Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
tlub

Default parts hording

I know that many people collect parts for their eventual projects, if they ever happen.i suppose I could be looked at as having a whinge but one would like to think that if someone had parts stored that they would be keen to offload some of to a fellow enthusiast to complete a restoration , either at a reasonable price (not the cost of a small country) or at least to see more of the older cars back on the road. im getting close on my xd x- pursuit but struggling to find NOS or even good genuine bits
tlub is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
Gurbachen
Starter Motor

Default Re: parts hording

Yeah I'm having that issue myself, just bought a Datsun 260z and any time anything mildly useful goes up for sale on the Z forum everyone pounces on it, and half of them say something like 'just in case I need it in a few years'. Well **** guys, I need it now! :P
Gurbachen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2015, 11:56 PM   #3
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Hoard parts yourself.
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2015, 12:09 AM   #4
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been collecting parts since the 80's the best parts are stored away for my projects, why should I off load them cheap for someone else's project??

Every time I am looking for something I get raped, any parts I do sell go towards buying other parts I need. Took me about 12 months to find an XA GT fuel gauge, and paid decent money for it, so now it's mine and stored away for an eventual project.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 12:14 AM   #5
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I'm collecting NA/NC Fairlane bits. In a few years I won't find jack **** for these anymore as people don't care about them now and stuff eventually just gets binned.
Special parts will only be sold to those with the same passion to these vehicles as I have.

Not gunna sell joe blogs and mint condition grille to show off at the Friday night maccas burnout comp..

If anyone has any NC bits... Louvers... Sun visors... Headlight protectors... Bonnet protectors... SLS bits.. NOS parts... Anything of interest...Lemme know!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 12:16 AM   #6
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the trick is to get in early before they become collectible. E series /AU/BA parts are everywhere. Start hoarding them now and thank me later!
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 02:39 AM   #7
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guilty I'm afraid. Hoarding parts in case I have a prang with my XC, where will I find parts if God forbid it happens?
Sorry tlub, but you will be finding it hard these days for parts especially NOS. Best option is to by a whole car for parts. But if someone has XD parts but not an XD then I agree, they should probably help out a guy.
This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 02:42 AM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna View Post
the trick is to get in early before they become collectible. E series /AU/BA parts are everywhere. Start hoarding them now and thank me later!
I've got an EL Fairmont Ghia at my workshop I've been slowly pulling apart, we've put 5 other EL Falcons back on the road with it, and used its brake light holders to get a VT Commodore road worthy again, same holder

The cluster is in my EF, my EL Fairmont Ghia lives across multiple cars.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 02:44 AM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

For the cost of some parts, you could buy a 3D printer and make your own.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 08:18 AM   #10
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm guilty of this I actually have a full set (in some cases doubles and triples of parts) of hanging panels from my wife's 38 (only thing missing is front guards) I also have boxes and boxes of mechanical parts for it. Some came with it some in job lots at swap meets and some off eBay, the doubles and triples I will use as swaps with other 38 owners for something I need or to sweeten the pot in a deal, but I'm not letting them go at less than market value so some one can get theirs on the road, if the guys a mate I'll help him out, lone parts etc (I gave a mate a heap of gear box bits to get him rolling to Chopped last year) but I'm not doing all my scrounging to help some one who won't do the same that's what over priced eBay items are for, if you aren't up at 5 ratting through a box of **** on a tarp covered in frost at a swap meet or talking to a bloke who has one you just happens to see out of the corner of your eye as you drove past at 110km for it, or ratting through wrecking yards out bush after some one told you they saw one out there but the guy at the gate doesn't think so, be stuffed if I'm providing that service for you for free

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #11
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Guilty I'm afraid. Hoarding parts in case I have a prang with my XC, where will I find parts if God forbid it happens?
Sorry tlub, but you will be finding it hard these days for parts especially NOS. Best option is to by a whole car for parts. But if someone has XD parts but not an XD then I agree, they should probably help out a guy.
It won't happen because your have the parts

That's why I keep them

There guy who had a windscreen made for a chopped F truck cost a bom and he stoned it after 3 months on the road as he owned the moulds he had 2 made the next time and put one in the roof of his shed for safe keeping 15 years later and many many kilometres it's never been needed

That's why you keep these bits

Old 30-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't feel guilty about collecting parts. You're admired by the enthusiasts and hated by the Johnny come lately bunch....They will never understand.

Same applies to a car. They didn't want it when you showed your passion for it, but now they're desired and worth $ they kick and scream because you leave it sit in your yard and refuse to sell.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Got a mate who is a tragic for it, cant walk past a HQ part without picking it up and storing it away.
He's a Holden nut, old school, has a mint 1970 prototype HQ Premier in his shed, hasnt turned a wheel in a decade.

A wander around his shed is like a step back in time, he's proud of his collection of spares and will pull out his NOS Premier Clock with winding pin intact, or his numerous sets of Premier headlight surrounds and half a dozen nose cones and radiator support panels. A number of complete K frames uncracked. He has a shelf dedicated to Premier sill trims, has about 3 or 4 complete sets, or the couple of LS 3 light rear bars which were like hens teeth to find 20 years ago.

These are the things that any HQ owner would give a kidney for, but he wont part with them, pardon the pun, why would he, you cant replace that stuff.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2015, 09:54 AM   #14
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Wont be long and e series parts will be the same price as x series parts are now
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #15
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
Wont be long and e series parts will be the same price as x series parts are now
I bought two running going EFs as parts cars for my EF in the same colour. Tripples of everything.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #16
HI PSI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been collect BF Fpv bumper bars for the past 2 or 3 years and now have three complete bars. I also have a completed genuine DJR 320 kit. As with all vehicles, the manufacturer will ultimate stop production of these parts and they will become a highly desirable item and very hard to source.

How many GT's and Typhooon's are going to declared repairable write off's when they insurers cannot source genuine parts. Does sourcing spares when they are available and keeping them for when they may be needed, make me a hoarder? I don't think that it does, I think that it is wise. More so with the FPV parts, as the patents are never released for reproductions...... Just my 2 cents...
HI PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #17
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI PSI View Post
I have been collect BF Fpv bumper bars for the past 2 or 3 years and now have three complete bars. I also have a completed genuine DJR 320 kit. As with all vehicles, the manufacturer will ultimate stop production of these parts and they will become a highly desirable item and very hard to source.

How many GT's and Typhooon's are going to declared repairable write off's when they insurers cannot source genuine parts. Does sourcing spares when they are available and keeping them for when they may be needed, make me a hoarder? I don't think that it does, I think that it is wise. More so with the FPV parts, as the patents are never released for reproductions...... Just my 2 cents...
That's it we're just squirrels storing nuts for the winter

Old 30-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #18
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

What proper car enthusiast doesn't hoard parts, you would be mad not too.

Ps, and no I will not sell my old Val' v8 bonnet ornament for the 10 time ok mopar dude, I need it just because...

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 11:50 AM   #19
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Also guilty. lol
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #20
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
I bought two running going EFs as parts cars for my EF in the same colour. Tripples of everything.
Good idea
Im always on the hunt for a complete cheap white ef wagon now for spares
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #21
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
For the cost of some parts, you could buy a 3D printer and make your own.
the little rectangular surrounds on the xb interior door handles.
3-d printed (in black) about 20 of them.

ignoring the cost of the printer, just the material alone I have spent almost $5.

It took about 20 min to draw it, mainly because I am really poor at drawing. The most difficult part, how think to make the lugs underneath; thick enough to hold, not to thick as to not fit, [it took 2 tries on that], not too thin as they will snap off, which was the reason I was making them in the first place.

they are plain at the moment, but I have been told they can be chromed, but not sure if I could be bothered as they look good in black.

also, they look better if wiped over with acetone, so I got the wife to wipe 'em with a tissue soaked in nail polish remover; I'll post a pic if anyone is interested.

I'm thinking, if it is non structural, and can be easily made, why not?

btw, still thinking of doing some more with lettering, maybe saying XB COUPE, or something.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #22
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Been collecting parts since the 80's the best parts are stored away for my projects, why should I off load them cheap for someone else's project??

Every time I am looking for something I get raped, any parts I do sell go towards buying other parts I need. Took me about 12 months to find an XA GT fuel gauge, and paid decent money for it, so now it's mine and stored away for an eventual project.
I had some clowns in this forum have digs at me for keeping a spare set of Landau rear eyebrow moulds gor my car just in case.

How dare i!

I positively love it when tip rats try to tell you what you should do with your money and your parts.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #23
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Some parts for cars you would think are widely available are very hard to find in good second hand condition or in new condition. AU's are a perfect example, XR headlights and bars for example are extremely hard to find in good spotless nick.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 03:54 PM   #24
Itsme
Experienced Member

Never felt guilty hording parts & never felt guilty for selling at high prices if there is demand for it, the items are sold on their current value.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #25
marty351
Shenanigans..............

I wonder if it's worth hoarding aurion parts?
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #26
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if I have the parts some one needs , ill help and sell them cheap but will also in the sale expect the supplying of the pasts im looking for , for my project
why should I give away good parts when im needing stuff that's going to cost me an arm and a leg just cox I managed to acquire by chance some thing cheep that's worth a few dollars
and generally when I have offered to help and gone and pulled it out they then want we to run it out to the middle of woop woop for nothing or just don't hear from them again so I think ill just keep hording my parts and acquiring what I need or find cheap for storage

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2015, 08:42 PM   #27
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
I wonder if it's worth hoarding aurion parts?
Im still waiting for my stockpile of TM Magna parts to be worth millions, should be any day now
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 08:53 PM   #28
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Hell yeh I'm a hoarder.
It's part of my retirement fund...
3 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 10:17 PM   #29
66GT

Shannons & I believe several other insurance companies encourage & cover your collection of crap - sorry, irreplaceable spares so there must be something in it. My collection includes many just in case bits & several I'm more than happy to off load, mostly acquired at the right price during restoration & usually in better condition than my cars originals.
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #30
XG_Falcon

If you don't like part hoarders - don't look in my shed, garage, driveway, backyard... or lounge room.

I can't even imagine the expenses involved if I bought parts on a need-it-now type basis.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: