Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Thumbs down Car making and profits: mutually exclusive?

I'v often struggled with the idea that it is too expensive to make things here. Now that the domino effect of the death of the car makers is entering its final act, one thing looms large with them: they all make the same sort of car that people arent just into anymore.

Apart from the Territory, Ford, Holden and Toyota are all making sedans. Don't even mention the Cruze, the car is a joke compared to its competitors.

Assuming that you could keep your costs under control, and offered a car that was popular and able to be exported, could you do it profitably?

Given that the rise of the SUV is something that has occurred globally, Australia is not some unique market where everyone is running to SUVs and everyone elsewhere is still in Trabants or whatever.

Could SUV's or a pickup vehicle similar to the Ford Super Duty be profitably made in Australia? You'd need volume, or obscene markups if you didnt have volume. Is there a middle ground?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Car making and profits: mutually exclusive?

Ford looked quite hard at whether the Ranger would work here, and it probably could have if it wasnt for our Free trade agreement with Thailand.
But they would also had to build the Everest to have made the numbers work.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
Windsor220
Now Fordless

The thing is the Falcon and Commodore were unique to Australia so it made sense to make them here. Yes I think you could build SUVs or small cars here but they are already being built somewhere else and cheaper so there is no point. I dont really see why Toyota ever built the Camry here. Didnt make much sense.

Someone else mentioned it in another thread recently that we have never had our own manufacturer. They are just Aussie divisions from another company in another country. Ford and Holden from America. Toyota, Mitsubishi and Nissan from Japan. If we had an Australian owned car manufacturer then they could have changed to something more suitable as times changed instead of packing up and leaving. They would have been calling the shots themselves.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
The thing is the Falcon and Commodore were unique to Australia so it made sense to make them here. Yes I think you could build SUVs or small cars here but they are already being built somewhere else and cheaper so there is no point. I dont really see why Toyota ever built the Camry here. Didnt make much sense.

Someone else mentioned it in another thread recently that we have never had our own manufacturer. They are just Aussie divisions from another company in another country. Ford and Holden from America. Toyota, Mitsubishi and Nissan from Japan. If we had an Australian owned car manufacturer then they could have changed to something more suitable as times changed instead of packing up and leaving. They would have been calling the shots themselves.

Saab has shown how a global but relatively small Auto manufacturer will struggle to remain competitive and up to date, and will eventually be taken over by one of the majors when things get tough. The major players budgets are far to imposing to make a comparable car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
PlukaDuck

ROAD-WARRIOR.......Great post.
Problem is Australians consumers need to set the terms.
If they buy a foreign car rather than say a Locally built ford territory then
sooner or later they will stop making the territory here.
At the end of the day the consumer dictates the market.
Australians are bringing this all on themselves.
Best-selling SUVs in January
1. Holden Captiva - 2155 . ............Foreign
2. Mazda CX-5 - 1625 ............Foreign
3. Hyundai ix35 - 1301 ............Foreign
4. Nissan X-Trail - 1294. ...........Foreign
5. Subaru Forester - 1246 ............Foreign
6. Ford Territory - 1161
7. Honda CR-V - 1117. ...........Foreign
8. Toyota Prado - 1048 ............Foreign
9. Nissan Dualis - 1033. ...........Foreign
10. Toyota Kluger - 960. ...........Foreign
Old 10-02-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car industry is similar to airline industry. Massive over capacity in the global market...some companies work out how to make a (small) profit all the time. others make profits now and then but then get lazy and drop the ball. Some companies have never made a profit and probably never will but they have backing from somebody or a government who is happy to top mpney in to keep it alive. Other companies just disappear.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2014, 09:49 PM   #7
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

can the car industry work here? Absolutely.

but I think only with relatively small volume niche products. There is no way we can ever get the real economies of scale without exports, and the labor costs and FTA's wit the Asian markets mean we will always loose out.

Look at the small successful companies in England though - Caterham, Lotus, Triumph, Morgan - even Rolls, Aston and Jag - they make high profit margin low volume products so I reckon it's still possible here with the right product.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2014, 10:04 PM   #8
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

I agree with Simon above.

Australians are quite wealthy - on average (at the moment!) - compared to our Nth American or Euro cousins.

If only those damn idiot Captiva buyers bought a Territory! And if the NSW and Qld govts werent traitors too. They didnt have a high enough Aussie % in their fleets.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post

but I think only with relatively small volume niche products. There is no way we can ever get the real economies of scale without exports, and the labor costs and FTA's wit the Asian markets mean we will always loose out.

Look at the small successful companies in England though - Caterham, Lotus, Triumph, Morgan - even Rolls, Aston and Jag - they make high profit margin low volume products so I reckon it's still possible here with the right product.
Exactly what I was thinking. Niche is the only way forward but of course would still need relevant support.

That way our high labour cost and everything else is irrelevant. People already pay stupid amounts for high end cars here in comparison to the rest of the world.

The only problem would be overcoming the reputation (perceived or actual) that has no doubt played a part in the demise of both Holden and Ford.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #10
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ_Smooth View Post
Saab has shown how a global but relatively small Auto manufacturer will struggle to remain competitive and up to date, and will eventually be taken over by one of the majors when things get tough. The major players budgets are far to imposing to make a comparable car.
Saab contributed to their own demise by selling underdone vehicles that were technically bland & not very innovative. An new totally Australian car manufacturer starting from scratch with plenty of $$$ & a niche cleansheet design that targets the needs of its core market with everything the Saab's lacked could be successful if there's enough vision & determination imo.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #11
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
can the car industry work here?

Lotus lost 167m quid last year
Caterham made a 600,000 quid profit in 2012
Jag appears to making a profit (hard to tell as the Indian owners lump the results togther with Land Rover) but did lose money for 30 years priior
Do Triumph make cars?
TVR appears to be dead forever now
Morgan makes a very modest profit some years
Aston lost 24 m quid in 2011 and 21 in 2012

Last edited by Spammy; 10-02-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #12
PlukaDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post

Australians are quite wealthy - on average (at the moment!) - compared to our Nth American or Euro cousins.

If only those damn idiot Captiva buyers bought a Territory! And if the NSW and Qld govts werent traitors too. They didnt have a high enough Aussie % in their fleets.
YEAH RIGHT . But agree with other

Australia’s Personal Debt Reported As Highest In The World
http://www.creditcardfinder.com.au/a...the-world.html
Old 10-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #13
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

All of those brands have very long and well regarded pedigrees --- name me a few start ups that have managed to survive, be profitable and grow beyond a cottage indurstry in the auto industry.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Yeah you are right Spammy, niche manufacturers rarely survive. Just look how many different owners and how many bankruptcy's Lamborghini has had, Maserati too. Lotus is basically going nowhere, TVR and all the others are already gone. Without the backing of a major manufacturer prepared to put the money in and with the cost sharing involved with sharing parts and platforms from other cars, you are basically dead in the water. The new Lambo Hurrican will share a platform with Audi R8 for example.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #15
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bentley and Rolls didnt make money for decades until the krauts bought them.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

This is what i'm talking about. But not 'niche' as in supercars, niche as in SUV's and commercial vehicles to fill that gap that will be left globally when Toyota retire the 79 series.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 10-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #17
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
I dont really see why Toyota ever built the Camry here. Didnt make much sense.
You'd be better looking at niche products, like cheap sports car (DRB) or ruggedized offroader. doing a mainstream car is getting too hard without protection or assistance.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #18
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Niche market SUV???

BMW already sell 4 different sizes of SUV with however many different engines/ Mercedes have 4 SUV sizes and loads of engine combos/ Audi have 3 SUV sizes with loads of differnet engines. Toyota, Mazda and Nissan all have god knows how many SUV variants. Jeep sell SUVs in every size...add in Fiat/Renault/PUG/VW/Kia/Huyndia and you get another 20 or so SUVs

What niche in the SUV market is currently not over catered for?
4 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2014, 11:17 PM   #19
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
Niche market SUV???

BMW already sell 4 different sizes of SUV with however many different engines/ Mercedes have 4 SUV sizes and loads of engine combos/ Audi have 3 SUV sizes with loads of differnet engines. Toyota, Mazda and Nissan all have god knows how many SUV variants. Jeep sell SUVs in every size...add in Fiat/Renault/PUG/VW/Kia/Huyndia and you get another 20 or so SUVs

What niche in the SUV market is currently not over catered for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
This is what i'm talking about. But not 'niche' as in supercars, niche as in SUV's and commercial vehicles to fill that gap that will be left globally when Toyota retire the 79 series.
And by way of reference Toyota sells roughly 6500 70 series Landcruisers globally - per month.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #20
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably a half decent business case for building a replacement for the 70 series == but not here in OZ given high cost of labour. I think Toyota/GM / Ford all worked that out sometime over the last few months,
Old 11-02-2014, 12:42 AM   #21
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we should be building wind turbines, or packaged power generators or trains or ships, flat pack houses, bridges. High value, complex, technological items where the labour cost and vagaries of international currency is partially irrelevant. We should be building things others cant and not giving our secrets away so they can build it after buying one.
Australians can make stuff, just not mass produced cars profitably. we need to think smart about building what others cant or wont.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2014, 12:57 AM   #22
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

[QUOTE=PlukaDuck]
1. Holden Captiva - 2155

Scary.

This is one of the reasons why the Australia car industry is gone to the dogs.

I'd hazard a guess the Craptiva is the cheapest SUV option?

Do people not test drive cars back to back anymore? It is the worst built out of the 10, yet is the best seller.........

I would love to see a survey of new car buyers, see what goes through their heads when purchasing. Not a lot for some I suspect!
Old 11-02-2014, 01:02 AM   #23
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
we should be building wind turbines, or packaged power generators or trains or ships, flat pack houses, bridges. High value, complex, technological items where the labour cost and vagaries of international currency is partially irrelevant. We should be building things others cant and not giving our secrets away so they can build it after buying one.
Australians can make stuff, just not mass produced cars profitably. we need to think smart about building what others cant or wont.

JP
Manufacturing is 7% of our economy and yes we need to play to our strenghts and concentrate on high value, high tech --- not building cars with a backdrop of a small local market, high labour costs, barriers to export and cars that are past their use by date.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:06 AM   #24
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=DoreSlamR;5018447]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlukaDuck
1. Holden Captiva - 2155

Scary.

This is one of the reasons why the Australia car industry is gone to the dogs.

I'd hazard a guess the Craptiva is the cheapest SUV option?

Do people not test drive cars back to back anymore? It is the worst built out of the 10, yet is the best seller.........

I would love to see a survey of new car buyers, see what goes through their heads when purchasing. Not a lot for some I suspect!
Buyers who really care about handling and precision build quality buy a BMW or Merc. Everyone else fights it out on features, cost and percived brand value.

Where does that leave a car that is not a Merc or BMW, has poor brand perception, is not a price leader and has limited features?
Old 11-02-2014, 01:19 AM   #25
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Yeah it's a tough market I know.

It's sad, Holden will be gone in a few years, but we'll still probably be able to buy these "gems" like Captiva and cruize and trax
Old 11-02-2014, 01:22 AM   #26
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How many of those Captiva buyers thought they were getting Australian made ? It is a Holden after all.

Kawasaki ZZR1100
Rockape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2014, 01:23 AM   #27
JG33

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post

If only those damn idiot Captiva buyers bought a Territory!
Funny you say that, friends of ours had a Territory sold it and bought a Captiva because it was cheaper to run than the Territory and they're well off.

Go figure.
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2014, 02:43 AM   #28
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

As a new father, I am petrified for the future of my children... what will people be doing for work in 20-30 years in Australia?
All the iron-ore will be gone...
Coffee will be $28/cup...
Where will our economy be?
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2014, 03:16 AM   #29
PlukaDuck

[QUOTE=Spammy;5018449]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post

Buyers who really care about handling and precision build quality buy a BMW or Merc. Everyone else fights it out on features, cost and percived brand value.

Where does that leave a car that is not a Merc or BMW, has poor brand perception, is not a price leader and has limited features?
Spammy.
Your dreaming if you think a merc and a BMW is ALL THAT.
There taxis in Europe. Just like the falcon and commodore is here.
Another example of a mislead ausrtralian believing he is something special because he drives a car that an advertisement says makes him special if he drives it.
Here is a link to your overpriced EURO TRASH being flogged to death by American muscle
http://www.streetfire.net/video/corv...ago_701287.htm
Old 11-02-2014, 03:21 AM   #30
PlukaDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
As a new father, I am petrified for the future of my children... what will people be doing for work in 20-30 years in Australia?
All the iron-ore will be gone...
Coffee will be $28/cup...
Where will our economy be?
I agree with you peps
But don't worry because there is enough iron ore in this country to last 300 years.
Brazil is the biggest iron ore producer in the world
Don't believe all the **** you read in the Australian media
I have worked all over the world in oil and gas and mining and believe me we are just a drop in the ocean here.
But unfortunately we are fast becoming a 2nd world country