Quote:
The company [Lavasoft] was acquired in January 2011 by the Solaria Fund, a private equity fund.[3] It was soon discovered that the fund was actually a front for the entrepreneurs (Daniel Assouline and Michael Dadoun) behind UpClick and Interactive Brands.[4] SC Magazine discovered that Lavasoft had been acquired by the same entrepreneurs who have been accused of selling software that is available for free (such as the free version of AVG antivirus) to unwitting users under the guise of premium support.[5] Assouline and Dadoun used to sell the free version of Lavasoft's security program prior to acquiring the company itself. This has been well-documented by security consultants such as Dancho Danchev.[
Sounds like Veda and the new owners of Lavasoft might get along.

Last edited by aussiblue; 26-02-2016 at 02:35 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #20
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I am going to ditch Ad-Aware as it finds much less spyware than Nortons and no spyware that Nortons doesn't find. Usually it just finds the relatively harmless stuff I get as a result of using Excite mail - something I am also slowly ditching. My issues on this PC started when I let my son use it and he made the mistake of thinking he had created a problem and then installed the scamware Spyhunter 4 (see https://malwaretips.com/threads/spyh...e.26301/page-2 and http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...ter-what-i-do/) to fix it. Can't blame him; I think we have all been down that path - I fell the traps some years ago too. However, although I had a Ghost copy to recover my PC to the pre Spyhunter status (I refused to pay Enigma Software ransom price), odd problems have been happening since. Google in particular was playing up from time to time not allowing me to edit search text, jumping to the end of the page and not allowing me to edit its settings but it has been OK for the last two weeks or so expect for those missing yellow Ad boxes..

Last edited by aussiblue; 26-02-2016 at 03:29 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2016, 09:27 PM   #21
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I noticed this quite a while back actually. If I recall correctly you were able to do a REVS check (when they were the actual registar) but had to pay for the certificate to be protected. I did one for at least my TX5 and maybe my WRX but I don't remember to be honest.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #22
Jacko*
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So is a PPRS check the same as a revs check? Does it give all the same info? I have only used REVS checks in the past when buying used cars, $30 seemed a small price to pay for peace of mind but if it really only costs $3.50 what a rip off.
Old 26-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #23
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
So is a PPRS check the same as a revs check? Does it give all the same info? I have only used REVS checks in the past when buying used cars, $30 seemed a small price to pay for peace of mind but if it really only costs $3.50 what a rip off.
Yes; REVs was what many states ran (e.g. WA had a REVS system) before it was replaced on January 2012 by the National Government PPSR system. Veda and others have created sites with similar sounding names to attract those that don't know about the change and search for REVS etc (e.g. http://www.revs.com.au/ and http://revschecker.com.au/) It's only if you read the terms and conditions or notice the lack of the Government Coat of arms that you'll realise its a more expensive non Government services that gets the info from the Government PPRS and then charges you a considerable margin. They try and con you into thinking it's the Government site by referring to things like "Official Australian Government Revs Check" and using a blue tick logo similar to the PPSR Government web site.

PPRS also gives you data such as insurance claim history and write off history of vehicles from the National Exchange of Vehicle and Driver Information System (NEVDIS) administered by Austroads (the association of Australasian road transport and traffic agencies). See http://www.austroads.com.au/drivers-vehicles/nevdis

Last edited by aussiblue; 26-02-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 26-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #24
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

And you get these assurances and protection on the real Government web site while the scam sites are full of disclaimers.

https://www.ppsr.gov.au/searching-and-buyer-protections

Quote:
Buyer protections for serial number searches

The Personal Property Securities Act 2009 (Cth) (PPS Act) provides protections for buyers. Buyers and lessees will generally take personal property free of any security interests if the property is of a kind that must or may be described by a serial number, and the buyer searches the PPSR immediately before the time of sale or lease using the serial number only, and the security interest is not disclosed.

Motor vehicle buyer protections

If the collateral is a motor vehicle, section 45 of the PPS Act provides that a buyer or lessee will generally take the motor vehicle free of any security interest if:
•at any time between the time the motor vehicle was sold or leased and the start of the previous day a search of the PPSR by reference only to the serial number would not have disclosed a registration which perfected the interest; and
•the seller or lessor is either the person who granted the security interest, or another person who is in possession of the vehicle (provided the person who granted the security interest has lost the right to possess the motor vehicle or is stopped from asserting an interest in the vehicle).

Exceptions to motor vehicle buyer protections

The above protection does not apply if:
•the secured party is in possession of the motor vehicle immediately before the time of the sale or lease; or
•the motor vehicle is bought at a sale held by or on behalf of an execution creditor; or
•the buyer or lessee holds the motor vehicle as inventory; or on behalf of a person who would hold the motor vehicle as inventory; or
•the buyer or lessee buys or leases the motor vehicle with actual or constructive knowledge of the security interest.

Exceptions for motor vehicle licensed dealers

Section 45(3) of the PPS Act provides that a buyer or lessee will generally take the motor vehicle free of any security interests if they provide new value for the motor vehicle and the seller or lessor holds a licence (issued by the state or territory where the sale or lease happens) to deal in that kind of motor vehicle.
Old 27-02-2016, 01:24 AM   #25
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I sold a car last month and got a revs certificate/check
it cost me $9.90 and I printed it out myself
the site says its the official revs check site
I havnt checked my C/C statement lately
does this sound like the correct site to use or not
heres hoping
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2016, 02:12 AM   #26
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

This is the site to use: https://www.ppsr.gov.au

Costs $3.40 to search.

It's GOV.... not COM... au.

The federal government stuffed up. When setting up a commercial web site, register all domain names that are similar to the one that you're going to use (ie .com.au, .net.au, etc).

Other places are doing the same search, but adding a profit margin.
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #27
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
I sold a car last month and got a revs certificate/check
it cost me $9.90 and I printed it out myself
the site says its the official revs check site
I havnt checked my C/C statement lately
does this sound like the correct site to use or not
heres hoping
thanks John
Sounds like you got off lightly unless that was a monthly or some other periodic subscription fee that you didn't realise you were signing up to; carefully check your credit card statement.
Old 19-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #28
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

It seems Commerce WA may at one time have had a link to the wrong place on their site leading to my mistake. I have had an email from them saying: "I have made sure our website only links to the government PPSR website and not to any commercial services". I guess public servants can be sucked in by the results of a Google search just like anyone else.