Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation VW Issue another DSG Recall...

Volkswagen issuing recalls on Tiguan, Golf, Beetle, Passat and Audi vehicles.

Volkswagen is issuing recalls and advisories for about 2.6 million vehicles world-wide, with a big chunk of those in China, its largest market, after the German auto maker identified a problem there related to the same gearbox that triggered a recall earlier this year.

The recalls include 750,000 Volkswagen and Audi vehicles in China. VW said it will replace a synthetic oil that can damage the Chinese-built, seven-speed gearbox in those models. Vehicles on the China recall list include the Volkswagen Golf, Beetle and Passat and several Audi models.

Volkswagen also said Thursday it is recalling 800,000 Tiguan (2008-11) SUVs in the U.S. and China to fix faulty fuses, and 239,000 Amarok pickups to repair leaky fuel lines. It also sent out advisories in other countries to alert owners of the affected models, bringing the total number of cars affected in the three safety actions to 2.6 million, VW said.

While the number of vehicles is large, analysts estimated the cost of the repairs could be relatively small. Still, the fresh problems that have surfaced with the gearbox might further dent Volkswagen's reputation in China and strain its relations with its local venture partner, SAIC Motor Co.

The gearbox only has problems in hot and humid climates, said Volkswagen spokesman Peter Heinz Thul. In warm climates, additives in the synthetic oil can damage the electronics. VW is proposing to replace the oil with a mineral oil that has been used previously without problems, Mr. Thul said.

Volkswagen issued a recall in March in China for nearly 400,000 vehicles to fix an electronic malfunction on the same DQ200 gearbox. It said the problem was resolved with a software fix.

VW officials told Chinese regulatory officials about the most recent problem earlier this week. Mr. Thul said. The auto maker then agreed that a recall should be issued.

Volkswagen Australia has not confirmed if any – or how many – cars could be affected here.

My comment : time to go back to the slush box...cann't beat a conventional autobox....

Old 15-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
DreadlyST

Default Re: VW Issue another DSG Recall...

What a joke, but not as many recalls as Toyota a few years back with the sticky pedal/floor mats issue!!

Welcome to the family!! Eh??
DreadlyST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
My comment : time to go back to the slush box...cann't beat a conventional autobox....
I read an article last week that stated VW were moving back to torque-converter auto's because of the gains they have made with them and that there is now no advantage in DCT/DSG gearbox's.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How long have these lemons been in service for now. They still can't sort them. And sheep still buy them.
Silence from the usual anti Falcon trolls/Euro/Hyundai **** box lovers who like to stick it to the large local cars for minor quality issues....
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I read an article last week that stated VW were moving back to torque-converter auto's because of the gains they have made with them and that there is now no advantage in DCT/DSG gearbox's.
Any chance of a link, I've been stalling replacing my Transporter because I don't want a dsg version.
Don't worry, found several stories.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 15-11-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bloody hell Chinese manufactured gearbox in German VW's .... what the hell is wrong with this world?
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Much love for crude BTRs and manuals.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Bloody hell Chinese manufactured gearbox in German VW's .... what the hell is wrong with this world?
I think they're' VW China built dsg's in VW China built cars.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

The DSG boxes are nice to drive, albeit plagued with problems. When I worked at VW, they were having all sorts of issues with the megatronics. I see that Audi have gone back to an 8 speed torque converter automatic in the latest RS6.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

All the DSG VWs I have experienced were atrocious to drive in the city.
Old 15-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #11
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Much love for crude BTRs and manuals.
My BTR's with shiftkits work fine. And they're not made in China!
2 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2013, 12:51 AM   #12
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No doubt there are, or have been, problems with the Volkswagen DSG, but it's still a great transmission. Craps all over the Ford Powershift in the Mrs Fiesta for sophistication and shift speeds. Can be jerky in stop-start driving, though you learn to adapt by being "positive" with it.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #13
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I wouldn't be to quick to stick it into the Chinese VW made DSG.
Ford has huge problems with there Focus DSG, we own one of these stutter boxes and I hope they find a ''real'' fix soon as I am hearing the repair work is in the thousands every month across Australia alone.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2013, 05:09 AM   #14
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Dog seems like a big fail tech to me. If it's broken...doesn't matter how good it is.....
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #15
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Where do you think the RHD Golfs are made?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What gets me, is they spend millions on R&D and release a gearbox that has faults.
It puts me off any new car with DSG...
Old 16-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You're not wrong!

But i think its a case of them meeting in the middle... Dodgy SG (DSG) made in get what you pay for china = 2.6 million recalls.

As they say going cheap will cost you.

Im looking to swap my chrome roll bars and soft tonneau with the cut outs on my GS ute for just the normal FG FPV soft tonneau cover. Basically i want to do away with the chome bars

Im from Perth so it would be easier if someone from Perth is willing as well. I will drive to you as well.
Brendo_GSUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #18
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
How long have these lemons been in service for now. They still can't sort them. And sheep still buy them.
Silence from the usual anti Falcon trolls/Euro/Hyundai **** box lovers who like to stick it to the large local cars for minor quality issues....
You'll find the reason for this is that most here own large local cars built by Ford and hence complain when things go wrong.

Probably not to many people here own a Passat or a Beetle with a DSG.

Join a VW forum and you may find no-one complaining about Ford Territories.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #19
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't see myself buying a DSG auto. All because their synthetic oil damages the electronics. You would think they would've done a bit more testing in hot climates, but it sounds like they spent most of the time in cold parts of Europe.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
I don't see myself buying a DSG auto. All because their synthetic oil damages the electronics. You would think they would've done a bit more testing in hot climates, but it sounds like they spent most of the time in cold parts of Europe.
Same here mate, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole, and the older style transmission s have the runs on the board .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #21
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The way its going i'm never going to buy anything later than 2000 model lol!
Old 16-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #22
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
All the DSG VWs I have experienced were atrocious to drive in the city.
What didn't you like about them? Did you find them jerky? Sluggish on take-off? Hesitation when accelerating/decelerating? Audi's CVT is what I'd call "atrocious" to drive, especially in the city. DSG Audi/VW though, IMO were great. They crap all over the Volvo DSG I drove, which is basically the same as Ford's.
Old 16-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure VW will rectify the problems and maybe one day their DSG autos will become a safe, strong and reliable transmission.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #24
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My A3 1.8T DSG is fine..

94,000kms on the ODO. and chugging along strong. Car is well serviced though.

I hope I have not given myself the hoodoo.

+1 for driving them positive, if you are one of these clowns that can't accelerate or drive at a constant speed and drive like Sydney Taxi divers, who seem to be constantly on and off the accelerator, I expect it may be a jerky experience.

I hope they get them sorted as I much prefer them over a converter.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #25
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
I laugh at latte sipping VW owners who look down their noses at Falcon/Commo drivers thinking that they are somehow superior, when it is infact they who are driving an unreliable, poorly engineered pos.
When I look at the sales figures each month I can't believe that there are uninformed idiots out there who are still buying them. The sales figures should read zero.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #26
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
What didn't you like about them? Did you find them jerky? Sluggish on take-off? Hesitation when accelerating/decelerating? Audi's CVT is what I'd call "atrocious" to drive, especially in the city. DSG Audi/VW though, IMO were great. They crap all over the Volvo DSG I drove, which is basically the same as Ford's.
Just seemed indecisive, then too aggressive, and just seemed as though it was mapped all wrong.
Old 16-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #27
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mines got 150K on it no dramas. But then again it was the first of the MKV's and the later ones were cheap shoddy heaps of ****.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #28
mcnews
Trev

From a friend that worked at a dealership, that sold over 100 of them to a government department, that then experience a 15 per cent failure rate within six months.... He seemed to reckon it was cars that sat for a week or two at a time without being driven that was having failures. This was in a hot climate too. His theory was that sat still the lubricant in the servo actuators or something was leaking out of where it should have been if not being used, thus the failures.
Old 16-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #29
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Just seemed indecisive, then too aggressive, and just seemed as though it was mapped all wrong.
MK V or MK 6 Golf? Or Jetta? I've driven every model, I didn't have a drama with any of them from a driving perspective. Quattro and 4-Motion Audi/VW coupled with DSG is a match made in heaven. Passat R36's and A4/5 2.0L Turbo DSG's are awesome to drive. I say this as a Ford nut with no other allegiances to the brand, so I have no agenda to push. Just stating my observations after having driven them for years.
Old 17-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #30
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

My parents have a Polo77 with the DSG, there have been a couple of glitches with the DSG, it rolled back a bit on a hill and had hesitation in traffic. this was fixed with a software update.

I love the DSG in the Polo, great little unit and masks the size of the engine well.
Twin clutch transmissions work it's just people do need to adjust to the feel of them.