Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry $30 device available online blamed for spike in car thefts in Queensland

$30 device available online blamed for spike in car thefts in Queensland

by: Josh Robertson
August 18, 2012 12:00AM

The BMW key programmer device that is being blamed for the spike in upmarket car thefts. Source: Supplied

CUTTING-edge crooks with $30 devices sold online are making short work of the modern standard in car security, helping drive a "diabolical" spike in vehicle heists in Queensland.

Thieves are using hand-held computers to thwart immobilisers in cars previously considered "unstealable", as vehicle theft numbers leapt more than a quarter in the year to March.

A handful of car makers remain a step ahead of car theft rackets straddling automotive trades and organised crime, but the most popular car brands remain vulnerable, locksmiths and theft investigators said.

The National Motor Vehicle Theft Reduction Council knows of thieves overcoming Land Cruiser immobilisers in 12 seconds. NSW police footage shows one thief stealing a Rav 4 in 14 seconds, and online videos show even BMW security codes can be reprogrammed to a new key in minutes.

High-end cars can be overcome with on-board diagnostic tools (OBDs) that are available from China and Eastern Europe over the internet for as little as $30. Customs in NSW recently seized a black-market manual on how to bypass immobilisers, with blank luxury car keys.

Detective Inspector Darryl Charleson said the Queensland Police Vehicle Theft Unit had no intelligence on OBDs but thieves "obviously have ways to get around that mechanism".

But Theft Reduction Council chief Ray Carroll said sophisticated thieves using OBDs were becoming common.

"Not long ago insurers were safe in saying a car with an Australian-standard immobiliser that was stolen without the keys was potential fraud," he said.

"Now you can't really say that because there's good evidence where OBDs are able with a bit of black-market software to recode the immobiliser module to a key you've brought along."
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226452922444
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226452926628

Last edited by csv8; 27-08-2012 at 04:48 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: $30 device available online blamed for spike in car thefts in Queensland

Well there is something i didnt know... programming a car to match the key??

Scarey stuff

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Rusty62
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: $30 device available online blamed for spike in car thefts in Queensland

Might have to get one of those old steering lock devices for the GT
2011 FG GT-P #138 BLOWN 5.0, Auto, Vanish
2003 BA G220 Lighting Strike/Black leather
2007 BF Mk2 Fairmont Ghia 4.0, ZF in Ego/Cream Leather
1989 Daihatsu Rocky 4x4 - for the bush
2015 Nissan Patrol - for the long drive to the bush
2014 BMW R1200GS
2009 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
plus the boat and trailer...fark that’s 9 regos and insurances each year
Rusty62 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The top targets really do paint a picture of the mindset here.

Joyriders steal cars to play with having no regard for the owners.

Professional thieves steal cars to sell for money either wholly or in parts which means they need people with money and a "flexible" moral attitude.

Symbiosis 1:01........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Next generation of oboard ecu's will be security coded. Pretty much a firewall on the oncar systems.

Round and round we go. At least if you had a dizzy you cuold trump nearly all car thiefs as they simply wouldn't know what a rotor button is anymore...

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
BHDOGS
Banned

I always use a club lock for piece of mind sure it would only take 15 seconds to get throught but it all adds up haha
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Maybe the trick is to have your own battery isolation switch on the car somewhere
so that none of the electrics work until that manual switch is turned on..

with thee boing and the ding..

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
ohzone
Dent Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Maybe the trick is to have your own battery isolation switch on the car somewhere

with thee boing and the ding..

Unfortunatley a lot of new cars will throw error codes and some components wont work after disconnection
For example , Mazda sky active will cease to operate if power to the computer is reduced by more than 70% of battery power
ohzone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Kids around here are breaking into houses just to steal keys so they can joyride...

over 30 cars stolen in june....and tamworth only has a population of 50000 odd...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
Tysonv48
Fairlane Ute

Rav 4 in 14 seconds
I thought that with fords at least it takes 15 minutes to complete the key reprogram
Tysonv48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scary...

I do remember back when remote unlocking was becoming common (overseas, less so here at the time) that a story came out from England on car thieves who were making use of a scanner-type device that would sit in your pocket. You held a button, and stood nearby when someone was unlocking their car. It would pick up and memorise the radio signal, and when you pressed the button again, it would retransmit it and unlock the car.

Of course this didn't mean they could start it any easier...but it let them get into your vehicle without having to bust a window or break in. Some cars were being stolen by better organised crooks with a flatbed or a trailer as you could get into the car and let off the handbrake and put it in neutral.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Whats stopping you from turning up in a shopping center car park with a high vis jacket on and a tow truck with orange beacons on it?

No one would bat an eye lid except the owner, who is probably inside with his wife in Bras n Things.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
PlukaDuck

Install a fuel cutoff switch hidden in the car somewhere.

Last edited by flappist; 18-08-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: do not circumvent the swear filter, it will bite you
PlukaDuck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

Not such a good idea.

Apart from any alarm system not working your car would have to reboot upsetting lots of different settings the least of which are the ICC codes re-entered and all the body options set to default.

Disconnect the battery on your FG and then see ho long it takes to get you up a running again.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Well, how about a fuel shut off on a different remote?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #16
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Ignition kill switch hidden somewhere...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
gtfpv
GT

not my problem . i pay insurance , it's up to manufacturers and insurance companies to work on security. not me . bad to hear this happens , it means something isnt being done correctly during manufacture .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #18
qdda5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
not my problem . i pay insurance , it's up to manufacturers and insurance companies to work on security. not me . bad to hear this happens , it means something isnt being done correctly during manufacture .

I think its everyones problem.
We are the one that get slogged with higher premiums as a result.
qdda5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #19
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
Will be a problem when your insurance premiums go up to cover all the extra cars being stolen.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #20
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Disconnect the battery on your FG and then see ho long it takes to get you up a running again.....
About 10 seconds to update the clock. The key holds all the radio settings etc.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #21
Hayden1

I've seen a car where you have to become part of the circuit for it to start up. There's a hidden screw on the dash which you touch at the same time as touching the ignition barrel. Once you do that, it kind of un-immobilizes itself and then starts just like any other car.
Hayden1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #22
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Not such a good idea.

Apart from any alarm system not working your car would have to reboot upsetting lots of different settings the least of which are the ICC codes re-entered and all the body options set to default.

I disconnect the battery numerous times on my FG and have no problems apart from clock being wrong
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #23
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

How about having a remote mounted MAIN relay inside the car instead of under the bonnet so the owner can pull it and take it with him if he/she so desires...no amount of technodickery is going to be able to defeat that...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #24
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've installed kill switches on a few of my cars to interrupt starter motor solenoid simple and very effective. there are a few different ways to do it and not difficult at all
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #25
efgiar
rofl copter

you can put the battery isolator on the main starter wire, wiring to the fuel pump etc. any more then that and you can bring the engine light on, including cutting the solenoid wire on the starter, alot of new cars need to read a resistance in the solenoid, or it will throw a fault code.

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #26
gtfpv
GT

i remember my mates HSV VS clubbie , he lived in a unit , with car park underground , he was going to work one monrning and there were 2 slide marks where the car was parked .
whinched onto a tow truck , try and beat that with a kill switch ?
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #27
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why arent gps tracking systems more widely used?

Say a hidden tracker somewhere very difficult to remove (maybe welded into a chassis rail or something?)

Then if/when it is stolen you and the police follow the car and possibly locate many more stolen cars
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #28
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: $30 device available online blamed for spike in car thefts in Queensland

Going back to the nineties we had an EA Ghia that was stolen from the shopping centre we never got it back
cops said 4 were stolen that day in the area for parts
anyway we got an XF Ghia
and I put a switch in the fuel pump wire (the purple one) just beside the drivers seat remember it was an XF and you could start them with the dip stick
well if they got that far and used the dipstick or even a key the car would run for about 10 seconds and cut out (lack of fuel)
pretty well fool proof
I was told by one of the Ds that there was only 8 keys made for all the XD through to EA you had numbers one through 8 then back to the number one key and so on
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #29
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Kids around here are breaking into houses just to steal keys so they can joyride...

over 30 cars stolen in june....and tamworth only has a population of 50000 odd...
One of my Xr8's were stolen and written off after my house was broken into. my view is that the only way to stop them is hospitalise the scumbags. they learn a lesson they won't soon forget and they can't steal cars if they are out of action.

Problem is they are under 18 and do gooders think that you can't discipline kids cause that's just mean. life's tough
cops can't do anything and courts just let them out if it even gets that far and they dog's that are doing it are bragging about it all over facebook
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #30
EVLKNEVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by car theft bob View Post
This not a sales pitch.
It sounds like it's a sales pitch to me.

Your link set malware alarm bells off on my Antivirus. Excellent first post and welcome to the forums.
EVLKNEVL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post