Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default 2014 Hyundai Genesis sedan spied

Quote:

This is the car Hyundai. hopes will change the way Australians look at it forever.

This image was published on a Korean car blog and well-placed sources have confirmed the shot is of the production version of the next generation Genesis sedan, a luxury offering that could come to Australia as a rival to the likes of Lexus and Infiniti.

While there has been no official confirmation it looks increasingly likely that Hyundai will introduce the Genesis sedan locally, possibly as early as 2014.

The new Genesis has a look that is a significant departure from Hyundai's current range, with an imposing, authoritative front fascia that has a similar appearance to Audi’s single-frame grille.
Advertisement

Hyundai is moving up in the world, and is in the process of changing its image from being value-driven to matching the quality customers expect from rivals built in Europe and Japan.

The next Genesis will offer a new all-wheel-drive system dubbed HTRAC, or Hyundai Traction. It electronically splits torque between the front and rear axles, and can either be controlled by computers, or allow customers to tailor their driving experience.

Hyundai has been testing its new system at the Nurburgring, and it could become a feature of high-performance models set to be launched under a new sub-brand similar to Holden’s HSV.

If the current Genesis sedan is anything to go by, the next model will be richly appointed, offering value to tempt buyers out of a base-model European luxury sedans.

The top-spec V8-powered Genesis is priced on parity with the four-cylinder BMW 528i in North America, which translates to less than $100,000 if the same pricing strategy carries over locally.

But previously Hyundai has indicated that the Genesis range would likely top out in the $60,000 range

The Genesis sedan should be followed by a two-door performance car expected to rival the Toyota 86 or Nissan 370Z.

Hyundai sold the rear-wheel-drive Genesis Coupe with V6 or turbocharged four-cylinder engines in several overseas markets, but the car was not made available locally because it is only built in left-hand-drive.

The next model has been confirmed for Australia, and will feature suspension tuned for Australian conditions.
http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...018-2vre8.html

Can't see much in the pic but what I can I have to say it looks good.
Not sure how it will sell though.

Old 18-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2014 Hyundai Genesis sedan spied

Looks OK to me too.
Old 18-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

If only it is RWD with a 4 litre inline six cylinder and six speed auto.
Hmmm?
Old 19-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar View Post
If only it is RWD with a 4 litre inline six cylinder and six speed auto.
Hmmm?
6 speed auto? Why would they do that when the current car has a ZF 8 speed as standard equipment?
This user likes this post:
Old 19-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

I reckon it looks great.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Old 20-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I was in Korea a few weeks ago. Saw some very nice looking new cars. I did a bit of research and was going to start my own thread but my just tag some images along seeing as it falls in line with the spirit of this thread.

Kia Cadenza (or K7). I thought this was the new Optima but it is larger. So far it isn't going to be available in OZ. Seems the Optima replacement is called the K5 over there.

What was that you say??? Looks familiar? Funny you say that, this was parked literally 50m behind it on the same road....

Rear end of an Equus VS460 (Hyundai's luxury brand - bit like what Lexus is for Toyota)

4.6L V8, good for 385HP (5L V8 optional). This is the second gen model, the first gen was very boxy looking and would not look out of place in a Godfather / Goodfellas movie set as most were black with dark black tints. Also comes in a stretch version.

New model Grandeur - wonder if this will be the new model i45 - shares the same lines? Looks like it is bigger than i45 and shares similar underpinnings to the K7.

Saw a lot of these tiny buzz boxes going around. Apparently they were only meant to be a trial EV car to be leased out but they proved popular enough to make and sell. Kia 'Ray'..

Seems urethane is too 'old school' for gluing body panels together... Koreans now use sweat shops to stitch their cars together....

Another model with regular opening doors:

Before people say Koreans have no taste in cars I have some more pics to wrap up:

The Ford Taxi was an interesting sight. The black ones are a premium service (think Silver Service ones for Sydney) Saw a few others driving around in my time but could honestly say I could count only 5-10 Fords on the road the whole 2 weeks I was there.

A few observations.... Koreans are driving bigger cars on average... most adults will be seen in a upper mid size or full size sedan. I saw 2 Velosters in the 2 weeks I was there, and 2 of the previous generation i30's, but not as many new ones as I would have expected.

Cheers!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 20-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it just me or does the spied pic of the Genesis look like they've basically mashed up everything in the market and put it together? Sort of Ford grillish euro (bmw-merc-audi) lighting with a hint of HSV with the DRLs and the body from A backwards looking like a lexus?

Also, is that a Taurus cab?
Old 20-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
Is it just me or does the spied pic of the Genesis look like they've basically mashed up everything in the market and put it together? Sort of Ford grillish euro (bmw-merc-audi) lighting with a hint of HSV with the DRLs and the body from A backwards looking like a lexus?

Also, is that a Taurus cab?
Yeh it's a cab. The taxi of choice in Seoul is the i45 in orange as just visible in front of the first small blue car I put up. Bit of an odd sighting to see a Ford there, let alone a Ford Taxi.

Old 21-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #9
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Kia Cadenza (or K7). I thought this was the new Optima but it is larger. So far it isn't going to be available in OZ. Seems the Optima replacement is called the K5 over there.

New model Grandeur - wonder if this will be the new model i45 - shares the same lines? Looks like it is bigger than i45 and shares similar underpinnings to the K7.
The Kia Cadenza is the Kia version of the Grandeur/Azera. It's bigger than the Sonata/i45. The Kia version of the Sonata/i45 is the Optima. The Kia version of the Genesis will be called Quoris, K9, or K900 (depending on the market).
Old 21-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
6 speed auto? Why would they do that when the current car has a ZF 8 speed as standard equipment?
Because replacing a $15k transmission when it milkshakes is much less desirable than replacing a $5k one.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 21-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Because replacing a $15k transmission when it milkshakes is much less desirable than replacing a $5k one.
Gee, there are gonna be some things we will miss when the Falcon goes,
or maybe not.
Old 21-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Thats otherwise knowen as a trend...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 22-10-2013, 02:46 AM   #13
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allpar.com
The replacement cost of this transmission (ZF 8HP), when we checked in December 2012, was $3,935 MSRP — which is what most dealers are likely to charge ordinary customers — or $2,950-$3,550 on-line via a mail-order dealership. http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html
Got a real reason why the ZF 8 speed should not be used?
Old 22-10-2013, 03:16 AM   #14
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the look of that "Kia Kadenza (K7)". And yes, it does mimic the Audi quite closely...but that isn't a bad thing. Car makers can win if they copy their reasonably priced cars on far more expensive ones.

Remember Clarkson making a comment about the Hyundai Tiburon? He said some reviewers had criticised it because it "looked too much like a Ferrari". Clarkson said "I'm sorry...complaining because your cheap Korean coupe looks too much like a Ferrari? That's like complaining because your wife looks too much like Uma Thurmon..."
4 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #15
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Ford 'cant' do it, but Hyundai 'can'............................ Unbelievable!
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

The Kia looks like an audi because iirc they have a couple of ex audi designers there now.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 25-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
trentski
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is it just me or does the spied pic of the Genesis look like they've basically mashed up everything in the market and put it together?
They've all got the same goals and so there isn't much you can do to differentiate it and still be the right size, the right width, the right height, the slipperiest through the air etc etc
Old 25-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #18
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Why anyone would want an auto in a RWD performance car is a mystery to me!!
Old 25-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #19
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More awkward looking Asian crap resembling something out of Germany. After 40 odd years of imitating you'd think they'd try something else. The trendy city slickers who can't afford a VW will still buy them.
Give it to the Koreans, it looks as though they support their local manufacturers.
Old 26-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
More awkward looking Asian crap resembling something out of Germany. After 40 odd years of imitating you'd think they'd try something else. The trendy city slickers who can't afford a VW will still buy them.
Give it to the Koreans, it looks as though they support their local manufacturers.
In NO other country have I ever met a people so supportive of their own brands.

I have been there 6 times now. In my last trip I was there 2 weeks and in all honesty I saw perhaps a dozen people on an iphone and perhaps a dozen non Korean cars. I think I saw a handful Fords, a single Chev, 2 Toyotas and a single Nissan badged car (Samsung actually sell cars in some sort of Joint venture with Nissan / Renault).

If you look into the Korean history, they have been invaded God knows how many times, persecuted, their language taken away from them, destroyed by war and left a 3rd world country requiring aide to re-establish themselves.

And after all that, they are the ONLY country I know of that has gone from such a low some 60 years ago to a global financial powerhouse that now gives aide to other countries...

Their people know very much how far they have come and their buying actions as a collective are not only to please themselves, but to support their country.

I'm already planning trip number 7.......

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 26-10-2013 at 01:35 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #21
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
They of course do not have "multiculturalism" diminishing their cultural identity, AND the local car industry is most probably protected by high import TARIFS - like any other sane country - giving the local product a vital national identity (patriotic imperative) and pricing advantage over imports.
Old 27-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #22
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Regarding the dying breed of Australian Cars (with the flood of cheap Korean Imports - with No Aust' Tarif protection)........Any news or spy shots on the 2014 Falcon, XR8 & GT et.al. ????
Old 28-10-2013, 03:08 AM   #23
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

Here's a scary thought: when I eventually want to buy a new affordable V8 sedan, after checking at the local Ford importer, sorry, dealership, the car I might be buying may well be a Hyundai!

Am I alone in finding this quite disturbing?

Mike

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
Old 28-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #24
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.r.johnstone View Post
Toyota too it seems!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/...6-saloon-cards

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 28-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #25
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.r.johnstone View Post
The 'Ford, of course' slogan from years ago has become 'Ford, of course not'. Sad days
Old 28-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #26
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Ghia Mike View Post
Here's a scary thought: when I eventually want to buy a new affordable V8 sedan, after checking at the local Ford importer, sorry, dealership, the car I might be buying may well be a Hyundai!

Am I alone in finding this quite disturbing?

Mike
No you're not the only one to find this disturbing because whilst the Hyundai group have been able to poach one or two key designers they're still years behind on the engine and suspension side of things in my opinion and their previous attemps to build premium large cars have been real disappointments with truly shocking re-sale values.

What to do in the future when the Falcon and Commondoor has gone...
Old 28-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #27
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
No you're not the only one to find this disturbing because whilst the Hyundai group have been able to poach one or two key designers they're still years behind on the engine and suspension side of things in my opinion and their previous attemps to build premium large cars have been real disappointments with truly shocking re-sale values.

What to do in the future when the Falcon and Commondoor has gone...
These people disagree with you, check 2012 back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward%27s_10_Best_Engines
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 28-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #28
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Engines and drivelines have come ahead in leaps and bounds in the last few years!
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Old 28-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #29
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Tau_engine
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Old 12-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #30
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good on em!

Engine details are still to be confirmed, but the existing 250kW 3.8 litre V6 and 320kW 5.0 litre V8 options are expected to continue.

2 users like this post:
Closed Thread