Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
wildxy

Default A man needs a shed!!

Hi guys,

I'm looking into building a Colorbond garage and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to get one. I want to build a 6m x 6m (or 7m). Has anyone done one of these kit sheds I keep seeing? Are they any good? I'd like to go bigger but room might be an issue, would that size be enough for my xy and some benches shelve etc?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Old 27-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Hulsty

Default Re: A man needs a shed!!

I'm in the process of building a stratco 7mx7.7m going ok so far, kit seems pretty good, big 5.5m roller door in the front and a 3m gutter height.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
danthefordman
Leftyos

I did a randbuild shed back in 2007 6x6 cant remember the eve height 2.7m i think. Was a bit over 7k plus slab (around $4k) with the 5.5m door, full insulation, window and personal access door. The 5.5m roller door i think is essential, much better to work with. Length wise i thought it was too short i was parked nose in and had to keep walking around the back of the car to work on each side. I reckon 8m for length would be best but i also had size limits so made do. I would definitely not go any less than 6x6 anyway. I was happy with the product. Here is what mine looked like, put it up myself with the help of mates along the way when two hands weren't enough.

Old 27-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my only advice is go big early, if you have the room fill it or you'll get it built and want bigger

mine is 18 X 12 and I'm about to extend another 3 X 9 off the back and if I had room the extension would be bigger still

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
wildxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
my only advice is go big early, if you have the room fill it or you'll get it built and want bigger

mine is 18 X 12 and I'm about to extend another 3 X 9 off the back and if I had room the extension would be bigger still
Yeah I think that is good advice. I don't have the luxury of 18x12 but might see if I can at least get a metre or two at each end of the car. What about height? Would 2.4 be too low? Should I look at2.7? I don't want a hoist but if it won't clear anything other than a car it's a pain.
Old 27-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can only fit in what your space allows, even if you can go 7X7 opposed to 6X6 it will be a benifit

height I made this mistake, go high I only have 2.7 but if I could I would go higher

think hoist and even if you dont go a hoist the higher you can rack the better (clears up floor space)

Old 27-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Build as big as your budget and space can afford!

Mine was 8m by 6m with 2 rollar doors at the front and one at rear so i could drive through it to the carport out the back of the shed.

The 2m "workshop area" to the side of the shed still ended up being too small!
Specially once you install shelving, benches etc...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Absolutely build as big as you can. Also put a sewer pipe in before the slab for a wash up sink. Best thing I ever did.
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66FAIRLANE
Absolutely build as big as you can. Also put a sewer pipe in before the slab for a wash up sink. Best thing I ever did.
yep like wise

my shed has a full bathroom with shower / toilet and vainity.
I also have an old laundery sink wiht hot & cold water, (Laundery sinks are great casue you can get right in them to clean right up your arms

then again I also have stereo, firdge & espresso machine and one of those water bottle things

but the sink is the best, nothing worse than going inside with greese up your arm and your Mrs cracking the sads

Old 27-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
6t6m

I have been thinking of doing exactly the same thing at my place (6X7) if its not too rude would people be able to give a rough idea of what has cost them also. An all up price including council plans etc would be great.
6t6m is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t6m
I have been thinking of doing exactly the same thing at my place (6X7) if its not too rude would people be able to give a rough idea of what has cost them also. An all up price including council plans etc would be great.
Here you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthefordman
I did a randbuild shed back in 2007 6x6 cant remember the eve height 2.7m i think. Was a bit over 7k plus slab (around $4k) with the 5.5m door, full insulation, window and personal access door. The 5.5m roller door i think is essential, much better to work with. Length wise i thought it was too short i was parked nose in and had to keep walking around the back of the car to work on each side. I reckon 8m for length would be best but i also had size limits so made do. I would definitely not go any less than 6x6 anyway. I was happy with the product. Here is what mine looked like, put it up myself with the help of mates along the way when two hands weren't enough.

Old 27-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
spud027

I have not gone ahead yet but was keen on a stratco, as they have some pretty good interest free terms..

And like others have said, go as big as you can, either budget or space..
spud027 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another vote for go as big as you possibly can.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #14
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildxy
Hi guys,

I'm looking into building a Colorbond garage and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to get one. I want to build a 6m x 6m (or 7m). Has anyone done one of these kit sheds I keep seeing? Are they any good? I'd like to go bigger but room might be an issue, would that size be enough for my xy and some benches shelve etc?

Any advise would be much appreciated.
First trip would be the council
Look into what your allowed,some suburbs or estates have stupid covernants regarding shed size ect
Then you could have the other issue of what size will fit, some council regs have a minimum distance from boundaries
Once thats sorted, go see shed builders or kit places
The sizes most do are for the bare basic regarding spans and designs,goin even 1/2 a metre bigger here and there can have massive $$$ variations
(IE , 200MM C purlin can go a 6m unsupported span, but goin 6.5M youll have to either have a centre post or a larger purlin size)
Then you have the price variation regarding height
Some shed designs would only just pass the bare minimum specs,and the stuff they use really shows in the end quality product
Bit like a no frills , franklins shed
Prices and spec variations is like comparing a povo pack falcon to a top of the line FPV
Do you want a gable roof or a truss design for a flat roof internal ???
Budgets usually scale down many sheds
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
My32Doors

Bigger the better. 6X6 is simply not long enough for a Falcon of any model - only leaves <0.5 metres each end. I am currently building a shed for my XC panelvan project 10 m X 7 m. Plenty of room to get engine cranes etc around without the swearing and cursing that goes with not enough room. Also make sure you have PLENTY of light, roof/ceiling and good wall lighting. I envy you fellas down there being able to use minimal purlins etc. Up here RHS for my shed.
My32Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #16
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

6 by 9 is the minimum in my books. We'll be buying a house soon, and if it doesn't have a shed, one will be built. A 6x9 usually has two roller doors and a workshop area on one end, pretty handy.

If you can arrange it, a good industrial coating on the floor is good as well. It's usually either sprayed on or, more commonly, rolled on with rollers, and makes a good hard coating which is easy to keep clean of oil and other stuff.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #17
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

For a double garage, 6x6 m is too small, need to go to at least 7x7. But then if you want some workspace as well, 7x10 as suggested is the way to go. Dont forget the sisalation (at least-foam types would give better insulation) under the roof panels to avoid condensation and keep the garage cleaner from dust (sealing all gaps). Danthefordman above has done well with all his insulation.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

2nd/3rd/4th the advice about going as big as you can and having the water/sewer on is also well worth doing.
Old 27-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #19
Matty4
Banana

Everyone who has already stated the old "bigger is better" rule is spot on.
I have a 9 x 10.5 3 bay American barn and the 2 roller doors on either side are only 2m high, wish I'd gone higher. The middle one is 3m.
When (if) I sell my caravan I can easily fit a hoist in there.
Old 27-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #20
in_xcess

I'm doing the same at the moment. Ranbuild too expensive and I've found them unreliable to even turn up for site visit. Fairdinkum OK but won't even visit until council approval done (chicken and the egg).

I've found Wide Span Sheds (www.sheds.com.au) have prices hard to beat with free delivery at present.

Big range on offer - just get the slab done, find a shed builder (or get them to hook you up with someone) and do the council stuff yourself (save $$$).

Get something 25% bigger than you need now if space permits is my advice so you can grow into it and/or the biggest for your budget.
Old 27-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #21
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

For those suggesting 7x10 what sort money were your kits worth?
FPV8U is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #22
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

ranbuild { my father inlaw runs one ) certegy 12 months interest free on shed ..so if you got money for slab now and got money for shed later hook in ( free beef eater bbq at moment lol )

edit others may be cheaper but they do a quality shed and no i get no side perks ...
Old 28-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #23
in_xcess

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
For those suggesting 7x10 what sort money were your kits worth?
7x10x2.8 will be around $7,000 - $9,000 kit price depending on extras such as door/s, windows, insulation. Expect to get it (kit, slab, built, council) up and done for $18,000 - $25,000 give or take.
Old 28-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #24
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
ranbuild { my father inlaw runs one ) certegy 12 months interest free on shed ..so if you got money for slab now and got money for shed later hook in ( free beef eater bbq at moment lol )

edit others may be cheaper but they do a quality shed and no i get no side perks ...
and you use the free BBQ when your mates come round to help build it

ya need a shed I'm in mine now at 6.30 drinkinh coffee and trolling AFF oooooo thats sad

Old 28-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #25
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_xcess
I'm doing the same at the moment. Ranbuild too expensive and I've found them unreliable to even turn up for site visit. Fairdinkum OK but won't even visit until council approval done (chicken and the egg).

I've found Wide Span Sheds (www.sheds.com.au) have prices hard to beat with free delivery at present.

Big range on offer - just get the slab done, find a shed builder (or get them to hook you up with someone) and do the council stuff yourself (save $$$).

Get something 25% bigger than you need now if space permits is my advice so you can grow into it and/or the biggest for your budget.
That's an individual business ...example my mate is building a shed self erect ( I told him to get a price off the old fella , but he can't actually.sell him the shed it has to be your closest bloke .So the old fella got the close bloke ( which dad sold that business too 18 months ago to retire ) to do up a quote and he had added 2 grand to the quote that the old fella had already done ......and that's how ya end up telling people that they are dear ...because some clowns can't run a business .
After 12 months the old man can then sell sheds in the jurisdiction...its to stop the initial affect on the other business .
Waiting for this local bloke to go bum up and we might buy it back cheap lol .and a good erection crew is hard to keep , the old fella has a top one ...others not so lucky .
So my reply really means don't just call one ranbuild /spanline or whatever ...call a couple the differences in price and service will surprise you .
Old 28-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #26
jcat58

Thumbs up Re: A man needs a shed!!

Go to TITAN.They do everything (slab,council,erect etc ) Sign up for deal and sit back relax and watch it come to fruition. Go big mines 14x7x3.0...
Also go the stud walls so you can line it....
jcat58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #27
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

second that on the biggest u can afford and fit ive got a 10 by9 out back and 7by6on the house and am now looking to move to country so i can build a bigger shed(min 20by 10)thought 1/4 acre was big enough but a 1/4 acreshed would be better .plus at the moment ive got 2 rolloer doors with a removable centre which i find is better that 1 big door even if it is dearer
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #28
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
and you use the free BBQ when your mates come round to help build it

ya need a shed I'm in mine now at 6.30 drinkinh coffee and trolling AFF oooooo thats sad
+1.. another one here.....

OP go as high as you can also.. it really opens them up and comes in handy if you want to install a hoist...
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #29
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

14m x 12m x 5.6m high American Barn. We installed it ourselves ( bloody big job) and had the slab done by a subbie. $27,000 all up KAM Constructions for the kit. Also have a 6m x 9m Titan shed. It was about $7000 all up......

Last edited by buggerlugs; 28-04-2012 at 10:09 AM.
buggerlugs is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #30
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

definately go 7m deep so you can store things and walk behind and in front of a car. agree with others saying go as big as possible, i have 19m x 7m with 2 bays open and wish i had more!!! another thing is put some power points at the front,between the roller doors as they are so much easier to get at instead of on the back wall where every thing is stacked. i have 3m in the middle and can't fit a hoist which is really a pain since they are only 2000 odd dollars. no help with costs sorry i built the shed 6 years ago and am a chippy and concreter so the costs were kept low as possible
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post