Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default No Dyno Sheet after dyno tune?

Hey guys just got my car dyno tuned (lpg tuned in this too) at the local place (good reputation) and my father picked the car up earlier today but the bloke only gave him a receipt and no dyno chart (i asked for the chart beforehand). My main concern is whether my dyno run was recorded and can be printed off at a later date like he says or if it needed to be done when the car was on the dyno. He said the printer had no ink so hopefully should be sorted out over the next few days I'm just a tiny bit concerned.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 29-07-2013 at 06:51 PM.
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: No Dyno Sheet after dyno tune?

Get him to email it, pretty trivial to print to a PDF
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Tuners will always save the chart.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like they said.
My tuner mailed it to me later
Legit290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Although, usually unless you specifically ask for it, they usually don't bother handing them out...or even printing them out for that matter. 90% of people getting a "dyno tune" won't want, or understand, the chart anyway so why bother? They just want their car "dyno tuned", and that's that.

However, if you're dealing with a place that is heavily into engine modifications, and most of the clientele are performance oriented people, then they'll whip the chart out and show it to you straight away.

Different shops, different ways of doing things depending on the clients they usually get.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
zilo
BANNED

You need a before and after, not just the final dyno sheet.

Else how do you know it's tuned?
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #7
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cheers guys that's a relief haha I'll ask him to email them out tomorrow he said it was only putting out around 80rwkw so I'm keen to see them.

I just took it for a test drive and the lpg tuning is waaaay out to the point of stalling and spluttering, jerking back and forth, not sure what the go is here exactly but I'll know more tomorrow. I've pinpointed the car's leans out with the accelerator BARELY depressed while under load (ie. assuming 800rpm idle, accelerating at 900RPM up a hill and it will just choke out), it's the exact same feeling a car gets when the fuel pumps dying and I definitely don't want to lean out the motor I've recently half rebuilt! I figured all the afr ratios would come up on the dyno avoiding such an issue but I'll know more tomorrow hopefully!
Old 30-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You just got it dyno tuned and it's running like that...?

I thought the idea of dyno tuning was to be able to run the car and set everything up to run the most efficiently while being able to have it sit there were you can adjust things "on the run" as it were? I thought they would have caught all that bad running behaviour...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

the problem is some shops will offer to do things very cheap, so corners have to be cut, it shouldn't be this way but is happens all the time whether trying to undercut another quoted price or because that's all the customer wants to pay for, they may have just done some WOT tuning but it should really have been discussed with the shop before posting on forums

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

When I got mine tuned, no one came out and explained what was done, what the chart means, what gains I got etc.

Was pretty much, here is the chart, swipe your card here's your receipt gtfo my shop
Old 30-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
but it should really have been discussed with the shop before posting on forums
Yes, I'm sure they would've said "For that price we'll dyno your car, won't print you out a dyno chart because our printer is out of ink, and it will run like a dog on part-throttle" and the OP would've still gone ahead with it.

Not having a go at you personally, but I read regularly of people whinging about workshops and 'is this normal' questions on here, communication is a two-way thing and the workshops need to participate in it too - openly and honestly.

EDIT: kable posted a reasonable example of this as well before I finished typing.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #12
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Would anyone like to read my graph and tell me what it means? Lol, more specifically the numbers in this little grid thing?
Old 30-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

What does 'dyno' mean? I just brought my car in because all my mates had been here.
Old 30-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
What does 'dyno' mean?
What's a chart?
Old 30-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
What does 'dyno' mean? I just brought my car in because all my mates had been here.
Dynamometer but I suspect I am missing something in your question.
Old 30-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #16
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Dynamometer but I suspect I am missing something in your question.
Yep you're missing the sarcasm

Don't worry, Sarcasm is hard to read on the internet.
Old 30-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
Yep you're missing the sarcasm
Correcto-mundo Anyway, I'll leave well enough alone now. Enough sillyness out of me for the day. But my comment about communication with workshops still stands.

Cheers.
Old 30-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #18
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure they would've said "For that price we'll dyno your car, won't print you out a dyno chart because our printer is out of ink, and it will run like a dog on part-throttle" and the OP would've still gone ahead with it.
you would think so, but it doesn't happen like that at all in some places or some trades, the dyno printer may have run out of ink on the previous car, who knows what really went on

Old 30-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #19
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
you would think so, but it doesn't happen like that at all in some places or some trades, the dyno printer may have run out of ink on the previous car, who knows what really went on
Dunno about those places but the place I work at keeps spare printer cartridges in the cupboard just in case.

Not having a go at you just there are places out there that don't care once they have their money. After sales service is needed everywhere.
Old 30-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #20
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I keep spares ones as well, but as I said, different business operate differently and some only care about the money, customer satisfaction does not even rate on their radars

3 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #21
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
I keep spares ones as well, but as I said, different business operate differently and some only care about the money, customer satisfaction does not even rate on their radars
I know what you mean there.
Old 30-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #22
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
Would anyone like to read my graph and tell me what it means? Lol, more specifically the numbers in this little grid thing?
http://fordforums.com.au/showpost.ph...ostcount=14434
From what i can tell the numbers in the box on your graph are:

BP - Barometric pressure
RH - Relative humidity?
AT - Ambient temperature
IT - Intake temperature
RR - Ramp rate

not sure what the next 3 are

CF - not sure but theyve set shootout 6 which is related to the ramp rate i think

Tyre press and gear are self explanatory.

I cant explain what all the numbers themselves mean, other than its all put into the computer to either load up the dyno differently or used to calculate power. Somebody experienced on a dyno could help you out on explaining the numbers. One thing i have been told is you can trick the dyno running higher pressure. They've entered 50psi on yours which i doubt is what you were running. The last dyno run i did was the same and i only had 34psi on the tyres.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #23
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tyre pressure does not trick the dyno reading at all, tyre pressures are normally increased to stop tyre deformation and help stop overheating the tyre, we usually use 40 psi in all case to remain consistent, the operator may do the same but chose to use 50 psi

Old 30-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #24
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I was told that by somebody who managed to do it, they increased the psi and the power went up
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #25
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

power can be down on a tyre that is too soft due to deformation if it is strapped too tight, but it can overheat and then give incorrect readings

Old 30-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Quote:
power can be down on a tyre that is too soft due to deformation if it is strapped too tight, but it can overheat and then give incorrect readings
Would a tyre with 50psi be less likely to deform and overheat than a tyre with 40psi in it, if they were both strapped in the same way? Would it be more likely to achieve a higher power reading under these conditions? Why did you choose exactly 40psi as your 'benchmark' tyre pressure? Are strap tensions measured and reported, or consistent across dynos?

Just interested in this discussion in general EDIT: because valuable contributors like you are raising interesting points /EDIT. Don't feel like I'm targeting you specifically for answers, I'd be interested in hearing from any workshop/dyno operator on this. These dyno threads really are interesting, since so many people put so much stock into dyno sheets and what they say. It seems to be a forum mainstay for some people to cry 'happy dyno' and so I'm just interested in how operators work to achieve uniformity and comparability in dyno readings. Thanks again.

Last edited by Alan D Segal; 30-07-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 30-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #27
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last place i had my car on a dyno don't even strap 'em down. Scary seeing tyre smoke on the rollers!
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #28
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was told 40 psi when I purchased my dyno and was trained so use that every car to remain as consistent as possible. 40 to 50 psi possibly would not show a difference in power at all but 50 may be too much for some tyres, the info on the sidewall should clarify that, running them too low can cause the tyre to deform as it get pushed into the roller and the flex may create too much heat, many tyres loose their performance when they get too hot. There is no magic number, but the main thing is the same operator retest the same way every time.

Strapping methods can vary quite a bit also, I have found that too loose a strap actually loses power on the strapping set up on my dyno, but can see on some dynos that pull the car backwards away from the front roller, how power can vary with how tight the straps are applied.

But I think we are getting off topic a little now from the op's original questions

Old 30-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #29
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have though putting a call through to the tuner first would have been logical?

Anyway, tyres do make a difference. I've seen the same car drop 100rwhp going from street tyres to ET streets on the dyno.
Also seen numbers change significantly depending where the operator puts the temp probe.
If you watch heaps of dyno vids, you'll see people constantly shooting for big numbers. Many of these cars tend to climb up on the front roller reducing the load resulting in higher numbers.
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #30
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not all dynos have a temp probe which can influence power numbers, some use an automatic weather station