Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Default FG Falcon or Toyota Aurion

Ok, , I know this might be a bit of a biased place to ask such a question, but I need to buy a new car.

Majority of the driving in in city. Currently have a BA and its been a good car.

I would only want to get a FG with the 6 Speed, , but I have been in a few Avalon Prodigy cabs recently and they seem great.

Anyone had experience with both cars ?

thanks

Craig

AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
RHR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FG Falcon or Toyota Aurion

Drive them both and then make your decision

Just FYI Ford are offering the G6 Limited edition at the moment with plenty of kit
RHR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Either car will be second hand most likely from the Govt Auction in Brisbane and then trucked to Townsville
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
Either car will be second hand most likely from the Govt Auction in Brisbane and then trucked to Townsville
maybe look at this link

good pricing and it is not just the ecoboost either

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Well I believe both are made in Australia so youre at least lookin in the right direction. However the Falcon is exclusively designed and built in Australia for Australians.

That wins it for me :^)
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Hayden1

are you serious...?
Hayden1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id just prefer the rwd. And ofcourse im so heavily biased towards falcon and have a particular negative toyota because they build boring cars that go against everything i think a car should be (minus reliability)...so yeah maybe disregard this opinion.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden1
are you serious...?
This

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After having an aurion as a hire car I was impressed with them, but there is no better car than the FG ;) lol
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I test drove an Aurion about 4 years ago. Admittedly it was a TRD but the tram tracking with the computers got confused on a rough road under acceleration was one of the most frightening vehicle characteristics I have ever experienced.

I have done a lot of km in a FG and the only thing I don't like is the drivers visibility through the pax window at intersections.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
Hayden1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I test drove an Aurion about 4 years ago. Admittedly it was a TRD but the tram tracking with the computers got confused on a rough road under acceleration was one of the most frightening vehicle characteristics I have ever experienced.
We had the exact same experience on a winding mountain road up to a ski resort in NZ. Never again...

When I got back I researched how you were supposed to turn traction control off: http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forum...l/page__st__25
Hayden1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Me too, Aurion and even the Mitsubishi 380 had a similar tendency,
it's a real problem throwing a lot of torque through the front wheels

Quote:
I have done a lot of km in a FG and the only thing I don't like is the drivers visibility through the pax window at intersections.
Same here in an R6 ute, Falcon is a great long distance car but equally very
solid in the traffic if you can forgive a bit of fuel for added punch off the mark.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
waterskier

Same Aurion experience in the South Island of New Zealand the combination of front wheel drive, peaky engine and a crap auto was very dangerous especially on twisty windy roads.... never never again
waterskier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #14
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Well, I drive the Aurion which is a pool car for my section at work which I also responsible for. I drove it today. It's a nice A to B car. Has decent space. It is refined and reasonable on fuel too. I don't get paid to speed, so I'm not driving it in a hurry. But, even so it's shortcomings are obvious for a person with interest in dynamics. Suspension control is pathetic although comfortable. If you need to go in a hurry for whatever reason like the horrid roundabout at work from a standing start it will axle tramp badly. The traction control and DSC are built for lowest common denominator. The gearbox (6spd) is smooth but dithers about. Steering particularly in car parks is hopeless. It just feels like a barge. The turning circle is a fair bit bigger than the FG despite a shorter wheelbase. Essentially it's a big decent vehicle that highlights all the shortcomings of FWD in large vehicles.

Compared to my FG XR6 with ZF6spd and there is just no comparison. The Falcon is the best Australian built car ever. Full stop. It handles well, is equally as good on fuel and just as quick. It looks better, has better seats, has even more space, has a fold down rear seat too. The suspension is compliant yet enthusiastic for the average punter. The turning circle is as small or smaller than several small and medium cars. It is an easy car to park in carparks and on the street. Essentially it highlights the advantages of RWD in a large sedan.

Out of 10 I would rate the FG Falcon 8.5/10.0 and Aurion 6.5/10.0.

The FG Falcon is also the safest car ever released in Australia. Not just made here. Released here. Monash Uni had their results out last year with something like 3 million crashes analysed over 30 years.

There are members on here who owe their life to the standard crash structure and inherent safety that only an FG can offer.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC

Anyone had experience with both cars ?

I had a work allocated Aurion a "Prodigy" model so a mid/high range car. White with black leather and to be fair, it looked pretty sharp. The V6 engine was a gem. Plenty of go, super smooth, but typical of Toyota lacked torque down low. It was better than there previous efforts but always require revs to make it go. Its quiet and the instrument cluster is pretty groovy.

But it's all down hill from there. Auto is not a patch on the ZF. The thing will change lanes with torque steer, and why the built the steering column out of rubber is anyones guess. But it was the lots of little things that got me. No fold down rear seat, strange storage bins. Rubbish hi fi, worse bluetooth no one can understand you, if you bother spending the 1/2 a day to connect it.

By comparison an XR6 I had for a week stopped steered, went hard, everythng worked and well it was a pleasure to steer though the hills.

Some of the interior finish in the XR was not as good but overall its a way better car than the Aurion.

So much so that I bought an FG. Although its not fair on the Aurion to compare it to the GTE

When I was driving the Aurion all I could think was Toyota, life at 60%

My 2c
Old 24-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #16
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've driven both. there both good cars but i'd rate the FG falcon over the aurion. i felt more confident in the ford and safer. handling was the thing that i really noticed the most with them. the FG is heaps better. performance wise the aurion shocked me!!! Its bloody punchy!!! but again in saying that i thought the falcon was better with its low down torque. (which i prefer) interior wise i thought the aurion was better. i'll ask my mate what his model his aurion is. the FG hire car i drove was an XR6 non- turbo. I actually liked the aurion. i'd own one for a daily driver. but given the choise between an FG Falcon or toyota Aurion. i'd buy the ford. main reason being. I felt more safer driving it.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #17
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
The FG Falcon is also the safest car ever released in Australia. Not just made here. Released here. Monash Uni had their results out last year with something like 3 million crashes analysed over 30 years.

There are members on here who owe their life to the standard crash structure and inherent safety that only an FG can offer.
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/521...fest-used-cars
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #18
prasac
Banned

have driven both, for comfort and the car i would drive long distances the FG kills it. for short drives and thrashing the car around the Aurion wins hands down. i drive the ZR6 which i think is slightly lower and stiffer suspension then the other models. for me the other winner was fuel efficiency, i have a heavy foot, yet in the Aurion i average about 11L/100km i don't remember it ever being over 12.3L/100km that was with E10 i run E10 thru every 5-6 tanks apart from that it's always Premium, driving the FG the same way it was never under 14L/100km. that is 80% city driving.

i have never had a problem with torque steer on the Aurion, i have drove it on some sketchy roads, and it always felt fine.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #19
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are both decent cars, but the FG Falcon is better - in my opinion.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #20
superfly
Go the Hogster!

We had an Aurion SX6 in NZ for a week a few years ago and it got us all round the south island with no hassle or fuss. It was great to drive in the mountains too.

We test drove one again before buying the XR50. The missus test drove the Aurion and said it was nice but a boring car to drive. I wanted the Ford for the extra size plus I think it's a fantastic looking car, much better than the Aurion. So we got the Ford. But if it was up to the missus, she wouldn't have bought either car.
Old 24-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #21
distortion

I drove an Aurion for a week last week, and although it was top spec (cant remember the name) and beautiful inside, it was horrendous to drive. Torque steer everywhere, and just didnt hold the road well (I drive a BA xr6t and also a FG xr6)

If you are ONLY concerned with the interior - buy the Aurion, if you want an overall package that is streets ahead in handling, driving safety (I'm talking about gripping the road, stopping ability and torque steer here), and overall driving satisfaction then buy the RWD...
distortion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #22
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the aurion that mate has is a sportivo ZR6. i actually liked it but still i like the FG better
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #23
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's a simple test.

Are you below 65? Buy the falcon

Are you above 65? Buy the Camry
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #24
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
Here's a simple test.

Says the guy driving the egas wagon.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 04:41 AM   #25
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
are you serious...?
I'm with you Hayden . one is a total puss bucket and the other is an enjoyable car to drive .

If you enjoy being totally disconnected from the road , driving a " CAR " that telegraphs NOTHING back to the driver , has a brake pedal so over assisted as to eliminate any feel whatsoever , has grossly over assisted power steering that you might as well be steering the car with a stick of liquorice stuck in a bowl of rice pudding , suspension so ponderous it steers like a galleon and gives you gravel rash on the elbows when cornering with the drivers window down and torque steers from gutter to gutter in the wet buy an Aurion .
Old 25-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #26
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
Here's a simple test.

Well said
Old 25-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #27
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Says the guy driving the egas wagon.......
It's a Falcon with a big ar5e and much lower running costs... Which of these facts class it an a pensioners car?
Still a great looking car that's RWD, Australian designed and built.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #28
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman
Id just prefer the rwd. And ofcourse im so heavily biased towards falcon and have a particular negative toyota because they build boring cars that go against everything i think a car should be (minus reliability)...so yeah maybe disregard this opinion.

Toyota Camry.
Transport for those who have given up on life!

Or

Toyota Camry.
A pile of crap no matter what name they put on the boot!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #29
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #30
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd
Well I believe both are made in Australia so youre at least lookin in the right direction. However the Falcon is exclusively designed and built in Australia for Australians.

That wins it for me :^)
Quote:
are you serious...?
the real world difference between falcon and aurion are pretty small. Buying a car should make you feel good, things like australian-made may actually mean the difference of which one you buy.