Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 26-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
AAXR8

Exclamation Carwashers using WINDEX on paint in Melbourne

I was in Melbourne the other day & my XR had fluid tipped over the Rear Quarter panel & I cannot tell you what it was or were it came from because I check the car nearly every second day for anything new because its black. And I went to this carwash that had ALOT of Brand new BMW's, Audis, Mercedes you name it and it was there so I thought this place must be a good Carwash. I got it Cut & Polished 3 weeks ago by a detailing company not a Carwash because I would rather that done by a professional! So anyway I said just wash it with soap and dry it! Pretty simple Instructions and when it came out of the wash these two guys went over to dry it & they had spray bottles with Blue Liquid in them & I went over & by the time I got there they just about finished! And the car looked good but I got one of the cleaners & said, I just wanted it dried why are you spraying that Blue stuff on & what is it!! And he said its like a wax Good stuff for the water it makes it bead! So he wouldn't tell me so I grabbed another guy & said whats in your bottles that you spray on the cars & he said WINDEX!! I have never heard of that being put on the paint before & the car has been washed twice to get any windex off but Can that Product do damage to paint?? Because I was looking around at all these Brand new cars that they were doing it to and that is why I am on here today to ASK if it is bad because I had words with the foreman & he said its fine we do it all the time! Its watered down & then he had the nerve to say we do it to Cars that are worth a lot more then yours! Don't worry its fine! So we had more words after that So Windex what do we think??? Is it safe???

, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

03 BA XR8 UTE WHITE IN COLOR!

Last edited by AAXR8; 26-07-2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Mistake fixed
Old 26-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Kryton

Default Re: Carwashers using WINDEX on paint in Melbourne

Its fine.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
AAXR8

Does it remove Wax or Clearcoat??
, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

Old 26-07-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

In reality the pollutants and contaminants in the air would do as much or more damage than Windex alone, however given Windex is actually a stripping agent of sorts, I dare say all your wax is gone but u wouldn't notice it.
Did you 'really' expect any different from these places ..... do u 'really' think they understand paint ??
I wouldn't let these donkeys wash my work ute.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
8 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
AAXR8

Angry Re: Carwashers using WINDEX on paint in Melbourne

Sh#*, Thats what ****** me off!! I just payed alot for the cut & polish to! But I had to get this fluid off my car!! Can't win at the moment!!!
Is there a way you can tell if your wax has been removed?? If the paint still slides nice is it ok or if it sticks is that when the wax is gone???
!!
247 RWKW

Old 26-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Waxed gives a slick finish that you want
This user likes this post:
Old 26-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I mean no disrespect, but why don't you just go to the auto parts store purchase a quality canuba wax and wax it, no panic and you know it's protected

With my work car I wash n wax n vac my car every week. Once a month I get a good hand car wash to give a good once over

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
AAXR8

It still feels ok !, Its not gripping so hopefully it did not strip the wax off!
!!
247 RWKW

Old 26-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAXR8 View Post
I was in Melbourne the other day & my XR had fluid tipped over the Rear Quarter panel & I cannot tell you what it was or were it came from because I check the car nearly every second day for anything new because its black. And I went to this carwash that had ALOT of Brand new BMW's, Audis, Mercedes you name it and it was there so I thought this place must be a good Carwash. I got it Cut & Polished 3 weeks ago by a detailing company not a Carwash because I would rather that done by a professional! So anyway I said just wash it with soap and dry it! Pretty simple Instructions and when it came out of the wash these two guys went over to dry it & they had spray bottles with Blue Liquid in them & I went over & by the time I got there they just about finished! And the car looked good but I got one of the cleaners & said, I just wanted it dried why are you spraying that Blue stuff on & what is it!! And he said its like a wax Good stuff for the water it makes it bead! So he wouldn't tell me so I grabbed another guy & said whats in your bottles that you spray on the cars & he said WINDEX!! I have never heard of that being put on the paint before & the car has been washed twice to get any windex off but Can that Product do damage to paint?? Because I was looking around at all these Brand new cars that they were doing it to and that is why I am on here today to ASK if it is bad because I had words with the foreman & he said its fine we do it all the time! Its watered down & then he had the nerve to say we do it to Cars that are worth a lot more then yours! Don't worry its fine! So we had more words after that So Windex what do we think??? Is it safe???
stop being so lazy
wash your own car or stop sooking how others wash it
Old 26-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #10
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's no such thing as a "good" car wash Cafe, they're quick and nasty.
The goal for them is to push through as many cars as possible, therefor using the quickest, crappest and cheapest products available. Windex? If they wanted to use a spraywax, there's a million different brands they could use with much better results.

Also sorry to say, but it was a bit silly of you to spend a lot of money on a professional detail, then take it to a car wash cafe, what did you expect?
If you had it detailed, I'd have thought you'd stick to washing it yourself after, especially since it's a Black car.
3 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

You want something done properly then do it yourself, instead of taking it to foreign students most likely getting paid cash in hand and working illegally.
3 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
Itsme
Experienced Member

Windex is a cleaner & will not harm your paint, not much different to other car washing detergents that also removes wax polish eventually.

Stop stressing!
Old 26-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #13
AAXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
stop being so lazy
wash your own car or stop sooking how others wash it
Read the thread properly and who said I don't!!! I get cars washed by me all the time when I am home but I was in Melbourne!!
There's always someone on this thread who dosn't read the thread properly! Its about windex being sprayed on cars, Not me washing Cars and thats none of your buisness anyway what I do!!!
!!
247 RWKW

Old 26-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #14
AAXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
You want something done properly then do it yourself, instead of taking it to foreign students most likely getting paid cash in hand and working illegally.
Again what is with everyone having a go at someone who takes there car to a wash 1 time when your not home **** me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!
247 RWKW

Old 26-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #15
AAXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Nate View Post
There's no such thing as a "good" car wash Cafe, they're quick and nasty.
The goal for them is to push through as many cars as possible, therefor using the quickest, crappest and cheapest products available. Windex? If they wanted to use a spraywax, there's a million different brands they could use with much better results.

Also sorry to say, but it was a bit silly of you to spend a lot of money on a professional detail, then take it to a car wash cafe, what did you expect?
If you had it detailed, I'd have thought you'd stick to washing it yourself after, especially since it's a Black car.
Read the thread I had a fluid on my rear Quarter panel that I did not know what it was so it had to come off!!! AND I WAS NOT HOME These days who knows if its Brake fluid!! My mate gone done a couple of weeks ago & know his cars ******!!
!!
247 RWKW

Old 26-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #16
FPV 5TH

As far as I know windex contains ammonia so it wouldn't be too wise to be using it as a regular product on your paintwork
4 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #17
Nova 8

Take a chill pill

For future reference if you get some "fluid" on your car go to a self serve car wash and give it a good soaking with water. Spot free rinse is generally RO water which is fairly pure and will neutralize any acid that may damage your paint. You should know if it's brake fluid as it's fairly distinct.
Old 26-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #18
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV 5TH View Post
As far as I know windex contains ammonia so it wouldn't be too wise to be using it as a regular product on your paintwork
Correct. Straight Windex will degrade window tints as well.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

4 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #19
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I suppose the lessoned learned here is never go to a car wash where they have people washing the cars, if you do need to have your car washed and your out of town, go to a car wash where you can use the hose/spray yourself to give it a quick going over and then wash it properly yourself when you get home and have the time.

You just can not trust people with your pride and joy when they don’t have it in their heart to start with.
4 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #20
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Windex website’s FAQ says all Windex products (except for two) contain detergents, solvents, fragrance, Ammonia-D® and alcohol and should not be used on surfaces where Ammonia is not safe to use.

The two products that do not contain Ammonia are Windex Multi-Surface Vinegar and Windex Outdoor Multi-Surface.

As other have said, it always pays to buy your own known products and do the job yourself.

Personally I’d never let anyone other than a professional detailer wash my car and more so if it’s black.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #21
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate don't get your knickers in a twist, windex will only take the wax off, just rewax it when you get home.

we head out for months at a time, car gets pretty filthy, a bucket, some car detergent and chamois doesn't take up much room, don't trust others to wash your car unless you are willing to accept the damage.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
3 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #22
Nova 8

Odds are it was watered down to all hell, not for the protection of your paint but to save cost. Windex helps dodgy detailers get that streak free shine.
Old 26-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #23
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be more worried about the all purpose rags they use on paintwork
9 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2014, 11:50 PM   #24
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Yeah seen them use it before. Wouldn't go within a cooeee of these places here in adelaide unless i was driving a hindustan ambassador. Went with a mate once and had a coffee and the little blokes their basically said Yeah they do exepnsive european models worth more than our beasts but the owners didnt really give a ******* as long as they looked clean. Basic response clean it I am late for lattes with the girls or I am in a board meeting. And the one up the road from where i work in unley charge big prices up to $100 for the platinum wash. Lots of euro models in there.

On a funny note had a mate years ago would polish his car with Mr Sheen. I kid you not. He swore by it. Haven't seen him in years.

I used to laugh every friggin time cause his missus would tell him he was nuts because he would go through **** loads of Mr Sheen on his XB.
Old 27-07-2014, 12:00 AM   #25
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Perhaps the fluid caused a rash?? Windex is known to cure rashes....

If your car doesn't get a cold this Winter, you will know why ;)

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
2 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #26
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah!......mr sheen, bikies swear by it.

B.I.L. (clean freak) polished his linoleum floor with Mr Sheen......looked fantastic but you couldn't stand or walk on it for a week, didn't have to go to the ice rink.

I didn't go near it, if I broke a leg or a hip my missus would have me put down,.... at the vet's.

I remember, years ago in one of those "revolving brush" type car washes, some young wags (little mischieviuos devils they are) decided to tie nuts and bolts onto the large revolving drum brushes........caught a few cars before it was shut down, vehicles were pretty mashed up.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 27-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #27
Nova 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
I remember, years ago in one of those "revolving brush" type car washes, some young wags (little mischieviuos devils they are) decided to tie nuts and bolts onto the large revolving drum brushes........caught a few cars before it was shut down, vehicles were pretty mashed up.
Some drunken middle aged men tied a bunch of forks to one down my way a while back. I remember seeing the footage from a cop buddy. Funny as hell looking back tbh, but damn it's a **** move.
Old 27-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #28
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I guess this is another case of you get what you pay for, I'm sure a detailer would use the correct product but would charge more for their time

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 27-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #29
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

gee settle down
maybe they shouldve said prob bettter to wipe the fluid off yourself and wash and detail the car when you get back home?

never let someone else do your car if you dont know them or not sure of products they use
Old 27-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #30
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

why would you get your car professionally detailed then go to those car washes run by Donkeys then complain about what they used fair dinkum but did you learn your lesson now, i wouldn't let those goons wash my paddock bomb let alone my pride n joy, i always drive pass them and shack my head in disbelief. one day i seen then polishing a black out in the sun THEY HAVE NO IDEA OF CAR CARE

but back to reality go and get yourself some spray n wax or even better some liquid Carnauba wax and apply 2x thin coats and you should be good to go

cheers Dean
Closed Thread