Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:19 AM   #1
FGMKIIXR6

Default Insurance Claim Help - Very Unusual Incident

Hopefully this is the correct area for this, sorry if it isn't.

I'm hoping I could get some advice from some of you regarding what to do re an insurance claim in a very difficult situation. It will be a bit of a long read, so sorry in advance.

I was out driving my 2013 XR6 with a friend, who also has a 2013 XR6 at around 2:00am a few days ago and we were heading home when a car came out in front of me and almost hit me (They had a give way sign and it was a road where you can drive straight onto the road it changes into without turning). As a reaction my friend turned around and attempted to catch up to him (A Ford Territory who was speeding) to get his number plate as it was hard to distinguish as the Territory driver had a trailer on the back with motorbikes inside. In attempt to gain attention from the driver of the Territory my friend flashed his amber and white flashing lighting (which he uses for work) so they hopefully slowed down (They were doing up to 140km/h), eventually they did. My friend wrote down the number plate and he pulled over immediately waiting for me to catch up.

After that little incident we pulled over at a bus stop to discuss what happened when a VE Series II SS Commodore with an almost identical number plate to the Territory drove past. Once it did that it turned around at a set of traffic lights and came back towards us, veering into the bus stop nearing sideswiping the side of our cars. So because of that, we moved into a petrol station that was closed so we could take a break as we were driving for a fair while before hand. About 5 minutes later a late 1990's Commodore came speeding down the road and slammed his brakes on as he passed the petrol station, proceeded to do a burnout and came into the petrol station at high speed. My friend and I immediately ran to our cars to get out of there having no idea what was happening. For some reason my car was in drive and wouldn't start whilst my friend had already driven out. In the meantime this guy was next to us and as my friend drove off he chased him. In panic, my friend drove into a ditch (Luckily not damaging his car, no idea how! Just a lot of dirt and grass clumps in every part of the engine, diff, drivetrain etc.). By this time I had my car started and was behind the Commodore watching my friend crash. When he did crash, the Commodore slammed his brakes on as well as I so I didn't hit him. He put his car into reverse. As a reaction I did too so he didn't reverse into me, but for some reason I never put my foot on the accelerator, I just froze in panic and had no idea what to do. Needless to say, the Commodore reversed straight into the front of my car creating substantial damage and he drove off while we wrote down the cars rego. Immediately I was on the phone to the Police in huge shock and panic. Once they came they inspected our cars and took statements and went to check where those people lived. Apparently my car was drivable with something terribly wrong with my car (Driving straight is with the steering wheel one quarter turn to the left).
We were both in pretty bad shock still so we went behind the petrol station and calmed down just in case this person came back, for all we knew he had a gun.
After about 15 minutes we proceeded home when we saw the police officers again who turned around and pulled us over to explain a few things.

Turns out all the vehicles were related to the first incident. But they have lied to the Police. They claimed that my friend was trying to ram them off the road when he was following them for a short while and that there was a car (The VE SS) behind them with 4 witnesses of my friend attempting to impersonate a police officer. That VE Commodore was not behind them, I was over 2km behind with no car in front OR behind me. Anyway, the Police were pretty annoyed about the lights on my friends car which is allowed for his work purposes (He's been breathalized heaps of times and all they ask is for him to prove it's not red and blue and for work purposes). As we continued to explain what had occurred further the Police started accusing us of being hoons as we are both on our P Plates and it happens all the time around the area we were in (I live over 150km from where the incident occurred so had no idea about any of that). After a long long conversation with the Police I asked the question whether the person who intentionally rammed my car would have to pay the insurance (Keep in mind the service station has CCTV which would've recorded the entire incident). The Police said it was up to the insurance company as it's not a simple case of a "hit and run" as my friend was "impersonating police", an incident I had no involvement in. Furthermore, they were going on about us having the same car.

So anyway, the insurance company is now reviewing the case to see whether they'll cover the incident and if the person who rammed me will have to pay. According to the Police, it's not looking good and the claims person at RACV said it probably won't go in my favour. Note that I'm not even getting a fine for "impersonating police" or for anything for that matter, my friend is the one who may only possibly be getting one.

Which leads me to my question. Will my insurance company (RACV) cover what has occurred? They have police reports and they will have CCTV and the person even admitted to ramming me (He claimed we were chasing him) but in self defence. I was not involved in the alleged impersonating incident but am being associated with it as I was the one who was nearly hit.

Just to reiterate also. My friend is allowed those lights in his car for his work, they are not blue and red and were not on for an extensive period.

What will the insurance company do?

Why won't the Police believe us? Surely it can't be just because we are P Platers... I've never hooned in my life! Too much to live for...

What happens if the insurance company won't cover and the person who rammed me doesn't have to pay?

If the insurance company will cover, would it be cheaper to fix the car (Approximately $700 damage without body repairs) or pay for the repairs myself? My excess is $1900 and the additional body parts are just the front bumper, front upper and lower grille, left fog lights and left headlights (Unsure of costs). The bonnet escaped damage remarkably. When I was hit, it must've unlatched and was forced to open allowing it to miss any impact.

Sorry for all of this, I have no idea what to do and I'm hoping someone on here will have an idea what to do as no one I know can comprehend why the Police won't believe our story! Which is 100% true, I assure you.
I don't think I had ever been so scared in my life than that night.

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Insurance Claim Help - Very Unusual Incident

what were all you people doing all raged up at 2am

should have been in bed
Old 04-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Since no one's been charged, and from the long complicated story you've written, IMO your insurance claim will not be honoured but be prepared to be sued by the other parties insurance company.

Moral of the story: Beware of unintended consequences. No material damage occurred to start this chain of events. Leave all idiots alone, especially at night as you don't know how many of their tribe are waiting around the corner. In a local community/town everyone knows everyone, you're the hostile in their territory (excuse the pun).
This user likes this post:
Old 04-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Sounds like a nightmare or a really bad trip lol. Maybe go out in the driveway and see that your 2013 xr6 is still intact and it was all just a crazy dream
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
Sam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a long story to get to the issue with your car, front end damage. Another car involved, that reversed into you. Insurance normally finds in their favour.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Oh dear , the dramas . Should just let the car go and get out of the way in the first instance ..
Old 04-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #7
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

its why he reversed into u
it looks like you rear ended him

dosnt look good imo
id be buying an in car camera around this area with these peanut drivers

i dont think youll have much chance claiming anything tbh
you have no proof of what occurred
Old 04-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

This thread is just going to end in tears
Closed
3 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #9
Taily

So, after a percieved incident you and your mate go chasing trouble, it finds you and now you sit here trying to justify the end result?

If I could offer some advice (from someone who 25 odd years ago was perhaps a little similar in my outlook in life to where you're at now)... If you and your mate are going to react to everything in life like that from here on in, you're going to have an 'interesting' life. Tell us, what was your 'mate' going to do with the orginal vehicles rego number? Give it to the police? News for you friend, they'd have just ignored it and thrown the number in the bin after you left... Flashing the "work lights" at another car = impersonating police any way a reaonable person looks at it. You just don't do that sort of thing and expect to get away with it. That was seriously stupid.

What should have gone down was you both should have pulled over, saw that you were both OK, shook it off and then thought how lucky that the goose in the other car didn't hit either of you...

What you've both done is the reason that our insurance keeps rising...
Old 04-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #10
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

I would suggest that you are better off speaking to the correct people about this, rather than seeking advice here on a car forum. (Not real sure about the true ratio of real lawyers : internet experts..)
You may get the information you require here, you may not. The information you have given here, may potentially prejudice your claim..
Closed Thread