Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Question Ford Territory successor reveal at LA motor show?

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2013...MEIwJk5uZT0xNQ..

Quote:
Ford will unveil a new 'global SUV' at next month's Los Angeles motor show and the vehicle in question is likely to be a successor to the Edge medium-large crossover, tipped to become the next generation Territory in Australia.

The Edge SUV is currently sold in North America and the Middle East and the big difference between the imminent second-gen Edge and its predecessor is that the all-new vehicle will be sold across the globe.

"The expanding European SUV market is a unique opportunity for Ford and lands right in our sweet spot," Ford sales and marketing boss Jim Farley told UK Autocar magazine.

The new Edge could possibly be underpinned by a modified version of the CD4 platform used by the fifth-generation Mondeo, which debuted at the 2012 Paris motor show. A model dubbed simply 'Edge' was outed in a Deutsche Bank Global Auto Industry Conference (second photo), but it remains to be seen if this is the real deal.

Its introduction to the European market would give Ford a third rung in the SUV market, as the newcomer would sit above the Focus-based Kuga and Fiesta-based Ecosport.

The news is potentially of relevance to us too, as rumours suggest the Edge (and possibly the larger Flex) could be adapted for the Australian market as a replacement for the Territory when Ford ceases local production in 2016.

The existing Edge was first released in 2006, and a substantial mid-life overhaul for the 2011 model year has seen the vehicle post over 120,000 annual sales in the US over the past two years.

The all-new replacement is believed to have a more athletic look than the current car, and the existing Duratec V6 engines are set to get the chop as the second-gen vehicle will be offered solely with four-cylinder power, spearheaded by a new 2.3-litre Ecoboost turbo unit.

The existing Edge is a five-seater, but it's possible the replacement will offer seven-seat capability, which would boost its credentials as a successor to the Territory.

Whether or not it will wear Territory badges remains to be seen, but it would certainly make sense, given the strength and familiarity of the nameplate the Australian market.

Ford recently announced it would spend $720 million on upgrading its Oakville plant in Ontario, Canada, which builds the Edge, where the new Territory could be sourced.

"This investment is helping us find much needed capacity for global products and securing jobs, and it is positioning Oakville as one of the most competitive and important facilities in the Ford system," president of The Americas, Joe Hinrichs, was quoted as saying.

"If consumers suddenly shift their buying habits, we can seamlessly change our production mix without having to idle a plant," he said.

"Flexible manufacturing enables us to get vehicles to consumers faster than ever before. This is a great value proposition for everyone," stated Hinrichs.
My .2c - this car isn't really a direct replacement for the Territory. I'm thinking that Ford would be better off retiring the Territory badge and just running with the two all-new models (Edge and Everest) and taking it from there. Toyota flood the SUV segment and Holden are starting to and I think some fresh names might be needed to keep the interest of fickle buyers.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Default Re: Ford Territory successor reveal at LA motor show?

It'll probably be called Edge in Oz. No one would be fooled into thinking this is a Territory. The Territory's strong point was local design and manufacture which this obviously doesn't have.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This will fade into obsecurity and probably only sell as much as the Mazda CX9
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
It'll probably be called Edge in Oz. No one would be fooled into thinking this is a Territory. The Territory's strong point was local design and manufacture which this obviously doesn't have.
And I bet over 50% of people who own Territory’s has no idea where it is built. I once had a guy at work telling me the Focus RS was AWD & he owned one!!!

I think they would be mad to drop the Territory name. Just look at Kuga sales & that would tell you all. If they keep Territory, they'd get 1,000+ per month straight away no problems. If they bring Edge, they start from scratch & would be lucky to sell 500 per month.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
If they bring Edge, they start from scratch & would be lucky to sell 500 per month.
Same as when they dumped the Laser nameplate for Focus. It has taken the better part of 10 years to get some numbers from that nameplate
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I'm not sure about people not associating it as being a Territory if it keeps the name. What would've happened if we got an all new locally developed Territory?

It might be a bit late to think about the name anyway as they missed an opportunity by backtracking on their initial decision to sell the Mk2 Kuga as an Escape like the US. Had that been the case we could've had Ecosport, Escape, Edge and Endeavour. If they call it Territory the average fan thinks nothing of it, if they call it Edge then the Kuga looks weird but might have a point of difference
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Hasn't that already been leaked?

2014 Ford Edge Photo and Global Ford Lineup Leaked

Quote:
...It looks like one of the new 2014 Ford Edge photos has been leaked from some sort of Powerpoint presentation from Ford Motor Company’s corporate headquarters. While the picture here is a bit pixelated and blurry, it looks to be a photo of the brand new and next generation 2014 Edge SUV...
Old 16-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #8
Buntz
Straight Eight

Mmm... bland global product to blend in with all the other's
Old 16-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
AdamL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought Explorer would replace the Territory. They're everywhere is the US and look fantastic!
AdamL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Here's a clearer picture of the next Edge/Territory:

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/10/fut...tory-with.html
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Great work there Josh!
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamL View Post
I thought Explorer would replace the Territory. They're everywhere is the US and look fantastic!
Really, I think the next Edge is much better looking than the larger Explorer.

With Australia getting the Ranger based Everest as the larger more hard-core SUV there was no way the Explorer was ever coming here.

From the Carscoops link posted above;

Quote:
It’s also worth noting that the 2015 Edge will form the bases for Lincoln’s next MKX crossover and replace the long-serving Ford Territory SUV in Australia (the latter, along with the iconic Ford Falcon will cease production down under in 2016). Expect the Edge to be officially revealed later this year or early next year as a MY2015 entrant, and to be built at Ford’s Oakville plant in Ontario, Canada.
and the better EDGE pic;

vs EVEREST

vs EXPLORER

Old 16-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Lipstick on a pig. The Territory connoisseur won't be fooled!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Smile Re: Ford Territory successor reveal at LA motor show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1 View Post
Great work there Josh!
Cheers for the feedback!

Yes, the next Territory is looking rather good. Initially I was a bit worried with what I saw from the leaked powerpoint presentation CGI, but after a bit of tidying up, it's looking better.

As I mentioned in the article, most of the engine line-up in the U.S. will be 4-cyl. I just hope the nano V6 is still on the cards for us and the USA.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think all three of those SUVs look fantastic
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The Everest makes the Explorer look like exactly what it is - a soccer Mum's car. The Edge (if that render is close) looks better than both of them.

Imagine if they took the new Edge bodyshell and plonked it on the Territory's platform...now that would be a brilliant car.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 16-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
hodge_williams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
exactly. such a better looking vehicle IMO.
hodge_williams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

The Edge (Territory) and Everest could happily sit next to each other in a Ford dealership showroom, I believe they are very different vehicles for different buyers.

Leave the Explorer in the US.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

They need to keep the territory name, its worked well. And I know for a fact that some people think that its aleady an import anyway.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

i think that Territory's market will be replaced by both Everest and Edge both splitting and increasing combined sales.
To me Ford tried to cover two segments with the Territory but never really succeeded in both at the same time.

This is an opportunity to tune two vehicles up and down for Territory's existing position, I see it as a good move
after Territory ends.... but not before.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #21
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
i think that Territory's market will be replaced by both Everest and Edge both splitting and increasing combined sales.
To me Ford tried to cover two segments with the Territory but never really succeeded in both at the same time.
Exactly! I know quite a few people that looked at the Territory but found it too small. They ended up with 'Cruisers...
And considering how many Land Cruisers are on the road and the asking price for them, there's quickly a cashed-up market out there!
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #22
Blue_XR

I really like the styling direction of the Everest and the Edge. There will be nothing to stop Ford exploring new sales to make up for the loss of sales from the Falcon and Territory.

I am a fan of the current Explorer however in the above pictures it looks dated compared to the Everest and the Edge. I'm sure it will receive a make over though. These will be great vehicles with great tech.
Old 16-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #23
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Anyone know what the offroad capabilities of the Edge are?
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
Anyone know what the offroad capabilities of the Edge are?
Zero, it's a soft roader, the existing one is like a CX-7 sized but built on CX9 platform.
The new one will be based on CD4 - Fusion/Mondeo/S-Max/Galaxy platform
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #25
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

So, the Edge is in reality the successor of the Territory?

What about naming Everest as Territory, and the Edge as a Territory Edge? similar to how Toyota markets the Prado...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #26
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
So, the Edge is in reality the successor of the Territory?

What about naming Everest as Territory, and the Edge as a Territory Edge? similar to how Toyota markets the Prado...
You know what, that's just crazy enough to work.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #27
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

It could work seeing as the Everest badge is unknown here and has no badge cred. Then again neither has Edge, but positioning the "next generation Territory" as an off roader with tough looks could maintain the interest of Territory buyers...

Old 17-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #28
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

i hate suv's

carry on
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #29
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused View Post
Exactly! I know quite a few people that looked at the Territory but found it too small. They ended up with 'Cruisers...
And considering how many Land Cruisers are on the road and the asking price for them, there's quickly a cashed-up market out there!
Both Edge and Everest will be smaller than Territory as far as passenger space goes, ther Territory is pretyy spacious.. Explorer is bigger again.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #30
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I'd imagine the only thing holding back the interior space would be the floor won't be as flat as Territory.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post