Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Does Holden have an advantage after local assembly stops?

Reading the new Top Gear (speculative) article about HSV's next Commodore, I think Ford may lose alot of business after 2016.
I'm trying to work out if there's any scope to "Australianise" the Mondeo after the "Commodore" comes out, and there isn't really.

That the market is shrinking is well and truly documented. That the new Commodore isn't going to be a substitute for the current model is also no secret. But with them making an effort to engineer, and tailor it to our market, surely 50-70% of current VE/VF customers will consider giving the new one a go come trade-in time. And if it is faster, better they'll be onto a winner.
Especially since there'll be a performance variant, HSV or otherwise.

Clearly GM has built a business case for a unique variant of their next car to be built at Russelsheim( or China or w/e), with possibly unique engines and design aspects on the same line as the Insignia.
I believe there is a chance that Holden and HSV could, in alot of ways bring out a decent car in it's own right.
They'll probaby make sure it can tow, tune the engines and if HSV is good enough with a performance variant, it could be exported since its based on a global platform.
Hopefully, it could also mean more contracts for Aussie supppliers (although not nearly enough to save most of them).

It's ironic that Holden has the scope to do this, when they're the ones scaling back the local R&D department, while Ford is adding engineers and designers but doesn't appear to want to fill the gap Falcon XR6T, LPI, ute will leave.

The key difference is that Mondeo/Fusion was designed before Ford announced closure, so our market wasn't a major consideration.

The Insignia/Buick/Commodore, meanwhile, is being designed with significant input from Holden, and will probably be alot lighter than Mondeo- which has been criticised for being too heavy.

If One Ford was as effective and good as its claimed to be, we would be able to cherry pick engines from the Ford empire to put into Ranger, Mondeo and Transit (the US Ecoboost V6 could be a good platform for a performance van), to give XR6T, taxi fleets, Falcon ute customers, LPI customers something to consider come trade-in time.

GM seems to have more flexibility for our market in these segments.

I know Mondeo is a great car in it's own right, but I wish Ford Aus would make effort to fill gaps. Like an LPI V6 ( Lincoln MKZ engine + Falcon LPI hardware), a XR (either aforementioned V6+ manaul with LSD/ Revoknuckle, or 2.3 Ecoboost) but Ford doesn't have a skunkworks like HSV/FPV anymore.

The Ranger has become alot more car-like, but it's no Falcon ute. I'd like to see a Hilux V6 competitor to fill the gap maybe, with better handling. Maybe a Coyote version. But I'm dreaming aren't I...

I love the Fiesta, Focus, etc and know they're brilliant, but I find myself very intrigued at the prospect of Holden still making some kind of effort to tailor a car to our market. I hope it is successful, and prompts Ford to consider a re-alignment of Mondeo and Ranger to fill the gap.
Thoughts?
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Does Holden have an advantage after local assembly stops?

All of the above misses the whole point that Australia is too small a market to have bespoke models, the best we can hope for is the Hyundai/Kia approach of tuned for Australian conditions.
And when Mondeo was designed im certain ford gave NO thought as to how it would compare to falcon.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 03-02-2015, 07:36 PM   #3
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
All of the above misses the whole point that Australia is too small a market to have bespoke models, the best we can hope for is the Hyundai/Kia approach of tuned for Australian conditions.
And when Mondeo was designed im certain ford gave NO thought as to how it would compare to falcon.
Actually the best we can hope for is the Commodore approach, since it goes further. Hence they can justify a name change, and HSV variants.
I mentioned the Mondeo not being made with any consideration for that, but The Commodore is different, since the core platform is being developed post-shutdown announcement.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden are in the worst situation of any car company here. Without a big rear drive v8 they will be rooted.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden seem to be advertising Opel stuff already.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #6
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
Holden are in the worst situation of any car company here. Without a big rear drive v8 they will be rooted.
I agree, aside from V8 RWD aussie models, the GM range as it stands is mediocre, current captiva is a Daewoo legacy model, Colorado isn't as solid an effort as ranger.
Ford by comparison haven't got as far to fall so to speak, remove Falcon and Territory, they are left with well regarded cars that don't sell as they should. With good cars, you can market your way back to prosperity, with mediocre, you cant fool the average punter.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 03-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Don't get too sucked in to the idea that Holden are building a car just for us elsewhere, its no different to what Ford is doing with the Everest. Design/engerneered here for the global market, but slightly more suited due to our engerneers having local knowledge.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2015, 08:30 PM   #8
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
But I'm dreaming aren't I...
Yes you are.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
I'd like to see a Hilux V6 competitor to fill the gap maybe, with better handling. Maybe a Coyote version. But I'm dreaming aren't I...
Thoughts?
Honestly I'm sick of reading peoples' hypotheses about Ford, but the above point sticks out. Why on earth would you build a car like a Hilux V6? Have you ever owned or driven one? They go like stink BUT cost a shedload to run, most fleet companies are getting rid of them for that reason (mine included, we've changed to Rangers).

The Coyote variant would be cool though, but I think there has to be more to a car than it being 'cool' in order for it to be built.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #10
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
Honestly I'm sick of reading peoples' hypotheses about Ford, but the above point sticks out. Why on earth would you build a car like a Hilux V6? Have you ever owned or driven one? They go like stink BUT cost a shedload to run, most fleet companies are getting rid of them for that reason (mine included, we've changed to Rangers).

The Coyote variant would be cool though, but I think there has to be more to a car than it being 'cool' in order for it to be built.
Yeah relax buddy, nothing to get riled up/ indignant about. The Hilux still oustells Ranger and they have a V6 variant. I am talking about my personal preference, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I'm hoping there's a new 6-cylinder ute for sale after that timeframe because thats my kind of vehicle. Is that okay with you?

Yes I've driven one. And a 2.7 workmate, Ranger 2.2, 3.2, 2.5, VF SV6 ute and FG LPI, XR6T and NA utes, for the record.

Last edited by FalconXV; 03-02-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #11
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I dunno. Plenty of V8 loyalists switched over when the XR6T came out. I'm sure if there's an all-paw Insignia that is faster than the outgoing SS, some people would be enticed to consider it. That's why I said 50-70%.
If HSV can squeeze an LS motor in, that's definitely a coup, but we'll have to see about that one...
Old 03-02-2015, 09:27 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Yeah relax buddy, nothing to get riled up/ indignant about. The Hilux still oustells Ranger and they have a V6 variant. I am talking about my personal preference, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I'm hoping there's a new 6-cylinder ute for sale after that timeframe because thats my kind of vehicle. Is that okay with you?

Yes I've driven one. And a 2.7 workmate, Ranger 2.2, 3.2, 2.5, VF SV6 ute and FG LPI, XR6T and NA utes, for the record.
I'm fine. Buddy. And yes that's fine with me. Buddy.

Dont call me Buddy. Sport.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:27 PM   #13
ParisManfred
1971 XY 351

Ford will be fine, Ford have a far better range all the way from the Fietsa to the Mustang, you can not same the same for Holden but what you can say is Holden spend more money on marketing and sponsorship which translates to high Commodore sales.

I think too many people when comparing Ford v Holden think Falcon v Commodore and forget the rest of the range. Have a good close look at the Opel Commodore, if I was a Holden lover I would be worried.
2016 Territory Titanium AWD Smoke Diesel
2005 FLSTFI 15th Anniversary Fat Boy

Car History:
XY Ute, XY Ford Falcon 351, ZG Fairlane, ZH Marquis, XB GT Sedan, XC Panel Van, XD Panel Van, XE Ute, EA Sedan, BA XR8, BF XR6 Turbo Ute, FG X XR8.
ParisManfred is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Your reading way too much into what Holden will be doing with the next Commodore. They will have next to no imput bar local suspension and steering tuning, which they already do with imported stuff anyway, just like most of the manufacturers do with imported stuff as well.

They will have a totally skeleton crew of engineers left here. The ads Holden are running atm are nothing but blatant pre-emptive brain washing, convincing the stupid people out there (Commodore owners I guess) that the next Commodore will be Aussie as mate. Spare me

FWD burnouts in our imported Opal POS- Let's Go There
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

The big issue that nobody has touched on yet is that there is going to be a huge glut of commodore stockies with burnout tyres on gumtree after the Commodores are gone. What are they going to fit them to now?

Wont somebody think of the children........
Old 03-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Maybe they can fit them to the front wheels
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 PM   #17
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Your reading way too much into what Holden will be doing with the next Commodore. They will have next to no imput bar local suspension and steering tuning, which they already do with imported stuff anyway, just like most of the manufacturers do with imported stuff as well.

They will have a totally skeleton crew of engineers left here. The ads Holden are running atm are nothing but blatant pre-emptive brain washing, convincing the stupid people out there (Commodore owners I guess) that the next Commodore will be Aussie as mate. Spare me

Lol sadly I think you're right after reading some articles. Did get carried away with a bit of wishful thinking. But I'm prone to doing that- there's so much talent and passion in this country I'd hope theres some kind of outlet for it in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I'm fine. Buddy. And yes that's fine with me. Buddy.

Dont call me Buddy. Sport.
Sorry darlin.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #18
timeout

hope you like driving opel insignias thats what the rvcs site says they are type certifing convert the sample vins if youmust?
timeout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #19
timeout

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/AppDo...014200501.HTML

Make : Holden

Model : GA

Category : MA

Manufactured by : GM Holden Limited

Typical VIN : W0LGS5EG2F1123456

Seating Capacity : 5

----------
decoder website

VIN:

W0LGS5EG2F1123456

WMI / VDS / VIS:

W0L / GS5EG2 / F1123456

Manufacturer:

Opel GM Germany

Brand:

Opel

Model:

Insignia Sport

Engine:

A28NER325HP

Region/Plant:

Rüsselsheim Germany

Check:

Year:

Sequential number:

http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-...GS5EG2F1123456
2 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2015, 10:03 PM   #20
timeout

a28ner is the 2.8 hfv6 turbo alloytec

Motorcode: A28NER
Bauform: V6 DOHC
Ventilanzahl und Antrieb: 24, Steuerkette
verstellbare Nockenwellen: Einlass- und Auslassseite
Bohrung: 89,0 mm
Hub: 74,8 mm
Volumen: 2792 cm3
Verdichtung: 9,5 : 1
Leistung: 239 kW (325 PS) / 5250 min-1
Drehmoment: 435 / 5250 min-1
Kraftstoffsystem: Einzeleinspritzung, ?
Abgassystem: kein AGR, geregelter Katalysator
Turbolader: Typ unbekannt
Besonderheiten: E-Gas, Kolbenbodenkühlung, Tempomat
Ölfüllmenge (Liter): 6,3
3 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #21
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Holden big seller is the Commodore.
Fords sales are from much more a broader range of vehicle not reliant on just the Falcon.
Once the Mustang hits Australia I think they will sell more units than FPV did..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #22
My32Doors

No they don't
My32Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2015, 11:40 PM   #23
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn't that just be the current Insignia OPC that they're selling this year?
Old 04-02-2015, 12:08 AM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not entirely sure about that.
I know quite a few people out here who have got new lease cars recently, and they've deliberately gone out and picked a V8 SS, Calais, whatever, Holden. They've said they "finally decided to buy one" once they found out they wouldn't be made anymore. Otherwise, they say, they would have just picked a V6 one, or some SUV or four wheel drive like they had before.
It obviously implies the only reason they went ahead and ordered one was "exclusivity" and "owning the last of the breed". To be fair, I have also heard guys say that about V8 Falcons of various sorts. One guy even thinks his SS with a few Walkinshaw options (not a supercharged one) is going to be a fast appreciating collector item in years to come. I think he should be prepared to be surprised...

Can you claim this is evidence the company will be "rooted" without a rear drive V8? Of course not. These, and people like them, are just outlying spikes in the statistics...they can't really be used as "the norm", as they openly say they would have never considered one if the company hadn't said they weren't making them anymore.

Mustang? I agree they'll walk out of the showrooms like hotcakes.
Providing they don't price them stupidly and make sure to bring in normal base models and not just the upper premium models...otherwise it's going to be another slow-selling short-lived model that gets dumped after a few years because of low sales. In the USA, unless you're talking top end models or Shelby versions, they're mostly just a rather nice looking two door family car that any Joe can afford.
I have a horrible feeling Ford Australia is going to shoot itself in the foot with them though...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2015, 12:43 AM   #25
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't the natural next-car transition for a RWD Falcon or Commodore owner the equivalent BMW or Mercedes model? After all, there's nothing else equivalent on the market afaik.

("subject to finance"!)
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2015, 12:54 AM   #26
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still reminded of the words of the salesman when we bought a G6E a few years back...I was the first person in a couple of months who had even bothered to ask to see under the bonnet.

Do people still honestly, truthfully believe any more than maybe 10% of car buyers even care which end is doing the driving in a family sedan? It's become a non-issue these days, apart from a vanishingly-small number of enthusiasts, and a car company doesn't thrive and survive by spending big to cater for the smallest number of buyers...they make money by catering to the majority of buyers.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2015, 02:19 AM   #27
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Isn't the natural next-car transition for a RWD Falcon or Commodore owner the equivalent BMW or Mercedes model? After all, there's nothing else equivalent on the market afaik.

("subject to finance"!)
I will be going for a full size SUV next personally, or maybe even a second hand Silverado/F150. I don't think I could settle for a 5 series/C class or at the other end of the price spectrum, Mondeo
Old 04-02-2015, 06:38 AM   #28
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Unless the media treats the fwd commodore with an amazing amount off love....it's stuffed from the start. There's no way in hell a car that's an Australian icon can become exactly what everyone hates to begin with. It'll take two more v8supercar teams....another 10 years of major sponsorship rugby deals and the ussual Holden dribble fest on tv, too get people to accept it.

The ONLY way I can imagine it working is if, like the xr6t, the pick of the bunch(in this case the AwD version) can be had way down the food chain, like the xr6t was. But not just in hsv form.....Can't see that being enough!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #29
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post

("subject to finance"!)

If they could afford it...sure...but that's not reality, that's car forums talk.

As long as it starts, is safe, can get the kids to school and doesn't use a pile of petrol, has an ipod interface then it's a winner....and noone cares about RWD.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #30
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they should have a re-born FPV and provide the hot (Australian) Version of the Ranger and have a Factory ecoboost development program to get more from the ecoboost before you take delivery on all models, maybe not full FPV models just a tweaks and a small badge like walkinshaw does.
I can see the ranger taking over as no.1 seller soon if Ford market it right.
a ranger with a tuned 3.5l V6 ecoboost would be nice...
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post