Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Car Bras and rain

I don't want anyone to bag car bras, my car is absolutely spotless with no swirling or imperfections and every time i use my bra on long trips there is no sign of any damage done.

So my question is to those that have them, is it ok to use the bra in heavy rain, leave it on overnight and then continue the journey with it on the next day? I have driven with it in rain before and it has always stayed dry with only the top lip getting wet, however i have never left it on overnight, and then driven again the next day.

Long story short, i always do the drive from Townsville to Brisbane in one day but i am breaking it up tomorrow and stopping in Mackay for the night as last time due to roadworks it took me 18 hours straight to do the drive and i don't feel like doing that again. It's going to be raining the whole way down.

fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Tommie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Car Bras and rain

I have left mine on for several days when raining, no apparent damage (on a vixen colour which would show any damage/staining etc). I just wash car before I put the bra on, and make sure the bra is spotless (on the inside). Go for it and don't worry. Beats getting all those stone chips and bug stains!!!
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
I have left mine on for several days when raining, no apparent damage (on a vixen colour which would show any damage/staining etc). I just wash car before I put the bra on, and make sure the bra is spotless (on the inside). Go for it and don't worry. Beats getting all those stone chips and bug stains!!!
Cheers mate, i do the same, bonnet and front bar gets a clean and a fresh coat of wax before it goes on. The bra always gets vacumed once dry after a thorough wash.

I find the bra itself hardly moves at all and any dirt that would come from the water spray couldn't really work its way down because of that front lip being so tight.

If it does do anything my RO polisher with some Meguirs ultimate compound will sort out anything wrong.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Mine wrecked a set of light protectors one trip in the rain.. Nt sure how!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

When I did my VIC to WA trip last year the car bra was on for six weeks, Rain sunshine Hot & Cold conditions with no problems to duco.
You will get a slight build up of dust/dirt on the edges, I just hosed it off at times.
On return home took bra off washed car & bra and all good.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
t_holt69

I had no issues with mine on a trip from Melbourne to Brisbane, but I did notice, that a rock had come onto the bonnet, then rested near the top of the car bra, took a fair amount of clear with it though. I found rain kept the bra cleaner...
Old 25-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suspect the modern bra is a damn sight better than the ones around 20 years ago.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
290v
290v

the only thing i do with the car is put headlight protectors on if you have plastic headlights and i put a layer of polish on the car but don't rub it off yet before i put the bra on then when i have finished the trip then i wip the polish off
Old 25-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
I suspect the modern bra is a damn sight better than the ones around 20 years ago.
Chalk & cheese.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Never use the car Bra's in the rain and heavy down poors the felt rear backing soaks water and debris down with it. Make sure you sue headlight protectors also the clear plastic ruins the headlights if you done on BA-FG. Seen a few cars paint get swirl/scratch marks and also damage to headlights.

Other than that they are great! I've had them on a few of my cars.

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post