Old 21-11-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Car Parking Gone Wrong

Car park gone wrong claims two boats, two garages, four cars and camper trailer

November 21, 2015 - 7:43AM

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/car-park-g...#ixzz3s4GFNaqr
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

It began with an attempt to park a car, initial police investigations suggest. It ended with damage to boats, cars and garages on opposite sides of a south coast street.

Emergency services responded about 8:30pm on Friday to reports of a crash on Robyn Road at Albion Park Rail, near Shellharbour.

Police say a 78-year-old man was pulling his Mitsubishi Pajero four-wheel-drive into a garage when he accelerated. He crashed through the rear wall of the garage and hit a boat on a trailer on the other side.

The trailer became lodged in the Mitsubishi, which reversed until it hit a Toyota Hilux and another boat on a trailer across the road.

Police believe this damage caused a second garage to collapse on top of the second boat, as well as a camper trailer.

The man then accelerated forward, hitting a Proton sedan and a Hyundai sedan. The boat trailer lodged in the Hyundai. The Mitsubishi came to a stop 200 metres away.

The driver was taken to Wollongong Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. His blood and urine will undergo mandatory drug and alcohol tests.

Click for original article

Comment
Whilst I defend any driver whom is fit to drive of any legal driving age, in this case the driver is not fit to drive.

Even in this case if it was a medical issue, then needs to be addressed and assessed before getting behind a wheel again

This could have been so much worse, luckily it wasnt
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Car Parking Gone Wrong

Until you know ALL the facts keep your pathetic opinions to yourself. Your neighbors may say similar comments about your driving.
Old 21-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
shazaam

It's a public forum, there's no need to be rude.
Old 21-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Until you know ALL the facts keep your pathetic opinions to yourself. Your neighbors may say similar comments about your driving.
Wow

Think being a forum i and any other member can make a comment, including yourself and post articles which have been released to the public.

Also if you have issues with a article, maybe contact the original SMH author and also speak to the police station in which the police officers attended from.

And my comment was that obviously the driver will need to be assessed.

Reasons being
Mitsubishi Pajero - no recalls or whatnot based on sticky accelerators or failed brakes.
EVEN if it did, then turn off the ignition
or
Place in neutral
or
Use handbrake

Garages - Don't usually move towards cars

Boats - Whilst on land generally DO NOT under their own power move about freely within the world and cause havoc, especially with no one in them (however this has not been confirmed if anyone was in the stationary boat whilst on land and whether or not that boat was being 'driven' on land)

Brickwork from garage - Usually doesn't fall over and create holes for cars to drive through on their own accord based on being built to the current building codes.

Garage Collapsing - Again don't usually collapse on their own accord, based on meeting current building codes

So in conclusion, based on the facts GIVEN within the PUBLIC article and information given by the police, one can only ASSUME that the driver of said Mitsubishi Pajero was possible at fault.

Oh and in regards to your comment about my driving style and if my neighbours appreciate it
Well i am courteous and do not rev my engine unnecessarily within my complex.
Also my neighbours may like my driving style cos I DO NOT go through garage walls, hit their boats nor collapse garages.

Just sayin
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina

Last edited by uniacidz; 21-11-2015 at 10:42 AM.
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

It sounds like a simple case of WTF.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

Maybe all drivers should be retested on their licence renewals with compulsory medicals regardless of their age, this might weed out all incompetent drivers we have on our roads.

This way no specific age group can say they are being discriminated against.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

An elderly driver’s medical condition and physical ability to drive is already scrutinised each year.

When we see reports of this type of accident it’s always an elderly driver that first comes to mind.

What do we think when we hear of someone going through a fence or house wall at speed on a bend or corner, do we immediately jump on a band wagon advocating all young driver’s be retested and their mental maturity evaluated?

There are good and bad drivers of all ages, let’s not start another thread on why the elderly should be targeted when the Government has already tried to put some common sense systems in place to help assess them.
7 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #8
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I just wonder how many incidents happen that are caused by foot being on the wrong pedal, with younger drivers say right down to 17 or 18 when they can get their licence?

Knowing the media, we are most likely only being fed stories according to controversy.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #9
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Maybe all drivers should be retested on their licence renewals with compulsory medicals regardless of their age
Just because someone's eyes and ears still work, doesn't mean they're capable of driving. While they might be able to keep the car pointing in the right direction, and respond to traffic lights, etc, they seem to have more and more trouble keeping track of what's going on around them, to the point of being completely unaware of others and being unable to anticipate what's going to happen. It's very unnerving to be driving up a divided 100 zone, and have an old lady on your side of the divide heading straight at you ... and I'd love to say that was a one off....
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Just because someone's eyes and ears still work, doesn't mean they're capable of driving. While they might be able to keep the car pointing in the right direction, and respond to traffic lights, etc, they seem to have more and more trouble keeping track of what's going on around them, to the point of being completely unaware of others and being unable to anticipate what's going to happen. It's very unnerving to be driving up a divided 100 zone, and have an old lady on your side of the divide heading straight at you ... and I'd love to say that was a one off....
This is where an instructor in a drivers test should pick up drivers awareness to their surrounding conditions.
Old 21-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #11
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Maybe all drivers should be retested on their licence renewals with compulsory medicals regardless of their age, this might weed out all incompetent drivers we have on our roads.

This way no specific age group can say they are being discriminated against.
Considering new drivers usually have to wait days or even weeks to get a spot for a test, how would the various state authorities be able to cope with retesting everyone when their licences come up for renewal. Either the delays will blow out or more testers are needed at every office. When you add more testers, the number of windows open to assist customers will need to increase.

Not going to happen.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #12
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Considering nobody was hurt, quite a comedic situation and all I can say hope he paid his insurance bills on time. If only someone captured the whole incident on camera and uploaded to YouTube, would probably be a viral video.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #13
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
It's very unnerving to be driving up a divided 100 zone, and have an old lady on your side of the divide heading straight at you ... and I'd love to say that was a one off....
I’d just be happy if they did something about the 33 year old ‘P’ plater who a few weeks ago cleaned up my C63 in an operating school zone while he was texting.

That idiot could have just as easily not noticed children crossing the road and cleaned them up instead.

Plenty of brain dead young people around as well who terrify other drivers.
6 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
I just wonder how many incidents happen that are caused by foot being on the wrong pedal, with younger drivers say right down to 17 or 18 when they can get their licence?

Knowing the media, we are most likely only being fed stories according to controversy.
i concur , i saw a woman in her 20`s move a 2 ton ice fridge in a servo with a monaro when her foot slipped off the brake , accidents happen at all ages, although in this case it does sound appear the old fella might be having other problems , time will tell .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #15
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8 View Post
Considering new drivers usually have to wait days or even weeks to get a spot for a test, how would the various state authorities be able to cope with retesting everyone when their licences come up for renewal. Either the delays will blow out or more testers are needed at every office. When you add more testers, the number of windows open to assist customers will need to increase.

Not going to happen.
Personally I don't care if this happens or not, it will be up to the authorities if it is warranted.
Old 21-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #16
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Considering nobody was hurt
That isn't always the case

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226984101479
Old 21-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #17
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
Plenty of brain dead young people around as well who terrify other drivers.
No question, but there's a difference between someone who willfully does the wrong thing, and someone who is simply incapable of doing the right thing any more.

If an employer knowingly hired someone who was past it to operate heavy machinery, they'd be hung drawn and quartered if/when something went wrong. But we turn a blind eye to it on public roads because presumably, old people vote, pay taxes, and are therefore entitled.
Old 21-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #18
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
No question, but there's a difference between someone who willfully does the wrong thing, and someone who is simply incapable of doing the right thing any more.
I don't think when referring to miks example that the 20 something year old woman driving the munro wilfully ran into the servo ice fridge.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #19
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Personally I don't care if this happens or not, it will be up to the authorities if it is warranted.
Im sure you'll care when rego and other costs increase to cover the extra staffing costs.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 05:12 PM   #20
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Anyone, at any age, is likely to panic when things go that badly wrong. Instinct is to move out of danger, which sadly sometimes makes it worse.
None of us are perfect, and until you're in that situation, you don't know what you'd do.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #21
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
.... but there's a difference between someone who willfully does the wrong thing, and someone who is simply incapable of doing the right thing any more.
Not when one of them kills you there's not.

I do understand your point but in my mind an unsafe driver is an unsafe driver regardless of the circumstances that makes them so.
Old 21-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #22
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

If an employer knowingly hired someone who was past it to operate heavy machinery, they'd be hung drawn and quartered if/when something went wrong. But we turn a blind eye to it on public roads because presumably, old people vote, pay taxes, and are therefore entitled.
I don't think the authorities turn a blind eye, if the percentage of these accidents were high then something would be done.
Old 21-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #23
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you panic or freeze when you are in an accident situation you should consider giving up driving, doesn't matter whether you are 17 or 70.
Old 21-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #24
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't think the authorities turn a blind eye, if the percentage of these accidents were high then something would be done.
When last I looked into it, ATSB stats showed older drivers had more crashes per km travelled than younger drivers (and more of them were multi-vehicle crashes)... not quite the same as the specifics of this thread, but still, older drivers don't get as much attention as they perhaps should.
Old 21-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #25
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
When last I looked into it, ATSB stats showed older drivers had more crashes per km travelled than younger drivers (and more of them were multi-vehicle crashes)... not quite the same as the specifics of this thread, but still, older drivers don't get as much attention as they perhaps should.
Begs the question as to what is an older driver and what attention should they receive?
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #26
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
An elderly driver’s medical condition and physical ability to drive is already scrutinised each year.
pretty sure that's not the case in Vic
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #27
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
pretty sure that's not the case in Vic
It certainly is here.

I’ve been taking my father-in-law to the Doctor every 12 months for a few years to have his medical and forms filled out and approved.

He failed last year and no longer has a licence.

He could reapply this year and the forms were sent to him but we didn't bother as there is no way he'd pass the medical.

And he still has one of the sharpest minds I know.
Old 21-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #28
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
Anyone, at any age, is likely to panic when things go that badly wrong. Instinct is to move out of danger, which sadly sometimes makes it worse.
None of us are perfect, and until you're in that situation, you don't know what you'd do.
Recently a 19YO P plater hit the wrong pedal at a round about, went out of control hitting two cars parked approx 50metres down the road. She trapped a mate in between them. The car was unregistered and written off, so she (does sex matter?) will be paying back damages for quite a while yet. Accidents happen.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #29
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Please post up your reference link, I like to read it.
Old 21-11-2015, 08:16 PM   #30
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Here are the NSW requirements.

Are you fit to drive.

If you're over 75 you are required to have a medical review every year to keep your licence.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/lice...-to-drive.html