Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How many kilometeres out of Territory?

Looking at possibly buying a pre 2010 petrol Territory and converting to Liquid gas injection later in the year..... Gotta have less than 100,000 on it...will spend up to 15k.....thers a few around to....Just wondering how long a Territory will last in kilometres over say the next five years... I reckon they'll do 500,000k's wouldn't they?

GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How many kilometeres out of Territory?

if you look after it yes. remember they have the Falcon 6 in them and they are a strong engine

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

And while I have not run gas on them, I hear huge long engine life out of them on a good gas conversion.
Old 22-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes well LPG does make an engine run smoother and is a cleaner fuel to burn so it makes sense....No wonder taxi's use it....And because it's sooooo cheap!

Any problems with Territory's to look out for apart from ball joints? Are there updated ball joint that can be fitted?
Old 22-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gas is actually kinder to an engine than petrol , you will notice on a gas car the oil stays cleaner due to not getting contaminated by the small amount of partly burnt petrol that goes down the cylinder wally into the sump. pull the rocker cover of a car that has only ever run on gas and you will see the ally has remained silver rather turning to a golden colour like on a petrol engine as there are no combustion deposits in the oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
And while I have not run gas on them, I hear huge long engine life out of them on a good gas conversion.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

All suspension wears. If you can find a good one at a dealer not quite out of its three year warranty you could pay the dealer an extra $1800 to cover everything for another three years. Our 150,000km old Territory is just about to run out of its six years next month.
This user likes this post:
Old 22-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
gas is actually kinder to an engine than petrol , you will notice on a gas car the oil stays cleaner due to not getting contaminated by the small amount of partly burnt petrol that goes down the cylinder wally into the sump. pull the rocker cover of a car that has only ever run on gas and you will see the ally has remained silver rather turning to a golden colour like on a petrol engine as there are no combustion deposits in the oil
Ye I been running LPG on all my cars for years.....love the stuff!
Old 22-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All suspension wears. If you can find a good one at a dealer not quite out of its three year warranty you could pay the dealer an extra $1800 to cover everything for another three years. Our 150,000km old Territory is just about to run out of its six years next month.
Was more thinking of a private sellers car... A few around with less than 100k on clock too.... An SR would do me fine.....They must be nice to drive being up high and so much room?
Old 22-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Was more thinking of a private sellers car... A few around with less than 100k on clock too.... An SR would do me fine.....They must be nice to drive being up high and so much room?
Maybe you should drive one??
Old 22-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
Agile

Quote:
Allow for a $3300 suspension rebuild every 130,000 km and a set of rotors on the front every 60,000. From my experience. Not too bad for a 2 tonne car. You will get a bargain with a good second hand car. Good move , unless you want all the gizmos of a new car
Agile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agile View Post
Allow for a $3300 suspension rebuild every 130,000 km and a set of rotors on the front every 60,000. From my experience. Not too bad for a 2 tonne car. You will get a bargain with a good second hand car. Good move , unless you want all the gizmos of a new car
No I don't need all the technology rubbish...how are you supposed to use it if you are supposed to be watching the road driving?

Family members have an older one that done a trip around Oz last year and they have been talking about updating...Might give them a reasonable offer....Still gotta allow for Liquid Injection Install too. $3300 for suspension...OUCH... what wheres out on them?
Old 22-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No I don't need all the technology rubbish...how are you supposed to use it if you are supposed to be watching the road driving?

Family members have an older one that done a trip around Oz last year and they have been talking about updating...Might give them a reasonable offer....Still gotta allow for Liquid Injection Install too. $3300 for suspension...OUCH... what wheres out on them?
You could always hunt around for one with the gas conversion already done.

Also have you worked out if gas is actually cheaper than petrol with the cost of a system like that.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #13
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
You could always hunt around for one with the gas conversion already done.

Also have you worked out if gas is actually cheaper than petrol with the cost of a system like that.

Yes I have and I want the latest tech LI system I can get like JTG.... I cant believe how cheap second hand cars are these days.

Check out the 'LPG or not' thread....A guy has just done Darwin to Bunderberg return for $826 in a BA wagon!

Just spoke to local mechanic and he reckons he's seeing Territorys with 400,000 k's and they're still going fine.....Only poor point is the suspension wear.... Also the replace ball joints under Ford warranty are no different to the old style ones he reckons...Reckons they're imported?
Old 22-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
JG34JA

EF_6

Have the 2007 SR (black out wheels, first black interior) - we are at 180,000 and it's still solid as a rock.

Look out for the balljoint recall being done, look out for rust under the lower tailgate rubbers - this might have been repaired on warranty too. I agree that suspension rebuild every 130 would be a good thing, the cars are fantastic and at their best when suspension is new/renewed to drive.

Inline 6 and AWD with ZF is a treat and long lasting - our motor still doesn't chew a drop of oil (I was "enthusiastic" running it in...)

7 seats also a bonus. Been a very enjoyable car to own, just been battling snow drifts with ours
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my brother has an 06 ghia and a mate has an 06 ghia turbo and both have driveshaft issues but both replaced under warranty, engines are great, 6 speeds seem to be great but they are both worried about when and if they will fail as the old 4speed was about 180km before they gave up due to ford saying its a sealed unit and only needing a service under extreme conditions (eg, extended highway, towing so-on)
so if you buy one make sure you service the auto trans
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
my brother has an 06 ghia and a mate has an 06 ghia turbo and both have driveshaft issues but both replaced under warranty, engines are great, 6 speeds seem to be great but they are both worried about when and if they will fail as the old 4speed was about 180km before they gave up due to ford saying its a sealed unit and only needing a service under extreme conditions (eg, extended highway, towing so-on)
so if you buy one make sure you service the auto trans
Ye I always service the old BTR 4 spd at 50,000 anyways.....A ZF 6 spd would be nice!
Old 23-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
JG34JA

A word on the transmission, ours developed a bleed at a seal and this was fixed with all fluid replaced. Since the ZF is not supposed to be serviced as such (?) there was a noticeable improvement in shifting with the new fluid...
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
Trump
bitch lasagne

Sealed for life is the biggest load of codswallop I've ever heard. Change the transmission fluid every 60,000km and you'll be fine.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #19
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I havent spent $3,300 on mine to date, its about $800 to get the main 3 rear bushes done at Ford. but mines RWD so less to go wrong.

If the O/P wants to spend $15K youd be stuggling to get anything newer than a Territory that would have more features. (even if you dont need them)

definitely a good move for gas, I recommend the RWD for the search
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #20
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ye i'm only after a RWD. Any of them got Limited Slip Diff? Just spoke to sister in law and hers is a 2004 model so its the first model made....Its done about 180,000k's.... Any problems with the first ones?
Old 23-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #21
mcnews
Trev

Even the AWD doesn't have a slippery diff, but it will get you out of situations that the RWD wouldn't make a metre.
Old 23-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #22
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

O.k....might have a look for an AWD too then.......Would be some extra wear and tear on an AWD though like drive shafts and universal joints?
Wonder if an LSD could be fitted from say a BA-BF to a RWD car.....would have to be the same ratio though?
Old 23-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #23
mcnews
Trev

Nothing in the driveline has been replaced or needed attention during its 150,000km thus far on our 07 AWD Ghia.
Old 23-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #24
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nothing in the driveline has been replaced or needed attention during its 150,000km thus far on our 07 AWD Ghia.
Gees that's good for an AWD.....might look on carsales now.
Old 23-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #25
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just spoke to Ferntree Gully Auto Salvage.....They can fit a 3.47 BF diff into a RWD for 1k.....BF LSD are rare he said...... Now where talking!
Old 23-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #26
richiez1983
Starter Motor

check out pickles austions
http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/item/...oors/103257143

bit more k's than you wanted
richiez1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #27
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More like check out these....AWD, 100 oddk's 14 and 15 grand.....God damn....who needs to buy new cars these days?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...D-958117/?Cr=6

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...14&show=videos
Old 23-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #28
xr gr8
Winter White Weapon

The Cooks Terri has just clocked 290,000k
Owned it six years
Apart from upgrades etc its had 1 core plug a battery and two door locks.
Had the auto serviced when we purchased the car (205,000k) and I do oil/filters etc every 10k.
Drives, handles and stops brilliantly.
Hands down the best vehicle I've owned
There are many knockers of the Territory...but I'm not one of them.
xr gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #29
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you run 'Nulon' 5W30 Synthetic oil you can get 15,000 k's between services on 'the big six' too! I did that with my BF ute..
Old 24-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #30
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All suspension wears.
But nothing like the Territory. Suspension is its weakest point. I've never experienced a car where the suspension goes to crap after such short km (and that's after getting over the early trauma of the ball joint issue on our first Terri and even then we sold it because the suspension was going).

The trim and a few other little things are an issue, but not overwhelming. The engine's great, albeit with wallet-emptying fuel consumption, but you have to expect that for the size of the car.

You have to keep reminding yourself that the driving experience is unsurpassed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agile View Post
Allow for a $3300 suspension rebuild every 130,000 km
I guess then at $1,700 I've got off lightly.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post