Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile NT Could Extend De-Restricted Speed Limits.

The Northern Territory government could permanently de-restrict speed limits on select open roads after a year-long trial helped reduce road fatalities.

The Territory government has confirmed that open speed limits will be extended beyond February 1 this year while its Department of Transport undertakes a full review of road use trends, vehicle crash data and police enforcement data from a 12 month evidence-based trial. Speed limits were abolished along two stretches of open highway spanning 272km last year, with the trial originally capped at 12 months.

Provisional figures reveal that in the first 11 months, there were no recorded fatalities. The government argues 12 fatalities were recorded on the same patch of road between 2004 and 2013, with speed ruled out as a key factor in each incident.

"Following the commencement of the open speed trial on a 200 kilometre stretch of road from south of Barrow Creek to north of Alice Springs, and an extension of the trial section to include a 72 kilometre stretch of road on the Stuart Highway between the Ali Curung Rail Overpass to just north of Barrow Creek, the Northern Territory Department of Transport will now undertake a review of the trial to determine its success and future viability," Territory deputy Chief Minister Peter Chandler said.

"The Department of Transport is also currently undertaking a road user survey to gain an understanding and assess qualitative experiences of road users and their behaviour on the trial section of the road. The trial will continue during the review period."

Despite successful results from the trial, not everyone is happy.

Open speed limits were scrapped in the Territory in 2007 and replaced with a 130km/h limit in return for an increase in Commonwealth funding. From that time until 2012, more people died on Northern Territory roads (307) than in the six years before the change (292). The Country Liberal Party promised a review of the capped speed limit ahead of the 2012 Territory election, which it won.

Elise McLay, from the Northern Territory division of the Transport Workers Union, said the government could be risking lives if it proceeded with permanently lifting speed limits.

"We'll be interested to see what the results of the trial are, but the Transport Workers Union's position has always been consistent on the issue: speed kills," she said.

"Transport is the most dangerous industry in Australia … We need government action that will make our roads safer for everyone, not more dangerous."

The general manager of the Automobile Association of the Northern Territory, Edon Bell, accused the government of lacking transparency.

"The government has point blank refused to provide their reasoning behind the introduction of the trial, they're simply playing out on that election promise," he said.

"Whilst there hasn't been an incident in the trial area, the roads in the Northern Territory are officially rated three stars and less. The highways simply aren't in any position to support an open speed limit area.

"What we would ask is that the government is making a decision based on evidence-based research, they look at the full spectrum of evidence, open their books and let the general public see that evidence."
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/n...09-12kgzb.html
My comment : speed kills ??? every k over is a killer ???????? just shows what BS the cops use to justify speed cameras....

Last edited by csv8; 10-01-2015 at 04:38 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2015, 05:09 PM   #2
Lunch
Wait, what?

Default Re: NT Could Extend De-Restricted Speed Limits.

Though ive never been to NT i do remember hearing back then that their open limited roads were going to become limited and was honestly disapointed, i liked the fact that there were still places in this vast, beautiful country that were out of reach of a speed camera.
Its hard to make money off roads with open speed limits.
Good to see not every state is driven by revenue from their roads (Victoria, im looking at you)
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2015, 06:51 PM   #3
carwant.com.au
carwant.com.au

And they still wont consider raising Hume HWY (Syd to Melb) to at least 130KM.....
Why?
carwant.com.au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

so all the evidence says it is not dangerous, and yet all those 'interested parties' still keep on rolling out the 'speed kills' mantra.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a shame that the NT Government is not over here. Campaigning in the Qld Elections at the moment. Because if they did. They would be getting my vote.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-01-2015, 09:57 PM   #6
sexyxe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would be good to get them open. I've only been up here during the 130km/h era but even then I sit at 130km/h and there hasn't been a time I've been overtaken as the overwhelming majority sit at 100-110km/h.

That's my only concern, is closure rate with traffic. A 4wd with a trailer doing 90 comes up really quickly, I can't imagine doing 140-150-160 and how fast thoughs cars would come up.
sexyxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2015, 12:51 AM   #7
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppy ears View Post
And they still wont consider raising Hume HWY (Syd to Melb) to at least 130KM.....
Why?
Should be derestricted like it was in the 1970s , and back then it was a single lane goat track with no limit. I long for the day I could make melb to syd in 4 hours, as flying, queuing, boarding, luggage and taxis take about as much time anyway...
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2015, 12:55 AM   #8
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

I've been driving in the unlimited zone for the last 12mths and it's really no different to driving elsewhere. 95% of people do 130km/h or below (great cruising speed) and when it comes to overtaking being alert and watching on-coming traffic (if any) is the key to doing it safely.

Also consider that if you're driving at over 130km/h and you see an oncoming car attempting an overtake then generally you watch and consider the time required for them to get the job done and account for that in your speed too. At least that's how I operate anyway.

But like I said above, 95% of people are doing 130km/h and below anyway and when you go above that speed it's not for long curtesy of your fuel economy.

I'm all for it.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:33 AM   #9
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

It'd be nice if every state had section where one could go for a 200 km/h blast once in a blue moon to get it out of their system. I bet it would make these drivers more responsible and adherent to the limited roads then. Might affect the government's revenue stream though...
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2015, 01:48 AM   #10
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
It'd be nice if every state had section where one could go for a 200 km/h blast once in a blue moon to get it out of their system. I bet it would make these drivers more responsible and adherent to the limited roads then. Might affect the government's revenue stream though...
Well I couldn't get past 180km/h....mind you I think the stock limiter on a Territory is 180km/h anyway? That's with a 37c ambient temperature and chewing through 35L/100km for the effort too.

However, I only did that speed with no oncoming traffic on straight sections of road. When I saw a car coming for the opposite direction I immediately dropped my speed back down to 130-140km/h.

And now it's out of my system for a little while.

For the east coast though there'll never be unlimited zones again, but what we can hope for is 130km/h zones to be created. It just a perfect speed for long distance travel whilst also being quite safe in a modern vehicle.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2015, 02:11 AM   #11
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
If only tollways had no speed limit. Strip out any emergency u turn lanes and remove any obstructions or dangers from the side of the road and have smooth concrete barriers. Arent they privately owned and could get an exemption from the road rules? At least would be incentive to pay the toll.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-01-2015, 02:24 AM   #12
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyxe View Post
It would be good to get them open. I've only been up here during the 130km/h era but even then I sit at 130km/h and there hasn't been a time I've been overtaken as the overwhelming majority sit at 100-110km/h.

That's my only concern, is closure rate with traffic. A 4wd with a trailer doing 90 comes up really quickly, I can't imagine doing 140-150-160 and how fast thoughs cars would come up.

i lived in the NT for 2 years when it was open speed limit.. darwin to alice 1500kms in 9.5 hours sitting on 180km/h and doing that speed and you come across a black fella car doing 60km/h ..yeah it comes up quick and goes past quick too
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #13
XAGT1972
XAGT351

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyxe View Post

Drove thought the NT a few times in the 90's and in winter when the roads were littered with backpackers in Kombis chugging along at 60 ... you sure came up on them quick, so you had to DRIVE. I think it worked in the NT because the main highways were in good condition, they're pretty straight with wide verges (good visibility), and very little traffic.

One of my best motoring moments happened on my first trip West to East. Hit the derestricted speed signs South of Katherine, was sitting on 160 spotted a cop car coming towards me. So after years of driving in WA I get doubts about if there really is no speed limit! So I ease off to 130, pass the cop car and they wave as we pass. Phew, relief, and didn't cruise slower than 140 until the Queensland border later in the day.

In reality the average speeds I did were maybe only 10-20 kph higher than I did in WA, mainly because fuel consumption started to become in issue (my average speed in WA may have been little more than 110). But over a day that was another 100-200 k's and it was more comfortable as you weren't contantly scanning for highway patrol cars, and on the brakes every time you spotted a white falcadore in the distance.

Gotta love the NT for doing what's right for them.
XAGT1972 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2015, 04:16 PM   #14
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seems that all the scaremongering about hoons from other states going to NT and driving like idiots and killing themselves and others when the trial began didn't happen either!!!!!!
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #15
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just set the cruse control at 210 KM/H and it just floats along and I don't think cars are coming up fast at all and if I do have to wash off some speed all it takes a second or 2 to sit back on 100 again, it's all about getting your eye in and knowing your cars ability and High performance brake pads are just magic at speed and the thing is most people have no idea of just how good brakes can be as it would just blow there mind of the power they can have.

Some people are still back in the 1960's days of quick fades drum brakes..

I bought a new XG Longreach ute back in 1993 it had 4 wheel disks but from 210 KMH and hitting the brakes as hard as you could it got brake fade by the time it got to 60 KM/H and it was all to do with the standard brake pads being rubbish I put metal king pads on it as that was the best I could get back then and it was real good, but when I got the VS commodore I put Ultimate on it and they were magic washing off speed just so easy even my VY SS at 260 KM/H they have just magic stoping power as you don't even have to stand on the brake hard.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2015, 09:04 PM   #16
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look I'm all for open speeds on suitable roads, but I hope you don't do those speeds at night...not just because of the obvious danger from wildlife, but even with brakes that have magic stopping power at those speeds I doubt they would pull you up within the distance that your headlights allow you to see.

Having said that, pretty sure the open limits will soon be removed because every other day there is mass carnage from someone doing 200+ cresting a hill and coming across a slow moving tourist vehicle, and the roads are now in a very poor state due to the feds pulling funding. Wait, what do you mean none of that is occurring - it must be, because all that and more was predicted here: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11304971
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2015, 09:57 PM   #17
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
Look I'm all for open speeds on suitable roads, but I hope you don't do those speeds at night...not just because of the obvious danger from wildlife, but even with brakes that have magic stopping power at those speeds I doubt they would pull you up within the distance that your headlights allow you to see.
Of course not. Just like you we can recognise the dangers there. 130km/h is already well pushing it at night let alone any quicker.

Also take note that regardless of whether a speed limit exists, you can be booked for drive in a manner dangerous based purely on your chosen speed vs conditions.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:09 AM   #18
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All good Simple6, my mistake for not quoting the post immediately above mine as my comment was directed at that member and not all Territorians that have posted here.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:31 PM   #19
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
All good Simple6, my mistake for not quoting the post immediately above mine as my comment was directed at that member and not all Territorians that have posted here.
Of cause you only drive to your capacity that you can see and I have driven at 200 km/h at night with spotlights many a time and I know that some people even 80 km/h is to much to hack in the day light with a good road.
Hell I have done 280 km/h at night I think as I only seen it doing 10500 RPM on my bike once but that was only because I had to.

But it's not about "trying" to speed at all it's about just being comfortable at what you are doing. if you try to drive fast just for the hell of it showing off or such rubbish you are on thin ice.

Now one does not just sit on a speed to prove anything and in some spots you drop your speed to suite the conditions and one does not do real high speeds if you don't know the road well.

At my age I don't have to prove anything to anyone as I will just drive to what I am comfortable with.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #20
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deleted - I should know better

Last edited by Iggle Piggle; 12-01-2015 at 08:03 PM.