Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default beeping your horn-turn a near miss into an accident?

It seems the first thing someone does if they are about to have an accident is jump on the horn (watch youtube - they even beep animals before the smash them)

Well I had an L plater turn in front of me while riding my motorcycle. I probably missed her rear bumper by 10cm. Although i had little time to think I did consciously decide not to sound the horn because it would most likely have caused her to stop or slow down - no one speeds up when they hear a horn . If she even slowed down 2% it would have resulted in my going over the car.

and paying attention to the road 1000% and not the stereo (or watching the speedo) probably saved my life - well and ABS

as for the Learner co-driver - she was using her iphone - they didnt even realise I was there until i turned around chased them and politely informed them of what just happened - i am sure they will pay more attention from now on.

steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default Re: beeping your horn-turn a near miss into an accident?

I've seen people accelerate when reversing at the sound of a horn, with the inevitable
crunch.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No good being "DEAD" right.
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

I've had near misses, and ALWAYS hit the brakes/whatever I need to do to avoid before I'd use the horn. Often it happens so quickly I never have time.

Did though the other night when a new MX-5 overtook me (doing the 90 limit) in front of an oncoming vehicle, after he'd managed to get in front of me on the right side of the road!
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
geehaa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a funny observation - you're right, there is no time to sound the horn. In fact, on reflection, I only ever do it when it's not that close. Who knew?
geehaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I sound the horn so that people who have obviously done a dick move they know about it and so does everyone else in the near vicinity. Followed by a bird and a shameful comment on my part and drive off.
4 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Raysie

I've been a part of a few near misses, however my instinct has always been to evade - Not beep the horn.

The only time I've ever really used the horn is to say bye to family when leaving, and telling the guy in front of me at a traffic light that we've had a green light for 5 seconds now.
Raysie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glad you were on the ball, a classic example why friends and family are not the best choice of teachers with driving. Good point re the horn.
Stay safe.
cheers
Bill.
Old 27-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

I made someone crash by beeping my horn at someone else. It was one of those left lane ends merge right scenarios. (dandy frankston road just after the bypass for those laying at home)

Some guy cut in front of me so i gave him a good blast and the person in the merge lane ***** themselves and crashed into the traffic island. It was pretty funny but i also felt bad at the same time.
Though probably if they'd paid more attention to the road and conditions theyd would have merged over earlier instead of leaving it to the last 10 meters
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub247 View Post
I made someone crash by beeping my horn at someone else. It was one of those left lane ends merge right scenarios. (dandy frankston road just after the bypass for those laying at home)

Some guy cut in front of me so i gave him a good blast and the person in the merge lane ***** themselves and crashed into the traffic island. It was pretty funny but i also felt bad at the same time.
Though probably if they'd paid more attention to the road and conditions theyd would have merged over earlier instead of leaving it to the last 10 meters
I laughed, have a like.
This user likes this post:
Old 27-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou View Post
It seems the first thing someone does if they are about to have an accident is jump on the horn (watch youtube - they even beep animals before the smash them)

Well I had an L plater turn in front of me while riding my motorcycle. I probably missed her rear bumper by 10cm. Although i had little time to think I did consciously decide not to sound the horn because it would most likely have caused her to stop or slow down - no one speeds up when they hear a horn . If she even slowed down 2% it would have resulted in my going over the car.

and paying attention to the road 1000% and not the stereo (or watching the speedo) probably saved my life - well and ABS

as for the Learner co-driver - she was using her iphone - they didnt even realise I was there until i turned around chased them and politely informed them of what just happened - i am sure they will pay more attention from now on.
Pretty sure they wont be more careful from now on , they will just continue on their merry way , blissfully unaware of the chaos happening where they have been .

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
XR8_ash
2 wheel pilot, V8 novice.

Sitting in my car years ago in QLD, I was in a carpark waitng for a chick in her 4WD to reverse out of her space. As she reversed out she didn't see me so a quick honk on the horn ended up me ON THE HORN 100 %. She didn't see nor hear me ?!?!?!? FFS .... Woman in 4WDs in the city ..... She definitely left knowing my opinion ...
APRILIA SXV|WEAPON|Re-built engine|AKRAPOVIC Ti exhaust|AF 1 Air filter|Custom map.

Now I’m of to make a series of comments on the internet intended to promote interest and then complain about everyone quizzing me.
XR8_ash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8_ash View Post
Sitting in my car years ago in QLD, I was in a carpark waitng for a chick in her 4WD to reverse out of her space. As she reversed out she didn't see me so a quick honk on the horn ended up me ON THE HORN 100 %. She didn't see nor hear me ?!?!?!? FFS .... Woman in 4WDs in the city ..... She definitely left knowing my opinion ...
Some people just need to be punched in the face with a deck chair. It's unreal how bad some people can be at seeing what is happening around them.
Old 27-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
peteypete
Sunny side up

Have any of you been in a situation where it's happened so quick you think 5 seconds after they're driven off 'Damn, I wish I blasted my horn at them :('
It's almost like a relief button, as much as swearing is to a stubbed toe. I always feel like I come out the winner when I toot someone, but if they toot me it's world war 3.
Genies>hi-flow cat>X-Force 2.5" Catback. Stage 2 crow cams. Powerbond 20% Underdrives. Bent tab. BC racing Coilovers. Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars. SS Inductions Growler + XR8 snorkel + Territory intake pipe. More to come. Thread coming soon.

[P]Plater

Past rides:

1998 NL Ghia Concorde (Now Dads car)

1954 Austin A40
peteypete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #15
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Multitasking is the way to go when driving,i always blast my horn when stupid unaware people are about to drive into me or change lanes on me and its saved me from an easy 50 accidents,its not hard to be beeping the horn and getting on the brakes at the same time in case they dont hear you,because they obviously cant see you!
If i beep the horn to make someone aware that they are about to smash into my car and that then causes them to crash,good job they should be more awake and aware while driving,its their fault not mine,your horn is there for emergency situations to let other people know you are there,use it accordingly!
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I use my horn on average 3 times on the way to and from work (27km each way). Some people are just oblivious and shouldn't be on the road. Don't think I've ever caused an accident doing so but have prevented a few.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #17
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was sitting at some lights in the right turn lane behind an older lady driver, she didnt enter the intersection when the red arrow extinguished so i gave her a friendly toot.She panics and floors it and almost slams into the oncomming traffic at 80ks stopping at the last moment.She then starts screaming at me in the rear vision mirror. Prob needs to take her meds.....
danzvtil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #18
4stanger