Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default perfect parking spot

guys, like you i am a motoring enthusiast. i may not have a cobra, mustang, FPV or anything special, but i love my machines, and do everything i can to preserve them.

that includes parking ridiculaous distances away from busy carparks to avoid kids opening doors on my car etc.

last sunday we drove to Lobethal in SA to do slot car racing. wide street, plenty of parking, sunday in adelaide country towns so its all 'snoozy.......'

regardless of that, i parked in the 'perfect spot'. After 75 minutes of fun we left and as i approaced the front of my car, i noticed a plastic object in front of my car.....it was my mirror. get up a bit closer, and the whole side is crunched in from the rear light, to the front guard.....

i didnt take pictures because this car was 2 months old, and i didnt want to remember the image. My insurer (CGU) just called me to approve the repairs. my crash repairer told me its $6,100.00!!

the' perfect' car parking spot.....hope none of you have to endure the experience i just had.

FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
GULL
TuRbO

Default Re: perfect parking spot

People are ******

Last edited by GT; 16-07-2013 at 06:57 PM. Reason: You have been around long enough to know the Swear Filter avoidance rules.
GULL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

I park ridiculously far away for the same reason.

Glad to gear your insurers approved the repairs, I'm with cgu as well, good to know they aren't twats about that stuff.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seems the more you worry where you park the more chance you have of being hit.

People see these cars as targets, especially when parked at the back of the car park by its self.

I park the GT where ever and never had a problem. My thinking is, if it blends into every other car, it is less likely to get damaged.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always seems to near new cars that get this to ... couldn't have been a 20yo Camry could it???

My SV8 was a couple of months old when my wife returned to it (parked way, way away in the far corner of a shopping centre) with the rear qtr stoved in :(
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
dannyxm
was danny888

I work as a Solicitor. A Solicitor mate of mine represent a bloke who did a hit and run, some random got his plate number and called the cops.

Whilst watching it in court, the Magistrate tore him a new one.

Rightly so....

I had a Nissan Pulsar as a company car a while ago. Without a word of a lie, by the time i gave the car back, each and every panel had a dent / scratch on the bloody thing.
Old 16-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Each to their own, I've stopped trying to find the perfect part away from everyone, if your parked far from everyone and someone dents your car, there is less chance of peer pressure and witnesses trying putting a note on your car owning up to the accident. No guarantees they will leave a note even if you park near the front door.

When it's your cars time, it's your cars time!

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still carefully consider where I park my cars but I used to be the guy that would use up 2 spaces to allow for the neighbouring cars to open their doors without drama.

Now I see that is an invitation for trouble. I know there are certain types out there that would purposely vandalise a car parked like that because its obvious the owner is doing what he can to mimimise potential damage.
I can almost hear the "Look at this ******, takes up 2 spots and I can still run my key all the way down the side, in fact its easier with the extra space!"

People suck
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are not alone, same thing happened to me recently. My wife took my new Mazda 2 so I could use her car to take my granddaughter out. Parked it where she tought it would be safe, came back to find the drivers side marked from front to rear.
No I wasn't a happy camper , no notes no witnesses . One excess later and it's fine. Glad it wasn't the GT but there are scumbags among us , I just hope Karma prevails but yhey probably drive some sh**box anyway.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
Mr G8
Maximum Derek

I park in spots where no one has parked in ages or at all.... yet when I come back out to go home, I find big SUVs or ****box cars parked around me. Even had a drunk bloke, out all the car spaces in the wrold park next to me, then proceeded to slam his door into the side of my Fairlane. Yet he claimed he loved cars and hated people doing that to...?

Sent from my Galaxy Note II on Tapatalk 4 Beta

2008 FG XT 6 Speed
18's, Tint, ZF Conversion, LED Conversion, Exhaust.
Mr G8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #11
GULL
TuRbO

Bad luck
Old 17-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #12
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Same thing happened to my sister when she parked in Murray Bridge SA.
No note, nothing just a big scraping dent spanning across half of her car.
Old 17-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #13
Mr G8
Maximum Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93EB_SXR6 View Post
Same thing happened to my sister when she parked in Murray Bridge SA.
No note, nothing just a big scraping dent spanning across half of her car.
Just like with my partners VZ, no marks on it at all.... the dsy after I purchased it for her got hit twice on the same day one would've been a 4x4 judging by the hught if the paint and scrapes, the other by an old person because it was done at a RSL on bingo night

Sent from my Galaxy Note II on Tapatalk 4 Beta

2008 FG XT 6 Speed
18's, Tint, ZF Conversion, LED Conversion, Exhaust.
Mr G8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
munners

I try to park with a pole on one side and a Merc/BMW etc on the other. Doesn't always work but better than parking next to a crapped out VN with steelies!

Munners
munners is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All you can do is your best to look after your pride and joy, i almost never park in general population to avoid scum bags damaging my pride and joy(sometimes no way around it),
it never fails if i park a hundred or more yards well away to a spot on my own,...................... when i come back there more often than not will be a beat up heap of **** parked in close proximity next to me :(.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #16
FALCONXTV8
JUST CRUIZEN

Had a similiar thing happen to my wifes car about 2 months ago. She parked on the street in Penrith so that she didnt have to risk parking in a cramped car park known for door dings and minor accidents.

Anyway, she comes back barely 10 mins later to the front of her 6 month old car damaged to the tune of nearly 5k!

Turns old a woman got her pedals mixed up and reversed into it at a rather high speed. The car is still at the smash repairers getting straightened out :(

2012 KIA OPTIMA PLATINUM for the wife
FALCONXTV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #17
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by munners View Post
I try to park with a pole on one side and a Merc/BMW etc on the other. Doesn't always work but better than parking next to a crapped out VN with steelies!

Munners
The Merc/BMW is more likely to open the doors onto your car they seem to care less, then the crapped out VN that be owned by someone planning to do it up.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #18
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
All you can do is your best to look after your pride and joy, i almost never park in general population to avoid scum bags damaging my pride and joy(sometimes no way around it),
it never fails if i park a hundred or more yards well away to a spot on my own,...................... when i come back there more often than not will be a beat up heap of **** parked in close proximity next to me :(.
Well of course, which would you steal if you had a choice. they are protecting their car as well in a way.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Possible learnatic drove up to reverse park around your car and misjudged? Pretty p*$$ poor if the licensed driver didnt leave details. But they rarely do. I park in a parking station every workday and try very hard to get the spot beside the pillar. I run my eye over the drivers side every night when I come out of work. So far so good but I know the odds are getting shorter.
Old 17-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA View Post
The Merc/BMW is more likely to open the doors onto your car they seem to care less, then the crapped out VN that be owned by someone planning to do it up.
LOL, good point. The Merc/BMW is probably not even paid for and will be replaced at the end of the lease for another that they will never own. And so it goes on and on...
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #21
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks guys for your support and sharng your own horror stories. i did ask the deli/cafe owners across the road from my damaged car if they heard or saw anything, as i told them i went to the slot car centre accross the road, when it was hit.

thier response was 'no....but why didnt you park in the HUGE REAR CAR PARK that they have? it was a side entrance and i didnt know about it!!!!

there are people out there with bigger problems.....so i wait for the car to come back and then move on.
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #22
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car thieves/car vandals should be treated in the same way they used to treat horse thieves in the early 1800's.
lilmattie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #23
strobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmattie View Post
Car thieves/car vandals should be treated in the same way they used to treat horse thieves in the early 1800's.
Ship them out to australia?
strobe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #24
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I try to park a bit away from the cluster of closer sports for the same reason. Even abandoned shopping trolleys don't care about cars much once they get some wind against them on a slight incline.

We were parked in an RSL-type car park once when I was into playing bingo, waiting for the game to start. An SUV parked next to me and both the doors of the female driver and the kids in the back slammed into my car, and I had parked very well. The woman apologised, the kids had no idea, and luckily there was no lasting damage. Sheesh!

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #25
Itsme
Experienced Member

Probably a learner did the damage, have seen this quite a few times & the instructors are no better than the learner.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #26
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Parking......

Well, as what a heap of you have said you try your best to park away from the rest of the crowd. When I had the Festiva, it lasted 10 years parked on the street and 200,000km with only 2 or 3 'car park' dings. I was overly cautious and always tried my best to park it where it would sustain the least damage... Then I met a young lady who now shares my last name with her 7 year old Mirage that had about 40 scrapes, dents and God knows what else from not really taking care of how it was parked...

Anyway, her Focus has lasted very well after 2 years.

Some of you may like these pics then.... Went shopping and parked in the most distant spot possible, with the closest car being 15 metres away...

Come back and found this:

Oh, and an indication of how it was parked prior to the Mazda deciding to keep the Focus company:

At least the other Mazda decided to leave a few spots....

Yesterdays effort ;)

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #27
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I dont' look for the spots far away. I just park normally but I try to park next to base model BMW/Merc/FPV/HSVs. My thinking is that they're the ones most likely to be looked after and hence not open their doors blindly.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #28
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Parking......

Well, as what a heap of you have said you try your best to park away from the rest of the crowd. When I had the Festiva, it lasted 10 years parked on the street and 200,000km with only 2 or 3 'car park' dings. I was overly cautious and always tried my best to park it where it would sustain the least damage... Then I met a young lady who now shares my last name with her 7 year old Mirage that had about 40 scrapes, dents and God knows what else from not really taking care of how it was parked...

Anyway, her Focus has lasted very well after 2 years.

Some of you may like these pics then.... Went shopping and parked in the most distant spot possible, with the closest car being 15 metres away...

Come back and found this:

Oh, and an indication of how it was parked prior to the Mazda deciding to keep the Focus company:

At least the other Mazda decided to leave a few spots....

Yesterdays effort ;)

westfield tuggerah?

personally, ive given up with trying to stop marks on the car. I park where I want and, touch wood, nothing has happened
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #29
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
I still carefully consider where I park my cars but I used to be the guy that would use up 2 spaces to allow for the neighbouring cars to open their doors without drama.

Now I see that is an invitation for trouble. I know there are certain types out there that would purposely vandalise a car parked like that because its obvious the owner is doing what he can to mimimise potential damage.
I can almost hear the "Look at this ******, takes up 2 spots and I can still run my key all the way down the side, in fact its easier with the extra space!"

People suck
Probably more like "This guys an idiot, taking up two spots when he only needs one! And now he's stopping other people from getting a car park."

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #30
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
westfield tuggerah?
Yeah.... the in laws live at the central coast.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post