Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-02-2014, 12:41 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post White Collar Jobs to go..Ford & Holden Dealerships likey to close.

THE collapse of car manufacturing will wipe out thousands of white-collar jobs at Toyota, Holden and Ford — and, contrary to earlier claims, it will also likely lead to the closure of dozens of Holden and Ford dealerships across Australia.

A combined total of more than 2,000 office workers support the manufacturing and logistics operations at Australia’s three car makers and their roles will be redundant once the factories close by the end of 2017 and Toyota, Holden and Ford become primarily sales and marketing operations.

It will bring the true tally of job losses to about 8,000 at the car makers alone, once white-collar workers join their 2,500 colleagues on the factory floor at Toyota, the 1,700 at Holden and the 1,500 at Ford.

“There will be significant (white-collar) job losses across all three brands, no question,” a Toyota executive told News Corp Australia.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/busine...-1226835343394

Old 24-02-2014, 12:45 AM   #2
gtfpv
GT

Default Re: White Collar Jobs to go..Ford & Holden Dealerships likey to close.

and many other job losses like transport , and componant manufacturers, accountants, cleaners etc etc . runs into some were saying upto 80 000 jobs related to car manufacturing
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2014, 12:53 AM   #3
Nova 8

More people should have bought Australian. I was talking to one of my brothers work mates (holden employees), he was having a whinge about lacking options once holden closes due to being there his entire work life of about 8yrs. He failed to see the humor when I pointed out that both his and his wife's cars are foreign.

Hard times are ahead, its gonna be a buyer market as people can't afford repayments. I know of many holden employees that have already been turned down for loans since the announcement.
Old 24-02-2014, 01:31 AM   #4
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ahh, the media beating the "dealers will close!" drum again! Dealers open and close all the time, NONE are going broke because they wont have an aussie made car to sell, which accounts for a small part of their business.
Lets get some perspective, the Holden guys at elizabeth will all leave with money in their pockets, and govt assistance to train and find further employment. Holden accounts for 1.5% of south australias GDP. We are facing a tough few years economically due to factors way beyond just loosing the ability to build our own cars.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 24-02-2014, 01:32 AM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I can't see it affecting dealers if they are smart. Most are multi franchised now and have been quite successful doing so. Plus Ford,Holden and Toyota will be bringing product in to fill the gaps of local. Things like transport will be affected but will make up the difference with new / extra imports being sold.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I was of the opinion that Ford was actually offering more models than ever over the next few years...
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Some Ford stealerships will close, but I don't think it has anything to do with the manufacturing shutting up shop...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #8
Focused

I'm not surprised. I've noticed a lot of Ford dealers have been shrinking or dieing over the last few years but Holden, on the other hand, have been growing (possibly with equally as large overdrafts?). There's a large number of dealers, and some of their yards are massive! I fear that their income is going to be hit hard by the loss of the Commodore as well as the buyer backlash I think they'll get because a lot of the bogans are going to feel quite betrayed (about closing local manufacturing.) That as well as the fact that, unlike Ford, Holden's non-local range of cars is quite crap (Barina, Cruze, Captiva, Malibu, Colorado are all class-average at best) and that's all they'll be left with.

Sad times. :(
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I was of the opinion that Ford was actually offering more models than ever over the next few years...
I believe that's true but I'd imagine the profit margins would be smaller than what they'd be used to with the Falcon and Territory (especially the high-end models).
Old 24-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Holden dealers will be hit hardest. They have the largest number of dealers in Australia and will lose much volume once the Commodore is gone.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #11
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cannot see how this is going to make a huge difference to dealers.

Isn’t one of the reasons why Falcon and Holden leaving is because of the number of sales. Only thing that will change with the dealers is no Falcon and Commodore.

Toyota I cannot comment on.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post

Isn’t one of the reasons why Falcon and Holden leaving is because of the number of sales. Only thing that will change with the dealers is no Falcon and Commodore.

Can't see it affecting dealerships in any way. There are other vehicles besides Falcons and Commodores at the dealerships...in fact the Falcon and Commodore are in the minority when you walk into a dealership and they'll be simply replaced by something else when they're gone.

An unpopular low selling car is just that, and losing one model that no one is buying much anyway isn't going to hurt dealerships.

Toyota is an odd one...the Camry is made in plenty of places besides Australia, in both RHD and LHD. If people are so enamoured of having a Camry, then Toyota with its vast distribution network would be able to easily source them from somewhere else.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #13
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post

I think it'll have less of an effect on Ford as most of the Ford dealers I see out here are full of Rangers and Focis. Holden, on the other hand, are still selling around 3000 Commodores a month (I think?) and the Ute as well so that'll be a decent drop in volume.
Old 24-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused View Post
I'm not surprised. I've noticed a lot of Ford dealers have been shrinking or dieing over the last few years but Holden, on the other hand, have been growing (possibly with equally as large overdrafts?). There's a large number of dealers, and some of their yards are massive! I fear that their income is going to be hit hard by the loss of the Commodore as well as the buyer backlash I think they'll get because a lot of the bogans are going to feel quite betrayed (about closing local manufacturing.) That as well as the fact that, unlike Ford, Holden's non-local range of cars is quite crap (Barina, Cruze, Captiva, Malibu, Colorado are all class-average at best) and that's all they'll be left with.

Sad times. :(
Not really... The bulk of Falcon and Commodore are sold to fleets like Hertz & Avis. If you seen how much money was made on these deals you would laugh (sometimes they are lucky to make $50 per car) but its all above volume.

I think there will be plenty of Ford and Holden dealers relieved that they no longer have to continue selling local content at a loss, for Ford dealers the only Falcons they are making money on are FPV's and even then the margins aren't huge!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #15
Trump
bitch lasagne

In a nutshell, Ford dealers are in a far better position to benefit than Holden dealers are post 2016-17. Their product lineup is far better than what Holden have.

If Ford Australia were serious about maintaining a sustainable presence in Australia, they would pull the dealers into line ASAP and get rid of the atrocious after sales attitude they currently offer and replace it with an after sales service.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #16
Itsme
Experienced Member

Here we go more doom & gloom tripe!!!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #17
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Here we go more doom & gloom tripe!!!
Here we go, more head up ones ar$e tripe.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #18
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what a load of cr*p, very confident dealers will not be effected, Ford in particular.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #19
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
I believe that's true but I'd imagine the profit margins would be smaller than what they'd be used to with the Falcon and Territory (especially the high-end models).
You'd think the profit margins would be pretty good on Everest, (re-badged) Territory, and Mustang...to name a few.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #20
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Here we go, more facing reality that times are a-chaingin' and people just don't want large rear drive (as if they care about that anyway) sedans anymore.

The manufacturers are infected with the same rot, and have kept on doing what they'd always done, thinking it was the heavily protected 1960's and 1970's when a captive-audience public who would blindly be told what they needed by a smug car industry, who knew the buyers had little choice but to buy whatever under-equipped mediocre stuff they wheeled out. When the flood of much better equipped foreign cars started flooding the market, they were unprepared. Same thing now.

Time to accept reality and move on.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #21
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
You think dealers sell only local produced cars only & rely on that alone for sale figures & profit, don't think so.

Your head up yours !!!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #22
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
You'd think the profit margins would be pretty good on Everest, (re-badged) Territory, and Mustang...to name a few.
You're probably right although I was thinking more about the Fiesta, Focus, Ecosport and Kuga which I imagine would have fairly small profits.
Old 24-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Toyota dealerships won't be effected as they will just bring the Camry in from Thailand, Ford might take a little hit, but Holden will suffer the worst as they rely on Commodore so much. They will be taking a bit hit in sales cause the rest of their line-up is rubbish.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #24
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm as sorry to see them go as the anyone on here, but we need to be realistic - the simple fact is that no one is buying them.

Ford are presently building what - 500 Falcons a month? Take out the rental fleet operators (AVIS, Hertz, Budget & Co) as well as government fleet buyers, and how many of those are actually being sold through Ford dealerships around Australia?

The way I see it, the dealer's bottom line can only improve with the passing of the Falcon. The dealership has a set number of staff to prepare, sell and service vehicles and his overheads are X dollars per month. Why would he want a product taking up 20% of display space and dealership expenses, yet accounting for 5% of monthly sales?

You wouldn't do it if you operated a store that sold fridges, and motor vehicles are no different - they are just another commodity in the market place.

It's only silly buggers like you and I that form an emotional attachment to them!

Russ.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #25
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I didn't realise they were Commodore and Falcon dealers...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #26
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Deleted.
Old 24-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #27
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
You're probably right although I was thinking more about the Fiesta, Focus, Ecosport and Kuga which I imagine would have fairly small profits.
Considering how heavily discounted Falcons (of any trim level) have to be these days (to sell) dealerships would probably be better off selling one of the models you mentioned.

There will always be halo models that earn more coin per sale, they just won't be Falcon based anymore.
Old 24-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #28
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't want to sound like a morbid sook, but do we really need ANOTHER thread stating the obvious about what will happen when ford/holden Aus stop producing cars?
Yes I can simply ignore these threads but there are too many now, am I the only one who thinks this??
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #29
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I think they are over blowing the amount of people losing their jobs with this. Parts suppliers would be out of business already if they are just relying on Falcon and Commodore for work. Dealerships are going no where.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2014, 10:18 PM   #30
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
I think they are over blowing the amount of people losing their jobs with this. Parts suppliers would be out of business already if they are just relying on Falcon and Commodore for work. Dealerships are going no where.
It's called sensationalised media.
Exaggeration is their best weapon.