Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default AU handbrake, friend or foe?

How's your AU handbrake going, is it operating properly or is it giving you ulcers from being recalcitrant? Any tips or thoughts on the subject, please feel free to post a thought!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: AU handbrake, friend or foe?

foe. Always foe.
Constantly needs adjustment.
Can't apply at speed as it catches rather than coming on slowly.
Ratchet in handle has worn teeth so disengages when bumped
Squeaks or whooshes when adjusted improperly
Possibly the worst engineered component of the AU falcon.
4 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
foe. Always foe.
Constantly needs adjustment.
Can't apply at speed as it catches rather than coming on slowly.
Ratchet in handle has worn teeth so disengages when bumped
Squeaks or whooshes when adjusted improperly
Possibly the worst engineered component of the AU falcon.
All for saving a couple bob, one retaining clip v two for E series...

My Futura's handbrake is a friend, my Xr6's (irs) is a foe but is getting better after spending a few hours adjusting & setting it properly. That wooshing sound was a scrape for me, you could hear it coming from 20 meters away

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 25-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Spurious

Mine needs adjustment about once every 6 months. Be sure to adjust both sides evenly too.
To avoid wearing out the teeth you should push the button when engaging the handle, but obviously better doing this from new!

I prefer to have mine adjusted to a point where the handle doesn't come up that far. Mainly 'cause I've got a boat to launch & retrieve. Prefer to know that the handbrake won't start letting go whilst I'm winching the boat up!

It could've been engineered better but it only takes 10 to 15 minutes each side to get wheels on & off & adjust it.

You show me a car that has no flaws, & I'll show you a mechanic with clean hands!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #5
2002au
Define definitive

Mines actually spot on. Haven't adjusted it in ages. Locks up mint ;)
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #6
Shambles
Knucklehead

I've had no troubles whatsoever with my handbrake. Adjusted once in 60000kays and 4 years only because I fitted Brembos on the rear. Don't even put it in gear on a hill.
Shambles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #7
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My handbrake needs adjusting but two things stopping me from actually adjusting it...bad weather and a bit of laziness because it's winter and I hate cold weather.
This user likes this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
To avoid wearing out the teeth you should push the button when engaging the handle, but obviously better doing this from new!
Yes, quite so. Two teeth were slipping when I got the car, and in the last 9 years and 160k i think i've had rather bad handbrake habits.

Is no-one else ****ted off at the fact that you can't ease on the handbrake at speed?
Old 26-06-2015, 08:53 AM   #9
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
Yes, quite so. Two teeth were slipping when I got the car, and in the last 9 years and 160k i think i've had rather bad handbrake habits.

Is no-one else ****ted off at the fact that you can't ease on the handbrake at speed?

I remember the first time i pulled my AU Futura's handbrake at speed & i thought the back end had blown up!

The handbrake in it is like a on / off switch, it comes on harshly with a bang at speed, can be a bit of fun if your not aware of it, yet it operates fine when used normally. It least it operates quiet & hasn't needed adjustment for ages. Wish my Xr6's handbrake was the same actually!

cheer's, Maka

Old 26-06-2015, 11:02 PM   #10
Spurious

Well I've never done handbrakies, if that's what ya'll are getting at. & yes, mine is no different...sounds like glacial activity if I pull it on with even the slightest of forward movement.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2015, 11:16 PM   #11
towtaltowing

hasnt worked in 40thou so just leave it in park
towtaltowing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2015, 11:20 PM   #12
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Ive had only 2 AUs where the handbrake didnt disengage fully. Obvious by the classic "shh-shh-shh" noise.
Other than that, perfectly functional.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2015, 12:28 AM   #13
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mines never been adjusted and I push the knob when applying it, park it in neutral everywhere I go, never leave it in gear,
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #14
FTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spot on in the AU XR8 ute, total ***** in the AU XR8 sedan.
I've adjusted the sedan more times than I care to remember

2001 Congo Green AU 111 XR8 sedan, manual option 2G body kit but now wears the Rebel kit

1997 EL GT Sparkling Burgundy, sunroof, auto.

Our former Tickford cars:

1997 XH11 XR8
1998 AU XR8 manual sedan
1999 AU XR8 manual ute
2002 AU XR8 auto sedan, sunroof
FTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #15
347 mont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine is a POS, needs regular adjustment. Is there a perm fix for this?
Old 27-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #16
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347 mont View Post
Mine is a POS, needs regular adjustment. Is there a perm fix for this?
If just about every component in the system was up to spec or brand new, i would say yes if your prepared to check, service & adjust the handbrake system at every service. A small price to pay considering how awful the noise is when your handbrake shoes are dragging when coming to a stop!

Looking over previous threads on the matter, members have had good success with using a PBR major handbrake rebuild kit & making sure the handbrake cable is slack when adjusting the star wheels inside the brake hub.

cheer's, Maka

Old 30-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #17
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Hi all, after researching the subject for a while (god bless AFF ) & playing around with the handbrake adjustment for a couple of hours again over the weekend, i've eliminated that horrid shh shh noise completely for now. I don't know how long the noise will be gone for but atm its great not getting funny looks by pedestrians as i brake to a stop, I can fully enjoy my AU xr6 for now!

For those who want to now how i went about it - (chock front wheels, safely raise & remove rear wheels, secure the rear end on stands) put it in neutral, slacken the handbrake cable, dismantle the parts assembly (brake shoes, clips, adjusters etc), then the retaining clips were reshaped (back to original shape +, be careful not to damage when reshaping) to give more bite & tension, there should be no movement of the brake horseshoe at all when fitted!

Then bevel all sharp / leading edges of both shoes a bit & grease the adjusters, actuation levers plus the shoes where they sit on the adjusters with a little smear of hi temp grease before fitting.

After refitting everything, there's two adjusting points for the AU handbrake system (i couldn't find a third like the BA setup). From what i've read, the way the system works is the drivers side shoe tension the left side (linked cable), so with the handbrake cable fully backed off i adjusted the drivers side first (important!) with brake hub off until slight drag when replacing the brake hub, then backed off the starwheel / adjuster about a turn or two to refit the rotor / brake hub (remember to flick the locking tab back in before refitting the rotor / brake hub). The passenger side handbrake shoes was adjusted the same as the drivers side.

Definitely had more shoe wear on the passenger side because of being out of adjustment (shh shh side), that's why i took the hubs off to adjust the shoes & didin't bother with the 189.7mm factory spec. After that was all done i adjusted the cable at the handbrake lever for 8 clicks max then looked at & measured the cable actuation levers on the other side of the backing plates, both were around 8mm (spec is 6 - 10 mm) with handbrake on.

Test handbrake operation a couple times then test drive (listening for the noise again), back off cable at the handbrake lever a bit more if needed upon hearing the noise. Do not pull up on the handbrake lever at all while reversing or driving ever or the shh shh noise may show up again very soon...

Only pull up the handbrake lever as much is needed to safely park, you will only stretch / ruin the handbrake cable if reefing it on to max.

If the noise turns up again for me, everything will be replaced with new parts (PBR major handbrake rebuild kit, thanks for the heads up Silver!) & the fun starts again adjusting it all up!

ps - sorry for the long post & lack of photo's

cheer's, Maka

Last edited by Maka; 30-06-2015 at 12:06 PM.
This user likes this post: