Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation QPol get Automated Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) technology

POLICE will soon target crime hot spots by digitally capturing number plates with the help of Automated Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) technology.

Police Minister Jack Dempsey said ANPR, which has been used in relation to road safety since 2011, would be used for broader law enforcement purposes for the first time in Queensland.

"Units will be trialled in unmarked vehicles over 12 months in areas with significant crime hot spots including burglaries, sexual assaults, stolen vehicles and drug related offences," Mr Dempsey said.

"ANPR captures an image of a vehicle's registration number, an image of the vehicle and the time, date and location of the photograph, all of which will be used to help in police investigations.

"The ANPR units will be another tool police officers have to help them keep Queensland communities safe.

"The government is making sure police have the best equipment available, which is why in the 2013-14 budget $70.6 million was set aside for new and upgraded operational equipment."

Deputy Commissioner Ross Barnett said the expansion of ANPR to broader purposes could include using the technology to identify the movements of vehicles or people implicated in criminal offences.

"ANPR is an efficient technology that will be used as an additional tool to help police investigations," Deputy Commissioner Barnett said.

Deputy Commissioner Barnett said accountability mechanisms would ensure the appropriate deployment of ANPR units and address any privacy concerns.

"ANPR units will only be deployed for broader law enforcement purposes under the authority of a commissioned officer," he said.

"This initiative will be thoroughly evaluated at the conclusion of the trial."
http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au...4706/#comments

Last edited by csv8; 07-08-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: add link
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 
Default Re: QPol get Automated Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) technology

inb4everyonecriesoutaboutrevenuerasing
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Revenue raising at its finest.

Police should catch real criminals.

What about my rights and freedom in this nanny state?

I got a speeding fine and I dont know if it was me.

Thread can probably be closed now.

On a more serious note, its about time. Awesome piece of technology, that every police car should have.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Are these units able to do the recognition in real time? That would certainly be interesting for catching stolen cars.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Don't get me started on this subject. Traffic cops have had this for a while. Just blatant money grabbers for the greedy govt targeting the easy way to make money by calling it road safty . How about using the money to prosecute the lowlifes that broke into my house . they Identified them , but apparently Fingerprints aren't enough evidence to prosecute someone who steals a couple of thousand dollars worth of my belongings from a house they were never allowed to be in after they forced their entry !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Had them in NSW for a while now, mainly used for revenue raising instantly identifying unregistered vehicles or vehicles whose rego has been cancelled due to owners not paying fines pull them over and issue more fines. Most HWP cars have them and leave them on all the time....keeps the revenue meter ticking over nicely.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Are these units able to do the recognition in real time? That would certainly be interesting for catching stolen cars.
Yep right then and there. Also can pick up if the registered owner is currently licensed, registration, etc. Been used in NSW for quite some time

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

It's not revenue raising. If you pay your rego, you've got nothing to worry about!

;)

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Good Technology that will get alot of Unregistered and UnRoadworthy cars off the road, how anyone can complain about Police getting equipment to be more effective and efficient in their job is beyond me.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
Matty4
Banana

Agree with others. This is a good bit of tech.
It's not revenue raising at all. It's about locating and removing unlicenced drivers, unregistered cars, wanted drivers etc etc.

It isn't foolproof because if you're unlicenced but driving a fully registered car in someone else's name it won't pick you up, but if you're stupid enough to be driving your own car whilst unlicenced or unregistered, then tough!!!

Get these people off the road...
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
Good Technology that will get alot of Unregistered and UnRoadworthy cars off the road, how anyone can complain about Police getting equipment to be more effective and efficient in their job is beyond me.
BS, Victoria has it and there is still all these crappy 90s cars getting around on bald tyres with one working brake light.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Matty4
Banana

It can't detect unroadworthy cars at all, just unregistered.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's an extention of the existing ANPR setup to expand into cross referencing with wanted subjects.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
I don't get it either. Much faster than manually running plates. Link it to cross reference the registered owners against prior or current matters and it becomes more powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
It can't detect unroadworthy cars at all, just unregistered.
I think you will find a good amount of unregistered and/or unlicenced drivers have unroadworthy cars.

On its own you are right but that is beyond its capabilities.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 07-08-2013 at 08:25 PM.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I think you will find a good amount of unregistered and/or unlicenced drivers have unroadworthy cars.

On it's own you are right but that is beyond its capabilities.
Bingo.

The more people they grab driving whilst suspended or driving an unregistered car the better, while they are at it the police have a chance to look over the vehicle and review its roadworthy condition.

Of course the system doesn't pick up if a car is roadworthy or not, however if they did develop a system that did detect that i'm sure we would have a number of posters complaining about the police having it to easy, or of course there is the revenue raising line.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #16
Statler

I could be reading more into this than others. The interesting part is

Police Minister Jack Dempsey said ANPR, which has been used in relation to road safety since 2011, would be used for broader law enforcement purposes for the first time in Queensland.

"Units will be trialled in unmarked vehicles over 12 months in areas with significant crime hot spots including burglaries, sexual assaults, stolen vehicles and drug related offences," Mr Dempsey said.

"ANPR captures an image of a vehicle's registration number, an image of the vehicle and the time, date and location of the photograph, all of which will be used to help in police investigations.

so rather than use the camera for capturing unregistered cars - which I fully support, it appears they are going to capture the rego numbers in crime hot spots and use the rego numbers to assist in coming up with a suspect list. I am not sure that I can go that far in supporting the camera's use.

There are a whole heap of points on both sides -and it should have wider community discussion to fully understand the implications of using the cameras in that fashion and the potential to miss a potential suspect because of not using it

regards
Statler
Statler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #17
damo6
turbo pilot

Mates Mrs was driving his car as he had run out of points,she got pulled over twice for a licence check, traffic branch stormtroopers got her both times using this device.
damo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #18
Kevxr8Leexr6

Two things I can see. - usually burglaries, thefts etc use stolen cars .? detecting them as stolen on the move is a prevention. good thing if reported early enough to catch them.
And if a car/cars are parked in front or around know criminal areas and picked up on these devices, wouldnt it be feasible to use the footage if something did go down in the future.

last but not least, whether suspended or unregistered, if you got hit by one of them . there goes your chance of getting your bucks from that car/person.
Kevxr8Leexr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #19
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo6 View Post
Mates Mrs was driving his car as he had run out of points,she got pulled over twice for a licence check, traffic branch stormtroopers got her both times using this device.
Had the same thing, but in the scheme of things i didn't really care. I don't want unlicensed drivers on the road causing a crash and then not getting money to fix my car because their insurance wont pay. Until some of you guys have an unregistered vehicle or unlicensed driver cause harm to a loved one or your property and then not get any financial assistance i don't think you will understand.

This is great news and i fully support it.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #20
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Victoria have had these for a few years, they use them in shopping center car parks driving along reading plates, if your car comes up with any outstanding fines, warrants, etc your car is clamped on the spot until you pay the money owed to the sheriffs OFFICE.

On the weekend they clamped plenty of cars at the Essendon V Collingwood at the MCG.
People were left stranded in the city, ONE GUY OWED $26,000.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law...-1226691223607

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #21
karj
XY Falcon

No rego means no insurance (CTP).

I'll bet the people who complain about this being revenue raising would be the first to complain about getting injured by an uninsured driver...
4 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #22
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no rego probably means no other insurance: comprehensive or 3rd party property, so the less unregoed cars on the road the better
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #23
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's probably a good use of the technology to track stolen cars, rather than expired rego...