Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default ACCC recalls counterfeit Toyota brake pads, containing asbestos, imported from China

Quote:
ACCC recalls counterfeit Toyota brake pads, containing asbestos, imported from China

November 18, 2015

Safety first ... The ACCC has issued a recall on counterfeit brake pads from China that contain asbestos. Picture: Supplied

Joshua Dowling,News Corp Australia Network

EXCLUSIVE

AUSTRALIA’S top consumer watchdog has issued an unprecedented recall on counterfeit brake pads that contain asbestos.

The bogus brake pads — which are supplied in what appears to be genuine Toyota packaging and are designed to fit more than 500,000 HiLux utes and Hiace vans on Australian roads — were bought online by an independent workshop.

It is the first time a recall has been issued for a counterfeit car part.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) will compel the supplier Westend Spares, based in the western Sydney suburb of St Marys, to contact all customers who bought the counterfeit parts and refund the cost to them.

The action comes after News Corp Australia revealed exclusively a fortnight ago that the asbestos parts had been imported illegally into the country.

The owner of Westend Spares, Andrew Gaal, said he was shocked to learn the brake pads he bought online from China were found to be counterfeit and contain asbestos.

Mr Gaal, who told News Corp Australia his father died from asbestos poisoning in 2008, said he took immediate action once he was notified about the dangerous parts.

Affected models ... The counterfeit brake pads are designed to fit the 2004 to 2015 Toyota HiLux ute and the Toyota van and commuter bus. Picture: Supplied.

Affected models ... The counterfeit brake pads are designed to fit the 2004 to 2015 Toyota HiLux ute and the Toyota van and commuter bus. Picture: Supplied.Source:Supplied

“This subject is close to my heart because my father passed away from asbestosis, so I got in contact with the people we sold them to straight away, (we’re) giving them a full refund and getting the pads back so they can be destroyed,” said Mr Gaal.

The independent mechanic said he sold the parts via the online auction site eBay after he bought them from a supplier in China.

“It’s made me more alert, it’s never going to happen again that’s for sure,” said Mr Gaal.

“I wasn’t aware they were counterfeit. They came in a Toyota box. I’ve lost sleep about this. It’s created stress between me and my wife. This could have been a lot worse on a bigger scale and I’m glad it didn’t.”

Mr Gaal says while he only sold 10 sets of counterfeit brake pads (from a batch of 40 sets), he believes a lot of other independent workshops are likely to have been caught out by the scam.

“A lot of smaller workshops buy stuff online like me … there is a strong possibility there are more (counterfeit brake pads with asbestos) out there,” he said.

Asbestos brake pads were banned from Australia in 2004 after the material was linked to lung cancer.

HiLux and Hiace vehicles serviced only by the Toyota dealer network are not at risk of having the bogus brake pads, but vehicles maintained by independent repairers may have been fitted with the counterfeit parts.

This reporter is on Twitter: @JoshuaDowling

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...a30498ff6f2a&=
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: ACCC recalls counterfeit Toyota brake pads, containing asbestos, imported from China

I call shenanigans. Most of the cheaper pads contain asbestos, why haven't the relevant authorities stopped those from coming into the country...?
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Re: ACCC recalls counterfeit Toyota brake pads, containing asbestos, imported from China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
I call shenanigans. Most of the cheaper pads contain asbestos, why haven't the relevant authorities stopped those from coming into the country...?
Do they? I've always wondered how consumer spare part joints can sell brake pad sets for $18 - $30 dollars.

So much for supporting local
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
Do they? I've always wondered how consumer spare part joints can sell brake pad sets for $18 - $30 dollars.

So much for supporting local
And the trouble is they work really well with Asbestos
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Local stuff stopped having asbestos in 2004 I believe.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

JD is missing his calling. He should be working for the National Inquirer.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #7
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is bigger than Toyota. Just remember if the price is too good there is usually a good reason.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #8
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

So is Westend Spares the only supplier? Its owner alludes that there are other suppliers of these pads also.

And how readily will the purchasers remove them from the cars they were fitted to? I can see they wont be removed.

Import quality controls need to be made far more stringent. Non compliant fire resistant building cladding from China is another example that immediately springs to mind.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2015, 08:18 PM   #9
XG_Falcon

Ironically asbestos is the best product for the job (if you disregard the carcinogenic side of things).
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #10
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG_Falcon View Post
Ironically asbestos is the best product for the job (if you disregard the carcinogenic side of things).
It stops you dead in your tracks.
Old 19-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #11
XG_Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
After 20 years or so.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2015, 11:20 PM   #12
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Considering the millions of asbestos products used over the last 70+ years its not exactly like everyone is currently dropping dead.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2015, 12:51 AM   #13
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Considering the millions of asbestos products used over the last 70+ years its not exactly like everyone is currently dropping dead.
My comment was just a joke with no accuracy implied.

But if you wish to take a serious tone then be my guest, you can play Russian roulette with a substance that is highly risky where even handling it is regulated and I’ll do the smart thing and avoid it.

Evidence of Asbestos poisoning dates back to ancient Rome and modern man took it to a whole new level.

I don’t care how long it takes to kill as many adults have inhaled it as children and not seen 40.

The fact brake pads which contain Chrysotile the asbestos mineral which was common in products and building materials is banned in the European Union and Australia is a good enough reason for me to ditch those types of pads and I’d expect importers to toe the line and not sell me products which contain banned substances.

I wouldn’t want my children touching brake dust on my cars that has the potential to invite a slow and painful death.

Whether its fact or fiction doesn’t matter to me as the risk is not worth it.
This user likes this post:
Old 20-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
My comment was just a joke with no accuracy implied.

But if you wish to take a serious tone then be my guest, you can play Russian roulette with a substance that is highly risky where even handling it is regulated and I’ll do the smart thing and avoid it.

Evidence of Asbestos poisoning dates back to ancient Rome and modern man took it to a whole new level.

I don’t care how long it takes to kill as many adults have inhaled it as children and not seen 40.

The fact brake pads which contain Chrysotile the asbestos mineral which was common in products and building materials is banned in the European Union and Australia is a good enough reason for me to ditch those types of pads and I’d expect importers to toe the line and not sell me products which contain banned substances.

I wouldn’t want my children touching brake dust on my cars that has the potential to invite a slow and painful death.

Whether its fact or fiction doesn’t matter to me as the risk is not worth it.
Yep. Just ask any of the kids (now adults) that are still alive and grew up in Wittenoom

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2015, 09:55 PM   #15
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Depends on what you want for a pad. Some applications its okay others not so.
Old 19-11-2015, 11:17 PM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Wasn't there a batch of Cherry cars that were found to have Asbestos engine gaskets???

Ok, as for the danger of using them. I always thought that intact fibres that were expelled from structurally unsound material were most dangerous? (like the stuff that drifts off from snapping a bit of 50 year old fibro in half).

If these pads do indeed have asbestos, wouldn't any emitted material be nothing more than burnt ash? I mean, they are worn down by high speed friction that burns the pad down not grinds bits off??

What percentage of the pad is actual asbestos?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 12:11 AM   #17
XXX747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Wasn't there a batch of Cherry cars that were found to have Asbestos engine gaskets???

Ok, as for the danger of using them. I always thought that intact fibres that were expelled from structurally unsound material were most dangerous? (like the stuff that drifts off from snapping a bit of 50 year old fibro in half).

If these pads do indeed have asbestos, wouldn't any emitted material be nothing more than burnt ash? I mean, they are worn down by high speed friction that burns the pad down not grinds bits off??

Asbestos does not burn or degrade. When the fibre shear off the pad they float into the atmosphere and some are left on the calipers and inner wheels. There are plenty of mechanics who have asbestosis from changing brake pads over the years.
XXX747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2015, 12:37 AM   #18
XG_Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX747 View Post
Asbestos does not burn or degrade. When the fibre shear off the pad they float into the atmosphere and some are left on the calipers and inner wheels. There are plenty of mechanics who have asbestosis from changing brake pads over the years.
Millions of US shipyard workers and sailors also suffered asbestosis over the years. Asbestos is an ideal material for use in the shipbuilding industry. It was used to insulate boilers, incinerators, hot water pipes and steam pipes. During WW2 approximately 4.5 million men and women worked in shipyard occupations that could have potentially exposed them to asbestos. In 1943, 1 in 500 shipyard workers was an asbestos insulator.

Nobody knows how many people were afflicted. The US government received reports in the early 40's that detailed the significant health risks but they chose to ignore the warnings.

In many developing nations, Asbestos is still widely used and produced. Russia still loves it.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2015, 12:54 AM   #19
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
In many developing nations, Asbestos is still widely used and produced. Russia still loves it.
So does China and India, all countries known for their high degree of Occupational Health and Safety Standards.
This user likes this post:
Old 20-11-2015, 12:46 AM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX747 View Post
Thanks for clarifying.

I have a panel beating book packed away somewhere that describes a method of shrinking or stretching warped panels back into shape by applying heat then cooling with big clumps of wet asbestos applied by hand.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

It was great wall.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #22
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

The dangers of asbestos dust in brake pads has been known at least since 1970 when I first started working on cars. The sad part is that the CRC Brakleen I and others used to regularly use to deal with the asbestos brake pad dust (soak the pads with the CRC sprays and use it to clean the dust off any drums or discs) when changing pads at that time contained carbon tetrachloride , trichloroethene or tetrachloroethyene or something similar that was later found to cause liver and kidney cancer. And no carbon filter mask in those days. The formulae has since changed - some discussion here http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1408150589

Last edited by aussiblue; 20-11-2015 at 12:26 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #23
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

There is likely lot of clutches containing asbestos still in cars on the road given that clutches have relatively long lives compared to brake pads.

And I guess if we tested Oz workshops the findings would be similar to these:

http://www.asbestosnetwork.com/High-...echanics.shtml

Quote:
Over a three month period, investigators from the Seattle Post-Intelligencer recovered high levels of asbestos dust from floors, work areas and tool bins in brake repair garages in Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Richmond, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. The study may be just one example of the many repair shops and garages that continue to pose health hazards to their employees and the public.
Old 20-11-2015, 12:51 PM   #24
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

The spray can solvent approach is still approved in the US:

https://www.osha.gov/dts/shib/shib072606.html

Quote:
The spray can/solvent system may be used when proper work practices are followed. At a minimum, the spray can/solvent system method must follow detailed written procedures including the following:
1.Wet the brake and clutch parts with the spray can/solvent before taking any other action.
2.Wipe the brake and clutch parts clean with a cloth.
3.Place contaminated cloth into an impermeable, properly labeled container, and then dispose of it as asbestos waste. Alternatively, the cloth can be laundered to prevent the release of asbestos fibers in excess of 0.1 fiber per cubic centimeter of air, expressed as an 8-hour time-weighted average.
4.Immediately clean any spilled solvent or dispersed asbestos with a cloth or HEPA vacuum.
5.Dry brushing during spray can/solvent system operations is prohibited.

The solvents typically used in brake and clutch work are hazardous chemicals, which requires the employer to comply with the Hazard Communication standard. If the solvents are flammable, appropriate precautions against fire and explosion must be taken.
But seemingly not here:https://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/form...icle-workshops
Old 20-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #25
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gees its bad stuff that Asbestos.......Needs to be removed from every product available on the market.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #26
XG_Falcon

The powers that be all knew the risks and dangers long before the symptoms began to show in the general populace. It really grinds my gears that big companies are still putting lives in peril by selling asbestos products.

Many things can kill - Blue asbestos destroys.
Old 20-11-2015, 09:28 PM   #27
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Canada still exports asbestos to India.

Oh, sure you can count the amount of lives asbestos has cost, but can you count the amount of lives that it has saved?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #28
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Every time I think of asbestos it reminds me of the former asbestos mining town of Wittenoom in WA. The state government has removed it from maps and the signs for the town are gone, power cut off. Had a population of 7000 during the mining boom with 2000 dying from cancer. It's population is about 6 today. Eerie place to visit.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 10:36 PM   #29
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

And the US has its version of James Hardie - Federal Mogul

http://www.ewg.org/asbestos/federalmogul.php and http://www.asbestos.com/companies/fe...orporation.php
Old 20-11-2015, 11:55 PM   #30
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
Any Melburnians old enough will remember the old Harris suburban trains... These were absolutely brimming with blue asbestos, it was used as insulation in the walls and ceilings.
They were taken out of service in the late 80's due to the health concerns and were disposed of by dumping them in quicksand.
I remember they rode very quiet and smoothly compared to the old red rattlers. And even the newer trains.

But asbestos behind the interior linings would have been quite safe unless disturbed. Bit different about the brakes on trains though, anywhere you went at railway stations etc and with trains braking, you smelt brake dust. I'm sure the dust would have contained asbestos.

Sad ending to the blue trains. I liked them.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: