Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Selling a car without a RWC?

I'm out of work at the moment and have been applying for jobs left right and centre..... I'm so sick of waiting for responses!

Also i just handed my license in for 6-9 months after a motorcycle accident all my fault never had a stack in 20 yrs of riding....Giving up riding big bang bikes now and way to many speed cams anyways.

We have two EF's, a fairmont sedan and an XR6 wagon....The missus prefers the wagon so she will be driving me to work everyday in that.

If we really get desperate i'm thinking of selling the Mont but we cannot afford a RWC.....The car is in pretty good nick for its age, 250k's, on gas with King Springs and new tyres and brakes....

Its really only worth 3-4k as is...... Anyone been fined for selling a car without RWC? I dont know wether to risk it or not?

GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Danford2
Starter Motor

Default Re: Selling a car without a RWC?

Risky, as they may not get a rwc and the car stays in your name.
I did it on a bike a few years back and the guy hadn't got the transfer done for over a year only picked up when i called vic roads about something else.

You can always sell it with no plates, forces the buyer to get the rwc.
Danford2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Yes, you simply fill out the transfer of registration papers implying the vehicle was sold without a RWC.

Once VicRoads have received it, they will write to the new owner and demand a roadworthy certificate be supplied in 14 days or will suspend/cancel registration.
This user likes this post:
Old 12-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD View Post
Yes, you simply fill out the transfer of registration papers implying the vehicle was sold without a RWC.

Once VicRoads have received it, they will write to the new owner and demand a roadworthy certificate be supplied in 14 days or will suspend/cancel registration.
Ah o.k....Not sure what to do.....We have now decided to keep the much nicer to drive Mont sedan and it has less k's also....

An XR6 wagon with clearcoat peeling, wrecked front bumper, hanging rear bumper, 6 months reg, 300,000k's, Impco gas system only 6 yrs old and two bad tyres would only pull about 2k then huh?
Old 12-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm, might swap the 6 month old alternator over to the Mont before my beloved old XR wagon goes to FTG auto salvage.....Its a sad day!

Only put a brand new radiator in it last week.... Its been a tough, reliable car.

Last edited by GASWAGON; 12-11-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone reckon its worth stripping the Impco lean bias gas system and tank to sell seperatley....Could prob get 1k or more for all of it?
Old 12-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If a car is registered in Victoria it must be sold with a RWC. If the car is sold without a roadworthy cert, you still can be held responsible for what happens.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...BuyingSelling/

I would not bother with taking the gas tank out as no one buys gas tanks. One of my mates owns a wreckers in sunshine and currently has 100 gas tanks. They just don’t sell.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
If a car is registered in Victoria it must be sold with a RWC. If the car is sold without a roadworthy cert, you still can be held responsible for what happens.

I would not bother with taking the gas tank out as no one buys gas tanks. One of my mates owns a wreckers in sunshine and currently has 100 gas tanks. They just don’t sell.
Last time I sold car with out RWC you have choice of suspending/cancelling registration & hand plates back into rego branch, also fill in the transfer papers & hand in to cover yourself from fines.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post

You can sell a car without a RWC BUT it MUST be unregistered and with no plates, simple really
Old 12-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
nstg8a

your fairmont would have to be in pretty exceptional nick to be worth 3-4 in today's market as well, they're just not worth anything.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
your fairmont would have to be in pretty exceptional nick to be worth 3-4 in today's market as well, they're just not worth anything.
Well its the best out of the two cars and has less k's and got lpg...Spent money on front camber kits and two new tyres and brake discs this year and also got a/c hoses replaced late last year....She's still got some life in her yet.

I still dont know what to do with the gas system on the wagon....I can strip it out myself but then the car really is'nt worth much at all....Going to take it to wreckers tmrw and see what they can offer....

Who else would want a 300k beaten up XR wagon?
Old 12-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #12
nstg8a

You would sell the xr wagon easier than the fairmont, and for more than a wrecker would give give you
Old 13-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
You would sell the xr wagon easier than the fairmont, and for more than a wrecker would give give you
Ye I was thinking i could get 3k for it even a bit beaten up......Might have to put it Ebay and Gumtree and see how it goes.....I really need tthe money asap though?
Old 13-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
JGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Ye I was thinking i could get 3k for it even a bit beaten up......Might have to put it Ebay and Gumtree and see how it goes.....I really need tthe money asap though?
Gumtree would be best to avoid high ebay fees OR you could sell through ebay and maybe remove the listing once someone is interested??
Whiteline sway bars,nolathane bushes, Koni reds,Kings springs,nolathane camber kit,whiteline bump stops.
Built tailshaft + billet cv, ZF + PWR exchanger + braided lines, Superpro diff bushes.
JGP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately, you'd be lucky (very lucky) to get 2k for either of your cars mate. Nobody would pay 3k for a beaten up old wagon, even an XR wagon. There's no way a 20 year old Fairmont will pull 3 to 4 grand. There are immaculate, super low kay examples going for that on carsales, and even they aren't selling.
Old 13-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

The only time I ever tried to sell a car without a RWC I had it advertised for $1200, about $1300 less than what it was worth (~$2500) and everyone who called up asked if it had a roadworthy and lost interest when it didn't. Then I went and spent $400 to fix a few things, got a roadworthy on it, and advertised it for $2500. It was gone to the first person who inspected it for $2400.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #17
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
You can sell a car without a RWC BUT it MUST be unregistered and with no plates, simple really
Read Post #3
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #18
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you sell a car with no RWC you fill out the transfer form and the new owner has 14 days to supply a rwc to vicroads if the buyer wishes to retain the remainder of the rego, just write a receipt with the time and date you sold the car photo copy or right 2 both sign both copies, If a fine or anything comes to you just put the buyers details on the fine, you will have all these details on your copy of the transfer form, all this info is on the transfer form simple.

Just to ad, a car with reg and RWC will get the most money
a car with reg and no rwc will get less
and a car with no plates will get the least, and will take the longest to sell, removing plates and getting a refund on the rego(normally very small amount) is counter productive in my opinion.

Last edited by roberts; 13-11-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: jkuj
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #19
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Wouldn't the easiest way to be is to ring Vicroads and find the actual truth?

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #20
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I spent $800 on a RWC ealier in the year cos was going to sell the XR then..... Luckily i did'nt because i lost the courier job i had which was **** anyway and had to sell the BF ute i bought for a loss....Also had problems with getting that RW....This year has just been bloody aweful...

And now that the front bumper is badly damaged from nearly ripping it off on one of those stupid concrete car parking stops the l/h front is'nt looking too good with a bloody door hinge used as a bracket screwed into the front guard and then the bumper too keep it from dropping to the ground lol!

Plus the bloody thing wore the insides of the front tyres out because it must need camber kits fitted for proper wheel alignment....I only put new tyres on the car 9 months ago..... So now the scrubbed out ones are on the back with the good tyres scrubbing out again on front again......The bloody car is'nt even lowered.

Just a bloody RW checkover costs $180 these days.....Plus 2 new tyres again..... I dont know bloody know what to do? Will c if i can scrape up the money for RWC.
Old 13-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #21
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that sux mate, the springs may have sagged causing your negative camber. If I was in your position and didn't want to spend anything on it I would sell it as were is with the remaining rego and no rwc, of course you will get less for it. If you want a quick sale stick it on ebay 99c no reserve and see what happens, or spend the $180 plus repairs and try to capitalise on your asset. RWC have gone up in price to reflect the extra time and effort need by the licencee, good luck with the sale.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #22
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
Read Post #3
I am only going by what was written on Vicroads transfer papers

It states that is the sellers responsibility to provide a RWC, of course you can sell it without one and with the plates still on it, but it can't be transferred into the new owners name until a RWC has been done.

Also understand that you do not need any POI when paying rego, my son got caught with this, he sold a car to a bloke who promised to get a RWC, but didn't and when the rego was up, the bloke just logged onto the internet and paid the rego with his credit card, pretty simple, my son had to go to Vicroads and cancel the rego in the end

Last edited by Trevor 57; 13-11-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #23
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OMG changed plans again! Just took the Mont sedan which is still a nice car to a country mechanic about 15 minutes away....He lets a few small things pass unlike our local town shop thats very strict....

The Mont has BIG speakers in the parcel shelf and the holes have been cut slightly to allow them to fit....this is actually illegal because they say it weakens the strength of the baby seat mount.....Bloody load of **** really..... The country mech said he'd let that pass!

The windows are about 50% tint which is also illegal on front windows so he said to get the front glass re tinted (about $100)...

The rest of car is REALLY tight with King Springs and Monroe GTs, new front discs and pads, A/C HP hose replaced late last year, newish tyres, clean comfy interior, only one dent in rear quarter the rest really straight.

I will also get trans serviced and do engine oil and plugs and diff oil myself before selling. Rego paid last month.

And after all that i'll prob be lucky to get a lousy 3k for it...what a joke!

Last edited by GASWAGON; 13-11-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 13-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #24
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Selling a car without a RWC?

$3k for an EF I wish
last year I tried to sell my 2003 Fairmont Ghia sedan with a reco trans new radiator and new tyres with 8 months rego and 170k on the clock and the best price I could find was $3k so I kept it
here in Qld you have to get the RWC before you advertise the carfor sale
not after you get a buyer
it sucks and also try $800 odd for a six cyl for rego
John in Brisbane
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #25
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2003 with reco trans and the rest Geesus christ! $800 for rego......WTF! Mate that is just crazy.....Geesus its just getting out of control in this country. bloody oath just keep the car!

At least in Vic we dont have to get the RWC before sale.

I've put the car on carsales with a really good write up starting at 4k.

Last edited by GASWAGON; 13-11-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 13-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #26
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Selling a car without a RWC?

$3k for an EF I wish

Ive also got a 1998 Fairmont with factory dual fuel (Tickford gas) anyone can have it for $1500 and its regoed till January and new tyres but faded clear coat they can have the rego if they can get their own RWC
there is no value in used cars

John in Brisbane
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #27
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by last fairlane View Post
$3k for an EF I wish

Ive also got a 1998 Fairmont with factory dual fuel (Tickford gas) anyone can have it for $1500 and its regoed till January and new tyres but faded clear coat they can have the rego if they can get their own RWC
there is no value in used cars

John in Brisbane
Mate just drive it till it literally dies.. At least the diffs are and donks are tuff in the pre 2000 models. I'll eventually get a nice AU mont wagon on gas next year..
Old 13-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #28
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
OMG changed plans again! Just took the Mont sedan which is still a nice car to a country mechanic about 15 minutes away....He lets a few small things pass unlike our local town shop thats very strict....

The Mont has BIG speakers in the parcel shelf and the holes have been cut slightly to allow them to fit....this is actually illegal because they say it weakens the strength of the baby seat mount.....Bloody load of **** really..... The country mech said he'd let that pass!

The windows are about 50% tint which is also illegal on front windows so he said to get the front glass re tinted (about $100)...

The rest of car is REALLY tight with King Springs and Monroe GTs, new front discs and pads, A/C HP hose replaced late last year, newish tyres, clean comfy interior, only one dent in rear quarter the rest really straight.

I will also get trans serviced and do engine oil and plugs and diff oil myself before selling. Rego paid last month.

And after all that i'll prob be lucky to get a lousy 3k for it...what a joke!
Parcel tray is a structural part of the car, and the rwc mech is quite right to knock you back on it.

Window tint is 35% max isn't it? So 50% is like no tint at all.... The lower percentage the tint is, the darker it is.
5% is basically limo tint.
Old 14-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #29
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

a dodgy RWC could end up in a world of hurt for somebody

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #30
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The speaker holes have only been minorly trimmed....Would'nt make one iota of differencr to strength.

Mech said i can get away with re tinting the front glass only.