Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
Xombie
Starter Motor

Default Wheels: Genuine vs Aftermarket

Hi guys,

Just curious what people's thoughts are on wheels for their Fords.

I have a 2012 FG MKII XR6T (demo), which came with some 19s already fitted, which is great. I like the look of them, but what I really want is the GT335 gloss black wheels!

I've been priced at roughly $2k for a set of four brand spankers (genuine).

Now on e_bay there are various aftermarket copies that are almost half price, including a new set of tyres.

Has anyone experienced the quality of these types of copies compared to genuine Ford parts?

Cheers for your thoughts!

No mods yet (but the list is growing)
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
BlueOvalPrint

Default Re: Wheels: Genuine vs Aftermarket

I bought a set of silver 19" GT/F6 replicas from a respected seller of aftermarket wheels for my G6ET not long after I got it to replace the factory 18"s. They looked great (apart from the obvious FPV knockoff centre logos, which I replaced with genuine Ford badges) but after going over one semi-decent pothole at about 70km/h one of them was slightly bent on the inner edge, enough to be picked up as causing an uncorrectable imbalance when I took it for a recheck. A few months later, hit another decent pothole (covered by a puddle/pool of water, so no idea about it til I hit it - that BUCKLED both the front and rear rims on one side. Result - a trashed set of rims within 15 months :(

Yes all big rims with low profile tyres are more likely to be damaged by potholes etc than smaller ones, but I really lost confidence in Chinese replicas after that. Also noticed they had a strange, almost hollow tone when you laid them on the ground. Ended up cutting my losses and getting set of the genuine G6ET 19's (yes, which I should have ordered in the first place!) which have been faultless. Never again will I buy replicas, no matter how cheap!

As for wheel/tyre packages, the tyres are generally yum cha real bottom-feeder stuff that will throw you into the scenery the first time you hit a corner, especially in the wet. Either negotiate the price up to get a decent brand or just take the wheels only and get someone else to put on decent rubber.
BlueOvalPrint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

genuine on a 1 year old model, anything else will smash your resale
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
Wolfinsheepsclothing
preying on lions

to help save your rims on a fg you can go to a higher profile e.g- 245/40-19 instead of 245/35-19
Old 19-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

I have had 19" Copy Cobra/GT Wheels and low profile tyres for 5+ years - I smash pot holes all the time - my suspension is rock hard and with beefed up sway bars - not much give and I have only cracked one wheel in that time - I have 245/23/19 tyres

I put it down to the Cobra/GT Wheels have thicker spokes and better support

But maybe as the FG is heavier than an EF this is a major factor

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Hit and miss but yeah, resale will look more favorably upon genuine.

Replicas can often be from several sources shop carefully different quality and finishes vary.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I don't think I have seen any aftermarket wheels cop as much abuse as factory wheels and stay in 1 piece or stay round

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm completely sick of aftermarket rip off wheels. I've had 3 different sets of "rip offs " on other cars and all 3 sets buckled due to Sydney's crap roads. This time round I coughed up for genuine and so far all is good. They cop a hiding and are still perfectly shaped. If you got quoted 2k for genuine fpv rims I would be jumping on that, it's a good price
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
I don't think I have seen any aftermarket wheels cop as much abuse as factory wheels and stay in 1 piece or stay round
If the WS/WT Fiesta factory alloys are anything to go by, one pothole strike and goodbye, busted wheel, a lot of the guys down in the small car section have replaced their Fiesta wheels with aftermarket.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #10
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Can people be so silly as to invest their money and life/ families life into a cheap Chinese knockoff wheel/tyre package - given its the only item between you and the road.

Then hit the hwy watching the speedo climb without ever considering the metallurgical properties or quality standards applied in the manufacture of the only item that keeps their car on the road.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #11
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

Pretty sure the factory wheels are made in China any way. .I know the ones on my fg xr6 are. ..
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #12
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ford dont make wheels! never did ROH used to make the steelies dont know who does the alloys but i suspect that INJECTED is right. you can get good quality aftermarket wheels and ***** ones, country of manufacture is no longer the only indicator of quality.
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash again View Post
ford dont make wheels! never did
Wrong, Ford had an Alloy Wheel manufacturing factory in Auckland, I did some work in it years ago, never recognised any of the alloys, they were for export.
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #14
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good quality tyres should be the first priority, if your budget doesn't stretch to good quality tyres and quality rims then, cheap out on the rims not the other way around.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem isn't made in China, it's to what standards and for what price.

I only ever had one set of copies, never, ever again.

My favourite is when guys pull off a decent set of factory wheels and replace them with cheesy, cheap awful chrome wheels or the like, and then sell the factory wheels for less than the rubbish they replaced them with, so dumb
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #16
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

You can alway powder coat the factory rims to give it a "different" look without sacrificing anything. Usually cost between $75-$120 per rim.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinsheepsclothing View Post
to help save your rims on a fg you can go to a higher profile e.g- 245/40-19 instead of 245/35-19
NO, you can't. That would make the rolling circumference wrong and put your speedo out, plus increase the likelihood of rubbing tyres on bodywork.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
strik9
aka fpv747

i put decent rims on my fpv. i,m replacing atleast one a year through a buckle.
its not just cheap rims.
act the better quality you go the lighter they are, so i figure the easier they buckle.
i act put of going for a wheel alignment knowing my tyre guy prob going to add another rim to his collection. sad fact is i act have a front and rear spare in the garage for stock.
strik9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #19
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$2K for a set of genuine wheels is cheap and I wouldn't go near copies .
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #20
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

After crossing Australia in my first BF F6 ute,, taking it forest rally driving, down in paddocks to get wood, then my FG F6 ute, and now my GT-E sedan, all with standard rims I have never put a dent in them.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #21
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Main problem is that looks are more important than performance and reliability . 20 inch wheel with 30 section tyre is always going to be vulnerable on our potholed roads. My car rides on 235/60/16 and difference in comfort is amazing - naturally there is more sidewall movement while cornering but that is not a problem . Falcon probably does not need more than 17 inch wheel with 45 section tyre .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #22
max_torq
From the Futura

I put 19" FG multispoke G6ET rims on my BA falcon wagon. After a year with quite a lot of pacific highway travel I am on my third set of front tyres. One will hit a bump, get a bubble and then the pair will need to be replaced to even the wear or because the patterns don't match. Might go back to the 16'" I think. However, the wheels themselves are okay, haven't taken any damage.
Old 20-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #23
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Main problem is that looks are more important than performance and reliability . 20 inch wheel with 30 section tyre is always going to be vulnerable on our potholed roads. My car rides on 235/60/16 and difference in comfort is amazing - naturally there is more sidewall movement while cornering but that is not a problem . Falcon probably does not need more than 17 inch wheel with 45 section tyre .

I am happy to live with my standard 17 rims.
Having 17s means that really good tyres are a lot cheaper, so I fit quality rubber for a fraction of the price that a set of 19/20 inch tyres would cost. At the moment I am running Goodyear Asymetric 2s on each corner. Wonder what they would cost in 19s or 20s?
A bonus of course is that they are less likely to give me grief on the rough roads too due to a taller profile. I don't care about the look. The 17s look fine, compared to the 14s that my old mans XE had fitted as a kid! LOL
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #24
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

As has already been said. If you can get Genuine for only 2k then go for it IMHO.

But on the flip side, I have had many tire places say that they have seen lots of Ford/FPV genuine rims bent, buckled, and damaged more than other manufacturers since the AU preset was introduced (assume this is mainly dues to the increase in diameter not manufacturing materials). I even had one place bail me up telling me to stop driving like an idiot and damaging my rims... for me to reply, I bought this car second hand last week...

I have had copies and they have been just as good as the genuines, and even in some cases better finished. My FPV twists are unbelievably lacking in paint on the inner side of the rims! This makes cleaning them up for shows, REALLY flipping hard!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #25
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
I think the same , there is a wheel /tyre size I wont go beyond, low profiles on big delicate rims are a recipe for trouble , I have 18"s which were put on my limo on my birthday without me knowing/permission , 18s are the limit for me on our dodgey roads, but I much preferred the 16s .... rode better and easier on the suspension, as for aftermarket wheels , there are good brands/types out there, myself I woud stick with the known brands with runs on the board or stay with factory.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #26
75GHIA
Starter Motor

I got 19" Replica Twists for my AU Fairmont, I've given them a fair testing through potholes, rough roads, dirt roads, towing. No dramas what so ever, and they were a hell of a lot cheaper than Genuine.
75GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #27
creative
I am Batman

my stock 17's have a dent in them (frint drivers side) its what I suspect is the cause of my vibration and I noticed it last time I was under the car.

I cant say I remember hitting anything though!
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #28
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
My FPV twists are unbelievably lacking in paint on the inner side of the rims! This makes cleaning them up for shows, REALLY flipping hard!
Totally agree with this. My R-Spec wheels are pretty average on the inner side and the finish is not as "reddy" or as glossy as the spokes.

The Forgestars cost me $2,400 delivered to my door and the gloss black finish is fantastic all over. They are scheduled to go on Friday week. Once the originals are off they're going to have the inside of the rims re-done.
Old 21-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #29
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon View Post
NO, you can't. That would make the rolling circumference wrong and put your speedo out, plus increase the likelihood of rubbing tyres on bodywork.
It will change the speedo by 3.5km/h which isn't a big deal but the height could be an issue, as they will be 24mm higher.