Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
JoshXR

Default 3D TV's

Hi all

Looking at a new tv in the next couple of days as my sony braid 47in LCD is on its way out (it's 7 years old)

As per the title looking at possible something that is 3d - under stand we will have to get a 3d blue ray player ect.

Question is how many people actuly use the 3d TV's at home and what is the feed back ?

Good or should it just say with the cenimas ?

JoshXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 3D TV's

I haven't watched a movie in 3D for over a year. Personally I think the fad is over. People are more interested in streaming and internet connectivity on their displays now.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ours is 3D and I don't think we have ever used that function - we didn't specifically want to buy a 3D TV it just so happens that it is one of the options it has.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Same here, the TV we wanted was the most efficient for it's size and price bracket and it just happened to be 3D and wifi connectivity as well as internet ready etc. The only 3D movies we've watched is the ones I've downloaded for the kids. It's interesting and all but meh, I can live without it. I use the WIFI function and run Serviio Media server on my PC so I can watch downloaded movies straight from my hard drive.

Bushbasher

PS. If you're going to go after 3D go for the passive 3D not the active. The glasses are $10 a pair for passive v bend over prices for the active ones when the kids break the factory pair. I got 4 pairs with our Panasonic and after about 6 months we're down to 1 pair that hasn't been broken and glued back together.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Last edited by Bushbasher; 29-12-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i bought my 3d tv second hand from Duaned - i have had it for maybe 2 years and never used 3d on it. maybe because i don't have a blue ray player, maybe because the few 3d movies i have watched at the cinema haven't been worth spending the money on
Old 29-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've used my 3d tv a few times to watch How to Train your Dragon and Avengers as well as playing a few 3d ps3 games. It's not a selling point any more but some things are pretty awesome in 3d
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
RJx307

most tv's these days come with 3d standard but i bought my tv as top of the range(samsung smart tv with 3d). Only used 3d twice and it wasn't even all that good when I did use it(not the same effect as cinema for me anyway).

I really found it better due to it being true full hd so bluray looked amazing, I'd recommend getting any new smart tv as they usually come with 3d anyway and some with 4 pairs of 3d glasses. I'm looking at an LG smart tv myself for the bedroom now and the main thing attracting me is spotify built in as an app.
RJx307 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
JoshXR

Hmm

Looking at these couple

Lg 60 in non 3d
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-...tv-sku-396785/

Lg 60 in 3d

http://t.thegoodguys.com.au/product_...v#.Ur_rX7IaySM

Sony 60 in 3d - only 100hertz
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-...tv-sku-407656/
JoshXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

3D is a feature which hasn't been very successful.

The new 'fad" is Ultra HD. 4K UHD (2160p) and 8K UHD (4320p)

The UHD TV's look great, but the prices!

Like all new gizmo's these UHDT V will cause the existing 1080p TV's prices to drop.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
marcyeo

I have a 60" Samsung 3D Smart TV, and have never used the 3D. I have the active glasses as well, supposedly you can even watch normal TV in 3D because it will "convert" it for you - tried it and it was rubbish.
It also came with alot of other features, like voice command and hand gesture to change channels/switch on-off etc.. also found them to be a gimmick.

Probably the best function is the Smart TV option as I link my computer upstairs to the TV downstairs and stream movies that way. Also great to surf the internet and I have a app on my phone that controls the TV, so I can control it from anywhere in the house, as well as watch Youtube video's and Skype (with the camera) on it..

OLD
2010 FPV F6 FG - Herrod CAI, Pedders extreme XA's, Whiteline fr & rear swaybars, PWR stepped IC, injectors, turbo dump pipe with Venom cat, Herrod piping kit = 350rwkw
marcyeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #11
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3D has become the standard feature on most TVs, except the low end models, so it wouldn't really matter if you use it or not.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

If you do get one, get a camera that takes 3D pictures and Video.

(I've got the camera but not the TV )
Old 30-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #13
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bought my 3D TV, brought it home, set it up and was pretty chuffed with the 3D thing. Since then I have never used it.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #14
zilo
BANNED

3D content is limited, but with a full foxtel HD subscription there are a couple of channels with sport in 3d and its bloody good.

a lot of box office movies come in 3d as well.

problem with 3d is that anyone without glasses cant watch tv.....
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #15
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

My parents finally upgraded our still-excellent 12yr old flatscreen TV this year with a 55" Sony Bravia something-or-rather smart TV, with 3D!
We use the 3D as much as possible, and Dad especially likes it.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 02:23 AM   #16
XD ESP! XELR8
ESP5 + BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
3D content is limited, but with a full foxtel HD subscription there are a couple of channels with sport in 3d and its bloody good.

a lot of box office movies come in 3d as well.

problem with 3d is that anyone without glasses cant watch tv.....
Not sure what foxtell you have mate but in melb they shut the movie 3d station down and now have shut the sport one down...(been a while)

Full fox hd this end..

Daily drives
BA XR6T lighting strike...Boosted
FG G6ET ego...tuned
F6
XD ESP! XELR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshXR View Post
I'd aim for a Panasonic, as the after sales support is good.
I'd avoid Sony specifically for the above reason, and LG for other reasons.

As most have said, 3D is a gimmick, nothing more, however most displays have it these days, which is a shame, as more of the $$ could be used to make it perform better and be more reliable.

Take a look at this unit -

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-...tv-sku-393450/
This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #18
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I agree with buy Panasonic. Here's a couple that fall in your price range,

THL60DT60A LED/LCD

THP60ST60A Plasma

Personally I'd spend the extra and go the LED/LCD as it'll be cheaper to run and has WIFI.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #19
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

saw a couple of movies in three d at teh flicks
couldnt handle it in fast paced scenes
didnt like it
(i can remember watching cowboy and indian movies in 3d on the telly as a kid in the uk as well)

3d is not my thing and we didnt bother when buying a tv
bought the 70inch sharp and a ps3 as a blueray
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #20
Hally

Hey MercurySilver,

How have you found the Sharp 70 inch? I am looking at that at the moment (and the 60 inch version). They seem like great value based on picture quality, price and warranty. 70 inch for $2770 and 60 for $1480.

Any feedback would be good.

Cheers,

Andrew
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #21
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

its monster big Hally
the 70 inch is only 100hertz
so when watching the footy (afl) if the ball is kicked long and hard it has a tiny bit of blur to it but when its kicked short or handballed etc its fine
it just seems that the ball being oval in shape and when it spins very fast it has that tiny bit of blur about it, but in all honesty it doesnt take away from the viewing pleasure
other than that its great
we paid just under 4500 for it so the price youve said above is a great price
it has hdmi ports usb etc etc
i put a 2 terrabyte hard drive into the usb slot and watch movies that way
the tv detects it straight away and one push of the ok button in the remote and youre into your portable hard drive
ive also plugged the laptop straight in and surfed the net that way on a 70inch screen

make sure you have a decent sized room for something that big we sit at least 4.5 to 5 meters away from the screen.

i erckon from memory it will only play music in mp3 format, but im not sure
i have a faint memory of going into the portable hard drive (when it was plugged in to the tv) a while ago and trying to play music and it wouldnt play stuff in wav format and some others but played mp3, but im not sure as it was over a year ago now

when you go into the shop they usually have something like Avatar playing thru the 70inch on blueray so it looks unbelievable
might pay to grab a usb stick with different types of films and programs on it, even some sport maybe and get them to stick it in so you an watch and see for yourself.
we just run a ps3 as our blueray player.

theres an 80 inch out now that i believe is 200hertz
the misses has already said no
lol
we bought ours from Harveys as we did a massive package on white goods and a stove etc and then chucked the tv on top, but it might be worth going into jbhifi and seeing what they can do....you might be able to get an extended warranty and a few usb sticks or a soundbar etc chucked in for only a few dollars more
cash def talks.
let us all know how you go
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #22
Hally

Thanks for the review.

I really like the sharp 70 inch, but funny enough I think that the room it is going in is a tad too small so thats why I am also considering the 60 inch.

The pricing on my previous post is from HN. JB couldn't get anywhere near it!

I will let you know how I go.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #23
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD ESP! XELR8 View Post
Not sure what foxtell you have mate but in melb they shut the movie 3d station down and now have shut the sport one down...(been a while)

Full fox hd this end..
watched a box office 3D movie just couple of weeks ago.

Prometheus I think it was called?
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #24
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Bought my 3D TV, brought it home, set it up and was pretty chuffed with the 3D thing. Since then I have never used it.
Same, it does look pretty decent on my Samsung 55", even Forza on the Xbox One looked pretty good playing in 3D. Not against using 3D on it again, just don't see a need or simply forget about it most of the time.

Connectivity is more important to me. Love being able to stream media from my media server, load up a Youtube video on my iPad and send it to the TV, pause live TV. Those three functions alone trump 3D.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #25
mad cow
blue oval addict

I have a Samsung 3d, was a great feature for the first 2 weeks. never use it now
mad cow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old fart pensioner............... 3d I would use heaps.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post