Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
jay289

Default Evans Coolant

Anyone used this stuff

http://www.evanscoolants.com.au/

Might give it a go.

jay289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Default Re: Evans Coolant

Seen it used on Wheeler Dealers on pay TV...

Not cheap tho...

Ed just took the radiator cap off when the car was at normal temp...
That's the only time I have seen it used.

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you really should google it i did and seen some info on other forums that pointed out some things about it that don't work!!!

like how hot this stuff can get with out it letting you know!!!! it wont over flow and let you see steam like water will, so if your not looking at the temp (like you should) the engine has the chance to run way hotter then it was designed to some part of a motor are not designed to run that hot.....like eb-el 6cy heads lol

but check it out

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
cowboy
Cowboy

I did a lot of research on it and was all keen to give it a go until I found out the price.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay289 View Post
Anyone used this stuff

http://www.evanscoolants.com.au/

Might give it a go.
What car are you intending to use it in? If its a Territory or Falcon I6, you can't easily get all the existing water out of the cooling/heater system, which is a requirement for this coolant.

And I question also the long term effects on water pump seals etc which weren't designed for this coolant. Probably ok, but for sure?
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Hally

What is a rough price guide? I have never been able to get my Mustang to run at an even temp.

I have a dealer about 15 mins away so might go investigate.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw the wheeler dealer episode where Ed China put this stuff in a triumph TR6.

I agreed with the benefits which he stated as being no water which meant no corrosion, and no pressure which took the stress off tanks and cooling system components.

Either way...... It really seemed to have its benefits.

With regard to purging the water out of a cooling system, would a vacuum pump work?
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
BHDOGS
Banned

if i remember he said it took 3 or 4 days to remove all the water from the system to do it properly. And he used some sort of liquid to suck all of the moisture out of the system.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
BHDOGS
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQk_X33B2iQ
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

snake oil
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Waste of money I just drop my anti freeze every 3 years. What happens if you car needs repairs and risk of the expensive fluid getting contaminated.

Fluid would be fine for trailer queen but not a daily.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Both the cooling system books I have recommend it Engine Cooling Systems HP Books 2007 Ray T Bohacz and Automatic Cooling System Basics Krause publications 1999 Rand Rundle as have various other US based mags I get. Nonetheless, I have never considered it worth the cost for any of my cars. If I had something rare and not often driven I'd probably go for it. I just use Castrol Coolant and change it all every 2 years.
Old 22-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Jay Leno likes it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PykrgzWPQ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRLXKW2ph0w

Last edited by aussiblue; 22-10-2013 at 07:34 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Liquid Intelligence 115 High Temperature Super Waterless Coolant appears to be an Oz alternative and I think available from site sponsor Mainlube. http://liquidintelligence115.com.au/...TELLIGENCE_239
Old 23-10-2013, 03:08 AM   #15
MattSAU2XR8

In the topic of changing the coolant every two years, you can buy test sticks made by Castrol (sold at Repco) which you can dip in the coolant to see if it still has adequate alkaline protection or not. They give a range of outcomes, eg. good, intermediate, bad, so you have a reasonable idea where it's at. Only downside is that a pack of fifty costs about $30. But I suppose the upside is that if your coolant still had excellent protection at 2 years you might hold out for another year before changing it.

I'm not advising anyone to do this next bit, but when my glycol coolant (50 + % glycol) did start to lose a bit of alkalinity I just threw in 250 mls of coolant concentrate (green) as you would use with water based coolant in old cars - brought it back to nice and alkaline so I might be right for another year or so :-)
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #16
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

We refractometer for testing the antifreeze protection. When I got my car antifreeze protection level was fine but when drained radiator and sent away to be flushed it was over 35% blocked, which isnt bad but still.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #17
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
We refractometer for testing the antifreeze protection
I understood Refractometer testing only confirmed %age mix not if it was the coolant was degraded, acidic etc and was therefore primarily useful for preventing damage from freezing temps (perhaps an issue in NZ, Tassie or the Snowies but not generally in Perth or Brisbane). Indeed most coolant refractometers give you a reading indicating the freezing point for the mix.

Last edited by aussiblue; 23-10-2013 at 04:31 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #18
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
snake oil
I don't see how? It has a number of quite obvious benefits.
Old 23-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #19
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman View Post
I don't see how? It has a number of quite obvious benefits.
its a toss..

if you cant work that out..

happy spending..
Old 23-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #20
jay289

How is it a toss?

I would think that is what everyone would have been saying when fully synthetic
oil came onto the market.
jay289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #21
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkes View Post
you really should google it i did and seen some info on other forums that pointed out some things about it that don't work!!!

like how hot this stuff can get with out it letting you know!!!! it wont over flow and let you see steam like water will, so if your not looking at the temp (like you should) the engine has the chance to run way hotter then it was designed to some part of a motor are not designed to run that hot.....like eb-el 6cy heads lol

but check it out
*bump*
Old 23-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #22
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I see they have an Aussie website now http://www.evanscoolants.com.au/technical and if it is "snake oil" the ACCC and motoring clubs will soon be on to them.
Old 23-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #23
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

There are some interesting debates http://forums.aaca.org/f169/waterles...ce-309949.html

This is also interesting: http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm

Quote:
Conversion to Evans products also requires reprogramming of ECUs in modern vehicles with electric fans. Most vehicle ECUs are programmed to turn the fan on at a coolant temperature of 200-210oF, and turn the fan off at 180-190oF. Because engines run so much hotter with Evans coolant, the ECU must be reprogrammed to an Evans-recommended turn-on temperature of 230oF, and an Evans-recommended turn-off temperature of 215oF. Without reprogramming the ECU, the fans would run continuously

Snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In their advertising, Evans makes the claim that Evans NPG Coolant can maintain a substantially vapor free liquid to metal contact (nucleate vapor only) at all coolant temperatures and engine loads. In our research, we did not find this to be an accurate statement. As already referenced, we did observe a reduction of nucleate boiling with the Evans product. But we did not observe a substantially vapor free condition of nucleate boiling, as advertised by Evans. This was confirmed in laboratory simulations, utilizing an electric heat source that produced metal temperatures in the range 650-980oF.

Snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SUMMARY OF FINDINGS

Conversion costs of $259 if you do it yourself, or over $400 if you pay a shop to do it.

97%+ removal of all previous coolant is mandatory in order to prevent corrosion.

Inhibitor deposition occurs on aluminum surfaces, which could cause issues in some radiators.

Engines run 115-140oF hotter (at the cylinder heads) with Evans products.

Stabilized coolant temps are increased by 31-48oF, versus straight water with No-Rosion.

Reprogramming ECU fan temp settings is mandatory to prevent the fan from running continuously.

Specific heat capacity of Evans waterless products ranges from 0.64 to 0.68, or about half that of water.

Engine octane requirement is increased by 5-7 numbers.

Computerized ignition must retard engine timing by 8-10o to prevent trace knock.

Engine horsepower is reduced by 4-5%.

Accelerated recession of non-hardened valve seats in older engines is possible, due to brinelling.

Viscosity is 3-4 times higher than what OEM water pumps are rated to accommodate.

Coolant flow rate through radiator tubes is reduced by 20-25% due to the higher viscosity.

Race tracks prohibit Evans products because they are flammable and slippery when spilled.
Old 23-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #24
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Viscosity is 3-4 times higher than what OEM water pumps are rated to accommodate.

Coolant flow rate through radiator tubes is reduced by 20-25% due to the higher viscosity
I think that is the sealer for me in terms of saying "no " to Evans especially in those Fords using single acting thermostats particularly if you are in cold or altitude changing situations. In these cases even a too strong a normal glycol mix will make the coolant in the radiator so viscous that in the first few minutes after the warm up the coolant will tend to flow just through the bypass system as the super cooled coolant that is in the radiator will be too viscous to flow compared to the warmer less viscos stuff that has been flowing through the engine and bypass system. Heat soak and blown head gasket likely. An effective dual acting thermostat situation might be better as the poppet valve closes of the bypass system. But the cooling system in modern Oz Fords can be marginal anyway so I wouldn't be tempting fate even with a dual acting thermostat. Not "snake oil" but not a product Ford designed the engine or cooling system around - not too OEM spec.
Old 23-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #25
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Yeah, I'd like to see first hand more people using any new product for a while first and confirm it works, before I'll think about using it in my car.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #26
cowboy
Cowboy

I've spoken to a number of people using with great success.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #27
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Some further debate here http://www.v8registerdata.net/viewre...&topicid=11514 re it being combustible but not flammable.
Old 23-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #28
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I might try it in my 1963 EH Panel Van - there's not to much that will burn in that anyway.
Old 23-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #29
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Hmm they Evans have considered the viscosity issue:

Quote:
Thermostat and thermostat bypass hoses
With “Waterless” Coolants the thermostat is not needed in Hi performance systems, or for warm weather application. For cold weather applications or computer controlled engines install a Evans High Flow or Evans total flow thermostat of the proper temperature. Systems that use bypass type thermostat must plug the bypass port when removing the thermostat. Large suction (inlet) side bypass thermostats can bypass small quantities of coolant due to the higher suction pressures created by the pump. This could result in slightly higher operating temperatures. To correct - install the Evans total flow thermostat in the upper (pressure) hose.
The bypass hose connects the intake manifold with the water pump suction side, BB Chevy, SB&BB Ford, SB MOPAR all use a thermostat bypass hose that is unnecessary for HIGH PERFORMANCE use. Plugging the bypass hose forces all the coolant to flow though the radiator. The plug should be made of metal and large enough to seal the ID of the hose. Pipe plugs can be used to eliminate the hose completely.
CAUTION: After blocking the bypass circuit, only the specially designed EVANS Hi Flow or Total Flow Thermostat should be used or engine damage may occur.
For leak problems, Bars Leak Tablets or AlumiSeal are the only approved stop leak product for “Waterless” Coolants. Evans STOPLEAK Tablets are also available.
When using a coolant pump other than an Evans pump the weep hole must be plugged.
It is possible for air to be drawn in to the pump through the weep hole and passed the bearing shaft seal. A small pipe plug or silicone will do the job.
Use of a 7 lb. cap on “waterless” system is recommended for racing, street rod and performance enhanced vehicles. For applications where 7 lb. cap is not available, standard cap may be used. All stock – factory original computer controlled daily driven vehicles are coolant change only – no system changes are required.

Snip!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Coolant temperature “Spikes” in cold weather with NPG: During periods of extreme cold weather (10° F or below), some engines have a tendency to run at elevated temperatures at idle, 250 °F to 260 °F, and then return to normal levels when the vehicle is underway. In most cases the problem is due to an inherently large thermostat bypass circuit allowing the coolant to bypass the radiator through the open circuit at slow pump speeds. Or also caused by a restriction in the radiator and/or a very inefficient coolant pump, both of which result in reduced coolant flow when the coolant becomes more viscous in extremely cold weather. (NPG+ is recommended for cold weather use, NPG+ is less viscous of NPG.)
Although not detrimental to the engine, the situation can usually be corrected by blocking the thermostat bypass (usually located at the pump), removing the OE thermostat and installing an EVANS Total Flow Thermostat. Alternately, if available for your engine, an EVANS “Waterless” coolant pump may be installed. Evans pumps have blocked bypasses and more efficient pump impeller.
Old 24-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #30
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So it seems unless I own a pre WW2 rocket...

I would be largely inconvenienced and no benefit for the privelidge of running such snake juice.

yea nup