Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Speed cameras out of control.

I'm from Melbourne and the speed cameras are everywhere and they want to fit more of them.... Even the Cop bikes have small side mounted cameras on them....There is talk of them wanting to install even more cams at new intersections etc.

And now they have number plate recognition as well. And they also passed a new law that allows them to sit at the bottom of a big hill and hide..

When is it going to stop? How much money do they want to make?
People are losing licenses everywhere its getting ridiculous not to mention the costs of fines...

Is there any way we can protest against all this new technology taking peoples livleyhoods and money?

GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Speed cameras out of control.

Of course you can protest against it. The problem is the majority are too lazy to do anything about it and will take it because the "government want the best for us".
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes I have heard that aussies just take what they're given and do not protest enough.... The situation is dire and something needs to be done....Is'nt it against civil rights to be so intrusive on peoples lives?

How should I go about protesting? Who should I contact? Cant we as a forum contribute to protesting somehow and other car forums and interest groups aswell?
Old 08-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends if the government chooses to alter legislation to suit their agenda, which is becoming more and more common e.g. cameras can sit at the bottom of hills and behind bushes for "operator safety". The problem is when you attain a drivers license, you are basically entering a contract with the government to abide by their laws. In my opinion, driving is a right, not a privilege; everyone has the right to travel.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it sounds pretty bad down there in VIC,,almost to the point where people may start to avoid travelling or touring the place
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
nstg8a

Don't speed, then it doesn't matter where they put them.

come on, someone had to say it....
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave View Post
it sounds pretty bad down there in VIC,,almost to the point where people may start to avoid travelling or touring the place
Mate i'm telling you it is screwed......Now with the number plate recognition they can get you for unlicensed driving aswell....

Honestly how far are they going to go with this ****.....It is just wrong for the sake of a few kilometres here and there.....I'm ****in over it!
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Mate i'm telling you it is screwed......Now with the number plate recognition they can get you for unlicensed driving aswell....
I have absolutely not one problem with that.
It also spots stolen cars, unreg'd cars, alerts of outstanding fines for reg'd owner...
Old 08-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post

Mate I drive two old EFs and its still hard to stay on the limit.....**** all these new cars with all the horsepower and ******** they have on them...

I'm also giving up motorbike riding as a hobby...Its just too bloody hard!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
I have absolutely not one problem with that.
It also spots stolen cars, unreg'd cars, alerts of outstanding fines for reg'd owner...
Ye well some people cant afford to pay reg and fines in the present economical condition the country is in....Not to mention repairs etc.

The system is too ****in hard and is designed to make money and that is all..
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

but that hasn't saved everyone from getting a ticket. even if you wasn't speeding, you still have to take it to court and say it was faulty or the officer was lying.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Ye well some people cant afford to pay reg and fines in the present economical condition the country is in....Not to mention repairs etc.
No excuse.
Can't afford it, don't drive it.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
No excuse.
Can't afford it, don't drive it.
Oh o.k and what about in a rural area out of town or even a regional area?

How are supposed to get to work then?
Old 08-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:

Pretty simple I would've thought.

Set aside money each week instead of spending it on cartons and pay the bloody rego.
It's not like it's a surprise that you have to pay it each year.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave View Post
this.

we make a point of staying out of Vic if possible, and we certainly dont spend a cent there.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #16
Paintwerks

Quote:
.....Now with the number plate recognition they can get you for unlicensed driving aswell....
.....and the problem with that is?????

If you don't have a licence, then you should not be driving on the road. So tough turkey if they book you for that!
Paintwerks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #17
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And in Queensland ?? Proof they are for revenue raising
THE Queensland Government has absolutely no intention of following in the foot steps of the Victorian Government who will issue a first-time warning for motorists caught speeding.

Victoria police this week have rewritten its rules to alert thousands of motorists they are eligible to apply for official warnings.

Under the new policy, motorists caught doing between 10 and 14km/h over the limit can be warned instead of fined if they have not been nabbed speeding in the previous three-years.

The policy previously said only those busted doing less than 10km/h over the limit, and who had not been fined in the previous two-years, were eligible to apply for an official warning to escape their fine.

Earlier this year, Queensland police lowered the tolerance for speeding across the state.

However, they have not revealed what the changes in speed tolerances were to avoid creating a defacto speed limit.
http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au...tead-/2077099/
A spokeswoman for Police Minister Jack Dempsey said there was no current, or future, plan to adopt the same policy as the Victorian police.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #18
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Buy a horse...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Also cruise co.trol sucks on E series Falcons, set it to 110Kmh and it drops back to 105 and drops back gears to get back to 110 then does the same thing.

Go down the hill and its doing 125+.

Pretty much everything sucks on E series Falcons.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #20
OwnTheRoad
T Series Club AUST.

Here is the key and flawed part of the above statement "Victoria police this week have rewritten its rules to alert thousands of motorists they are eligible to apply for official warnings."
It says eligible folks , this isn't a given , I speculate that very few will apply and of those that do they won't let many off the hook .
The Victorian Goverment are no better than a pensioner with a pokes gambling habbit , they are totally addicted to the machines as the numbers keep rolling on.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #21
peterljohnson55

I like to think I am a responsible and safe driver, yet I am concerned about getting pinged when I least expect it. Last thing I need as a pensioner is a speeding fine, just cant afford it.

So, I have invested in a dash cam to help me out. It is Laser Corporation's Navig[8]r CRASHCAM PRO, as recommended by CHOICE Australia. Part of the technology includes a 300m audible voice warning when coming up to a fixed speed camera. Furthermore, it also has provision for me to bump the dashcam when I want to register for myself some location (it is hooked into GPS/Google Maps) where I may have seen a mobile side-of-road cam - it will give the same type of warning - or think I have been pinged by a radar or camera, then I have a record of the circumstances for 60 secs before and after the event to check whether the authorities had set up their scanner lawfully.

The other benefit of a dash cam is that it gives you a witness to what happens in the event of an incident/crash and allow me to challenge someone who may want to blame me when it was their fault. I had a car cut in front of me from adjacent lane the other day. If I had collided the circumstances of how the accident happened could be debated in the absence of a witness. Chances of another driver coming forward could be slim, so my dash cam is my friend.

It only has to save me once or twice (especially in saving me on my comprehensive excess) for it to pay for itself.

You can check it out here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euoq1hbEDQA

The other thing I do is drive with my wife as a team. That way we have both eyes looking for nasties of any kind, to avoid.
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2013, 03:04 AM   #22
1TUFFUTE
Banned

even the police officers have convinced themselves.

I was pulled over for speeding, as I had passed a police bike over a bridge in a work zone. I said to him id turned onto the main road from a side road and hadn't seen a speed sign indicating the 40klph he was doing.
Because he couldn't remember where the sign was and if it was after the street(I said) id turned from....he just shrugged and walked off.
In other words he simply pulled me over assuming I was speeding with no evidence. That's grubby if you ask me

Id like to point out I think speeding is very dangerous.....but at the same time all the cameras are a money making sham. They don't give one stuff about safety...otherwise I would have seen at least one officer camped near a roundabout at least once in my whole life
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 03:07 AM   #23
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterljohnson55 View Post
I like to think I am a responsible and safe driver, yet I am concerned about getting pinged when I least expect it. Last thing I need as a pensioner is a speeding fine, just cant afford it.

So, I have invested in a dash cam to help me out. It is Laser Corporation's Navig[8]r CRASHCAM PRO, as recommended by CHOICE Australia. Part of the technology includes a 300m audible voice warning when coming up to a fixed speed camera. Furthermore, it also has provision for me to bump the dashcam when I want to register for myself some location (it is hooked into GPS/Google Maps) where I may have seen a mobile side-of-road cam - it will give the same type of warning - or think I have been pinged by a radar or camera, then I have a record of the circumstances for 60 secs before and after the event to check whether the authorities had set up their scanner lawfully.

The other benefit of a dash cam is that it gives you a witness to what happens in the event of an incident/crash and allow me to challenge someone who may want to blame me when it was their fault. I had a car cut in front of me from adjacent lane the other day. If I had collided the circumstances of how the accident happened could be debated in the absence of a witness. Chances of another driver coming forward could be slim, so my dash cam is my friend.

It only has to save me once or twice (especially in saving me on my comprehensive excess) for it to pay for itself.

You can check it out here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euoq1hbEDQA

The other thing I do is drive with my wife as a team. That way we have both eyes looking for nasties of any kind, to avoid.
deff like your style.....think ill check that gear out....thanks.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:45 AM   #24
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
even the police officers have convinced themselves.

I was pulled over for speeding, as I had passed a police bike over a bridge in a work zone. I said to him id turned onto the main road from a side road and hadn't seen a speed sign indicating the 40klph he was doing.
Because he couldn't remember where the sign was and if it was after the street(I said) id turned from....he just shrugged and walked off.
In other words he simply pulled me over assuming I was speeding with no evidence. That's grubby if you ask me

Id like to point out I think speeding is very dangerous.....but at the same time all the cameras are a money making sham. They don't give one stuff about safety...otherwise I would have seen at least one officer camped near a roundabout at least once in my whole life
Maybe I'm misunderstanding how you've written that but...

It seems to me that he pulled you over because you were speeding but when he couldn't remember whether the sign was before or after you turned onto the road (and therefore you may not have seen the sign), he's given the benefit of the doubt and let you off. Sounds like a pretty reasonable thing for him to do. He could of booked you and told you to plead your case in court.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2013, 04:12 AM   #25
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6 View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding how you've written that but...

It seems to me that he pulled you over because you were speeding but when he couldn't remember whether the sign was before or after you turned onto the road (and therefore you may not have seen the sign), he's given the benefit of the doubt and let you off. Sounds like a pretty reasonable thing for him to do. He could of booked you and told you to plead your case in court.
yes that's right and yes it was reasonable.....but when was the last time you saw an officer let a slam dunk speeding fine go unpunished. My point was that he pulled me over for driving past him and assumed I was speeding....but I hadn't passed a sign therefore I went to 60klm. So he was willing to book me if I hadn't questioned it....even though he didn't see me on a radar or in a signed zone of the road.

Ill admit its a bit of a weird one.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:20 AM   #26
peterljohnson55

**CORRECTION***

Navig[8]r DASHCAM PRO ...

I paid ***$225***, ex shop, in October 2013 (not $325 as previously stated).

I got that price after doing my homework and quoting offers to competing companies.

BTW, have a looksee on YouTube for examples of accident fraud where a drive can be set up in a staged event.
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #27
XW-BAXR6T

Quote:

It does matter because you don't need to be speeding on purpose to get fined in Victoria, i once got fined for starting to enter into an 80 kmh an hour stretch of road from a 60 kmh & speed camera flashed on me as i was entering from 60 kmh to 80 kmh,,,,i got fined for doing 65 kmh in a 60 km zone when i was really entering a 80 kmh zone. This was in Alexandria township & 20 years ago, i couldn't prove my self so i ended up paying up.

They use sneaky & very, very unfair tactic to fine motorists, ive lost faith in our pollies & police when ever i hear its to save lives. It's about raising revenue nothing more.

I agree with OP here, its getting out of hand & is only creative us & them mentality amongst the public & police thanks to our pollies greed.

Nick.
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #28
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Go speak to your local state member of parliament.

If you have time make an appointment to see him in his office and ask him to explain how these laws are good for safety. If you can't be bothered doing that then call his office and speak over the phone. At the very least send his office an email.

If you can, go and review the relevant statistics published by the state government and use these stats in your conversation.

You local state member doesn't read this forum so they have no idea that you are ****ed.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #29
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The issue with the fines and warning system is the fact you are admitting guilt either way..whether you were "speeding" or not.
Can someone please define "speeding"? Imo it's a word used by the government to get our attention with no set definition or unit of measure (unless you're referring to 'speed')
Old 09-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #30
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cs123.. I have done that and MP just trots out the usual Govco PR Spin...Not interested, only interested in towing the party line...