Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
SXR6
Still a Ford boy... Just.

Default Decc/epa/rta??

Hey all,

I've been issues a letter to present my car at the DECC because its excessively noisy and has a loose battery bracket.

The copper that gave me the fines, couldnt tell me where to go to get it cleared or how to go about it. ? umm right.

1st defect ever, im in west syd, can anyone steer me in the right direction of where i need to go to get the excessive noise test and stuff cleared?

Should I be worried about anything?

Once they wake up its water boy time though.
SXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
jmak44

Default Re: Decc/epa/rta??

I got a vehicle test notice in the mail for noise went and did the test. I got 93dB which in Victoria is under the 96dB limit in for cars made before 1983 however vehicles after 1983 must be under 90dB.

I assume the DECC is the same as the epa in victoria, they are the statutory authority that deals with noise. Usually they will have approved noise testers that you must go to where you will be presented with a certificate of compliance if your car noise is under the limit.

However if you feel that your noise is excessive you might wanna change your system just for the meantime.

I was pretty annoyed at the time cause i knew my car would pass and i had to waist my time just because a clueless cop believed my car to be excessive in noise.
Old 13-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got done some years ago for noise (HZ GTS) but back then the limit was 103db mine was 105db. I had to take it to the RTA place (twice, before and after repairs) in Auburn (near the Repat Hospital) but I'm not sure they are still there now. They put a mike about a meter from my exhaust at 3000rpm and measured the decibels there. What I did not understand was that I had a full twin system and they only measured one side. Hope it goes ok for you
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
SXR6
Still a Ford boy... Just.

Yeah, don't want to get into a thing about clueless cops lol, will probably get banned for my views and opinions.
On the night, after I got the notice I let him know what I really thought. Apparently they dont like being sworn at or called rookies. Im waiting for the EPA letter to come in the mail telling me to go to the testing station, another thing the cop neglected to tell me. The letter he gave me on the spot is just a copy of what he is putting into the system. EPA then gets it, sends a copy to registered owner asking for the car to be tested at such and such.
I've already done the dodgy and had it tested this arvo and it passed. Right on the limit but it passed.
Charged a massive $64. Not supposed to be done before I get the letter, but meh. Went back to penrith police station this evening, asked for the cop who just so happened to be there, slammed it on the counter infront of him, made a bit of a scene and asked for my $64 plus fuel money for the inconvenience. Told him how wrong he is and that he is a stupid rookie, next time get a DB metre and test before pulling this stunt and blah.
He said 'I'll see you soon' I laughed and said yep, probably in court. He just looked blankly at me before I told him that the $88 fine for the loose battery bracket I will elect to be heard in court, but I'll wait for the 2nd or 3rd reminder.. Which really upset him funnily enough. Said a few more things I probably shouldnt have and left making sure my 'excessively loud' car was heard.
Probably asking for trouble, I know, probably should of handled it differently, I know, but its penrith police, I have a low enough opinion of cops in general let alone penrith ones and well yeah, I really just dont care.
So soon as letter comes in mail, my car will already be passed. May even confuse the system a little which can only be a good thing.
Going to make a point of it and drive the car around penrith, Thursday night alot of 'hoons' are out which brings the police out, heres hoping he see's me just so they know im really not worried or scared about the long dick of the law.
Bet that post is going to get me some fans...

Once they wake up its water boy time though.
SXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
jmak44

Good to see everything is sorting out, as for the police they seem to be focusing a lot of resources towards vehicle scrutinization trying to get more cars off the road. They will pick on minor things and blow it out of proportion. They seem to think they are experts or something. I get pulled over on a regular basis driving my XC falcon which is only a 6 because i am on my p's. I've had times where highway patrol will tailgate me for a good 10minutes trying to make me go over the speed limit. I'm so use to their antics now that it just go along with it and put on a fake smile, but deep down in side they are pushing the limits.

Anyway in regards to Thursday night hoons in penrith we have a similar thing here in Melbourne which attracts hundreds of cars down the princess hwy on a Thursday and a Friday night.