Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Maybe he works for "Drive.com"

I noticed this personal review in Whirlpool between the Sidi Commodore and the FG XR6. Basically said the Falcon is a box of s#*t and the Commodore is the best thing since sliced bread.
Its no wonder the publics perception of the Falcon is so bad when people actually swallow stories like this without actually driving the car and being honest about it.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1843148

My journey started after my first minor bingle in 10+ years which prompted me to get a hire car whilst the Golf was at the repair shop.

I have owned mainly imported cars in the past..

1987 Corona 2.0L Auto
2006 Vauxhall 1.2L Man
2003 Audi A3 2.0L FSI 6sp Man
2005 BMW E90 325i 2.5L 6sp Auto
2008 VW Golf 2.0L TDI 6sp DSG

So I'm in the market for a new locally made car and decided to try the SV6 and XR6 out.

Holden SV6 Series II
====================

I managed to get my hands on a 3.6L SIDI 6sp auto variant of these. It was the dark red metallic version, 2010 build with what I think factory tinted glass.

Coming from the Golf, the drive took a bit of getting used to, but after no more than 10 minutes though I was hooked.

The grip on this car is amazing. You could throw it around corners and it handles whatever you give it in a controlled manner. For a RWD car, I would have to say the weight distribution of the car is perfect, even better than the BMW.

The 18" tyres certainly inspired an aire of confidence. I was looking for what I have read about the auto being not that great, though again coming from a Golf MK V it was silky smooth. A world of differnce.

I found the seats simply awesome – so comfy. They had great side support and were easily adjustable.

Acceleration was it's strongest point of the two cars I tested it just wants to go and go some more..

The only downers I could say – are that you've got to watch out on the A pillar blind spot to you right.. Getting the seat forward a bit does help a bit, but when doing turns into oncoming traffic it pays to lean forward as the A pillar does obscure some of your vision.

In comparison to all the cars I have owned – the only one that comes close was the E90 BMW ... But I feel the Holden a far more fun car to drive, to get it going you don't have to give it as much gas. It's also a quieter car than the Ford.

After leaving it to try the Ford I was sad to see it go, and I started to totally understand why Jeremy Clarkson from Topgear, liked the Holdens so much. This has to be IMHO one of the most underrated cars.

Ford FG Falcon XR6 MK I
=======================

The first thing I noticed after getting into this car was the different seating position.. The Holden you sit "in" – as if the car is designed around the driver. The Ford you sit "on".. (more like driving a bus?)

The Ford is a good looking car there's not doubt about that, and from what I read on forums and reviews I was really looking forward to driving it, having my positive Holden experience and expecting the Ford to be better.

So firstly, the thing I noticed was the power, or lack thereof. Be it the pedal mapping or the weight of the car, it was slower. Soo much slower.

To drive, the Ford felt heavy. The front end was soo heavy – it was as if all the weight of the car was placed at the front. And the front is long. Around corners the nose would dive in and the rear being dangerously light felt like it would lose traction at any moment.

I was hoping to be blown away by the Ford's torque that everyone raved about but if it was there, it's lost in the driver experience. I felt the transmission changed gears too early, and to get it moving you've got to really give it gas and the car would lurch forward in an uncontrolled manner.

The most disturbing thing about the Ford was the steering. On full lock it made the engine have the most horrible whining noise. For a 2011 build car this is a deal breaker.

If you have to park anywhere in Zone 1 the car is too long – 10cm longer than the Holden, and you feel it. It's no good for the everyday commute.

The centre console was drowning in buttons with print way to small to read, the Holden IQ is a far better interface to use. And the fabric on the doors was horrible!

I would have to say the Holden had a far better interior fit-out also.

On a positive note, rear vision was better in the Ford but that's about all I can recall...

Overall it was the least positive experience I could have had in a car.

Verdict
=======

I currently have the Holden back and I'm left with no question in my mind what car I will be buying.

I just thought I had to leave this review because I have read so many people saying how great XR6 is but having now tried both – I'm totally bewildered as to how this conclusion can be arrived at.

I would urge anyone that reads reviews on these two cars to actually go out and drive both for a week before making up your mind.

joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
dannyxm
was danny888

Default Re: Maybe he works for "Drive.com"

Must be opposite day today?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Majestic

I never take a review serious until I start seeing lots of professional reviewers saying the same thing and then seeing the same thing being repeated by owners on forums.

If a professional wants to put down a good product and put his name to it - in the end he will just do more harm to his own reputation IMO
Old 03-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

His opinion though, and everyone is entitled to one.

Last edited by DJM83; 03-02-2012 at 09:58 AM.
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

everyone is entitled to their opinion and you wont be able to change it.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

When I saw the "whingepool" URL ... all credibility went out the window immediately.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
stevz
Banned

I don't think there is anything unreasonable written there. He probably doesn't see the world through blue coloured lenses like some do here, so what. I drive fg's and ve's on a regular basis and know that the ve isn't a pos like some here make it out to be. Far from it.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love some of the replies hes gotten in that forum....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Well just proves the point, you will allway's get to where ever your going earlier in the Falcon then the Commodore, you know with it's extra 10 cm and all..

The Falcon win's by a nose, I mean 10 cm....
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
I don't think there is anything unreasonable written there. He probably doesn't see the world through blue coloured lenses like some do here, so what. I drive fg's and ve's on a regular basis and know that the ve isn't a pos like some here make it out to be. Far from it.

True, but lack of power and so much slower????.... I have driven a VE Calais 6 and in comparison to an FG XR6, the VE does not have the power nor torque over the inline 6 ( regardless of what the specs are)...
Maybe the reviewer thought that because the VE was making so much noise that he was going quicker than he thought??
Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #11
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A said above its on whirlpool.... so who cares?

I see in the responses someone commenting on the sporty engine noise of SV6 is better then the Falcon.... sorry but have you ever heard an SV6 with an exhaust system? They sound horrible!

He makes the statement about speaking to the "hire car rep", Sounds like he went and hired a SV6 and an XR6. Sorry but there is no way i would make up my mind based on hire cars. The XR6 would have been gutless because it would have had E10 in the tank.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
z80
Banned

The guy hires a povvo pack locally produced work horse in it's basic appointment form and starts sooking about how basic it is.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
Torment47
Mr Hoon

[quote=joolz]I noticed this personal review in Whirlpool between the Sidi Commodore and the FG XR6. Basically said the Falcon is a box of s#*t and the Commodore is the best thing since sliced bread.
Its no wonder the publics perception of the Falcon is so bad when people actually swallow stories like this without actually driving the car and being honest about it.

Sounds like he just hates fords/falcons.....
i learn't to drive on a Vt commadore and i loved that car(my dads) he was considering giving it to me when he planned to buy his next car/4x4 but when the car was in workshop getting quoted he said Trans will cost me a bucket load and all the rest!

i had my heart set on buying a commadore when i first got my red p's but turns out ive got the Au falcon and NEVER looked back since and can't wait to buy my next car - Bf fairmont ghia

Also i love it how allot of holden drivers put on there plates - H8FORD,NOFORD,etc etc and yet ford drivers don;'t waste there plates with holden on them
Torment47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love the comment about the noisy power steering. Obviously he does not want anything that may override the loud and constant whine that comes from between the front seat and the steering wheel.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #15
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

typical Ford/Holden rivalry........just because it's printed, don't make it so.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torment47
=
Also i love it how allot of holden drivers put on there plates - H8FORD,NOFORD,etc etc and yet ford drivers don;'t waste there plates with holden on them
A bit like how South and Western Australians all seem to hate Victorians but the hatred isn't reciprocated.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also drove an SV6 and a xr6.
I preferred the Xr6

We all have different opinions.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #18
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i often find 0-100 in 7 seconds or less to be a hindrance around town, soooooo much slower than GM. The extra 10cm in length also makes going around corners impossible without mounting curbs. The worst part is when i intentionally, dim-wittedly strain the power steering pump by holding full lock, i can't hear my Hanson CD on the sub-par stereo, and GOD KNOWS how to turn it up as i can't read the tiny buttons. But then again when i'm sitting basically on the roof, that's the least of my concerns.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #19
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
A bit like how South and Western Australians all seem to hate Victorians but the hatred isn't reciprocated.
HEY!!! we don't hate victorian's......wait a minute..........................yes we do!

we've been giving each other stick for years and it is reciprocated around very campfire that I've shared with them!

same as Kiwi and Aussie,.....Ford v Holden is no different......mines ALWAYS better than yours

Pommies and Aussies...especially at the ashes time!

friendly rivalry will always be there

but when the chips are down who is the first on scene.....ask any vic who was first on scene when the bush fires broke out

then ask any South aussie who was first on scene on ash wednesday!.....

everybody hates banana benders but after the floods.......who turned up and who is still there helping!

we give each other stick but by hell when the chips are down

I see someone broken down on the road I don't see what sort of car they are driving or what state they come from,...the hand is extended regardless

there will ALWAYS be some loud mouth moron waiting in the background to throw his useless two bobs worth in and while he has viewers he will get credence!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #20
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
The only decent post in this thread so far.

Quote:
The first thing I noticed after getting into this car was the different seating position.. The Holden you sit "in" – as if the car is designed around the driver. The Ford you sit "on".. (more like driving a bus?)
He's not wrong here.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #21
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i'm not disputing the higher seating position, i know it for fact. The other comments are laughable though.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #22
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Exactly. I often wonder how many people who knock the Commodore have actually driven one...especially a 3 liter version. That thing has some serious go...the old saying "there's no substitute for cubic inches" isn't actually true anymore...there is...it's called "tehnology and clever design".

I've noticed the difference in the seats...you do indeed seem to "sit on" rather than "in" the seats. Other than that the G6E steers nicely and turns in well. The VE's we tested were just as good. Both had pluses and minuses, both had points that weren't up to scratch, both had points that really shone.

Basically, they're both bloody good cars that we are fortunate that the big two continue to make for such a small market. Approach them without pregidous and you'll usually find it's more a coin toss to choose between them and who gives a better trade in deal...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #23
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
I love some of the replies hes gotten in that forum....
Haha I was one of those people who replied back!!!
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #24
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oh god, let's hope CRYHSV or his wife doesn't see that (They have CRYHSV and LOLDEN on their cars) Hehehe
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #25
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I own a BA XR8 sedan, and a VE SSV ute. I agree about the seats and seating position, and the SSV has a much better sounding stereo than the XR8's Premium sound.

But the XR8 is still the better car to drive. (Although mine is a BA and not exactly stock). From memory even when stock, it was a much better car to drive. My Xr8 is a 4 speed auto, and it shifts perfectly, (shift points have been retuned), and my ute is a manual. The manual box is clunky and awkward, and the gear ratios arent really that great. (a 5 speed would have been much better).

The last Commodore we had (VY II Berlina Wagon, sold in 2007), had an auto. I will never buy an Automatic Holden again. Without a doubt, the worst auto I have ever driven.

As for the A pillar blind spot. Well, lets just say, on approaching roundabouts and intersections, you can lose an entire car in the blind spot.

Its not really a bad car, but the Falcon is just so much better.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #26
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So his saying the holden auto is better than the fords auto..... His a type of guy that would say sleeping with a fat hairy bloke is more fun than a supermodel because the extra 10cm makes a world of a difference
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #27
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz
If you have to park anywhere in Zone 1 the car is too long – 10cm longer than the Holden, and you feel it. It's no good for the everyday commute.
Now, this comment I like the most!! What a nobe!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #28
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Now, this comment I like the most!! What a nobe!!
so,going by his thinking in a reverse quote,.. the falcon due to the extra 10cm must be perfect for a family of five whereas "The Holden is no good for the everyday family of five".
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #29
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Well Im not entirely sure what that last point has to do with the thread in question. But I wouldnt waste my money on number plates like "Barry" or "FALCON".

If Im paying the money, I sure as s*** going to make it worth it and do a little stirring along the way. But hey, ofcourse, thats just my opinion...
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #30
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Fact- The Falcon IS heavier in the nose than the Commodore
Fact- The 3.6 SIDI is a touch quicker, but not noticeably like old mate claims
Fact- The Commodore has a better driving position

BS- Holden interior fitout is not better at all
BS- The 3.6 doesn't go better on less throttle than the I6, quite the other way around
BS- Holden IQ (unless they have updated it in the last 12 months) is not amazing by any stretch

The XR6 probably had a slipping belt causing it to whine on full lock. If he tested a MKII FG I'm sure it would have been a different story, the big touch screen would get half of those Whirlpool nerds hot in the pants.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post