Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Odd question, Valiant 265 manual conversion?

Hey guys, probably not the right forum to ask this in, but a good friend of mine is interested in converting his 70s Valiant ute to a 5sp manual, people have told him Supra 5sp gearbox , but he said it probably doesn't need to be that strong (which isn't all that too strong in the first place), as its just a standard car with a 350 holley on it.

I mentioned T5 (Castlemaine rod shop sells kits), and T5s are easy to find because they were on Falcons/Commodore, but someone told him its not strong enough, but I doubt that?

If it can stand up to an E series XR6 from the 90s, wouldn't it be able to stand up to a standard carby 6 from the 70s?

He thinks he could get a Hilux 5sp to work, as he is assuming the Supra 5sp box and the Hilux box are the same but I really doubt that they are, they would have to be different gearboxes.

If anyone here can help us with our predicament, that would be great, thanks much.

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
radar

Default Re: Odd question, Valiant 265 manual conversion?

had a toyota celica 5 speed in my charger was a w55 gearbox i think from memory and ran a hilux clutch and had no probs i think 5th gear is the weakest link,just change down when passing

AU2 V8 Wagon for the daily.

T2 ts50 in silhouette

73 Charger (in bits)
radar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Supra 5 speed will handle the power output....I think they're rated to 400HP (or there abouts)

To do the change requires floor pan mods and I think the torsion bar area too....

Get your mate to join http://www.moparmarketforum.com/forum/index.php...He'll get all the necessary info he needs on the conversion

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Supra 5 speed will handle the power output....I think they're rated to 400HP (or there abouts)

To do the change requires floor pan mods and I think the torsion bar area too....

Get your mate to join http://www.moparmarketforum.com/forum/index.php...He'll get all the necessary info he needs on the conversion
Thanks guys, the friend in question can't respond to SMS messages, so joining a forum is out of the question, but I will and get on there to start asking around

Thanks much guys, keep it coming.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

The valiants used pretty much the same 4 speed single rail as we do with our Fords. I'm guessing he can do the same as what we do and drill a couple of holes to line it up to the 4 speed bell housing, and that's it. Use the standard val clutch set up, and get the t5 yoke fitted to his driveshaft. Modified gearbox mount too i think, due to different length.
Old 23-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Checkout "www.moparmarketforum.com" .. a quick search reveals a plethora of information .. for example ..

http://www.moparmarketforum.com/foru...=supra#p301088
http://www.moparmarketforum.com/foru...53&hilit=supra

If your mate is in central Vic then send him to Jeff @ Kyneton Auto Spares to discuss .. it is the home of Valiants!
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A "standard" 265 2 barrel hemi will put out 205hp. Do a little work as I did to mine in the Charger I had when I was 18 (and still miss every damn day), and you are looking at 270 to 300hp easily with masses of torque. They were simply the best six cylinder ever made in those days. The Ford and Holden six cylinders couldn't come near it for power in standard form, and it took a hell of a lot of work to get up anywhere near a Hemi's output.

A Supra five speed (if you can still find one) will be fine, but yes, watch fifth gear if it has some work done. Dellow used to make all the kits for them. I've been out of the loop for quite a while now with Valiants so not sure who does them now. Hemi Performance in Victoria used to be the go-to guys for perfomance bits too.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
A "standard" 265 2 barrel hemi will put out 205hp. Do a little work as I did to mine in the Charger I had when I was 18 (and still miss every damn day), and you are looking at 270 to 300hp easily with masses of torque. They were simply the best six cylinder ever made in those days. The Ford and Holden six cylinders couldn't come near it for power in standard form, and it took a hell of a lot of work to get up anywhere near a Hemi's output.
Yes, the 265 Hemi and even the 245 Hemi were ripper engines. They just had tonnes of torque and could rev if you wanted them too. The 2 Barrel R/T 265 was a 218BHP 273lb/ft motor, and really the 265 was only matched by Ford in power and torque by the time of the EF and EL 6 cylinders 25 years later.

If Chrysler had kept going in Australia and had kept developing the I6 like Ford have, I wonder where it could have gone. Imagine a 265 with 4 valves per cylinder, twin overhead cams and VCT and EFI.

The current Ford I6 would have to be (dare I say it) the best 6 cylinder in the world now, but my second favourite engine behind the Ford 6 would have to be the Chrysler Hemi 6's of Australia. They demoralised V8's of the day.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

If you think a single carb one had torque, you should try one with Triple Webers. I remember when Brocky did that supercar comparison years ago in Motor I think it was. Said the E49 had the most torque of all and they had Phase III HO there etc, said it was 'like turning on a tap', he had never driven one before and couldn't believe the grunt.